Just how many metals combination exist

TE051

Assuming all 16 shards had burnable metals and they could be mixed with the 16 base metals how many metals could possibly be made. also including metals that could be created by one person controlling two shards and so forth.

Well, it depends. If you just calculate all the two-shard combinations, then it's not that many, relatively, but if you calculate all the three-shard combos, four-shard, etc.

That's when it starts to get crazy. 

That is a semi-complicated question, since we have WOB that there are many different alloys of god-metals. For example, you could potentially create several different metals if you used different amounts of lerasium and atium for each alloy.

I ignored this for now to simplify the math, as well as assumed that we would only be using the current known shards, since if you tried to calculate the number of combinations if a person held 2, 3, 4, etc, shards the number starts getting ridiculous.

In answer to your question, I believe there are about 305 possible combinations, if you ignore the conditions I mentioned.

*Ninja'd by StrikerEz

Edited by Faceless Mist-Wraith
Ninja'd

5 minutes ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

That is a semi-complicated question, since we have WOB that there are many different alloys of god-metals. For example, you could potentially create several different metals if you used different amounts of lerasium and atium for each alloy.

I ignored this for now to simplify the math, as well as assumed that we would only be using the current known shards, since if you tried to calculate the number of combinations if a person held 2, 3, 4, etc, shards the number starts getting ridiculous.

In answer to your question, I believe there are about 305 possible combinations, if you ignore the conditions I mentioned.

*Ninja'd by StrikerEz

Is this assuming that you can't combine god metals? cause if you can, there are way more

Well you did say possible metals, which means more than there actually are so let's see. 

Just to start you have 16 base metals, and an alloy of each with each of the 16 God metals. So 256.

Plus 16 for the God metals themselves. 

The we take each God metals and alloy it 50/50 with each of the others, for a possible combination of 120 purely 50/50 God metal alloys. 

Then we add the 1920 base metal alloys of those God metal alloys

And then realize that we'd have to go through this process for 3 - 15 shard alloys and just says "possible" is far higher than we'll ever care about, remember, or most importantly actually see happen in the Cosmere. 

Yes, I was originally only thinking of the combinations that were based of the base metals. If you add in god metal combinations, assuming you stick to two at a time, I believe there are 545 combinations. My math may be off though, so feel free to fact check me. I may have missed something.

Long story made short, there are a ridiculous number of combinations.

*Ninja'd again

Edited by Faceless Mist-Wraith
Ninja'd

Can't find the WoB at the moment, but he clarified some time ago that even with just the two shards on Scadrial there are an absurdly high number of possible allomantic metals.  For example: Gold + atium, Gold + atium + lerasium, Gold + atium + lerasium + atium, ect...

IIRC, he says outright that there would be some limit to this pattern and there are not an infinite number of metals, but he also makes no promises that all of the possible metals would do unique or interesting things.  It's possible that some or many of them do the same things and/or are so similar in composition that differentiating between them would be a herculean effort in and of itself.

• Chaos locked this topic