Where to go from here in the Cosmere

Xero stormz

Question

So far the cosmere novels I've picked up are the stormlight archive (Oathbringer already paid for just waiting until November) and the Mistborn trilogy. Where should I go from here? The Mistborn *sequel* books, Elantras? Arcanum unbound? I want to know everything about the Cosmere so sooner or later I will get them all but what should I focus on next?

9 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, Xero stormz said:

So far the cosmere novels I've picked up are the stormlight archive (Oathbringer already paid for just waiting until November) and the Mistborn trilogy. Where should I go from here? The Mistborn *sequel* books, Elantras? Arcanum unbound? I want to know everything about the Cosmere so sooner or later I will get them all but what should I focus on next?

My recommendation is you get arcanum unbounded, read Edgedancer, then read the three beautiful and lore-filled short stories, Warbreaker (free online), the Emperor's Soul and Sixth of the Dusk. Then go on to either new Mistborn if you want a series or Elantris for a good standalone and cool magic. (Or read one of the novels/short stories between the major works for light relief. 

Some people like chronological, others like publication order (which is close to chronological. But that's my order for maintaining interest and getting new bits of Cosmere knowledge in a nice drip-feed.

And of course be careful of spoilers on this site! Cosmere Theories and Q&A allow Spoilers without spoiler tags.

Edited by Extesian

Also, before reading Arcanum Unbound's Mistborn short stories, read the Mistborn sequels first, as the short stories contain spoilers for the sequel books (especially secret history).

My answer depends on which order you've read the books, and your opinion on spoilers. If you've just finished Mistborn and don't mind minor spoilers, read SH first, as well as the Eleventh Metal. Then read Warbreaker (it's free in Brandon's site) followed by Elantris and ES and Edgedancer. Then reread SH, because it will mean a lot more now. Now read all the other short stories + Era2 Scadrial. Note that Sixth of the Dusk should be read last. Once done, ask Brandon for a copy of White Sand and read that. 

If you just finished WoR, still buy AU and read Edgedancer. Then read Warbreaker, Elantris, and ES. Follow with Scadrial Era2. Then read SH, followed by everything else. Finally, ask Brandon for a copy of White Sand and read that.

SH is the funny one, since it rightfully belongs with Era 1. But it does have minor spoilers for BoM. If you just finished Mistborn I'd say it is worthwhile to read it anyway; that's just me though! SH also has a TON of Cosmere stuff; that's why you reread it once you know more about the three realms and Investiture.

I always recommend Warbreaker before the Stormlight Archive but, alas, no luck there. With what you have already read and your desire for deeper Cosmere knowledge then Mistborn: Secret History is your go-to. Tons of Cosmere knowledge there. It does have teeny, tiny spoilers for Mistborn era 2 (Wax & Wayne novels) but it is hardly worth mentioning.

I would recommend reading AU last as one certain story contains spoilers(Secret History). But also the cosmere will make more sense if you read everything else first. Once all of the novels are read you can read AU with a greater concept of magic and investiture and shards and such. Apart from that it doesn't really matter what the order of reading is.

On 6/15/2017 at 1:13 PM, CaptainRyan said:

I always recommend Warbreaker before the Stormlight Archive but, alas, no luck there. 

I always recommend reading Stormlight Archives last for two reasons. The first is that it is complex and especially younger readers need to build up to it. The second is what's the rush? Its going to be a long time until completion and even though Elantris and Warbreaker are getting eventual sequels they both end in a good place. 

To the original poster I recommend Elantris, Warbreaker, Wax and Wayne novels to be your next endeavor.

I started of with Mistborn, then Warbreaker, Stormlight Archive, Elantris, Mistborn Era 2, Secret History, then Emporer's Soul/Arcanium Unbound. After looking back, I would suggest:

1. Warbreaker

2. Elantris then Emporer's Soul (ES is optional but still good short read)

3. Mistborn Era 1

4. Mistborn Era 2 (up to BoM)

5. Secret History from AU (don't read Edgedancer yet)

6. Stormlight Archive (up to WoR)

7. Edgedancer from AU

I would also recommend Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell and Sixth of the Dust too if you want to take a break somewhere in this list.

I also went to one of Sanderson's book signings and he said the upcoming books for the Cosmere will also be coming out in this order (could be subject to change):

Spoiler

Stormlight 3
Mistborn 2.4
Stormlight 4
Elantris 2
Stormlight 5
Mistborn 3.1

Rithmatist 2 will be included somewhere in this upcoming list.

This is my personal list for those just barely beginning their journey into the Cosmere. Hope it helps!

Your humble servant...

Shadows4Silence