Accents/Dialects

Darth Revan

I know some of the audiobook accents aren't accurate. Herdazians are supposed to sound hispanic, but the narrator uses an Australian accent, I believe. (Brandon loves it, so it doesn't matter too much.)

Alethi has influences from real-life Hebrew and Arabic, so Vorin languages will probably sound very Middle-Eastern. There are three other major language groups on Roshar: Iri, Makabaki, and Dawnate. We've seen that Makabaki is more guttural than English; it might be similar to Arabic, as well. I don't think we've seen enough of the other two language families to make any educated guesses.

2 minutes ago, 8giraffe8 said:

I've always imagined Lopen like that Latino guy in Antman. Rock sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger or something.

I'm with you on Lopen, but From the moment I saw bits of rocks language he sounded Hawaiian. 

Just now, 8giraffe8 said:

I agree his language sounds Hawaiian. I don't know why I've always thought of his voice weirdly though haha

No arguments, and wasn't saying "you're wrong." for me he just didn't have a distinct voice until that moment. 

I always thought Rock's speech patterns seemed very much like a Russian speaking English, but the Horneater language seemed very reminiscent of Native American (I don't know enough about Hawaiian to see any overlap there :-( )

• 6 months later...

The Horneaters' language and culture are very much reminiscent of Polynesians'. I believe Rock would fit more into the Samoan/Tongan type than Hawaiian. Brandon does need to study their languages a bit more though, as he puts apostrophes/'okinas in seemingly random places. But that's just my opinion, it could be more related to Hawaiian, but his accent is certainly Polynesian. It's definitely not New Zealand though...

Edited by Jruesch2

• Chaos locked this topic