Compounding gold vs decapitation

Zmaray

The way I understand it is that by actively burning gold while the wound happens your soul will begin healing immediately and you would literally grow a new head in moments. The allomantic burn you started will be maintained... Somehow? 

If you aren't actively burning a gold Metalmind though, you're dead. So you either have to be continously burning, or see it coming. 

The Cosmere Healing didn't care of the physical condition of the body (with a specific exception).

So you could heal for something istantly fatal too.

I disagree with the previous post, to me you could tap a goldmind while you are "dead" but before (of course) to reach the Beyond.

We saw something like that at the end of BoM

10 minutes ago, Gudbrand said:

How do you survive decapitation by compounding gold?

6 minutes ago, Calderis said:

The way I understand it is that by actively burning gold while the wound happens your soul will begin healing immediately and you would literally grow a new head in moments. The allomantic burn you started will be maintained... Somehow? 

If you aren't actively burning a gold Metalmind though, you're dead. So you either have to be continously burning, or see it coming. 

It's not as clearcut as it would sound. Here.

[–]Logic_Nuke 6 points 1 year ago 

I heard you were still answering questions, so:

1. Could decapitation kill a Gold Compounder? With a guillotine, for example?

[–]mistborn[S] 10 points 1 year ago 

1. Most forms of extreme cosmere healing don't care much what is done to the physical body, as the person's spiritual template is in power at the time.

3 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Most forms of extreme cosmere healing don't care much what is done to the physical body, as the person's spiritual template is in power at the time.

Is in power. As in actively using investiture.

I suppose the process could start by just tapping a gold mind, but if you're not actively access F-gold when this happens shock and/or unconsciousness should keep you from using the power. By he time you "wake up" in the Cognitive like we've seen, your physical tie is already gone. 

Unless you can burn/tap F-gold while unconscious, I think that WoB means you'd have to be actively empowering the spirit with investiture. 

On 30/5/2017 at 8:27 PM, Calderis said:

I suppose the process could start by just tapping a gold mind, but if you're not actively access F-gold when this happens shock and/or unconsciousness should keep you from using the power. By he time you "wake up" in the Cognitive like we've seen, your physical tie is already gone. 

This is false, you spawn in the Cognitive as Soon as you die. The ties then took a bit of time to be cutted.

Then you start to feel the pull of the Beyond.

Again the BoM's last chapters show this

Edited by Yata

2 minutes ago, Yata said:

This is false, you spawn in the Cognitive as Soon as you die. The ties then took a bit of time to be cutted.

Thenyou start to feel the pull of the Beyond.

Again the BoM's last chapters show this

That was not a normal case. Harmony directly intervened to give Wax a choice. 

So spoilers

Spoiler

Did Szeth wake up in Shadesmar? He certainly doesn't seem to have any memory between the fall, and waking up with Nale. 

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:39 AM, Calderis said:

That was not a normal case. Harmony directly intervened to give Wax a choice. 

So spoilers

Hide contents

Did Szeth wake up in Shadesmar? He certainly doesn't seem to have any memory between the fall, and waking up with Nale. 

Nale didn't really give him a choice, from what I understand. Harmony was nice and gave Wax a choice. Nale doesn't seem like the most empathetic guy, so I'm guessing he just grabbed Nale out of Cognitive realm.

1 minute ago, Figberts said:

Nale didn't really give him a choice, from what I understand. Harmony was nice and gave Wax a choice. Nale doesn't seem like the most empathetic guy, so I'm guessing he just grabbed Nale out of Cognitive realm.

Spoiler

I never implied Nale gave Szeth a choice. He just used the fabrial on a dead Szeth who was still tied to his body and thus didn't "wake up" in the Cognitive and has no memory between dying and resurrection. 

10 hours ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

Would you still grow a new head if the weapon was left where it was, so that it keeps the head and body separate?

I don't think it would make a difference, I just wanted to ask.

I think the Healing will be consumed to mantain the body "alive" and then to fix it...so with a weapon left there, if the weapon could be pushed out from muscles it would be removed. A weapon unremovable would probably avoid the fully regeneration...Like a cycle of hurt and heal

On 5/30/2017 at 0:07 PM, Gudbrand said:

How do you survive decapitation by compounding gold?

It's stated in Mistborn that for The Lord Ruler:

He ignores normal wounds, and decapitation only annoys him.

I think it's interesting that they make a distinction about how he handles being decapitated; the characters seem to imply that decapitation does affect TLR slightly (albeit not for long), or at least screw with him a bit, unlike simply being stabbed in the chest with several spears.  I imagine how he healed losing his head depended on the situation.  I'd assume that his body would first attempt to heal the tissue connecting his severed head then, if that failed either because someone grabbed the head and ran off or it was completely destroyed, grow a new one.

If something was physically restricting the regrowth I assume that it couldn't happen, with the caveat that his corpse would probably be flailing around, not just sitting still.

4 hours ago, hwiles said:

the characters seem to imply that decapitation does affect TLR slightly (albeit not for long), or at least screw with him a bit, unlike simply being stabbed in the chest with several spears.

I'd figure it has something to do with the strange experience of losing most of your senses(sight, hearing, taste, smell, balance(inner ear), etc..) all at once for a few seconds as your head regrows.

And if the head regrows from the neck up, you might regain those senses from the neck up(mouth, nose, ears/eyes) and I think that'd be very disorienting to the unprepared. Maybe he hasn't had to deal with something like that in centuries, or perhaps disorientation from mass sensory loss and a staggered restoration is unavoidable?

Slightly off topic...if you were to sever their torso above the stomach (where fuel for compunding currently is) separating the brain from the thing that facilitates extreme healing...what happens? Does the lower portion with the gold grow a new top of the body...or does the upper portion with the brain die? Of the lower portion grows a new body...could you use some form of advanced medicine to,preserve the upper portion and effectively clone someone?

9 minutes ago, hoidhunter said:

Slightly off topic...if you were to sever their torso above the stomach (where fuel for compounding currently is) separating the brain from the thing that facilitates extreme healing...what happens? Does the lower portion with the gold grow a new top of the body...or does the upper portion with the brain die? Of the lower portion grows a new body...could you use some form of advanced medicine to,preserve the upper portion and effectively clone someone?

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=944#6

Soronir

About Miles from Alloy of Law and his regenerative powers. If he was bisected down the middle and the halves were separated immediately before the healing process could begin, would the two halves each regrow into a whole Miles?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question. In all of the Cosmere's Shard-based magics, the greater portion of a bisected body regrows the lesser portion. If it were done EXACTLY halfway, the soul wold jump to one or the other randomly and that would regrow.

Amusingly, this first came up in 1999, six years before I got published. (I see someone else already mentioned the situation where I had to consider it.)

[...]

Phantine

Actually, this is kind of a sillier followup to a silly question, but could you use Forgery to say 'actually, this half had 51% instead of 49%' and temporarily clone Miles?

Brandon Sanderson

Boy. That's a can of worms, right there...

Bold for emphasis added

Edited by The One Who Connects

So if you wore your only goldmind on your head and got decapitated you just die?

Because the spirit stays with the larger portion. I mean if you carried your only goldmind on your arm and that arm got cut off, the rest of you wouldnt drop dead while the arm grows a new you...

Well...This is speculative...but if you were already tapping the goldmind worn on your arm/head before it was cut off, the spiritual link between your body, your severed appendage, and your goldmind should be able to be maintained, allowing the part to reattach as long as it wasn't kept separated.  If a Thug ripped the arm with the goldmind off and ran down the street with it I'm less sure this would work, but it might be possible.  

WoB maintains that if a gold compounder who was actively burning and compounding gold had their allomancy stolen with a hemalurgic spike, their burning wouldn't be interrupted; they would heal the wound, both physical and spiritual, without experiencing even a temporary loss of allomancy.  The justification is something along the lines of: an Investiture is much easier to maintain than it is to initiate.

• Chaos locked this topic