Tien's rocks are something more?

Hey 17th shard!Im new to this,so pls excuse me if I make mistakes.So,I was rereading Wok recently,and Tien's fascination with rocks confused me.

Spoiler

Wok part 2 chapter 16

Tien opened his hands to reveal a small stone,weathered on all sides but with a jagged break on the bottom.Kal picked it up,looking it over.He couldn't see anything distinctive about it at all.In fact,it was dull. 

"It's just a rock,"Kal said.

"Not just a rock,"Tien said,taking out his canteen. He wetted his thumb,then rubbed it on the flat side of the stone, and made visible an array of white patterns in the rock. "See?" Time asked, handing it back.

The strata of the rock alternated white, brown, black.The pattern was remarkable.

Now,this is pure speculation,but where else have we seen strange patterns?Thats right,the parshendi!This might be stupid,but you never know,

After all weren't the listeners on Roshar before the humans?Could they have some special link to the rocks or the strata of Roshar?Just sharing my thoughts 

this is 100% speculation of course,just joining a few common patterns,something pattern would have been proud of?;)

Edited by StormblessDave

1 minute ago, 8giraffe8 said:

Could it have been a really small Cryptic or something? It was blending but the water ruined its camouflage? I dunno. I do feel like there's something more to Tien and his tendencies.

I'm trying to find it and failing, but I swear there's a WoB that Tien was a Proto-lightweaver. It explains both his ability to just cheer up Kaladin similar to how Shallan does in the Chasm, and his hyper realistic Horse carving. I'll keep looking. 

3 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I'm trying to find it and failing, but I swear there's a WoB that Tien was a Proto-lightweaver. It explains both his ability to just cheer up Kaladin similar to how Shallan does in the Chasm, and his hyper realistic Horse carving. I'll keep looking. 

Ooooh that'd be awesome

50 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I've never seen a WoB regarding this but I'd love to if someone has it.

With that said, there is a WoB that confirms that Tien was Autistic. I suspect that this is actually where his interest in rocks comes from. I have an Autistic brother and can say from experience (both my brother and other Autistic kids I have worked with) that a borderline obsession with rocks is pretty common with people relatively far into the Autistic spectrum.

Edited by The Sovereign
formatting.

3 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

I've never seen a WoB regarding this but I'd love to if someone has it.

With that said, there is a WoB that confirms that Tien was Autistic. I suspect that this is actually where his interest in rocks comes from. I have an Autistic brother and can say from experience (both my brother and other Autistic kids I have worked with) that a borderline obsession with rocks is pretty common with people relatively far into the Autistic spectrum.

Just curious, does anyone know if Brandon has a family member with autism or anything like that? It seems like he has a large number of characters on the autism spectrum, or with mental health issues in general. 

2 hours ago, Renecade said:

Just curious, does anyone know if Brandon has a family member with autism or anything like that? It seems like he has a large number of characters on the autism spectrum, or with mental health issues in general. 

That's so true, and the fact that Renarin, who has fits is going to be a main pov character does seem to indicate Brandon might have someone close to him experiencing autism or seizures. Great work Brandon,incorporating so many things into your books, it makes them more realistic.

7 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

I suspect that this is actually where his interest in rocks comes from. I have an Autistic brother and can say from experience (both my brother and other Autistic kids I have worked with) that a borderline obsession with rocks is pretty common with people relatively far into the Autistic spectrum.

Oh. This makes a lot of sense. I do like rocks.......

But on topic, it is absolutely amazing that Brandon has so many autistic characters. Both his portrayal and the amount of characters he has that are autistic represent the general population pretty well.  

• Chaos locked this topic