Tesh

Do you have an imaginary person in the Cosmere who you turn into when you're bored?

198 posts in this topic

@Nathrangking Yay! I will add you to the PMs momentarily.

Please read as much as you can, but we will give you the main info.

My name is Wilberforce Thornton. I'm not quite sure how to explain myself, but I'll do my best.

I lived many long years on Threnody, living a simple life of a scholar. My life was not ideal -- no one's is, especially in Hell -- but I found happiness in learning and preserving knowledge. I moved among the forts, restoring books or copying their contents onto more stable parchment. In my work I discovered an ancient book written in nearly indecipherable script, hinting that the Evil was not as contained as all we hoped it to be. It spoke of a magic available to those who were willing to pay the price, the price of their body.

Using techniques I will not mention here, I became a Cognitive Shadow with full sentience, and I fled the doom I felt certain to befall us. Time has taught me my mistake was rash, and I soon grew displeased with my lack of a physical connection. I came to Roshar to see if the wonders of its magic could do anything for my state, but the Aimians did not take kindly to my presence on their isle, even in the Cognitive realm. The spren all shun me, and I am forced to watch without interfering.

But I can interfere, just not in the typical way. My long stay in the Cognitive Realm has given me the magic I first thought only a vague possibility.

My magic is called Syphon, also known as Shadowmancy. It is the manipulation of ideas. Not big ones, not important ones, but small, everyday ideas. I can give hints to minds that they otherwise would not have obtained. I can draw men and women into fantasy that distracts them from the world around them. I can view a soul and judge of its propensity for good or evil, and it is very difficult to lie to me when I am focused. And, most importantly, I can make myself completely invisible in every realm but the Spiritual, though only through intense concentration.

The spren notice a little of this, but I operate on such a subtle level that they can only guess what I am doing. I steal even those suspicions and Syphon them away, keeping myself secure. I hope you realize the danger I place myself in by coming to you, but I felt that such brilliant minds as yours -- to remain hidden in the shadows, ignored and reviled whilst effecting great change -- might be able to offer a remedy to my ... disembodiment.

My aid is not contingent on your help, of course, but I cannot do much more than watch and wonder. I have observed you briefly, and where others ridicule your naivete I see great potential for good. Being ignored, as I have so painfully learned, can allow one to interact in a much more intricate way with the events of the Cosmere.

I would fain be glad to join my efforts to your forces, if our aims can be aligned. Meanwhile, you can find me searching old tomes and composing epics of my own.

Thank you for your consideration.

Edited by Shadowmancer

5 minutes ago, Tesh said:

@Shadowmancer Yay! I will add you to the PMs momentarily.

Please read as much as you can, but we will give you the main info.

5 minutes ago, Shadowmancer said:

My name is Wilberforce Thornton. I'm not quite sure how to explain myself, but I'll do my best.

I lived many long years on Threnody, living a simple life of a scholar. My life was not ideal -- no one's is, especially in Hell -- but I found happiness in learning and preserving knowledge. I moved among the forts, restoring books or copying their contents onto more stable parchment. In my work I discovered an ancient book written in nearly indecipherable script, hinting that the Evil was not as contained as all we hoped it to be. It spoke of a magic available to those who were willing to pay the price, the price of their body.

Using techniques I will not mention here, I became a Cognitive Shadow with full sentience, and I fled the doom I felt certain to befall us. Time has taught me my mistake was rash, and I soon grew displeased with my lack of a physical connection. I came to Roshar to see if the wonders of its magic could do anything for my state, but the Aimians did not take kindly to my presence on their isle, even in the Cognitive realm. The spren all shun me, and I am forced to watch without interfering.

But I can interfere, just not in the typical way. My long stay in the Cognitive Realm has given me the magic I first thought only a vague possibility.

My magic is called Syphon, also known as Shadowmancy. It is the manipulation of ideas. Not big ones, not important ones, but small, everyday ideas. I can give hints to minds that they otherwise would not have obtained. I can draw men and women into fantasy that distracts them from the world around them. I can view a soul and judge of its propensity for good or evil, and it is very difficult to lie to me when I am focused. And, most importantly, I can make myself completely invisible in every realm but the Spiritual, though only through intense concentration.

The spren notice a little of this, but I operate on such a subtle level that they can only guess what I am doing. I steal even those suspicions and Syphon them away, keeping myself secure. I hope you realize the danger I place myself in by coming to you, but I felt that such brilliant minds as yours -- to remain hidden in the shadows, ignored and reviled whilst effecting great change -- might be able to offer a remedy to my ... disembodiment.

My aid is not contingent on your help, of course, but I cannot do much more than watch and wonder. I have observed you briefly, and where others ridicule your naivete I see great potential for good. Being ignored, as I have so painfully learned, can allow one to interact in a much more intricate way with the events of the Cosmere.

I would fain be glad to join my efforts to your forces, if our aims can be aligned. Meanwhile, you can find me searching old tomes and composing epics of my own.

Thank you for your consideration.

Welcome @Shadowmancer!

Welcome, @Shadowmancer! Your magic is super cool, thanks for explaining it to us. Also, I can't say I minded your bit about our "brilliant minds" (though it's mostly just me:P

My character's name is Arianna, but she prefers Ari. She was born on Scadrial and is a Soother. She carries brass on her person at all times. She is cautious and conservative, but confident. When she was 12, she accidentally world hopped to Nalthis. She spent a year there, and during that time, acquired 612 Breaths; enough to achieve the third heightening. Being a Soother made it much easier to gain breaths.

When she was 13 or so she finally found a way back to Scadrial, which she had been trying to find a way back to ever since she discovered Nalthis. After a time, she figured that there must be other worlds, like the one she had visited, and made it her goal to discover them all. She also vowed to uncover all the secrets each planet held.

So off she went. The next planet she traveled to was Roshar. This is where she currently is. She is now at the age of 14, and knows about the Knights Radient, though not as much as she would like to. She has only been on Roshar for about 4 months, (by Scadrial's calander), but is planning on staying here quite a while longer to discover the rest of Roshar's secrets. Then, she will travel the rest of the Cosmere!

Edit: She also has brown hair that reaches to her waist. Her eyes are a kind of dull green color. And she's only about five foot.

Edited by Rebecca

3 hours ago, Rebecca said:

My character's name is Arianna, but she prefers Ari. She was born on Scadrial and is a Soother. She carries brass on her person at all times. She is cautious and conservative, but confident. When she was 12, she accidentally world hopped to Nalthis. She spent a year there, and during that time, acquired 612 Breaths; enough to achieve the third heightening. Being a Soother made it much easier to gain breaths.

When she was 13 or so she finally found a way back to Scadrial, which she had been trying to find a way back to ever since she discovered Nalthis. After a time, she figured that there must be other worlds, like the one she had visited, and made it her goal to discover them all. She also vowed to uncover all the secrets each planet held.

So off she went. The next planet she traveled to was Roshar. This is where she currently is. She is now at the age of 14, and knows about the Knights Radient, though not as much as she would like to. She has only been on Roshar for about 4 months, (by Scadrial's calander), but is planning on staying here quite a while longer to discover the rest of Roshar's secrets. Then, she will travel the rest of the Cosmere!

Edit: She also has brown hair that reaches to the middle of her back. Her eyes are a kind of dull green color. And she's only about five foot.

Great! Thanks!

@Rebecca Welcome! The role playing that we are currently doing is wrapping up, so we're starting to create a new one. Hopefully we can get you in soon!

Edited by Serce Forts

(I'm warning you now, this is going to be long. Read at your own risk.)

Greetings. The name is Firerust. Or rather, that is a name I go by. My real name is Rathil, and my story is a rather long and painful one.

Part One

Spoiler

I started life as a simple skaa half-breed named Rathil, born to a noblewoman mother and a skaa father in the city of Luthadel. When I was nine, I watched in secret as my parents, siblings, and half-siblings were all slaughtered by a pair of Steel Inquisitors. I watched it all happen as the only survivor. That experience gave me strong loathing of the Inquisitors that eclipsed that of the nobility, the other minor obligators, and even the Lord Ruler himself. As I grew up alone, I remained emotionally scarred, hollow, secretive... and depressed. I never looked for a fight or to seek attention, but I never backed out of one I was forced into. I made small, insignificant thefts of atium and obsidian for employment. I served different crewleaders from time to time. I smuggled and swindled my around business deals when I needed to. I lived in Luthadel long enough to hate the place and the entire world around me.I made sure that no could ever hurt me except myself. And hurt myself I did. Quite a lot. Depression was my lifelong plague, happiness or satisfaction simply a fantasy that I wondered how any skaa could possess. And one day, I fell over the edge and attempted to take my own life. The result was... glorious. Instead of dying, I Snapped. The power of Allomancy awakened within me as my soul strained, cracked, and repaired itself anew to be greater than it ever was before. I soon discovered that I was an atium Misting, also known as a Seer. That knowledge invigorated me into finding a sense of purpose, and I began to try making a difference in life. I used my skills in business-savviness, thievery, and hiding to start a secretive criminal underground, one that remained unknown to the Steel Ministry and the Survivor's rebellion (I wanted no part in that).

Part Two

Spoiler

Across the years, my cohorts and I stole atium, glass, obsidian, and more for the purpose of selling to willing buyers and using for myself. A Seer needs his atium to burn, does he not? And after enough years of burning that godly metal, I became what's known an atium savant. My skill with the metal became transcendent. I could read the atium-shadows of people's lips to know what they'd say before they even spoke. I could anticipate an attack and escape it by instinct without even burning the metal. A part of me practically came to exist in the future, And because of that, I was constantly thinking of what I wanted my future to be and how I would obtain it. I didn't steal the atium just to burn it or simply become rich and happy. I never had time for something like happiness. I stole the glass and the obsidian to carve into daggers, a type of weapon that I'd become very proficient in using in my life. Those were simply for my protection and collection. I like daggers, and I don't trust metal. Metal was what Inquisitors had stabbed into their bodies. Metal was how they found people. Which is why I had a group of Smoker Mistings in my vicinity at all times, people who could keep the Inquisitors from finding me and my few minions who were also Allomancers. Those Smokers became my close and only friends. The only people in the world who knew my as I really am, the man named Rathil. All the rest simply knew me as the urban legend thief named Firerust. But I digress. I had a future in mind. And it began with leaving the wretched city Luthadel after saving up enough money and resources. After that, I intended to leave the Final Empire, the world, completely. And the time to do so was eventually forced upon me.

Part Three

Spoiler

I was thirty-nine at the time. It happened because of the rebellion. The Pits of Hathsin, primary source of my income, were destroyed. House wars began between the nobility. And after the Survivor of died and his alleged spirit lived on to encourage and incite the skaa people, I realized my group and I couldn't stay in hiding forever. So I cut all my ties to the underground, gathered my atium collection and my assortment of knives, took my close friends with me, and began leaving the city. But city guards attempted to stop us, so I revealed myself publicly by using my combined skills of foresight and knife fighting to combat defeat them. We were just about to make our escape, but my actions caught the attention of a Steel Inquisitor; one of the very same that slaughtered my family. It began attacking my cohorts, even killing a couple of my own friends, but I attracted its attention to me so let the rest escape. I tricked it into burning a vial of metals containing aluminum to negate its Allomantic abilities, and commenced with what I had secretly desired since the age of nine -- the chance to kill an Inquisitor. Our battle was long, arduous, and brutal. Many spectators watched as I matched myself against one of the Lord Ruler's choice champions, slowly wearing it down. But it drew me out until I ran out of atium, then pressed his attack using Feruchemy. Soon enough, it overpowered me and prepared to end my life. But right before it could, another Inquisitor came out of nowhere and killed it by tearing a spike out of its back. This newcomer, calling himself Marsh, explained how he was going about killing all the other Inquisitors and urged me to take my friends and leave quickly as things were becoming even more hectic. So my Coppercloud friends and I left the city, taking our money, food, and supplies that we'd need on our journey to leave the Final Empire...

Part Four

Spoiler

We traveled northward, Not knowing what we'd find in the great beyond, but confident that we would be able to because of the Final Empire's fall. We moved slowly, taking the time to enjoy ourselves with the prospect of freedom. They stopped being simply my "Coppercloud companions" and became my true friends. I was able to stop being Firerust and just be Rathil. For a brief time, we were happy. I was actually happy. It was an emotion I very rarely felt, and it was unfortunately short-lived. We hadn't gotten that far before my companions and I encountered a small troupe of soldiers from the Northern Dominance, a part of Straff Venture's army. They attempted to kill us all, but I single-handedly fought off and slayed them all. It may sound harsh and merciless, but letting even one live would have given us away to the rest of the army. Then we knew that we had to pick up the pace, which meant abandoning all levity. Eventually, after days of traveling, we passed by a large body of refugees led by a white-haired, hawk-faced, quick-witted young man who warned us about a series of terrible events that had occurred in the Terris Dominance. This only unsettled us even further, and prompted us to change our course to a different direction for safety's sake. But not long afterwards, another problem came along just when we thought things couldn't get worse -- koloss. A group of four of them had been wandering nearby; where they came from, I never knew. But I knew that among my friends and I, I was the only one who had a chance of stopping them from massacring us and the nearby refugees. So I faced off against these koloss in the most intense fight of my life, one that put my climactic duel with the Inquisitor to shame. I wore them down using the last of the knives I still had (I had previously traded some of them for food with a group of vagabonds) and my bare hand. i tricked them into killing a couple of their own before killing the last two myself. But not before one sheared down one of my closest friends and the other chopped off my left hand at the wrist. My atium had run out and it was too fast for me to have seen it coming. At the end of it all, I knelt in a pile of koloss corpses and that of one of my own, missing a hand and soaked from head to toe in bright red koloss blood. Any semblance of happiness I'd had in days past was obliterated by the cruel reality of the world's death and gore. Never again would I let myself be something so foolish and childish as "happy".

Part Five

Spoiler

As the last three of my family (for that was what they had become to me, no longer just friends) followed me alone across the edge of the Northern Dominance, we quickly gave up hope. The last of our food was dwindling, the ashfalls became steadily stronger, and the only metal we had left was the atium I carried in a small, aluminum-lined pouch meant to conceal them from Lurchers, Coinshots, Mistborn, and maybe even Inquisitors, even though they were all dead now. Or so I thought. After long enough, one of my family died of hunger, fatigue, and the lack of a will to live. We left him to be buried by that ash, as we felt all his symptoms, too. The last two became cold against me for leading them on this stupid expedition that would lead us nowhere and leave us to die in the ash at the edge of the world. They were right to think so. I hated myself for ever having the ridiculous notion of leaving them Empire and taking them with me. The hunger, the fatigue, the self-hating, the rising ash levels, the slowing pace, the utter dejection of it all... It all left me wanting to finish what I'd started and failed on the day I Snapped. And I'm sure they felt doing likewise. Fortunately (or unfortunately, I couldn't tell the difference at the time), we never had to. Someone else came to finish the job. On the day we gave up entirely, another Inquisitor of all things arrived to find us. It was different from any whom I had seen before, and before we could do anything to stand against it, let alone ask why it had come, it quickly and effortlessly used a handful of coins to run through and instantly kill the last two of my friends. My family. I lost my family to the Steel Inquisitors all over again. It was over. Using its fist and an obsidian-studded club, it beat me down, demanding where the atium was. It continued until my arm with the missing hand was chopped at even more and leg was mangled and shattered. I finally relented, opening the bag and showing it the last of atium I had, weeping until no more tears could come out of me. What was the point of resisting? My family was gone. I was broken beyond repair. I had no more purpose. To think I still had one meant my life was a lie. I weeped and wailed, flailing aimlessly in the ash. Even if the spike-eyed creature didn't kill me, I'd still die alone in the ash. But before it could finish me off, someone else arrived to halt it...

Part Six

Spoiler

Before I passed into unconsciousness, I heard a man arrive seemingly out of nowhere, rudely asking the Steel Inquisitor if he would leave me be and let him talk to someone he called Ati. At least, I think I remember that, but it was difficult to recall, as I blacked out soon thereafter. When I woke up, I found myself sedated in a ramshackle tent with that same man. I saw that it was the white-haired refugee leader, and he claimed to have talked the Inquisitor into sparing me and leaving with the atium. I found that had also tended to some of my wounds and given me a bit more to eat. I had lost everything and should have died, and yet he had still bothered to try saving my life. I couldn't understand why he would have done that. Couldn't he see that I was as good as dead and had no reason to live? I told him to just kill me, and he told me that he was technically unable to do that because of his upbringing. So when I stupidly threatened to just kill him instead for saving me even though I was physically unable to, he told me I couldn't do that for the same reason. I instead asked him why he saved me, and he told me a story. It was one meant for my ears and mine only, so I cannot utter it now. But suffice it to say, he made a point of trying to convince me that we can always have a purpose, and that a happy ending may be possible, no matter how depressing so many story endings can be. He asked me what I had thought my purpose was, and because I was in no shape to do anything, I opened up and told him everything.

Part Seven

Spoiler

The man listened to it as one would a good story, and made comparisons between my life's story and the one he had told me. He then told me that he knew of a way I could fulfill one of my purposes, one of my lifelong objectives. He told me that there was a way to leave this world entirely, not just simply the Final Empire. But to another planet entirely. He told me that I accomplish that one thing, make one great success out of a series of tragic failures. I had a chance to leave Scadrial just as I'd always wanted, and he offered me with a sincere promise that he'd help me do so. I begrudgingly accepted, seeing no reason to do anything else, as everything else was lost. And he had shown me unconditional kindness and saved my life, for which I eventually decided to be grateful. He then gave me a two-option choice, without explaining what it meant: "Roshar or Threnody?" I had no idea what that meant, but it was the choice he gave me. Which of those paths I took is up to you to decide, but suffice it to say that becoming a Worldhopper like this nameless man certainly helped to... lessen the pain of all the loss I'd felt before, to give me a new sense of purpose. Especially once I found out that because of the damage and strain done to my soul from being an atium savant and suffering intense physical and emotional agony, my soul had opened wide enough to give me access to the magic systems of other worlds. And that is where my new story -- my new purpose -- began.

(Wew, that took quite a while.)

Edit: And now I will add a little more of my character bio just for the sake of detail.

Aliases and Nicknames: Firerust, Bolt, Wisp, Knife, the Shattered Soul

Eyes: Hazel, but can be varied

Hair: Brown, but can be vaired

Physical Appearance: Large in stature but rather unassuming

Personality: Secretive, brooding, domineering, quiet but commanding, calm but short-tempered, vengeful, curious, secretly adventurous

Family: Many family members and family friends previously: none currently; all dead now

Weapons: Daggers made of obsidian, stone, and glass, special dagger made from a silver-aluminum alloy, fists, persuasion

Investiture-related abilities: I'm not only a Seer (Atium Misting) when I'm on Scadrial, but I've been burning atium for so long that I've become a savant. I can now anticipate the near future even when not burning the metal and when I do, I can see the future so precisely that I can even tell what people are going to say before they say it by lip-reading. My savantism that comes from constant burning of the metal has caused me to become closely connected to the Spiritual Realm, as well as widening the cracks in my soul to accommodate other forms of Investiture. For example: When on Roshar, I am capable of breathing in Stormlight, which heals my injuries and enhances my physical abilities, but I am incapable of accessing any of the Surges and truly becoming a Knight Radiant. When on Threnody, the shades ignore me for reasons not completely known to me. Perhaps my soul is so broken, they see me as one of their own. Figures.

Skills and Abilities: Though I do no wish to brag, I will simply state the facts: I am a skilled fistfighter and knife fighter, I am rather proficient in lip-reading, I'm easily persuasive and secretive to the point of being able to create a secretive underground criminal business multiple times over, and I am a master thief of valuable resources (i.e. atium, obsidian, Rosharan spheres, etc).

Edited by Ookla the Rusty
Added character info and tweaks to the backstory

2 minutes ago, Firerust said:

I stole the glass and the obsidian to carve into daggers, a type of weapon that I'd become very proficient in using in my life. Those were simply for my protection and collection. I like daggers, and I don't trust metal.

!!! Someone else who likes daggers! :D 

4 hours ago, Shadows4Silence said:

I do like your story though.

Thanks! I like yours too! I have a feeling that an interaction between our characters would be an intense one indeed.

Here's the profile for my side character:

Aersa is currently an accountant. She also doubles as an undercover police - so wherever they need her to keep an eye on things she takes a job there.  She is also a Windwhisper and a Thug. She is on the smaller side, brown eyes, really dark hair

Aersa has a quiet nature, preferring to stay unseen and observe. People often mistake that for shyness and timidity, which can give her an edge on some tricky situations. She simply doesn't see the point of making a fuss when a problem could be solved with diplomacy, but she certainly doesn't mind creating one when someone refuses to accommodate peacefully.

On 9/2/2017 at 2:23 PM, Shadows4Silence said:

Except I'm dead...

Thanks for reminding me. -_- Mathis was an awesome, well developed character. Who you had to kill.

:D

Hi!

I sincerely hope I'm not too late to post this. Here is my mental cosmere history. I apologize in advance, as I'm a little more powerful than most would imagine. I do however, promise to use my powers in good faith.. Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.

when I dream myself into the cosmere, I imagine a young skaa boy with bright blue eyes unsure of his parentage, but runs with the street crews. I was called young reaper, because of my allomantic abilities, and the way I used them. I could both push and pull metals, burning iron and steel. I was kept a secret, as it was believed that I only possessed 2 attributes of allomancy, which was unheard of. The mystery of how I could have 2 kept me safe. The truth, however, is that I was a full-fledged mistborn, I just didn't know how to use the other abilities.

I was called young reaper because I would carry the heads of scythes, throw them like a disc, then pull them back, cleaving the heads off of those who abused others my age or younger. I was their protector. I was 12.

Fast forward a bit, I was 15 and witnessed the death of kelsier. That night, I went to bed crying, wishing in my heart of hearts to be part of a better world. Part of something bigger than myself. When I woke up, I was greeted by the stench of what I later found out was chull dung. I had somehow transported myself from Scadrial to Roshar - specifically in the farms of Kholinar. I was caught off guard to be greeted with respect, and treated like a noble. I kept my allomancy to myself, besides, I didn't know where to find any proper iron nor steel, and I got myself a job working with a weaponsmith, and received the title of 8th Dahn.

Fast forward to now, I'm 25 and a master smith, with the official rank of 5th Dahn, however I will soon be 4th Dahn, as I have spoken the first ideals of the willshapers, and am getting to know my spren. I don't know much about her yet, but we're learning together.

Oh, by the way, I've abandoned the the name of young reaper. I go simply by Jay.

@JayDeusMortis You should check out the Surgefinders! (See: second paragraph in my signature). And you aren't to late or to powerful. ;)

Believe me, my character's story is not yet over ;) but I do plan on writing my story in much further detail.