Bands of Mourning Question

Andy92

I feel kinda dumb for asking this lol, but I've been somewhat confused about the origin of the Bands of Mourning seen in the newest book (the metalmind that's a spearhead). Throughout the entire book, they're looking for the bracers originally worn by The Lord Ruler. And when they find the Bands, they actually come in the form of a something shaped like a spearhead that was left by the Sovereign. So my question is, was this spearhead re-forged using the original bracers The Lord Ruler wore? Or is the spearhead a completely new metalmind that Kelsier figured out how to make and The Lord Ruler's bracers or just gone? 

Seems like a dumb question but I never quite got how The Lord Ruler's bands tied into the spearhead or if they were even the same thing. 

2 minutes ago, Andy92 said:

I feel kinda dumb for asking this lol, but I've been somewhat confused about the origin of the Bands of Mourning seen in the newest book (the metalmind that's a spearhead). Throughout the entire book, they're looking for the bracers originally worn by The Lord Ruler. And when they find the Bands, they actually come in the form of a something shaped like a spearhead that was left by the Sovereign. So my question is, was this spearhead re-forged using the original bracers The Lord Ruler wore? Or is the spearhead a completely new metalmind that Kelsier figured out how to make and The Lord Ruler's bracers or just gone? 

Seems like a dumb question but I never quite got how The Lord Ruler's bands tied into the spearhead or if they were even the same thing. 

The Lord Rulers bracers were straight Atium. What happened to them I have no clue, But the bands that we see seem to be a creation of the Sovereign. His motives in appearing as TLR is another can of worms 

17 minutes ago, Calderis said:

The Lord Rulers bracers were straight Atium.

How I've read every book and still managed to not pick up on this I have no clue lol. But thanks for the clarification. I didn't think the spearhead was made from the same metal that TLR wore but I wasn't 100% sure. 

1 minute ago, Andy92 said:

How I've read every book and still managed to not pick up on this I have no clue lol.

If I hadn't lurked on this site for a couple of years before starting to post regularly a couple months ago, I'd never have remembered it either. In book there's the mythos around TLR and the bands, and then we see the new Bands and unless you pick up who the Sovereign is from the end of BoM, and peice that together with the new information about Southern Scadrial, and how this all happened after the Catacendre and thus after TLRs death, and than additionally remember the lines from era 1 about Rashek's bracers being Atium... 

It's super easy to lose info with how deep everything is in Brandon's books. I totally understand. 

For Reference:

They had found some small bit—the atium that had made up the bracers that the Lord Ruler had used as a Feruchemical battery to store up age. However, they had spent those on supplies for the city, and they had actually contained only a very small bit of atium. Nothing like the cache was said to have. There should still be, somewhere in the city, a wealth of atium thousands of times larger than those bracers.

Thanks for the replies everyone. That helps clear up the confusion. I was pretty sure the bracers and the spearhead were two different things, I just couldn't pinpoint what exactly was going on. 

That the Spearhead isn't made of the bracers like everyone says, I agree.

But if I remember correctly, the bracers likely aren't 100% Atium.

Elend needed to sell them (Band 2 or 3? Don't remember....) and he said it was surprising, that not more Atium was inside. So I make the conclusion it was mixed with something else. Probably also a Feruchemical mind (obviously, except the Atium with the Age).

5 minutes ago, Thunder_93 said:

That the Spearhead isn't made of the bracers like everyone says, I agree.

But if I remember correctly, the bracers likely aren't 100% Atium.

Elend needed to sell them (Band 2 or 3? Don't remember....) and he said it was surprising, that not more Atium was inside. So I make the conclusion it was mixed with something else. Probably also a Feruchemical mind (obviously, except the Atium with the Age).

I always took this to be referring to the atium cache. They were able to sell the bracers and get a decent amount of money for the amount of atium that was in them, but on the scale of running a kingdom it was a drop in the bucket and they were surprised that there wasn't more atium to be found in Luthadel, not the bracers themselves. 

Just reread the part. It says:

"They had found some small bit-the atium that had made up the bracers that the Lord Ruler had used as Feruchemical battery to store up age. However, they had spent those on supplies for the city, and they had actually contained only a very small bit of atium. Nothing like the cache was said to have."

It sounds more like you are actually right, and there just wasn't much Atium in, because they probably were not that big.

• Chaos locked this topic