More control over duraluminium

Panwp

Question

As we have seen in Hero of ages, spook savantism in tin allowed him to gain more power from burning metal, but as Brandon said theoretical aluminium savant can clean his body from other impurities. So he would gain more control over his metal. And as burning duraluminium alows you to burn other metals in MUCH FASTER way than  normal. So maybe with more control over it you could just accelerate the proces of burning. Instead of just one burst of power, you could make your pewter three times as effective, by flaring it three times as faster, but constant.

12 answers to this question

This basically fits with how steel and iron work. The more skilled you are, the more you can regulate the strength of the push/pull in either direction. One of the reasons Vin was so awed by Zane's skill was that he was able to levitate just a few feet above his coins. This turned out to be due to his hemalurgy, but I imagine savantism could have a similar effect.

Theoretically, duralumin is a Push in the same way as steel is, so theoretically, the more skiiled/savantish you get, the more you can regulate the amount of power you get from it. This could be very useful. Good question!

Edited by Scriptorian

16 hours ago, Panwp said:

And as burning Duralumin allows you to burn other metals in MUCH FASTER way than normal. So maybe with more control over it you could just accelerate the process of burning. Instead of just one burst of power, you could make your pewter three times as effective, by flaring it three times as faster, but constant.

I.. am actually not sure what you are trying to say here. It sounds like you are saying you could further accelerate the Duralumin burn by being a Savant(which makes sense), but then you are saying you could use that extra speed to burn Pewter faster(which is what it would do), "but constant."

I'm lost at the "but constant" part, since a Duralumin Flare should pretty much burn it all at once. There wouldn't need to be a constant anything at that point.

Anyone else lost, or am I just being bad at English again?

10 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I.. am actually not sure what you are trying to say here. It sounds like you are saying you could further accelerate the Duralumin burn by being a Savant(which makes sense), but then you are saying you could use that extra speed to burn Pewter faster(which is what it would do), "but constant."

I'm lost at the "but constant" part, since a Duralumin Flare should pretty much burn it all at once. There wouldn't need to be a constant anything at that point.

He's saying that as a savant, with better control, you could slow the effect of duralumin, creating a super flare effect over a few seconds or more, rather than an all or nothing effect. 

16 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

His point was the possibility for a Durallumin Savant to ne able to regulate the durallumin's boost within a degree.

So (for example) be able to go with a lesser multiplier for a longer time.

As: usually a Durallumin's boost will release all the Power in a couple of seconds...a Savant could spread the power into 5-10 seconds 

Edit: ninjed by Calderis

Edited by Yata

@Yata @Calderis Ok, I was overthinking the wording. That makes a lot of sense.

As for the topic, I don't feel like it should, if only to prevent Duralumin from becoming even more OP for a Mistborn, but I can't deny the possibility.

Also, given that Nicrosil is essentially a mirror power on others, would it make sense for a Nicro Savant to be able to do this too, or some other effect?

Just now, The One Who Connects said:

@Yata @Calderis Ok, I was overthinking the wording. That makes a lot of sense.

As for the topic, I don't feel like it should, if only to prevent Duralumin from becoming even more OP for a Mistborn, but I can't deny the possibility.

Also, given that Nicrosil is essentially a mirror power on others, would it make sense for a Nicro Savant to be able to do this too, or some other effect?

If this is possible (but I am not too found in this), Nicrosil will be able of It too.

Sure become Durallumin or Nicrosil Savants is hard for the metals' burnrate and nature

4 minutes ago, Yata said:

If this is possible (but I am not too found in this), Nicrosil will be able of It too.

Sure become Durallumin or Nicrosil Savants is hard for the metals' burnrate and nature

Yeah, the ability to become a savant should be as hard as aluminum. Without some intent to do so and using a lot of metal for no purpose, it's not something that could feasibly happen. I doubt we'll ever see this answered. 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

Yeah, the ability to become a savant should be as hard as aluminum. Without some intent to do so and using a lot of metal for no purpose, it's not something that could feasibly happen. I doubt we'll ever see this answered. 

Do you actually have to use the metal to become a savant? Why can't you just constantly burn duraluminum or aluminum without burning another metal at the same time? The power is still flowing into the body, it just has nothing to act upon.

8 minutes ago, shadowwisp said:

Do you actually have to use the metal to become a savant? Why can't you just constantly burn duraluminum or aluminum without burning another metal at the same time? The power is still flowing into the body, it just has nothing to act upon.

You don't need to burn any additional metal, but you do need to burn Duraluminum. A lot of it. And it naturally burns so quickly that you'd need to continually ingest and burn it. 

Spooks Savantism developed after a year of nearly continuous flaring. You'd need a hell of a lot of duralumin to equal that. 

11 minutes ago, Calderis said:

You don't need to burn any additional metal, but you do need to burn Duraluminum. A lot of it. And it naturally burns so quickly that you'd need to continually ingest and burn it. 

Spooks Savantism developed after a year of nearly continuous flaring. You'd need a hell of a lot of duralumin to equal that. 

Ah okay, that makes sense. I didn't realize Dualumin burned quickly.