Thanatos

Jasnah

20 posts in this topic

So if Jasnah has a gun holster could she have a gun?

And if so could she soulcast bullets?

I really doubt She could cast something so complex as a bullet.

Anyway I don't think Jasnah has a gun hoster...much more a general Little big of sort

The word bandolier had become synonymous with the ammo loops in wild West fiction. The word itself refers to a belt like harness to hold things that is worn that way. 

It's far more likely that she has a bag/harness of this type, than the specifically gun oriented variety we're familiar with. 

It's possible this "bandolier" usage is as innocent as all that, but it's a word that very much implies an ammo belt. If Brandon used this word, it's because he knew what reaction it would cause in our minds.

Now he might have been trying to misdirect us, quite possible in fact, but it was deliberate, not as simple as using bandolier to mean something else by accident.  

Especially when Jasnah was just wandering mysteriously in the cognitive realm AND there's another world that has guns.

Stormlight is obviously a cosmere work, so there's going to be hints at the other worlds for aware readers. That said, it's meant to be a self contained story. I don't believe that guns are going to be introduced, simply because that tech would require an explanation that breaches the self contained story. 

Jasnah was in the Cognitive Realm yes. She was also specifically looking for information in and about Roshar, while traveling with a spren that is bound to Roshar by its nature. So we know that she didn't leave Roshar. 

While it's possible that she could have met a Scadrian world hopper and gained the specific firearm oriented bandolier we're familiar with, I find it far more likely that while in dire straights in Shadesmar, she tied some junk together to make an improvised harness because sometimes it helps to be able to use your hands, and building a sling looped around yourself is a hell of a lot easier than making a backpack. 

Keep in mind that we are seeing this scene from Hoid's point of view. What he may call a bandolier may not actually be used for carrying ammo, but it's the closest word he has to describe accurately what Jasnah is wearing. 

@Ciridae made the point I'd have. Brandon had aleady talked about the significance of the epilogues being from Hoid's PoV vis a vis the description of Taln's Honorblade as a Shardblade so something similar could easily apply here. He could call Jasnah's accessory a bandolier because that's what it looks like to him. At this point we know he's been to at least one world with firearms in the form of Taldain and it's possible he was also familiar with them from other worlds like pre-Final Empire Scadrial; we suspect he may have some connection to the Worldbringers for example. So him thinking of Jasnah's outfit as including a bandolier doesn't necessarily imply that it is one in the 'harness for carrying ammunition' sense.

6 hours ago, Thanatos said:

And if so could she soulcast bullets?

Assuming we're talking modern-style bullets, even if she were to learn what one of those is I doubt you could soulcast them. We haven't seen any transformations that complex yet, generally it's been 'Essence to Essence' or '<complex thing> to Essence' while a modern bullet requires multiple types of metal, the propellant and the primer all arranged Just So if you want a working bullet instead of a small paperweight. You could probably create the slug itself out of something cheap and easy to work like wood then Soulcast it to lead, but if you wanted a jacketed bullet you'd probably need to do that by hand. Maybe much more complex soulcasting is possible but if so we haven't seen it yet.

Of course this is Roshar where we're told that you could replicate any Surge with the right fabrial so eventually you could probably make the equivalent of a fabrial railgun via Gravitation manipulation, rendering gunpowder firearms unnecessary.

Edited by Weltall

Might I also point out that even if it is a bandolier for ammunition, it need not be for a gun. You could store any number of small projectiles in one. Arrows, stones for a sling, or bolts come to mind, though it could even have been for something like infused spheres(going off the idea above that it might also just be just a form of backpack). I may be remembering falsely ,as it's been a while since I read them, but I think in Mistborn once or twice someone has a bandolier for vials of metal.

Anyway, lots of different non-bullet options for ammunition alone. Something to think about.

7 hours ago, Yata said:

I really doubt She could cast something so complex as a bullet.

Anyway I don't think Jasnah has a gun hoster...much more a general Little big of sort

Bullets are really just bits of lead. They are easily made. Not complicated at all. It would amaze you just how low tech many bullets are.

So, regardless of whether she does or does not have a firearm, the complexity of soulcasting isn't much of an argument. 

1 hour ago, ZenBossanova said:

Bullets are really just bits of lead. They are easily made. Not complicated at all. It would amaze you just how low tech many bullets are.

The bullet itself, yes. The actual round of ammunition, however, is more akin to Weltall's response. The case, the powder, the primer..

As has been brought up before by Yata, gunpowder by itself is hilariously useless on Roshar due to the propensity towards very rainy Highstorms. You would need a weapon or ammo that can withstand being in the rain for extended durations for it to be of any use.

@Thanatos Jasnah with a gun does sound fun.

I can see her meeting up in Shadesmere with one of the Cosmere's old friends - Kriss, who comes from a world with guns. And Jasnah being the inquisitive type would attempt to find out what's going on with said gun to replicate it..

Hmmmmmm, Navani would be quite interested with this... @Weltall Yeah, if Jasnah and Navani got there hands on a gun, with their growing knowledge of Surges / Fabrials I could imagine they could make a gun-fabrial.

Could her Spren become a Shard Gun?

Though I doubt she could soul cast bullets directly into the gun I'd imagine she could Soulcast bullets, at the very least the ole school ball bearings. Maybe she could use Spheres!!

Or, although it's not one of the essences could we somehow solidify Stormlight? Maybe with a fabrial of some sort.?

In regards to the powder / chemicals used to the trigger do you think Stormlight could replace this in some form?

(Not sure how, but you guys have a better mind for Investiture than me..)

Though that "little knife" Jasnah has on the cover of Book 3 doesn't look like a gun :( unless its one of those Final Fantasy guns-swords!

!~ HIF ~!

Actually, my thought is that it would be completely possible, and perhaps even easy for her to soulcast bullets. She attempted to soulcast jam after all. Even though she failed terribly, she implies that if it was a less complex, non-organic substance that she knows well, she could have done it. She also had never tasted strawberries, let alone jam made with them, so she had no frame of reference, but if she saw exactly what went into gunpowder, primer, etc. I think she could figure it out. You might have trouble getting a fabrial to do it, but a Radiant shouldn't have much trouble once they are experienced.

On the other hand, I highly doubt Roshar would even invent gunpowder weapons on their own. Ever. As Khriss mentions, it is a high oxygen environment, so that doesn't sound particularly safe when dealing with explosives. I don't know a lot about the chemistry of explosives, though, so I could be completely wrong about that. I think they will import the idea, but they wouldn't come up with it on their own.

8 minutes ago, Hoids Imaginary Friend said:

Could her Spren become a Shard Gun?

Very unlikely. Brandon has said that it's theoretically possible for a living spren to become two smaller weapons or a weapon with multiple components but that it would require splitting the spren's soul and 'they wouldn't like that'. It's mentioned that at least some Radiants of old made their spren into (true) Shardbows, but they required separate arrows and bowstrings so the spren only formed the main body of the weapon. Even the simplest gun is more complicated than that in terms of the number of parts that would be required.

So if we're ever going to see a Rosharan gun equivalent, I'm holding out for fabrials. Actually, depending on what Division does there are probably multiple ways you could get a gun equivalent out of a fabrial. Though Lightweaving-based lasers have been discussed and deemed by Brandon to be 'possible but ridiculously impractical, so it's not happening' so we'll leave that one out. Now, using technology to turn a 'sprenblade' into a long-range weapon might be possible (imagine a ballista with a spren shaped into a bolt), but there's some debate over how far the spren can get from the Radiant they're bonded to while maintaining their shape and whether such a design would provide enough benefits to be worth the effort. But it's fun to speculate about.

Though that "little knife" Jasnah has on the cover of Book 3 doesn't look like a gun :( unless its one of those Final Fantasy guns-swords!

Now you've gone and done it, you've made me try to think of the craziest possible hybrid weapon you could make in the cosmere as we understand it right now. Okay, assuming my 'fabrial railgun' idea is plausible (and if Szeth can make a huge stone block into a projectile and you can replicate Gravitation with a fabrial, I'm going to assume it is) then how's this for ridiculous: A fabrial rifle making use of Gravitation, produced by Ranette and Navani in collaboration. With Harmonium (thus explosive) bullets. And there's a bayonette that's been Awakened for the 'gunblade' angle. And the stock is an unsealed F-Chromium medallion so the user can pull off insane shots (or if Fortune doesn't work that way, F-Zinc and F-Tin together should do as a substitute). And then you give it to Wax...

Can anyone out-Munchkin that without invoking the Bands of Mourning? :P

9 minutes ago, Weltall said:

how's this for ridiculous: A fabrial rifle making use of Gravitation, produced by Ranette and Navani in collaboration. With Harmonium (thus explosive) bullets. And there's a bayonette that's been Awakened for the 'gunblade' angle. And the stock is an unsealed F-Chromium medallion so the user can pull off insane shots (or if Fortune doesn't work that way, F-Zinc and F-Tin together should do as a substitute). And then you give it to Wax...

The fact that this is your 666th post seems almost fitting, what with the devilry you just suggested :)

To answer your question, I can't outdo that without a lot of creative thinking. I'll get back to you on that in a week.

6 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

The fact that this is your 666th post seems almost fitting, what with the devilry you just suggested :)

...Storm it! I made another post before I realized that. I should have screenshotted it because you're right, that is fitting.

@Weltall

Hmmmmmmmm..

** eyes glaze over **

Hmmmmmmmm...!

Can I use Nightblood please?

And.. hyperthetically, can I bond a spren to Nightblood.?

... Please.!

!~ HIF ~!

Ohh its a bullet holster, sorry not a gun guy. Thought it was a gun holster.

I like the spren gun with ball bearings, add gravitation manipulation and thats pretty much a working gun.

Said spren gun doesnt need to be of many parts just a basic rendition to fit the dense bb's. Hell it doesn't need to be a spren gun if your using gravity manipulation, just a gun. 

And she can soulcast the dense ball bearings on the run. 

Wait... can Jasnah manipulate gravity? Maybe this would be better for Kaladin 

3 hours ago, Weltall said:

Can anyone out-Munchkin that without invoking the Bands of Mourning?

AonDor. *drops the mic*

To elaborate, an Elantrian on their home turf is basically unstoppable. If they have a chance to prepare, that is. Engraved Aons that activate on touch are easily the most overpowered thing in the Cosmere. Period. Aon Daa machine guns, basically. Or fire traps that trigger when someone walks past them (that should be doable). Get a big enough Aon, use it several times, and even Shardplate won't stand up to it. Then realize that there are a lot of Elantrians that could fire those off indiscriminately all day just by wanting to and touching the Aon.

Basically, Elantris is the Death Star of the Cosmere.

Edited by Djarskublar

1 minute ago, Djarskublar said:

Basically, Elantris is the Death Star of the Cosmere.

Until such point as one of the spacefaring worlds builds an Investiture powered Death Star. Ruin(and/or Odium) would be all too happy to hijack.. I mean help power it.. :)

Honestly though, so much of modern society here on Earth could be replicated with Advanced Aonics its ridiculous.

1 minute ago, The One Who Connects said:

Until such point as one of the spacefaring worlds builds an Investiture powered Death Star.

Plot for the back five confirmed.