Kaladin versus Eragon?

Jordan

Question

I have a question. (Obviously) but me and my brother have been having a debate about who would win in a fight; Kaladin Stormblessed, or Eragon Shadeslayer. Obviously Eragon is stronger in magic, but Kadin is a Windrunner... sort of. So anyway, who do you think would win?

20 answers to this question

Even though Stormlight is orders of magnitude better than Eragon, Kaladin doesn't really have much of a chance here. Neither of them will be able to affect the other directly with magic, since Eragon has wards that will prevent it and Kaladin's Stormlight passively blocks magic. Eragon's TP is also nullified by Syl, who can defend Kaladin in the Cognitive Realm. Unfortunately, Eragon is a bit faster and far stronger than Kaladin, and his sword will be able to block a shardblade because of its heavily invested nature. Kaladin might be more experienced, but not by very much, and Eragon is unrealistically good with his sword. 

The problem here is the discrepancy in magical function. As surgebinding is a hard magic, and Eragon's magic is not, these must be judged in two different ways. If they met in a single place, the universe would have to account for what Eragon could do, making a set of rules for it so that space-time does not fold in on itself and destroy everything. 

That being said, given the experience of Eragon in magic and the point where Kaladin is right now, Eragon would win on a true magic standpoint. In swordplay, or spear play, Kaladin would beat Eragon.

The problem is, the Death Words operate by causing minute physical damage, which Stormlight would likely heal pretty easily. I'd say that Kaladin has the advantage, simply because he is better a combat and is far more maneuverable in the air. Plus, he has Sylblade, which would slice through Saphira very quickly. Eragon can't hurt Syl, but Kaladin can hurt- even kill- Saphira.

Oh yeah in oathbringer [OB] Shallan takes a crossbow shot in the head, and walks it off. The death words probably couldn't kill Kaladin fast enough. Do u think that Kaladin's Blade could cut through Eragon's wards?

Edited by Housedunn

On 12/3/2017 at 1:02 AM, TheDarkLordOokla said:

It really does depend on whether or not Eragon gets the death words. If he does: Eragon cubrstomps. If he doesn't: Kaladin curbstomps, so let's sing the Curbstomp Song!

Reveal hidden contents
Up in space their ships go 'boom!' 
In a pyrotechnic doom 
On the ground no hope is found 
As they die in burning mounds 

Lacking tech like fire and wheel 
Going up against cold steel 
Strategy? Well they just rush! 
There's no fools that they can crush! 

Their invasion's a meltdown 
Ground to dust by unarmed clowns 
All that's left, to wait and see 
Whether they will fight or flee 

There's no need for Kryptonite, 
Silver cross, or stake, or light. 
There's some fights that just ain't fair 
But it's FUN to gawk and stare! 

[Chorus: 2X] 
When a fight is just plain wrong 
We all sing the curbstomp song 
People dying left and right 
It's a slaughter, not a fight 

Start a brawl that can't be won 
See the boots eclipse the sun 
Either swallow bitter truth 
Or eat curb and lose a tooth 

Ill equipped with laser guns 
That explode when set 'stun' 
Using armor made of rags 
Nothing's left for body bags 

With a weakness so painful 
Quite annoying, and shameful 
Kids with H2O Balloons 
Oh so gaily MELT these goons 

Their assault's a failure 
Putting guns on super-tankers 
Now just watch, and you will see 
Battles that should NEVER be 

Here they come, they're charging us 
Why should we put up a fuss? 
It's a war that won't last long 
And why I sing- 

THE CURBSTOMP SONG! 

[Chorus 2 X] 

[Stompy Banter] 

"Oh oh! I know! A hundred berserkers in full plate mail against a roman phalanx!" 

"No man, that's not a curbstomp." 

"What about the Russian army armed with pistols against guys with sub-machine guns?" 

"You're not thinking big enough, man. Try more extreme." 

"Uh... A team of ninja versus a tentacle monster with a rocket launcher-" 

"What the heck?! Go sit down before you hurt yourself." 

"What about sending special forces in to take out an Orc(k) camp?" =p 

"You're getting it now, keep it up." 

"A vampire with a bad attitude and a particle cannon against Red Coats." 

"That's a stomp if I ever heard it..." 

"Oh! I know! A fleet of star cruisers with giant energy cannons taking on an infestation of zombies in a city!" 

"Ground zero, man. I can taste the concrete." 

"A vampire, a wizard, a battleship, a dragon-" 

"-Against a monk, a settler, and a coal miner in a cattle wagon." 

"OUCH!" 

"Stompingly good. HIT IT!" 

[CHORUS 2X] 

So when a fight's a slaughter 
Not any quarter given 
Just sing along to the Curbstomp Song and ask yourself: 

"Why can't we all just get along?" 

[Finish out with CHORUS 4X]

Thanks for the song, enjoyed it.

For the death words, I'm not so sure. From what I remember, they work by doing something really low energy that still does fatal damage, like severing nerves, or opening arteries. I'm not sure if that would also kill a surgebinder with stormlight however, as IIRC the only reliable way to kill them is to bash their brain in. Jasnah was able to survive a knife through the heart. I have a feeling that simply severing nerves and arteries would just be healed back immediately. Because of the small amount of damage done it might even cost a lot less stormlight to heal than sticking a sword in somebody or throwing fireballs at them.

I would have to go with Eragon, simply because he knows several magic words that cause near instant death. Kaladin could win, assuming he could get close, since a shardblade would beat Eragon's sword but since the ancient language has a such a long range I can't imagine him being able to close the distance quickly enough.

You guys are all forgetting the key piece of information. 

Kaladin is only strong because of Syl. Eragon is only what he is because of Saphria. 

I'm taking Syl. This is no bias, obviously. Syl is both intelligent and articulate.  

Eragon has possibly one of the most vague magic systems I know of. However, if Kaladin had limitless Stormlight and Eragon couldn't just blink him out of existence, Kaladin would win due to that o-so special healing factor.

In a one on one confrontation, Eragon has the obvious advantage of the Seven Death words. Barring that, things get a lot more interesting.

So we set up a challenge where Eragon and Saphira are on one side (Limitations, no death words, no Eldunari) And Syl and Kaladin on the other (Limitations, none)

I'm guessing that Eragon would attempt to break the mind of Kaladin, but would, in this scenario, be blocked by Sylphrena. Unless Eragon figured out a VERY clever way to use magic, I'm guessing that the only thing he could do is stop Kaladin from flying by controlling the winds. Now, I'm going to compare a living shard blade to about the equivalent to the Dautherdaut. That means that it can injure dragons. Saphira would attempt to protect Eragon, but be foiled since she can not fly as she normally could. Kaladin, taking advantage of this deficit, make quick work of Saphira. (Sadly) He then dispatches a largely defenseless Eragon, who is still reeling from the death of his Dragon.

18 minutes ago, Dragon314 said:

I'm guessing that the only thing he could do is stop Kaladin from flying by controlling the winds.

Counter-intuitively, that would end up inhibiting Saphira more than it would hinder Kaladin. Windrunning is actually manipulation of gravity, so Eragon controlling the winds would be little different to Kal's fight with Szeth in the Highstorm. The only thing wind can use to delay(not beat) gravity is aerodynamics, and the human form is astoundingly lacking in that department.

If Eragon conjures winds strong enough to counter the force of gravity, I don't think Saphira's wings or Kaladin's body will be in good shape afterwards.

IIRC 'death words' worked by inflicting injury to the opponent (efficient injury like cutting the nerves or things like that). Stormlight can heal those things on the fly.

Now that anything directly offensive is rendered useless by Stormlight regeneration, the question is whether Kaladin can get close enough for the kill (as in melee combat it's one Shardblade hit and it's over). The question boils down to who's magic is gonna run out first, really. Eragon can try to hold Kaladin down, but he can try to overpower the spell by sheer Stormlight-assisted force (trying to move or just using Basic Lashing).

Given how stupidly massive are magic resources of Paolini mages (seriously, they are supposed to cast spells using up the energy their bodies can generate and that's not really much)... Eragon's gonna win. Unless we're talking Shardplate which could probably interfere with other magic...

Edited by Oversleep

We can also take into consideration that investiture cancels out investiture. It is harder to Push on metalminds than it is to push on other metallic object and a Shardblade can not cut through Shardplates. I feel like it would be a safe arguement to say that Kaladin's stormlight could either decrease the effects of Eragon's magic or nullify them all together. On the same arguement, not like it would change the outcome of the battle, brisingr is able to cut through magic so I feel like I would be able to block KALadin Blade. Either way, I feel like it is a win for Kal. He is way more maneuverable tha Saphira, Syl gives him 360 vision, and he can match Eragon's physique, and surpasses him with skill

It really does depend on whether or not Eragon gets the death words. If he does: Eragon cubrstomps. If he doesn't: Kaladin curbstomps, so let's sing the Curbstomp Song!

Spoiler
Up in space their ships go 'boom!' 
In a pyrotechnic doom 
On the ground no hope is found 
As they die in burning mounds 

Lacking tech like fire and wheel 
Going up against cold steel 
Strategy? Well they just rush! 
There's no fools that they can crush! 

Their invasion's a meltdown 
Ground to dust by unarmed clowns 
All that's left, to wait and see 
Whether they will fight or flee 

There's no need for Kryptonite, 
Silver cross, or stake, or light. 
There's some fights that just ain't fair 
But it's FUN to gawk and stare! 

[Chorus: 2X] 
When a fight is just plain wrong 
We all sing the curbstomp song 
People dying left and right 
It's a slaughter, not a fight 

Start a brawl that can't be won 
See the boots eclipse the sun 
Either swallow bitter truth 
Or eat curb and lose a tooth 

Ill equipped with laser guns 
That explode when set 'stun' 
Using armor made of rags 
Nothing's left for body bags 

With a weakness so painful 
Quite annoying, and shameful 
Kids with H2O Balloons 
Oh so gaily MELT these goons 

Their assault's a failure 
Putting guns on super-tankers 
Now just watch, and you will see 
Battles that should NEVER be 

Here they come, they're charging us 
Why should we put up a fuss? 
It's a war that won't last long 
And why I sing- 

THE CURBSTOMP SONG! 

[Chorus 2 X] 

[Stompy Banter] 

"Oh oh! I know! A hundred berserkers in full plate mail against a roman phalanx!" 

"No man, that's not a curbstomp." 

"What about the Russian army armed with pistols against guys with sub-machine guns?" 

"You're not thinking big enough, man. Try more extreme." 

"Uh... A team of ninja versus a tentacle monster with a rocket launcher-" 

"What the heck?! Go sit down before you hurt yourself." 

"What about sending special forces in to take out an Orc(k) camp?" =p 

"You're getting it now, keep it up." 

"A vampire with a bad attitude and a particle cannon against Red Coats." 

"That's a stomp if I ever heard it..." 

"Oh! I know! A fleet of star cruisers with giant energy cannons taking on an infestation of zombies in a city!" 

"Ground zero, man. I can taste the concrete." 

"A vampire, a wizard, a battleship, a dragon-" 

"-Against a monk, a settler, and a coal miner in a cattle wagon." 

"OUCH!" 

"Stompingly good. HIT IT!" 

[CHORUS 2X] 

So when a fight's a slaughter 
Not any quarter given 
Just sing along to the Curbstomp Song and ask yourself: 

"Why can't we all just get along?" 

[Finish out with CHORUS 4X]

You're all forgetting that first, Eragon is just a scene for scene rip off of starwars through book 3; then a ripoff of sword of shanara.

Yes Eragon would win. At the end of the series he could mind control people or turn off their magic by uttering a word. The series was fun, but Eragon basically became God at the end, even without his dinosaur. They taught him about magically induced nuclear explosions and radiation shielding for crying out loud; if he was feeling merciful he'd send Kaladin home with leukemia...

Cosmere is better, but Eragon was completely unstoppable; which to clarify, I consider lower quality storytelling, even if I did still enjoy it.

11 minutes ago, King Cole said:

Wait, what about Saphira???

Dies to Shardblade like any chasmfiend.  Fire breath can be mitigated by Stormlight, flight removed via Lashings (of either variety, although the one-two punch of Partial Lashing to disorientate, then Full Lashing to stick Saphira to the ground would be highly effective in this regard).  The eldunari might be an issue, as it is basically a gemheart with Saphira's innate Investiture inside, but that's one point of difficulty inside a giant shell of scaly meat.  

On 2017-05-27 at 0:47 PM, Jedal said:

Eragon has possibly one of the most vague magic systems I know of. However, if Kaladin had limitless Stormlight and Eragon couldn't just blink him out of existence, Kaladin would win due to that o-so special healing factor.

I realize that this is over a year after this was posted, but seeing as Eragon remains one of my favourite series, I feel the need to correct you here. The magic system in Eragon is NOT vague, not at all. If anything it’s even less vague than at least a couple of the Cosmere’s, namely AonDor and Awakening. The magic in Eragon is simply the manipulation of one’s energy using either pure thought or the Ancient Language. It’s very much a type of rule-based magic, much like that of the Cosmere; I could even quite easily imagine a Shardworld having a magic system quite similar to it.

Now if by ‘vague’ you simply mean that it has very few limitations in terms of what it could in principle do given enough energy, well sure. But no more so than AonDor.

Edited by Fanghur Rahl

One of the death words literally translates to “Die”, so yeah, absolutely no contest. Eragon is also roughly as fast as Sazed using his speedminds, so even if the Shardblade could go clean through his wards, Kaladin would never be able to hit him with it. At least not unless he got obscenely lucky.