They arrived at Keep Conrad, an impressive building. Its tall towers rose above neighboring structures. Marv followed the man through the gates, past the two men who stood there with pole arms. They gave him inquisitive glances, but nothing more. Marv hurried along. The man led him to a building on the Keep grounds, off in the corner of the property. It looked like a barracks of a sort, and several men stood out front in various positions. The man turned to Marv.

"This here is the Keep guardhouse. Where you'll be stayin' if you keep the job. We've got a lot of fresh blood here, so you won't be the only rookie in the ranks. You gonna take the job?" The man held out his hand. Marv stared at it, glancing between it and the guardhouse. He rubbed his stone, then shook the man's hand. He smiled, showing yellowed teeth. "Good to have ya," the man said. "I'm Gern, by the way. Chief Guard. I run this place, and you answer to me. Go meet your comrades." Marv nodded and ran over to the guardhouse. The stone bounced in his pocket.

Is it okay that the Chief Guard is named Gern? I just came up with the name, and if it works, we now have an NPC to interact with.

Edited by Hemalurgic_Headshot

34 minutes ago, The Flash said:

Barry took another look at the older guard and walked up to him. 

"You from around here? Does anything exciting ever happen here?"

"No, I'm not from around here.  Just got here a few hours ago myself.  As for excitement...first rule of being a guard is that excitement is a bad thing."

26 minutes ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Is it okay that the Chief Guard is named Gern? I just came up with the name, and if it works, we now have an NPC to interact with.

Attention all personnel:  the guard chief on duty this week is Gern! Please approach him with all of your security related needs. 

Seeing another guard coming in, he wondered aloud.

"What IS going on here? Why is such a small house pulling in all the guards it could need?"

Fear ran through Barry as he realized that perhaps he would get that excitement he was looking for. While he didn't know exactly what was going on, it couldn't be good. 

Thankfully, he didn't have to dwell on this for too long. It was lunch break. 

5 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

Worst feeling in the world :(

Edit: Well, forum. #SEPeopleProblems

Well, it is morning now, and my patience is at least somewhat replenished.

Lets try that again. This time I'm making an RPdump.txt file.

Dromea whistled tunelessly at the night, gazing at the mists. The alley she occupied was, of coarse, perfectly empty. This was a skaa quarter, and most of the fools would sooner die before venturing into the mists. Venturing into the mists... An ironic word, given the circumstance.

Lord Conrad would be appearing any moment now. Senn had many flaws, but tardiness was not one of them. Not that she particularly cared. So long as her clients payed Dromea for her time, they could be as late as they damnation well pleased. And Conrad was easily Dromea's most important client.

She just hoped he didn't get himself killed, or worse, destitute. Then who would pay for her services?

She burned tin, and a wave of new sensations assailed her. There was the chill of the night air, suddenly magnified threefold, only offset slightly by the familiar warmth of burning metal spreading through her chest. There was the fiber of her clothing, suddenly much rougher and pressing into her skin. There was the drone of a sleeping city, suddenly resolving into recognizable sounds: the distant creaking of a rusty something, the pair of whispered voices conversing not quite loud enough for her to distinguish words just two doors down, and the gentle breeze flowing through twisted streets.

Most importantly, she could see. The mists receded and became transparent before her eyes, and the night immediately looked less dark. She saw the newly swept paving of the alley, clear of ash for the time being, crowded in on either side by decrepit skaa residences and sweat shops. She saw all the way down the alleyway, where it branched off at haphazard angles with two larger streets.

There! She spotted a noble, just turning onto her alleyway, walking purposefully. Dromea waited patiently for Conrad to reach the meeting place, leaning against a wall and continuing to whistle both loudly and horribly out of tune.

"Informant," Conrad said, nodding in acknowledgement. She looked up with a small start, pretending to have only just noticed Conrad's approach. In her line of work, it helped if nobody knew she was a tineye. Much easier to eavesdrop that way.

"Lord Conrad! What a pleasant surprise. What brings you here tonight?" Dromea leaned in towards him and cupped her ear, as if slightly hard of hearing. Another affectation that made her job easier.
"You know why I'm here. You have news for me."
"Yes... Remind me, what news was this? I fear my memory is failing me. Please forgive an old woman."
Conrad sighed, then gave her an indulgent nod and a small pouch of boxings. "Venture." He said with a totality that seemed appropriate.
"Venture." She nodded in agreement, uttering the name as if it were a curse. "Thank you for reminding me, Lord Conrad Sir," she continued, trying and failing to paste a smile on her face.
"And another pouch after, if you have anything worth telling."
"Yes, yes... So, Lord Venture has been spreading rumors in certain circles that House Conrad is soon to meet an untimely demise."
"I know that already. Straff was absolutely livid when I paid off my debts. He was going to retaliate."
"Hmm... And did you know that there are traitors among your guards?"
Conrad paused, then rolled his eyes. "...this is Luthadel. Everyone who's anyone has a few traitors mixed in."
Dromea shook her head. "No, no, it isn't like that. This isn't the run-of-the-mill scattering of spies in menial positions, like what you usually get. This is an organized group of assassins. Planted to kill."
"How can you be so sure of that?" Conrad asked skeptically.
"Venture's Terrisman. He took a trip all around Luthadel the very day before you did your recruiting. Tried to do it all quiet like, but I know he visited all the places your people did. This is a serious infiltration."
Conrad uttered a curse. "I see... Thank you. I will investigate this. Is there anything else?"
"Yes, one other thing... There are rumors about Straff and certain... Indiscretions. The story goes that he's fathered a few bastards... With the skaa. No idea if its true of coarse, but... Spread the rumors and you might get some dirt on Venture's name, no?"
Conrad nodded in consideration. "Good enough." A second pouch of boxings changed hands. "From now on, I want you to keep an eye on my guards. You can work as their informant or whatever, just report anything suspicious you find to me."
She nodded. "It will be done."

Edited by Drake Marshall

5 minutes ago, The Flash said:

So is this role madness? Or are some of going to need to get our hands on spikes in order to use allomancy? 

It is certainly role madness, but not all roles are allomantic. See: Courier, Hazekiller, Captain.

Hazekiller is actually the equivalent of the default, "vanilla" role. No clues on how I'm going to distribute them, though.

Just now, Seonid said:

It is certainly role madness, but not all roles are allomantic. See: Courier, Hazekiller, Captain.

Hazekiller is actually the equivalent of the default, "vanilla" role. No clues on how I'm going to distribute them, though.

Ok I was curious whether anyone would end up truly powerless besides the lynch. Fantastic

2 hours ago, The Flash said:

Ok I was curious whether anyone would end up truly powerless besides the lynch. Fantastic

I assume you mean besides the lynch and ordering metals that they can then give to allies.

Edited by Yitzi2

28 minutes ago, Cluny the Scourge said:

Signing up as Cluny, a man rat man whatever, cracked in the mind (he thinks he's a rat) who may or may not have a tail. With a spear on the end.

I hope LG: 33 Finishes before this...

Wait. Man rat? Like the scholar from septimus heap? 

Just now, Cluny the Scourge said:

I have not read septimus heap. I have read enough Redwall to damage my sanity.

I have not read Redwall. I might look into that. Still, Man Rat. I have watched enough flash to damage my sanity. Speaking of which I need to go do that

17 minutes ago, Cluny the Scourge said:

16 minutes ago, The Flash said:

I have not read Redwall. I might look into that. Still, Man Rat. I have watched enough flash to damage my sanity. Speaking of which I need to go do that

I have not watched the flash. I might look into that. I have read enough Brandon Sanderson to damage augment my sanity. Speaking of which I need to go do that.

:P

EDIT: It's okay though Cluny, I appreciate all your redwall references I've read all the books ;)

Edited by Drake Marshall

42 minutes ago, Cluny the Scourge said:

Which reminds me, it could be fun to do an SE game based on the Redwall books. Something set among the Long Patrol/Salamandastron? Or perhaps even at the abbey itself, but I prefer some of the more exotic locales.

Also, Allomantic Martin the Warrior just appeals to my aesthetic senses somehow...

Oooo... Ever read Pearls of Lutra? It would be perfect for an SE game. Those loyal to watzeezface mad-eyes or the rasconda guy, your Pirates and your Trident-Rats. After a few months of playing SE I might be able to set something like that up... maybe a MR game...

Redwall themed... Hrmm... There is a lot of possible setups in that. What is something with traitors...

You could make it based on Martin the Warrior (the book, not the character) where there are prisoners with traitors in their midst... Kind of a stretch but it actually could be fun.

I keep arguing myself in and out for this game so before I'm back to the decision NOT to join I'm gonna hurry and sign up cuz then I won't back out lol 

I'm currently reading the second Mistborn so that I won't see spoilers lol

@Seonid bahahaha I was literally typing this when you posted:lol: ...we are the Lopen clan! Fear us! :P (although i highly doubt steph will be signing up since she hasn't read any Mistborn yet :()

I will be signing up as Mila a girl from the country.

Just now, BrightnessRadiant said:

I keep arguing myself in and out for this game so before I'm back to the decision NOT to join I'm gonna hurry and sign up cuz then I won't back out lol 

I'm currently reading the second Mistborn so that I won't see spoilers lol

@Seonid bahahaha I was literally typing this when you posted:lol: ...we are the Lopen clan! Fear us! :P (although i highly doubt steph will be signing up since she hasn't read any Mistborn yet :()

I will be signing up as Mila a girl from the country.

I ran out of likes...again. I just got them back. I tried to like this post, though...

Anyways - glad to have you! If steph wants to join up, then no prior knowledge of Mistborn is required (and I'm almost certain that there won't be spoilers for Book 1, unless a player spoils something. And there are only minor spoilers about the rest of them). But if not, that's fine too. No pressure...