Quiver

Hereditary Laws; or, God-Queens?

8 posts in this topic

So... quick question. We know Susebron was the God-King, and that there were previous rulers before him. We know that some of the God-Kings were the offspring of the previous one (though not all).

... do we know if they were all KINGS? I don't recall God-Queens ever being mentioned as a possibility, so I'm curious if there might be something going on there, either realmantically (only males can be born to a God-King?) or socially (Hallandren prefers having male rulers) which Brandon has talked about

Edited by Quiver
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quiver said:

So... quick question. We know Susebron was the God-King, and that there were previous rulers before him. We know that some of the God-Kings were the offspring of the previous one (though not all).

... do we know if they were all KINGS? I don't recall God-Queens ever being mentioned as a possibility, so I'm curious if there might be something going on there, either realmantically (only males can be born to a God-King?) or socially (Hallandren prefers having male rulers) which Brandon has talked about

It is mentioned that one of the previous God-kings had a daughter first and then a son later and the son inherited. I think the Hallandren must prefer Kings to Queens. I do not remember if it mentions whether the daughter was a Returned infant or not.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quiver said:

So... quick question. We know Susebron was the God-King, and that there were previous rulers before him. We know that some of the God-Kings were the offspring of the previous one (though not all).

... do we know if they were all KINGS? I don't recall God-Queens ever being mentioned as a possibility, so I'm curious if there might be something going on there, either realmatically (only males can be born to a God-King?) or socially (Hallandren prefers having male rulers) which Brandon has talked about

Well, if we make the assumption the the line of God Kings began after the Manywar with the gift of Peacegiver's treasure, there is a 300 year period from then to Susebron.

Given that people of 5th Heightening and above can live forever, and the fact that with exception of a natural offspring heir, the priests have to wait until there is a stillborn Returned, I think it is entirely possible that there hasn't been enough time for a God Queen to have been born, even if they would accept one

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Given that people of 5th Heightening and above can live forever, and the fact that with exception of a natural offspring heir, the priests have to wait until there is a stillborn Returned, I think it is entirely possible that there hasn't been enough time for a God Queen to have been born, even if they would accept one

It's stated that they ignored the first child of a God King who was a girl in favor for the second child which was a boy. Seems like they want male heirs specifically.
My theory is that either it's cultural patriarchy, or the priests don't know how to make female Returned have offspring (Another reason why they have don't have the wife be another Returned).
Edit: I'll note though that we don't actually know that the actual children of previous God Kings who became the next God King weren't children of female Returned, as far as I know. 

Edited by Spoolofwhool
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2017 at 8:52 PM, Quiver said:

... do we know if they were all KINGS? I don't recall God-Queens ever being mentioned as a possibility, so I'm curious if there might be something going on there, either realmantically (only males can be born to a God-King?) or socially (Hallandren prefers having male rulers) which Brandon has talked about

If the priests ever had to fake descent due to a fatality, with a king they could invent a posthumous child. WIth a queen they'd be out of luck. Also the process of getting an heir, if they need to get one right now can be quick. WIth a queen, it will take months.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Query: Do we know that the term God-King is specifically a masculine term, or a neuter term that has been translated to English as a masculine term? Meaning, that some of the God-Kings were actually women, but called the same thing?

Although I agree that the priests probably preferred having a King over a Queen, because it is easier to fake a child that way (it would show on a Queen). However, that does not necessarily indicate a cultural patriarchy.

Perhaps the government of Idris can provide further evidence?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, Spoolofwhool said:

It's stated that they ignored the first child of a God King who was a girl in favor for the second child which was a boy. Seems like they want male heirs specifically.
My theory is that either it's cultural patriarchy, or the priests don't know how to make female Returned have offspring (Another reason why they have don't have the wife be another Returned).
Edit: I'll note though that we don't actually know that the actual children of previous God Kings who became the next God King weren't children of female Returned, as far as I know. 

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:09 PM, CaptainRyan said:

It is mentioned that one of the previous God-kings had a daughter first and then a son later and the son inherited. I think the Hallandren must prefer Kings to Queens. I do not remember if it mentions whether the daughter was a Returned infant or not.

It specifically mentions that she wasn't. So presumably whatever the priests do to allow Returned to have children can produce both living and dead children.

On the issue of Idris's government, Dedelin's thoughts when he is deciding not to send Vivenna off to Hallendren imply that he expects her to become a ruling Queen. And when Vivenna is thinking about her life, she expects to inherit the throne instead of Ridger. So Idris presumably practices absolute primogeniture. 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole issue using the "the daughter didn't inherited" as argument for the chance of a God-Queen.

Is that the Daughter wasn't probably a Returned so she can't inherited the throne regardless if they would accept a queen instead of a king.

Also like others already pointed. The god-kings lineage is truly too short to make any kind of extrapolation from that.

There were like... 5 Godkings in the whole history and at least half of them aren't related by blood to the previous one

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.