Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

21 hours ago, Moonsilver said:

Kate Reading and Michael Kramer right? B)

Someone else suggested to me "David Tennant or bust." Man, the book we could have produced with budgets like that. ;)

Although I've gotta say, I think we produced a pretty darn cool book anyway.

Edited by Silk

• 2 weeks later...

So I've not been keeping up with the whole writing-as-a-hobby thing 'cause my doctorate's been draining me dry.

Hope to get back to it eventually!

Just wanted to comment on the character of Tommy Shelby which Karliene sings about in the youtube link below. It made me realise how many of my favourite characters are broken people who get up to act anyway. I found it a surprisingly helpful way to think of my own created characters too. (Also Kaladin, of course).

/random comment :D

Edited by TheDwarfyOne

On 7/31/2021 at 3:12 PM, TheDwarfyOne said:

So I've not been keeping up with the whole writing-as-a-hobby thing 'cause my doctorate's been draining me dry.

Ooof. That'll do it, yeah. Good luck and good to hear from you!

In other news...

DISTANT GARDENS IS OUT TODAY AHHHHHHH

Ahem.

So uh... have a good morning/afternoon/evening everyone?

Distant Gardens 600x900.jpg

Heh, so here's a bit of a squee moment. If you want to read me taking about my experiences with Reading Excuses, flowing into the Distant Gardens anthology (thanks to @Mandamon for setting this up, and endorsing the topic), there is a link on Writing Excuses to Mary Robinette's site and My Favourite Bit...(squee).

https://maryrobinettekowal.com/journal/my-favorite-bit-robin-c-m-duncan-talks-about-distant-gardens/

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 22.33.09.png

Edited by Robinski

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Sarah B said:

That is awesome, well done!

Thank you :)

One of the most satisfying things about the project is how much of a collaborative team effort it was. Immensely satisfying.

Edited by Robinski

16 hours ago, Sarah B said:

That is awesome, well done!

Thank you!

6 hours ago, Robinski said:

Thank you :)

One of the most satisfying things about the project is how much of a collaborative team effort it was. Immensely satisfying.

100% this.

• 3 months later...

Hi!! 

I'm back (I think), after a rather  long hiatus. After months of revising on deadlines for various things that kept me away from here at times, and some major anxiety issues, I got very burnt out and had to take a break from all things writing.  But I think I'm getting back on my feet now in terms of writing and mental health. 

I published a book last month--Earth Reclaimed! Some of you read my opening chapters a while back when I was working on developmental edits. If you want to read the whole book, here is a link to places you can buy it: https://books2read.com/earthreclaimed

I drafted a brand new novel for NaNoWriMo (it isa terrible draft, but it exists). 

And now I'm working on some short fiction while I decide what to revise next. 

How have you all been?

-Sara

Earth Reclaimed Paper Back.jpeg

On 12/19/2021 at 5:16 PM, shatteredsmooth said:

And now I'm working on some short fiction while I decide what to revise next. 

How have you all been?

-Sara

Earth Reclaimed Paper Back.jpeg

Wow, that cover looks gorgeous

Great to have you back! Its been pretty quiet. I think several regulars have been on a break from the forum. 

I also wrote 50,000 words of something for NaNoWriMo. I hesitate to even call it a draft zero, but it's better than a blank page right? :-)

Looking foreward to your next sub!

On 12/24/2021 at 7:55 AM, Sarah B said:

Wow, that cover looks gorgeous

Great to have you back! Its been pretty quiet. I think several regulars have been on a break from the forum. 

I also wrote 50,000 words of something for NaNoWriMo. I hesitate to even call it a draft zero, but it's better than a blank page right? :-)

Looking foreward to your next sub!

Thanks!!! 

Words are words. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm new here. Been writing for a year now...off and on...as the semesters rise and ebb at least. I'm a quarter way through my first novel, so yay? I've started reading the Cosmere after hearing so much about it. Actually, it was that weird shared system in its magic that brought me to it. Investiture? Anyhow, one guy i was taking advice about magic systems brought it up again and again, so I looked into it. I was in the middle of The Dark Tower books so I wasn't ready to commit to another series of novels yet I started White Sand last year and I was hooked. Took me whole year to find all three volumes, but hey I've finished it as of last month and have moved Elantris into my TBR rotation. I hope this series can help.

Also, anyone know how to pace without an outline here? cause I'm kinda lost.

btw, call me Leonard.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:10 PM, LeonardChurch said:

Hey, I'm new here. Been writing for a year now...off and on...as the semesters rise and ebb at least. I'm a quarter way through my first novel, so yay? I've started reading the Cosmere after hearing so much about it. Actually, it was that weird shared system in its magic that brought me to it. Investiture?

That's an interesting place to start out with, most people I've met did not start with the magic system. Investiture is great, but the universal magic rules in the Cosmere exist in breadcrumbs scattered throughout the series, and most of the time those breadcrumbs are right next to spoilers. (For instance, Mistborn: Secret History reveals a lot about certain Cosmere aspects and various organizations. Very cool. It is also has spoilers for every single Mistborn book currently written, so don't read it until you've read at least the original trilogy.)

Still, I'd say the long haul is worth it, also because Brandon writes very good books. Elantris happens to be my favorite of the group.

I can't offer any help there. I mostly use outlines myself. I've heard that you can skip outlines if you follow tropes closely enough because the story writes itself, but aside from that ... not right now. If you're more specific, I might be able to offer better advice (like genre of novel, for instance).

Hey, I'm new here. Been writing for a year now...off and on...as the semesters rise and ebb at least. I'm a quarter way through my first novel, so yay? I've started reading the Cosmere after hearing so much about it. Actually, it was that weird shared system in its magic that brought me to it. Investiture? Anyhow, one guy i was taking advice about magic systems brought it up again and again, so I looked into it. I was in the middle of The Dark Tower books so I wasn't ready to commit to another series of novels yet I started White Sand last year and I was hooked. Took me whole year to find all three volumes, but hey I've finished it as of last month and have moved Elantris into my TBR rotation. I hope this series can help.

btw, call me Leonard.

Welcome!
From prior experience, the first draft of the first novel is going to be a mess. You're learning how to tell a story. Honestly, if you're pantsing, don't worry about the outline or the pacing. Write the story. When you get 3/4 of the way through, figure out where you're going to end it. Don't look back. When you write "The End," take a week or two off, then come back, read the story again, and make notes to yourself of where the pacing and plot went out the window. Then make revisions.