kais

Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

1,456 posts in this topic

On 1/1/2021 at 9:25 PM, kais said:

I'd say here since everyone is looking here already?

My bad, I thought the thread for buisness of writing and publishing was for editor/agent/querying only. I'll post writing craft questions there next time. 

Thanks again!

So I have each of the 3 WIPs I've been going back and forth between in different fonts and formats, and I find it helps me sort them out in my head. Like the short story is Courier New single space / block format, my novelette is Georgia 1.5 space, and my novel is Times New Roman double space.  I've heard people say changing the font can help with creativity or getting past blocks, and changing it to Courier New for that short story seemed like it helped me with voice and tone in some way. 

Found your new story prompt:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/aditya-singh-chicago-ohare-lived-three-months/index.html

"A Californian man who was "scared to go home because of Covid" lived undetected in Chicago's O'Hare Airport for three months, according to multiple reports."

Forget The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and kids living undetected in a museum. Time to go with man living in an airport. 

What do you think of a new thread specifically for what you're reading and what inspires you about it or what you intend to do or avoid after reading it? 

It might be useful to compare notes on good examples for different writing skills. I know I've gotten some great suggestions already when the topic comes up in other threads. 

The idea just hit me while reading The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K Le Guin. Little things she does in her prose are just SO GOOD. Its Intimidating and inspiring at the same time. I don't know how I've missed this book until now. 

16 hours ago, Sarah B said:

What do you think of a new thread specifically for what you're reading and what inspires you about it or what you intend to do or avoid after reading it? 

It might be useful to compare notes on good examples for different writing skills. I know I've gotten some great suggestions already when the topic comes up in other threads. 

The idea just hit me while reading The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K Le Guin. Little things she does in her prose are just SO GOOD. Its Intimidating and inspiring at the same time. I don't know how I've missed this book until now. 

I think we had a thread like this a while back. I've got no issues either making a new one or performing thread necromancy.