Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

2 hours ago, aeromancer said:

I am actually so hyped for this, considering that Rogue One was a very good movie and the source material for Rogue Squadron is amazing (see: books, games, etc.).

What an awesome teaser. Sizzler? I am floored by how much content Disney announced yesterday and I am pumped. Feels good to have so many different new things to look forward to in the upcoming months and years!

On 11/12/2020 at 3:18 PM, Snakenaps said:

What an awesome teaser. Sizzler? I am floored by how much content Disney announced yesterday and I am pumped. Feels good to have so many different new things to look forward to in the upcoming months and years!

Honestly, I'm pretty much done with Star Wars. IMO, Disney are milking it dry and eroding the legacy of George Lucas (say what you like about prequels, etc.). Star Wars used to be an event, now it's just another, and another, and another. Marvel is heading the same way, it seems. I suppose the good thing is I can maybe go see this movie--for example--and see it as a stand alone. I did enjoy Rogue One a good deal. Quite liked Solo too, unexpectedly.

Edited by Robinski

8 hours ago, Robinski said:

Honestly, I'm pretty much done with Star Wars. IMO, Disney are milking it dry and eroding the legacy of George Lucas (say what you like about prequels, etc.). Star Wars used to be an event, now it's just another, and another, and another. Marvel is heading the same way, it seems. I suppose the good thing is I can maybe go see this movie--for example--and see it as a stand alone. I did enjoy Rogue One a good deal. Quite liked Solo too, unexpectedly.

I was feeling this a little bit too without realizing it. When they announced that they were doing a Star Wars anime I was like, "Great! Another thing disney can dig their claws into!!" but who am i kidding I know I'm gonna watch it.

But honestly I was most excited for the obiwan series that i've been waiting for for 25 years. I love Ewan McGregor.  And Hayden's gonna be in it too?? I'm stoked.

Generally, I also think star  wars is overrated. I mean, I watched the original trilogy on vhs as a kid, and later watched the clone wars on Netflix. I didnt watch the prequels until last year. People always say all this obscure lore about all these different characters and things, but I'm always so confused. The original trilogy was good, but I think the franchise as a whole is overrated imo. Though I did enjoy clone wars quite a bit

7 hours ago, karamel said:

But honestly I was most excited for the obiwan series that i've been waiting for for 25 years. I love Ewan McGregor.  And Hayden's gonna be in it too?? I'm stoked.

I would watch that, I suspect, or start at least. Having Ewan McGregor in it will give it a sense of heft, I think.

Edited by Robinski

14 hours ago, ginger_reckoning said:

People always say all this obscure lore about all these different characters and things, but I'm always so confused. The original trilogy was good, but I think the franchise as a whole is overrated imo. Though I did enjoy clone wars quite a bit

I'm all about the 'obscure lore'. Star Wars, at least just the original and prequel trilogies, is slightly overrated. But once you get into the expanded universe it actually becomes all the hype that its about. The old expanded universe, anyway, the stuff that gets filed under 'Legends'. Not the new Star Wars stuff, that is, with the exception of Rogue One, mediocre at best.

I'd recommend two starting points if you want to experience the best that the expanded universe has to offer.

-The Thrawn trilogy picks up very close to the end of Episode VI, requires very little expanded universe knowledge to enjoy, and has what is considered to be the greatest non-Force using antagonist in the entirety of the expanded universe. Also features accurate characterizations of the main characters of the original trilogy unlike some other media I could name. It's written by Timothy Zawn.

-Knights of the Old Republic (the original RPG, not the current MMO) is available for pretty cheap on a lot of platforms, mobile devices included. It's set in the Old Republic (25,000 years before the movies) and requires very little knowledge of Star Wars in general to be enjoyed. It's also best played without knowing too many details, so I'm just going to shut up now and say that it's considered one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Seriously. Play it.

4 hours ago, aeromancer said:

-The Thrawn trilogy picks up very close to the end of Episode VI, requires very little expanded universe knowledge to enjoy, and has what is considered to be the greatest non-Force using antagonist in the entirety of the expanded universe. Also features accurate characterizations of the main characters of the original trilogy unlike some other media I could name. It's written by Timothy Zawn.

I'll second this. This trilogy is fantastic. It gave Star Wars its first truly three dimensional female character (yes yes we all love Leia, but she really didn't do all that much), and probably the best villain in the old expanded universe. The books, the old ones before the reboot, were lovely. They made them for all age groups, including middle grade and YA, and a lot of us in my age group grew up on those books, following the Solo children as they grew into adults, and as the New Republic flourished. 

Now, I enjoy the new movies, too. I find all the movies to be campy and poorly written, with nice special effects, so really, my bar is pretty low. I go for a bit of escapism. But the books had original story lines and, while not necessarily exceptionally well written, were fun, and had characters you loved.

33 minutes ago, kais said:

following the Solo children as they grew into adults, and as the New Republic flourished. 

When I started reading the EU books, I was about 17 or 18, and I happened to jump into the series when the solo kids were teens. I loved those books.  I did eventually go back and read some of the earlier books, though I admit, I never read the Thrawn trilogy. Maybe one day I will.

5 hours ago, aeromancer said:

But once you get into the expanded universe it actually becomes all the hype that its about. The old expanded universe, anyway, the stuff that gets filed under 'Legends'

Very much this. 

I admit the prequels were what actually got me into Star Wars to begin with, though once I watched the original trilogy, I liked it better. But when it comes to the newest movies? 

I wanted to like them. However, I could not let go of the old EUs thriving New Republic and all the trials it endured. I couldn't let go of the second generation of Solos and Skywalkers. I hated seeing Han and Lei split, and Luke in self-exile....

If I had never read the EU, I probably would've enjoyed the new movies a lot more. 

I really have been enjoying the Mandolorian though, and think that, aside from EU books, is one of the best Star Wars creations yet. 

Edited by shatteredsmooth

On 12/13/2020 at 8:38 AM, aeromancer said:

I'm all about the 'obscure lore'. Star Wars, at least just the original and prequel trilogies, is slightly overrated.

To tag in late on the Star Wars discussion, I agree on the obscure lore, disagree on the overrated-ness of the original and prequel trilogies for one simple reason: da memes.

I absolutely adore Star Wars for the same reason I love Harry Potter: nostalgia and years to memorize the random little things. I was eleven when the Clone Wars show came out, and watched it religiously. That was and is Star Wars for me. When Rebels came out, it was corny and filled with plot armor...but it had just the right number of references back to other material (THRAWN!!! I love those books), had characters I adored (the Dysfunctional Family), and at the end built upon the mythos (The World Between Worlds! Morai!). Then in comes The Mandalorian just as Clone Wars finished ripping my heart out uuuuurrrrggggghhh- I live for my weekly adventure of Metal Dad and his Little Mean Green Eating Machine. Although can we talk about Mayfield from last episode, please? 

I look at the sequel trilogy much in the way that I look at fan fiction. Like, it exists, but I don't put a whole lot of stock into it. The original trilogy feels like a warm hug of childhood. The prequels...are the memes. I spent too long - much too long - absorbing prequel Star Wars memes back in my Reddit days. 

For me, Star Wars is Filoni. You tell me Dave Filoni is involved and I will be there. If Filoni and Carrie Beck are involved together, I'm pumped. You add Jon Favreau on top of that??? Shut up and take my money. It's all about trust, and time and time again Filoni and Favreau have floored me, while Carrie Beck has helped produce some of my favorite work. I don't trust others to understand what Star Wars is...but these guys get it. 

So, yeah, the market might be oversaturated with Marvel and Star Wars...but if that means I get a little bit of an escape from *this chaos* I'll take it as long as the content is popcorn worthy. I'm not looking for art, I'm looking for a good time. And if it isn't a good time...then I'll honestly forget it exists and it isn't a problem until someone brings it up. 

In my case, I had a short in an anthology that earned a lot of royalties so when combined with $0.03 per word advance, it equaled a pro-rate. Then I flash pieces accepted to places that had flat rates no matter how long the story was, so it came out to a pro-rate for my piece, but it wouldn't have for someone else's longer piece in the same anthology or zine.  But none of them were official SWFA venues. Other people in the first anthology I mentioned used it to get in, but for short fiction, I think you need three pro-sales. The way the language was worded my others might have counted. Then there was one that was a contest, but I think contests don't count or have different requirements. I remember getting myself very confused and deciding I would wait until I sold more shorts, but then I stopped writing shorts and focused on novels. 

27 minutes ago, ginger_reckoning said:

So what does wrs mean?

Weekly Reader/Reading Syndrome: the difficulty of waiting for a week before getting the next chapter of a story, and tending to forget details in the interim, due to not being able to keep reading.

Edited by Robinski

Hey guys. I hope everyone had a good Christmas!

It has been awhile since i was around last and I just wanted to fill you guys in on my progress this last month or so, which has not been much at all. Life kind of caught up with me and I haven't had much time to devote to my hobbies. Hopefully this will be getting better soon and I will be able to get to more critiques and subs. I have been trying to keep up with the subs that are being put in and I have been really enjoying them, I just have't had much time to get any useful critiques done on them. 

Also, Nanowrimo was a bit of a bust for me. I was able to hit 13k but I fell off pretty badly the last two weeks and couldn't manage much more. It was a great experience though, and I plan on taking part again next year. 

What do you use to write with? Whenever I meet a writer I’m always curious to know their process, especially the nitty gritty of how they record their words and if they are morning, night or whenever writers.

I mainly write on my macbook but as it is about to be sent in for repairs I have to come up with an alternative. 

I may go fancy and get a nice notebook and pen. Or I may dust off my old alphasmart word processor... ooh! Choices. I’m trying to think positive and hope that the change in writing medium may help me write something fabulous!

11 minutes ago, Valerie said:

What do you use to write with?

Scrivener on Windows! I love Scrivener, although I wish you could hop easily from computer to computer with it like Google Drive. Scrivener is perfect for my extremely organized tendencies. I used to use Google Docs but after 60+ pages it started taking forever to load, and I refuse to pay for Word's subscription. Already pay too much for my Adobe subscription. 

Luckily, I got the student discount on Word, so I use that. Though to be honest, it's just as good as google docs for what i do with it, so that subscription will not likely last long once I graduate. I usually write whenever I can, usually between classes or late at night (and then I go over them in the morning to clear out all the...bizarre content) 

So the classic coffee-fueled-student struggle, i guess.