Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

@Aspiring Writer There really is no rhime or reason with libraries and when they get their copies. I actually once got a copy waiting at my library on release day once. That was Morning Star by Pierce Brown. Usually it takes about three weeks until they get a copy it seems. I preordered RoW about a year ago during a audible premonition so my copy is $7.99 and I’ll wait until they have a kindle deal in about 6 months or so and probably snatch that up for $2.99. If you are strapped for cash that might be a route for you to go. I get that there are many that still prefer physical books though 

10 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

@Aspiring Writer There really is no rhime or reason with libraries and when they get their copies. I actually once got a copy waiting at my library on release day once. That was Morning Star by Pierce Brown. Usually it takes about three weeks until they get a copy it seems. I preordered RoW about a year ago during a audible premonition so my copy is $7.99 and I’ll wait until they have a kindle deal in about 6 months or so and probably snatch that up for $2.99. If you are strapped for cash that might be a route for you to go. I get that there are many that still prefer physical books though 

... I might have to wait three weeks?!

43 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

*Whimpers at the prospect of not reading RoW during Thanksgiving break*

So, a little hack that I used: if you have an Amazon account, you can get Audible and im pretty sure you can get one credit for free. Which you can then use to purchase RoW. Unless you can only read it and not listen  to it, which is understandable 

Also, @Ammanas, are you new here, or I'm I just too new to not have met you yet? Either way, nice to meet you!

Edited by ginger_reckoning

2 hours ago, ginger_reckoning said:

Congrats, that was fast! I've been tempted to binge, but im intentionally trying to slow myself down to savor it. I only read three chapters today, which has been a feat of self-control (But if I don't, my poor GPA is going to suffer...)

I read really fast. Though to be honest, I don't know how to read. I've only learned how to skim... and yes, there was some amount of binging. Not too much, though. Good luck - @Snakenaps, no spoilers but you're in for a wild ride. But you already knew that. You know what SA is like...

9 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

I'm going to point out that you're on a Sanderson fan site where Stormlight Archive is his magnum opus.

Yes, but I came for this group, not the Sanderson chat. I 'discovered' Sanderson through Wheel of Time, and from there found my way to Writing Excuses, which led me to Brandon's online lecture course, where I met @Mandamon, which led me here. I think that was the order of events. I read a wide variety of genre fiction, and there is just too much BS for me to plough through it all. I do have some in my TBR: Way of Kings, for example, Elantris. I'm never going to at the cutting edge of Sanderson reading, too much writing to do, and reading other things.

3 hours ago, Robinski said:

Yes, but I came for this group, not the Sanderson chat. I 'discovered' Sanderson through Wheel of Time, and from there found my way to Writing Excuses, which led me to Brandon's online lecture course, where I met @Mandamon, which led me here. I think that was the order of events. I read a wide variety of genre fiction, and there is just too much BS for me to plough through it all. I do have some in my TBR: Way of Kings, for example, Elantris. I'm never going to at the cutting edge of Sanderson reading, too much writing to do, and reading other things.

Whoops, I didn't mean it as hard as I think you took it. My apologies, I was teasing you. Gently. I'm sorry if you were offended in any way. 

3 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

Whoops, I didn't mean it as hard as I think you took it. My apologies, I was teasing you. Gently. I'm sorry if you were offended in any way. 

I'm pretty sure he was just explaining how he got here. If @Robinski was going to get offended, it would have been from all of my ribbing from the last year. I don't know how he puts up with me :)

4 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

Hey, we're cool. Actually, your post was interesting, because it made me trip back down Memory Lane to how I ended up here (and @Mandamon will correct me if I missed anything out, or got it wrong). It was nice to remember that. We set up a Google Docs group to write projects through Brandon's lecture series. I think maybe there were 6 to 8 of us, and all but three(?) fell by the wayside, and then was crossed over to RE.

Further, hmm, I also am not sure how I put up with @Snakenaps. Maybe it's the cat pictures? (No, it's not the cat pictures) :lol:;).

Edited by Robinski

1 hour ago, Robinski said:

Further, hmm, I also am not sure how I put up with @Snakenaps. Maybe it's the cat pictures? (No, it's not the cat pictures) :lol:;).

Don't lie to me, it's the cat photos. 

20201109_183955.thumb.jpg.0c9eb23ee1acfeb9dd24b63e55755f1c.jpg

50 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

I'm actually horribly sarcastic normally, and thought I may have gone too far.

Oh, absolutely me too. I've seen /s be thrown around when someone is being sarcastic so that everyone knows it is sarcasm. I both like it because it makes things clear and hate it because it means my sarcasm isn't good enough to be obvious. 

I am pretty good at deadpanning in real life. My Latin teacher refused to let us eat in his class until we passed the Deadpan Challenge. 

3 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

Great. I'm actually horribly sarcastic normally, and thought I may have gone too far. It's easier digitally though - I have time to reconsider something really funny (to me) and probably really degrading.

Eh, I've been here for a few days, but these guys don't seem that sensitive. You definitely don't need to walk on eggshells with me. I'm very... blunt when I want to be.

8 hours ago, Robinski said:

(and @Mandamon will correct me if I missed anything out, or got it wrong). It was nice to remember that. We set up a Google Docs group to write projects through Brandon's lecture series. I think maybe there were 6 to 8 of us, and all but three(?) fell by the wayside, and then was crossed over to RE.

I think that's right? It's been a while. Also fun (for me) to think back through all the "groups" that have been on here. We've had 3-4 "core" groups since I've been on this forum, but the current one is definitely the strongest and longest lasting.

(Apologies for being a ghost lately. Between recording the audiobook for Facets and dayjob stuff, I've been busy.)

4 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Eh, I've been here for a few days, but these guys don't seem that sensitive. You definitely don't need to walk on eggshells with me. I'm very... blunt when I want to be.

We don't pull punches with critiques, that's for sure. I think that's one of the defining parts of this forum. It helps you get better fast, too!

Though I will say, there is a difference between being sensitive and reacting to prejudice. The latter we do not put up with, and have had a few members in the past who were encouraged to exit because of insensitive remarks. But joking around, sarcasm, and mild ribbing is fine, as long as there is respect!

Yes, low tolerance for bigotry here. It makes us a better critique group.

53 minutes ago, Mandamon said:

but the current one is definitely the strongest and longest lasting.

I've been here literally since the group was founded and this is still true!

In solidarity, I'll add my name to the list of people who haven't read much Sanderson, certainly not much original Sanderson. I've read the Elantris, the original Mistborn trilogy, Warbreaker and ... that might be it? Oh, books 12 and 13 of the Wheel of Time (I, uhh, never quite got around to reading Memory of Light). Nothing against Sanderson's work, there's just so many other books out there.

Edited by Silk

@karamel I'm pulling our Star Wars discussion over here :)

I think what I love most about Star Wars - prequels, original, sequels, shows - is the fact that it is fun. Like, it is explosions in space with smack-talking droids and knights wielding laser swords while debating the meaning of honor. It's Kenobi saying, "Hello there" and Han saying, "I know" and Kylo Ren's pecs. It's the memes and cosplay and stunning fan art.

But, ugh, when they decide to go full force with the feels, I bawl. I cried like I was at a funeral for Clone Wars. 

You are so right about Rebels and their compelling storylines. I am rewatching the show currently, and while it is often campy (I particularly love how quickly a lightsaber cuts through metal heavily depends on plot), it is so full of heart. A World Between Worlds was amazing. I love how they added to the mythos of Star Wars. And Morai! I loved that little detail with Ahsoka and am curious to see if the owl makes it into The Mandalorian. I loved the Loth cat easter egg.

I am so pumped to watch the next episode of Mando. I hate waiting!!! And next week....eeeeeeeee...it can not come soon enough. If I ever met Filoni, I would shake that man's hand so hard. He's one of the main reasons I love Star Wars so much. Like, for me, the true Star Wars is Filoni. The care, love, and craftsmanship he puts into his work. Not the mention the easter eggs. My hero.

Ventress. What a woman. I could never get enough of her either. She always reminded me of a viper. I think my biggest problem with Clone Wars was were there any bad characters? All the main characters have such incredible personalities and character arcs, even if it might have been bumpy at the beginning. That show never pulled its punches. It was so easy to fall in love with everyone on screen. 

Edited by Snakenaps

6 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

Ventress. What a woman.

SHe pulled me in with her octopus spacehsip and kept me with her spooky woman vibes. I'm actually really hoping we see her in Mandolorian, becasue they never actually said what happened to her in Clone Wars! She just walked off after the whole "Wrong Jedi" arc. But its probably unlikely that we'll see her

2 minutes ago, ginger_reckoning said:

I'm actually really hoping we see her in Mandolorian, becasue they never actually said what happened to her in Clone Wars!

Gimme. 

3 minutes ago, ginger_reckoning said:

But its probably unlikely that we'll see her

At least we got Bo-Katan played by her actual voice actor. I freaked out about that. 

7 minutes ago, ginger_reckoning said:

SHe pulled me in with her octopus spacehsip and kept me with her spooky woman vibes. I'm actually really hoping we see her in Mandolorian, becasue they never actually said what happened to her in Clone Wars! She just walked off after the whole "Wrong Jedi" arc. But its probably unlikely that we'll see her

She died in the novel dark disciple, I think! So, sadly, we probably won't ever see her again :,(

19 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

@karamel I'm pulling our Star Wars discussion over here :)

I think what I love most about Star Wars - prequels, original, sequels, shows - is the fact that it is fun. Like, it is explosions in space with smack-talking droids and knights wielding laser swords while debating the meaning of honor. It's Kenobi saying, "Hello there" and Han saying, "I know" and Kylo Ren's pecs. It's the memes and cosplay and stunning fan art.

But, ugh, when they decide to go full force with the feels, I bawl. I cried like I was at a funeral for Clone Wars. 

You are so right about Rebels and their compelling storylines. I am rewatching the show currently, and while it is often campy (I particularly love how quickly a lightsaber cuts through metal heavily depends on plot), it is so full of heart. A World Between Worlds was amazing. I love how they added to the mythos of Star Wars. And Morai! I loved that little detail with Ahsoka and am curious to see if the owl makes it into The Mandalorian. I loved the Loth cat easter egg.

I am so pumped to watch the next episode of Mando. I hate waiting!!! And next week....eeeeeeeee...it can not come soon enough. If I ever met Filoni, I would shake that man's hand so hard. He's one of the main reasons I love Star Wars so much. Like, for me, the true Star Wars is Filoni. The care, love, and craftsmanship he puts into his work. Not the mention the easter eggs. My hero.

Ventress. What a woman. I could never get enough of her either. She always reminded me of a viper. I think my biggest problem with Clone Wars was were there any bad characters? All the main characters have such incredible personalities and character arcs, even if it might have been bumpy at the beginning. That show never pulled its punches. It was so easy to fall in love with everyone on screen. 

Omg the callbacks, little mentions, and easter eggs are the absolute best! When I saw Solo in theaters and heard Maul's voice, I was like, "Is that Sam Witwer!?" Like just simply having them use the clone wars and rebels voice actor in the movie was so awesome. And yeah, they do know how to give the feels. I think that's why I love Revenge of the Sith because it ends on such a bitter note. When Yoda senses all the jedi being murdered and he clutches his chest, oof, I felt that.

Also, Ahsoka's arc in rebels was sooooo amazing (her fight with Vader, oh man, and the way they used Anakin's voice and overlapped it with Vader's). And Clone Wars did so much for the prequels. It made Obiwan and Anakin's bitter end all the more heart wrenching. I honestly love clone wars Anakin way better than movie Anakin (Sorry Hayden).

I actually went to Star Wars celebration last year and got to see some of the panels with Filoni and crew and it was so incredible. All of Filoni's characters are just... *chef's kiss*