Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

On 25/10/2020 at 1:42 AM, Turin Turambar said:

I've really only be able to do this for the last few weeks, and can only do it for another week or two. After that, most of the time it's like a K a week.

Hey, 1k a week is still good, because it's a habit, and it's consistent and regular, and you'll end up with a book. nice job :) 

Editing is hard. 

I know that should not be a shock, but I had ignored the warnings and continued to beleive that writing the first draft was the hard part. 

Sort of like thinking that riding the ski lift up the mountain would be the scary part, I guess. :-)

Does anyone have a favorite book, podcast, blog, YouTube channel, etc about editing that they would like to recomend? Any and all appreciated!

Edited by Sarah B

LOL, yes. I tend to think that the next part is always the hardest part.

I think editing is like anything else, but the you need to gather the comment, plan your approach, then again--just like writing--give yourself a daily target. That's my approach anyway.

1 hour ago, Sarah B said:

Editing is hard. 

Now we can suffer together, my friend. 

1 hour ago, Robinski said:

I think editing is like anything else, but the you need to gather the comment, plan your approach, then again--just like writing--give yourself a daily target. That's my approach anyway.

Great advice I suck at doing. I feel like I've hit weekly goals instead of daily. 

I think the trick I've learned so far for editing is making sure a decent amount of time has passed since the chapter passed through critiques. That way I know I'm looking at the chapter objectively and not just emotionally reacting to everyone's comments. 

Beyond Writing Excuses, I don't really know of any great resources off of the top of my head. Thankfully, they have plenty of revising episodes. 

3 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

Great advice I suck at doing. I feel like I've hit weekly goals instead of daily. 

Subject to time available, of course :) 

I think the trick I've learned so far for editing is making sure a decent amount of time has passed since the chapter passed through critiques. That way I know I'm looking at the chapter objectively and not just emotionally reacting to everyone's comments.

Good advice. I'd say it varies from person to person (Ooh, no kidding, Robinski, how amazingly insightful!) For example, if I wait too long to edit, I'll lose the sense of what was happening and the context of the original comments (often). I don't like to leave it longer than a month or two, for an alpha read. For a weekly project going through here, I'll sub a chapter then edit the previous one.

Beyond Writing Excuses, I don't really know of any great resources off of the top of my head. Thankfully, they have plenty of revising episodes. 

Me too. I mean, there's David Farland's tips feed. I've been storing up those nuggets for years, but haven't managed to maintain momentum at going through them. Also, Death of 1,000 Cuts podcast, although I find Tim Clare's advice has become much more about the psychology / mindset of writing over the years.

I mean, there's David Farland's tips feed.

Oh yeah, I'm signed up for his newsletter. Still haven't figured out how to download and read his free digital book, though. 

I also like reading Janet Reid's stuff, but that isn't necessarily writing tips and more publishing tips. But either way she is so entertaining. 

• 2 weeks later...

OMG, I was researching something for my current project, and I came across this. MI5's FAQ page. It's awesome!! :lol: 

5fb2c69c22c99_ScreenShot2020-11-16at18_35_46.thumb.png.f440547f66f91363f1271ac52ecb8b52.png

Super interesting page in fact. During WW1, there were 9 MI departments, and in WW2 there were 17!!

I'm hoping the DG will speak at my daughter's birthday party next month...

Edited by Robinski

I'm hoping the DG will speak at my daughter's birthday party next month...

Note to self: never go to a party hosted by @Robinski. 

...oh, who am I kidding. If you somehow blackmail them into pulling this off I wanna come. :P

17 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

How many people are otherwise indisposed regarding writing and binging WoR?

If you somehow mixed up your letters and meant Rhythm of War (RoW)...very soon. My copy is supposed to arrive anytime. 

If you meant WoR...I am not sure what you are referring to and need context clues. 

5 hours ago, Robinski said:

Meh. I've only every read the first Mistborn trilogy, and Books 1 and 2 of the second Mistborn trilogy. Oh, and Books 12, 13 and 14 of Wheel of Time, of course.

I'm going to point out that you're on a Sanderson fan site where Stormlight Archive is his magnum opus. 

EDIT: finished RoW.

22 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

I'm going to point out that you're on a Sanderson fan site where Stormlight Archive is his magnum opus. 

I was a part of this community for...what, six months before I finally read them? Then I found out my uncle owned the books and he loaned them to me. Inhaled them within days. 

My RoW is due to arrive at my parents' by Monday, so I'll get it on Friday! Didn't want to chance it getting stolen sent to my place. 

25 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

Didn't want to chance it getting stolen sent to my place.

Honestly, a valid concern considering the fact that its...ya know...the next SA book

51 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

EDIT: finished RoW

Congrats, that was fast! I've been tempted to binge, but im intentionally trying to slow myself down to savor it. I only read three chapters today, which has been a feat of self-control (But if I don't, my poor GPA is going to suffer...)