Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

I want to resubmit my chapter one, but before I do I want to know if it's a breach of good taste to resubmit the same thing so soon. No, I'm not one of those people who endlessly revises chapter one. @Mandamon specifically but really everyone said that the MC's motivation made the story hard to get through. I think I fixed that and I want to know if it works before I commit another 50k-ish words to this mess. Opinions?

Also an idea: What does everyone think of sharing a google drive folder with everyone in RE, with a folder per person per story so people can go through written works and comment and just enjoy a good story?

1 hour ago, Turin Turambar said:

I want to resubmit my chapter one, but before I do I want to know if it's a breach of good taste to resubmit the same thing so soon. No, I'm not one of those people who endlessly revises chapter one. @Mandamon specifically but really everyone said that the MC's motivation made the story hard to get through. I think I fixed that and I want to know if it works before I commit another 50k-ish words to this mess. Opinions?

I personally don't have an issue with it, but I also worry that because we just read it, we also might be biased from our previous experience. So I think that as long as you know we aren't reading it with fresh eyes that it'll be fine.

Also an idea: What does everyone think of sharing a google drive folder with everyone in RE, with a folder per person per story so people can go through written works and comment and just enjoy a good story?

I'm not experienced enough in the group to vote. Although, since the group has been going on for 10+ years, it may have been attempted before. My guess that the reason why we don't go through Google Drive and instead use the forum is because there are a high degree of people who join and then...disappear.

Which is not to say that this is a vampire club using the premise of writing to draw in nerds to suck them dry. I think...

To switch topics, I'd like to just give a quiet "Hurrah!" Today is August 6th, marking exactly one year since I began the first draft of Name of the King. It's been one hell of a year, and I'm amazed at how far I've come since I first started. I've grown so much as a person, writer, and critiquer. I'm excited that I've been able to share half of that year here with Reading Excuses (did I really join in February? It feels like I'm so much newer than that) and I hope that I will be able to continue to share this journey with this incredible group.

Thanks for everything. 

J Gatsby Raising a Toast | Gatsby, The great gatsby, Today meme

To another great year of writing! 

Also, P.S., @kais, you're getting a pegasus rant tomorrow, be prepared. 

33 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

I personally don't have an issue with it, but I also worry that because we just read it, we also might be biased from our previous experience. So I think that as long as you know we aren't reading it with fresh eyes that it'll be fine.

I agree.

33 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

I'm not experienced enough in the group to vote. Although, since the group has been going on for 10+ years, it may have been attempted before. My guess that the reason why we don't go through Google Drive and instead use the forum is because there are a high degree of people who join and then...disappear.

That's a pretty good assessment. Over the years, we've had a few little subgroups form (Write About Dragons, Alpha Readers) and generally the more dedicated ones drift back here after the others disappear. This format seems to hold up well, but there's always private requests if there's anyone you specifically want an opinion from.

35 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

Which is not to say that this is a vampire club using the premise of writing to draw in nerds to suck them dry. I think...

I believe the first rule of vampire club is don't...er...nevermind.

31 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

To switch topics, I'd like to just give a quiet "Hurrah!" Today is August 6th, marking exactly one year since I began the first draft of Name of the King. It's been one hell of a year, and I'm amazed at how far I've come since I first started. I've grown so much as a person, writer, and critiquer. I'm excited that I've been able to share half of that year here with Reading Excuses (did I really join in February? It feels like I'm so much newer than that) and I hope that I will be able to continue to share this journey with this incredible group.

Hey! Congrats! writing a draft in a year is really good accomplishment, and you show good dedication to getting another round done. I'm looking forward to the final product!

And I guess a 6 month anniversary for RE is in order too!

13 minutes ago, Mandamon said:

That's a pretty good assessment. Over the years, we've had a few little subgroups form (Write About Dragons, Alpha Readers) and generally the more dedicated ones drift back here after the others disappear. This format seems to hold up well, but there's always private requests if there's anyone you specifically want an opinion from.

The idea was so that there would be a spot where the manuscripts could reside. I know that both @kais and @Snakenaps for one said that they did solid revisions, and that way we'd be able to see it. I don't know.

The idea was so that there would be a spot where the manuscripts could reside. I know that both @kais and @Snakenaps for one said that they did solid revisions, and that way we'd be able to see it. I don't know.

The issue there is that it can count as a ‘first publication’ to put it up in its entirety like that. I would be uncomfortable sharing a link to a completed work here that was going to my agent for sub. I’m perfectly happy to email PDFs though for those looking for something to read!

12 hours ago, Snakenaps said:
13 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

Hey, @Turin Turambar. I guess this means that me not getting around to your previous sub is an advantage, as I hope to get back into critiquing next week. So, I can read your resubmission with completely fresh eyes. In fact, I'm quite intrigued now I've read this little chat here. I will not read your previous thread before Monday.

14 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

@Snakenaps, you absolutely get a vote. This is not some kind of stuff, set-in-its-ways group where a bunch of cronies run the show. It's a open group and that goes for voices being heard too. Everyone should feel free to have an opinion on this topic, or anything else :) 

Today is August 6th, marking exactly one year since I began the first draft of Name of the King.

See, I had to pinch myself when this came up in one of our emails, as you know. I think it's quite some achievement what you've done so far, and how committed to the project you are. Well done <thumbs up>

12 hours ago, Mandamon said:

I believe the first rule of vampire club is don't...er...nevermind.

:lol: 

10 hours ago, kais said:

The issue there is that it can count as a ‘first publication’ to put it up in its entirety like that. I would be uncomfortable sharing a link to a completed work here that was going to my agent for sub. I’m perfectly happy to email PDFs though for those looking for something to read!

Yeah, this is one very important point.

Another one, @Turin Turambar, is that I think you will actually get less feedback by going the complete draft route.

Think about it this way. If we all put drafts of our novels up on drive, that would be--what--maybe six or seven novels all going up at once? That's going to be something like 500,000 to 700,000 words all appearing at the same time. Who's going to read that, and how long is it going to take them? The reality, I think, will be that one or two projects will get all the reads and others might be left languishing unread. You end up with a two-tier system (at least) and some folks get no crits at all.

Another thing to consider: the format we have results in us getting through a powerful amount of critiquing. Potentially 25,000 words a week, in parallel with our own writing. I think that's massive, and I don't think 

We already have an alpha readers thread, and anyone is free at any time to post up there looking for a complete read, where they can email their M/S (and therefore have more control over distribution) to individuals who put their hands up. As @Mandamon said, we have had offshoot groups like Write About Dragons, where a handful of us went through Brandon's online course in parallel with subbing to that group. As with this group, I think we started with maybe 10 folks and ended up with three of four, the rest disappeared, starting from quite early on.

So, I would say, it ain't broken; let's not fix it ;) 

6 hours ago, Robinski said:

Another one, @Turin Turambar, is that I think you will actually get less feedback by going the complete draft route.

I think you may have misunderstood the intent here. It wasn't supposed to replace RE, it was supposed to be a folder where we could see the projects as they go along - primarily after they were submitted and previously critiqued. Like when people decide to entirely revise chapters at a time, everyone can see the new versions and get the new information and say which one they liked better, etc. 

Also in terms of editing - do what you want. I think I'm going to try to write a slew of chapters before submitting. I think this is going to end up an ensemble, but I don't know the characters well enough to write them, so I want that done before I start submitting these characters and changing them from underneath everyone.

Edited by Turin Turambar

On 07/08/2020 at 9:30 PM, Turin Turambar said:

I think you may have misunderstood the intent here. It wasn't supposed to replace RE, it was supposed to be a folder where we could see the projects as they go along - primarily after they were submitted and previously critiqued. Like when people decide to entirely revise chapters at a time, everyone can see the new versions and get the new information and say which one they liked better, etc. 

Okay, I take your point. Yes, I misconstrued it as a replacement or alternative for the weekly submission. I'm not sure that RE would want to front this, due to the access issues and the 'floating' membership as @Silk outlined, but there's nothing to stop an individual member setting something up and other folks participating if they want to.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys and gal and everyone else. (this started as guys, then probably it wan't PC. I don't know how do address people anymore.)

My life is starting to get crazy, and my access to a computer will probably get down to an hour a week sometime in the near future. For way to many emails, critiquing, and writing. So just giving you a heads up that I'll still be around and I haven't died or something.

You're all great.  

15 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

I don't know how do address people anymore.

I got in trouble multiple times with a former mentor for referring to students as "dudes."

I still maintain that "dudes" is the best way of addressing a group. It's gender neutral (anyone who says otherwise can fight good ol' Californian me), it can be used as a noun or an exclamation or a curse.

Dude.

17 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

So just giving you a heads up that I'll still be around and I haven't died or something.

Thanks for the heads up, otherwise I would have assumed you were abducted by aliens. 

Pin on LOTR Memes

9 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

Hey guys and gal and everyone else. (this started as guys, then probably it wan't PC. I don't know how do address people anymore.)

My life is starting to get crazy, and my access to a computer will probably get down to an hour a week sometime in the near future. For way to many emails, critiquing, and writing. So just giving you a heads up that I'll still be around and I haven't died or something.

You're all great.  

Thanks for letting us know, and hope everything goes well!

10 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

You're all great.  

good luck!