Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

1 hour ago, shatteredsmooth said:

The downstairs window unit air conditioner decided it was tired of being an an AC and instead, it was going to be a fog machine. 

There's two options for fog machines:

1) Rave

2) Haunted house

Personally, haunted houses are more fun.

On a more serious note, I hope your AC realizes being a fog machine isn't so fun and reverts back to how it should work. 

16 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

On a more serious note, I hope your AC realizes being a fog machine isn't so fun and reverts back to how it should work. 

Thank you!

27 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

Personally, haunted houses are more fun.

I agree!

Luckily, the last thunderstorm brought to temp down outside, so we have the windows open and the fans on. It's about 75F (23.9C)...with a lovely 88% humidity.

Tomorrow won't be too hot, but by Sunday, if this one is not back in working order, we'll be buying a new one. 

6 hours ago, shatteredsmooth said:

The downstairs window unit air conditioner decided it was tired of being an an AC and instead, it was going to be a fog machine.

Oh, wow. While that sounds funky, I'm sure it's a massive pain. Good luck with that :) 

Has anyone read about Brandon Sanderson's kickstarter for a leather bound, 'Way of Kings'? It's setting records and already in the multi-millions.

Joanne Penn, on the Creative Penn podcast,  referred to it as an excellent reason to hold on to some of your story rights if you traditionally publish. In Brandon's case, the rights to special editions. 

On 7/26/2020 at 4:33 PM, Turin Turambar said:

I'm just wondering what happened to the RP? Or did you say something about it that I just missed. Not that I'm rushing you, or anything

Hi @Turin Turambar! It went to my agent, who loved it! He wants me to make it more fantastical though, so before it goes out I'm replacing the railroads with pegasi, really going all out weird fantasy. He basically told me to let myself run wild. So starting next week I'm stripping out all the 'real world' elements, going full on silly, and notching M's arrogance up a bit at the beginning. I might send a few chapters back through here before sending it back to my agent. Unsure. I can always send you the full to read after this next round of edits if you want? I'll need fresh eyes anyway.

Edited by kais

12 hours ago, kais said:

I can always send you the full to read after this next round of edits if you want? I'll need fresh eyes anyway.

Depending on when you have it done and when  it needs to go back to your agent, I can probably volunteer!

Just a polite reminder that if you haven't backed up your stuff in a while, now's a good time to do so. My website is massively on the fritz, and it's a nice reminder to make sure I've got all of my worldbuilding backed up. Take a page from my book, don't get caught off guard. 

Edited by Snakenaps
:P

On 24/07/2020 at 0:08 AM, shatteredsmooth said:

Timely reminder indeed. I can declare support for this advice.

My iPhone died horribly and I had to get a replacement at short notice (it was a battery issue: phone started swelling up and splitting the case open :blink:). But I had backed up to iTunes, so that was fine, right? Wrong! The device refused to restore from the iTunes back up because the phone didn't have the latest iOS on it (or iTunes, I forget now). However, I had also backed up to the iCloud--double backups--so I was iRelieved to be able to iRestore from the iCloud. Okay, probably I could have completed the set-up without restoring, updated the software and gone back to restore from iTunes, but the moral is '#ListenToSnakenaps Snakenaps gives good advice!'

Edited by Robinski

1 hour ago, Snakenaps said:

I mean, at least it didn't light on fire??? 

It didn't. The guy at the App Store said if they tried to change it in the shop and punctured the battery they would have to evacuate the shop :o 

I have stuff on  my laptop, and on Google Drive. My complete drafts for novels and novellas are backed up on my kindle. But I need to put them on the external harddrive that is sitting in my desk still in its packaging.

...although I'm not sure I can call it my desk anymore since my spouse has been working at it since March. I rarely wrote at it anyway. Mostly I just piled random stuff on it and stored random stuff in the draw. The living room is too dark for me. The screen porch is my office until it gets too cold. It has yet to get hot enough for me to actually go in the house and write. I just jump in the lake when I get too hot.

OH, and speaking of air conditioning, my spouse took the filter out and vacuumed it. Some weatherstripping had fallen into it and dissolved, and it was also very dusty. 

No more fog machine impersonation. I guess it had never really been fog to begin with, but dust. It was just so humid that day that it felt like fog. 

6 minutes ago, shatteredsmooth said:

I have stuff on  my laptop, and on Google Drive. My complete drafts for novels and novellas are backed up on my kindle. But I need to put them on the external harddrive that is sitting in my desk still in its packaging.

I've got everything backed up on my laptop, my Google Drive, and a giant mega USB. I also periodically send drafts of my book to four of my emails, since theoretically I could then get the files if my laptop and USB burn in a fire and Google Drive decides to act like my stinkin' website. 

8 minutes ago, shatteredsmooth said:

...although I'm not sure I can call it my desk anymore since my spouse has been working at it since March. I rarely wrote at it anyway. Mostly I just piled random stuff on it and stored random stuff in the draw. The living room is too dark for me. The screen porch is my office until it gets too cold. It has yet to get hot enough for me to actually go in the house and write. I just jump in the lake when I get too hot

The worst thing I ever did was get a roll top vintage desk. SO MANY crannies to stuff junk into. 

I wish I had a screen porch, or a porch at all, but with these 100 degree days, I wouldn't be using it right now anyway. Do you have a view of the lake from your porch??? 

10 minutes ago, shatteredsmooth said:

OH, and speaking of air conditioning, my spouse took the filter out and vacuumed it. Some weatherstripping had fallen into it and dissolved, and it was also very dusty. 

No more fog machine impersonation. I guess it had never really been fog to begin with, but dust. It was just so humid that day that it felt like fog

That is good news!!! Dust fog sounds worse to breath in than fog machine fog.