Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

OK, really random. I don't like lawns, and I like to let them grow longer than my neighbors deem acceptable, but my spouse just bought a new electric lawn mower, which has a battery instead of a cord, and I am actually really excited about it. 

I had a corded one that my mom had bought it at a yard sale for $10 or $20 at least ten years and I took it with me when I moved out seven years ago. It was starting to die. We thought about taking it apart to try and figure out if the wiring was worn out or if the motor was dying, but decided the thing had run its course and it was time to get a new one.

I'll miss the old one, but I like not having to worry about running over the cord. And the wheels are bigger on the new one, so it doesn't get stuck places.

2 hours ago, shatteredsmooth said:

OK, really random. I don't like lawns, and I like to let them grow longer than my neighbors deem acceptable, but my spouse just bought a new electric lawn mower, which has a battery instead of a cord, and I am actually really excited about it.

Congratulations on your new lawn mower!

8 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

My (now former) roommate had never seen Firefly and I find that both horrifying and sad. 

It's certainly sad. In today's market, there is no way Firefly would have been cancelled. I reckon someone would have bought it (thinking of the example of the Expanse). I'd pull up short of horrifying. I think it remains a bit niche, even among SFF fans, and not everyone thinks that Joss Whedon's scripts are tracts of genius handed down from the mount.

8 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

had never seen any of the Star Wars or Indiana Jones movies. I'm now responsible for her crush on Harrison Ford.

Now this is horrifying :lol:. I guess that partly it's an age thing though, much as we would not like to admit it. Also, had a total bloke crush on Dr. Jones. Raiders... is a pretty much perfect movie, IMO.

6 hours ago, Silk said:

Is... is now a bad time to confess  that I have only seen the pilot episode?

Oh, Silk. Oh, Silk! How can we rectify this? It's available on Prime-Video.

6 hours ago, shatteredsmooth said:

At that point in my life, I just didn't buy DVDs and streaming wasn't a thing yet

Yup. If anything, I think it was a show before its time, because I guess that time does not come around without those shows that break the ground.

8 hours ago, Robinski said:

Now this is horrifying :lol:. I guess that partly it's an age thing though, much as we would not like to admit it. Also, had a total bloke crush on Dr. Jones. Raiders... is a pretty much perfect movie, IMO.

15 hours ago, Silk said:

I didn't watch Indiana Jones until the later end of college. 

I don't know if I ever admitted it to the forum or not, but I watched the Star Wars prequels before the original movies. Revenge of the Sith came out during my junior year of high school and I had never watched Star Wars movie ever. I remember renting DVDs of the first two prequels then going to the midnight opening of RoS.  People went in costume. There were light saber battles in the parking lot. It was epic. 

Then I watched the originals on VHS and went on an Expanded Universe binge read where I did a lot jumping back and forth between clone wars era books, books set right after the original movies, and books that should've inspired the story line for the new movies. 

I will never forgive Disney for not including Jaina Solo and Mara Jade in the movies. 

51 minutes ago, shatteredsmooth said:

I don't know if I ever admitted it to the forum or not, but I watched the Star Wars prequels before the original movies.

I think for everyone it's just a function of when you were born. For example I saw A New Hope in the cinema when it came out. :( 

51 minutes ago, shatteredsmooth said:

I will never forgive Disney for not including Jaina Solo and Mara Jade in the movies. 

I believe that part of D*sney's rampant exploitation of the IP is going to be to bring in some of the characters from Clone Wars, etc. into various shows like the Man DeLorean, etc.

But I refuse to buy D+ in a similar way that I have refused to buy Sky--in that case because Rupert Murdoch is the Prince of Darkness.

Edited by Robinski

4 minutes ago, Robinski said:

I believe that part of D*sney's rampant exploitation of the IP is going to be to bring in some of the characters from Clone Wars, etc. into various shows like the Man DeLorean, etc.

Spoilers for Mandalorian season 2

Spoiler

Ahsoka Tano, arguably one of the best characters not only in Clone Wars but the entire franchise, has been cast for Mandalorian season 2. This will be the first time the character is seen in live action, and will be played by Rosario Dawson. 

It hasn't been fully confirmed/announced, but enough reputable sources are confirming it, so I believe it. 

11 minutes ago, Robinski said:

I've heard this too, but it probably won't be the ones I really want (because they will be from the TV show, not the clone wars era books) 

The Mando show was actually pretty good. My in-laws got D*sney + so we use their account. My spouse basically said he was watching that show with or without me so I decided to watch it since it had been at least 6 months, maybe longer, since I had watched any kind of TV series. 

Edited by shatteredsmooth

10 hours ago, Robinski said:

Oh, Silk. Oh, Silk! How can we rectify this? It's available on Prime-Video.

I am notoriously bad at making time to watch videos and TV shows. TV is just not and has never really been a thing for me for whatever reason. To @shatteredsmooth's point, I only watched the Pilot episode when I lived with my friend in Tasmania for a month. He had the series on DVD, and unlike me, his default is very much "have the TV on all the time while doing stuff." So  the first episode got watched. The pilot episode was double-length, if that helps!

Also, Prime? Pfft. I have managed to go my entire life without buying anything from Amazon and I don't intend to start now. :P

Happy new lawnmower @shatteredsmooth!

33 minutes ago, shatteredsmooth said:

I never watched the clone wars show though.

The first season is bumpy as it finds its voice, but The Clone Wars is ridiculously good. I enjoyed the Mandalorian, but The Clone Wars is miles ahead of it when it comes to storytelling. Then again, it also had seven seasons, and Mando has only had one. 

All of my favorite characters are in Clone Wars. I could easily rant essays about the series. For me, when I think Star Wars, I think Clone Wars. 

Clone Wars is easily up there in my top favorite TV shows (although, granted I don't watch much TV). Avatar: The Last Airbender is #1, though. 

1 minute ago, Silk said:

He had the series on DVD, and unlike me, his default is very much "have the TV on all the time while doing stuff."

I cannot function or accomplish anything if the TV is on. Either it is off or I am completely sucked into whatever I am watching. Anything in between literally makes my brain hurt. So my spouse watches a lot of shows now on his laptop with headphones on. 

2 minutes ago, Silk said:

Also, Prime? Pfft. I have managed to go my entire life without buying anything from Amazon and I don't intend to start now. :P

That is awesome! 

41 minutes ago, shatteredsmooth said:

I cannot function or accomplish anything if the TV is on. Either it is off or I am completely sucked into whatever I am watching.

Man, saaaame.

Confession: I haven't seen The Mandalorian either. I've heard from a lot of people it's really good, and I honestly can't bring myself to watch it. I'm not a fan of ... basically everything that D*sney has done. Here's a good example: For Clone Wars, I saw the original 'Bad Batch' arc. When Clone Wars got canceled way back when, someone leaked a whole bunch of mockups of Season 7. Nothing more than stilted character models and the very barest of bones when it came to voice acting - and it only really covered two arcs, and one of them was the 'Bad Batch' arc. And I would rather watch that mostly un-animated mess than watch the actual Bad Batch arc in the newly released Clone Wars Season 7.

The only thing I liked was Rogue One, and that was in spite of myself trying to hate it. Rogue One was really good because it's a movie starting the B-plot characters which was allowed to tell it's own story and had an authentic feel to it. Everything else feels like they're just mucking around with characters that they really don't understand and shoveling consumerism at us. I know The Mandalorian is supposed to be really good and be completely clean of all these issues, but I honestly can't watch anything Star Wars these days, pretty much ever since I saw Last Jedi. I like Ahsoka Tano, but only when the writers actually know what they're doing with her. And her showing up in Mandalorian isn't going to make me want to watch it. If she was an organic character in the story, maybe, but I don't think she's an organic character in the story, I think she's shoehorned in to make people want to watch it. It's the same stupid gimmick they keep pulling with Darth Maul. We get it. Darth Maul was a cool villain. Now stop treating him like a comic book villain with a revolving afterlife door, please!

(Given that I haven't seen The Mandalorian, it's possible that Ahsoka Tano is actually going to show up as a natural outgrowth in the story and be very good in it. In that case, I apologize for badmouthing it. But I doubt that's going to happen, given that my skepticism is completely earned and justified at this point.)

Virgil and I stayed at my sister's today while the carpets got cleaned. He had a good time chilling. 

Snake pictures incoming, sorry to anyone who has ophidiophobia.

Photos are sideways because mobile hates me. 

20200615_162357.thumb.jpg.64dd0537264ec62bfce29a968c36e980.jpg

It's very hard to take photos of him because Virgil finds phones fascinating. 

20200615_162316.thumb.jpg.279da97b944b988b0d09d3b5a8d6f3a1.jpg

My boy is a sweet dork who has spent most of today sleeping in an old Pepsi box. 

After watering the garden, I came into the house with my hands full of strawberries that I'd just picked. My spouse looked at them, then up at me, and said, "Is that your serving of fruit for the week?" :lol:

My response was, "No, there will be more ready to pick tomorrow."

strawberry.jpg

In today's episode of Katie's Mishaps, Virgil, my snakey boy, managed to get under the fridge in the 30 seconds I left him unsupervised. Then, Virgil being Virgil, decided to slither into the back of the fridge when I tried to get him out.received_295683244908229.thumb.jpeg.b4468e0f185f0968091211ea75ecb6df.jpeg

My best friend and I managed to unscrew the back of the fridge. I grabbed Virgil by the front, and my bestie poked Virgil's butt with an ice pack and a cold metal rod. We eventually got him out inch by inch. All four feet of him. 

received_1392411954281132.thumb.jpeg.838402f5fce4f2a69a12d89bcdc1a545.jpeg

Virgil, in his infinite (unintelligent) wisdom, seemed to have forgotten his joyride once I put him back, uninjured, into his tank. Me, I'm trying to get my adrenaline level back to a reasonable rate. 

When someone inevitably asks me, "Does your snake bite?" I'm going to tell of this time, when he was getting manhandled on his front half, and poked on the back half, and did not care in the least. I wish I was this laid back. 

2 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

Me, I'm trying to get my adrenaline level back to a reasonable rate. 

When someone inevitably asks me, "Does your snake bite?" I'm going to tell of this time, when he was getting manhandled on his front half, and poked on the back half, and did not care in the least. I wish I was this laid back. 

I am certain I would've bit someone if I was Virgil.

I'm glad you got him safely back into his tank. Maybe he will be hungry from his adventure.