Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

1 minute ago, Robinski said:

:lol:  

Love publishing; hate rollercoasters!

I respect that. It took me years to learn to enjoy rollercoasters, and I still don't like the really crazy ones. Dad got me on my first when I was thirteen for $20. I really wanted a new model horse, but I cried almost the entire time. 

Happy story: Last spring I went on a four day camping trip with two fourth grade classes. On the way back from the trip, we got to go to Six Flags. I bribed so many students into riding their first rollercoaster with class money. It turns out that the most cowardly of students could be bribed for several hundred fake dollars. The smartest kid made a bet with me for a $10 squid hat. Best money I've ever spent. 

Hey, folks. I'm really sorry about this, I'm already behind in grits and grit responses, but I'm going to have to delay a couple more days or so. I'm subbing to an agent and need to get my 'rust' together. First four chapters of TMM, which I am going to edit, then edit the synopsis again, then go over my covering letter again. I'm really not that happy with it to be honest.

HI everyone! A bit (lot) self-promotional this morning, as I just opened up the Kickstarter for Facets and Fall, which you kind folks have been reviewing.You can find the campaign here:https://kickstarter.com/projects/spacewizard/the-dissolution-cycle-books-2-and-3-science-fantasy-lgbtq

You can also get a look at a few of the characters, as I have the first illustrations posted in the campaign: G sitting on K, and one of the Elg!

Any social media shares are appreciated!

20 minutes ago, Mandamon said:

HI everyone! A bit (lot) self-promotional this morning, as I just opened up the Kickstarter for Facets and Fall, which you kind folks have been reviewing.You can find the campaign here:https://kickstarter.com/projects/spacewizard/the-dissolution-cycle-books-2-and-3-science-fantasy-lgbtq

You can also get a look at a few of the characters, as I have the first illustrations posted in the campaign: G sitting on K, and one of the Elg!

Maybe post it up on the Reading Excuses Facebook page? There are 156 likes / followers. Not sure how many active, but it would be nice to build up some activity there. I'm terrible at doing that!!

5 hours ago, Mandamon said:

I pledged! Can I just say that the Elg looks considerably more frightening than what my imagination came up with? 

1 hour ago, Snakenaps said:

I pledged! Can I just say that the Elg looks considerably more frightening than what my imagination came up with? 

Thanks so much!

Yeah, that was the one sketch he did that I had no comments on. It's perfect!

1 hour ago, Snakenaps said:

Can I just say that the Elg looks considerably more frightening than what my imagination came up with? 

I love the illustrations of them! SO COOL!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 2:25 PM, Mandamon said:

Yeah, that was the one sketch he did that I had no comments on. It's perfect!

The illustrations are great!

So, here's a silly thing. I just learned that this week is International Trombone Week. So I'm doing a Facebook* livestream on Sunday to celebrate! 2pm PDT on Sunday in the (unlikely?) event that anyone wants to hang around with me while I play some jazz trombone solos.

* yes, I changed my mind about Instagram, for those keeping score at home. Seems Facebook will probably be easier, for everyone except me anyway. Link above is to my musician's page so you don't have to friend me to follow along.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

Unfortunately, the 300+ model horses and 500+ books take up any extra room I've got...

On the other hand, if you ever need any random knowledge about plastic or resin model horses, I'm your gal! 

Fun fact: Last year, Breyer Model Horses sold a one of a kind model at auction for $22,000. I enjoy collecting the occasional model but I'm not that crazy (or rich). 

Wow! So, because I love collecting stuff (stamps; concert tickets; vinyl/music; DVDs; football (soccer) cards; Scalextric cars; beer bottle caps; coins; etc.), what would be the top end for My Little Pony, @kais? On Ebay, I seem to be looking at heading towards $500 for single rare examples. I realise it's not a fair comparison, but what the hey. I'm seeing Breyers up to $1,200/1,300 just on Ebay.

@Robinski they aren’t worth quite as much as Breyer horses. The ultra rare Greek and South African ponies can go for $2000+ these days, but I’ve never seen one over $3000

I own one of the most rare My Little Ponies, actually. Only four of her known to exist in the world!

@Snakenaps I don't collect anything, but my mom, who is an antique dealer (part-time now, used to be full-time) buys and sells collectibles that aren't exactly antiques. She's found some Briar horses that have sold for over $1,000. I think she makes more money off of collectibles than actual antiques. 

Last week she bought some tea-set off of FB marketplace for under $100 and it for about $1500 on ebay. 

Edited by shatteredsmooth

On 4/22/2020 at 8:28 PM, Silk said:

The illustrations are great!

So, here's a silly thing. I just learned that this week is International Trombone Week. So I'm doing a Facebook* livestream on Sunday to celebrate! 2pm PDT on Sunday in the (unlikely?) event that anyone wants to hang around with me while I play some jazz trombone solos.

* yes, I changed my mind about Instagram, for those keeping score at home. Seems Facebook will probably be easier, for everyone except me anyway. Link above is to my musician's page so you don't have to friend me to follow along.

I've put you in my calendar! It'll be fun to prepare for DnD while listening to jazz! I've never participated on a Facebook livestream, only Instagram, but it can't be that hard. 

1 hour ago, kais said:

Only four of her known to exist in the world!

:o 

57 minutes ago, shatteredsmooth said:

bought some tea-set off of FB marketplace for under $100 and it for about $1500

:o

3 hours ago, Robinski said:

Wow! So, because I love collecting stuff (stamps; concert tickets; vinyl/music; DVDs; football (soccer) cards; Scalextric cars; beer bottle caps; coins; etc.), what would be the top end for My Little Pony, @kais? On Ebay, I seem to be looking at heading towards $500 for single rare examples. I realise it's not a fair comparison, but what the hey. I'm seeing Breyers up to $1,200/1,300 just on Ebay.

Collecting can be so much fun. I've never heard of Scalextric cars before! And thanks for moving the conversation over here!

1 hour ago, kais said:

@Robinski they aren’t worth quite as much as Breyer horses. The ultra rare Greek and South African ponies can go for $2000+ these days, but I’ve never seen one over $3000

I own one of the most rare My Little Ponies, actually. Only four of her known to exist in the world!

I've got about 30 MLP G3, but they are in *hem* a very well loved state, to put it mildly. My favorites as a child were Pinkie Pie (back when she was shy) and Minty. I would assume from simple worth you collect G1? 

48 minutes ago, shatteredsmooth said:

@Snakenaps I don't collect anything, but my mom, who is an antique dealer (part-time now, used to be full-time) buys and sells collectibles that aren't exactly antiques. She's found some Briar horses that have sold for over $1,000. I think she makes more money off of collectibles than actual antiques. 

Last week she bought some tea-set off of FB marketplace for under $100 and it for about $1500 on ebay. 

I wish I had the knowledge to turn around tea sets like that! 

Breyers and other model horses can go for ridiculous amounts. I spend more time browsing Model Horse Sales Pages than what is probably healthy, even if I don't have the finances/room to grow my collection much. I don't collect nearly as much as I did in high school (now that I have bills to pay :/ ). None of my Breyers are worth over $300, but I've got some very nice models. My favorite is an Alborozo that generally goes for around $250 in his condition, that I purchased for $50 at Breyerfest in 2015. 

Once my roommate moves out, I'm taking all of my 12 giant tubs of Breyers out of storage and making a diorama table, just like I had as a child.  

If I was rich, I would absolutely purchase one of Nicki Button's custom resins. The micro mini's (known by Breyer as Mini Whinnies) at 11:64 scale rarely go for less than $500. Her Traditional 1:9 scale models are usually around $6,000-$8,000.  

This was my childhood room in 2012, when I was a sophomore in high school. The entire top of the bunk bed was a diorama with a barn, truck, trailer, pond, everything. There was also a converted magazine rack to the left that had nothing by Breyers. At this point in my collection, I had about 200 Breyers? 

usbHUf8OzOrAD8pS-ig9Ke8Q-ajyhIZnFCUvW9EYjs6gtLS43XU9zhGeyHFEBC_-rxeaLJRQB0ZyvlIRjcIe5BDsmtRGBlH9bEbr8-DbSzopfSJqe5zTQtxF5eCc-Gp7i_q_EmfFG0GSMTmrLOZaQ4J7_QTQ9F7bti_Za43bdBEQXoYwVsW9skYr9Vk9kiH8ESZASbOK-bshJU4ZS6FIk0Tcmzme8KNICUJSvhN5Wlr30GJfpdc2CpG1QkBkCl-NOm79RbxyfMtd8xXQ_lQlZIWZ4d7ocaeWQgY7gI3ZPwh_d2Cximfg8lDnBsKRTAuYZa_MeUoTrEtOBC2WGSKKKp4Dt1EJOyCoLkLkVXSil7y64Z5D9I-KGvQ8hAOHsKdeWZOAmqeIoqEnzm7UeYt68yhKScrKGEHilXrv1wZBvXBgfMNB4FOiN9p2Ag8PQpx9bJ9mUh7MdIOLxemnPZMmdyfByTu76bFgoWgbGLOA-ufh-Vv0ambMcQza_8flzcGZRtyK5kBJq2zZcqJJVycRacxjkr2lRIyNCXQ_X3GSpsirwZBu5PDyS_9W-ES5FxNCTAwUa_jLbPc8kma0wKcsPCQiQpEJK-8KxhsrM--AE424zejK12PmZg2vzdfz5JfzpezL7lcMQ2Vt24KyIYsjecEa5y9M-92NWSOQk654bNOAAMFrnM6IIMJsVSrNAhJF4h06D0b0nUud-H6-EsgXFbEXDO2k_qiKiakNnHhDxI2O_CjGz5X0_hmM=w1235-h926-no?authuser=0

To say the least, I liked and still like horses...

30 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

I would assume from simple worth you collect G1? 

Yup! My childhood collection has um, grown significantly over time. I was a pretty careful kid, too, so I still have all the original accessories and playsets and stuff. Imagine my surprise when I learned that many countries had their own pony factories, so the variations are functionally endless??

Shown in the photos is my Greek Blue Firefly (she looks green with the weird light), which cost 1500 euros, which was a steal. Only four of her are known to exist in the world, I believe. She is by far my rarest pony.

33 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

This was my childhood room in 2012,

I wish I had a photo of my childhood room! It would have looked a lot like this, but more pastel, and the horses would have been ponies...but still!

Greek Firefly Variant IV.jpeg

1 minute ago, kais said:

Imagine my surprise when I learned that many countries had their own pony factories, so the variations are functionally endless??

From my own Breyer knowledge, this doesn't surprise me a whole lot. What are the most common variations seen between factories? In Breyers, it is usually the amount of shading, but that doesn't work much for MLP, unless you count blush. 

3 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

What are the most common variations seen between factories? In Breyers, it is usually the amount of shading, but that doesn't work much for MLP, unless you count blush. 

All except one factory had the same molds. Technically the Spanish factory had the same mold, too, but it got damaged and someone there repaired it....weirdly, so the Spanish 'piggie' ponies (the mold redo made them look like piglets) are the weirdest.

The most common variations though are in dye color. Every country got to choose its coloring based on what their people liked. So in Greece, the ponies were a lot brighter. They were muted in France. Across South Africa they mixed and matched the body and head molds (aesthetics??). In Argentina the colors were....not what we in the US would consider coordinating, but hey, it worked for them!

And then there's the symbols, which every country seemed to think was a 'hey, let's get creative' moment...

2 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

To say the least, I liked and still like horses...

Ahem, yes. I am completely convinced.

2 hours ago, kais said:

someone there repaired it....weirdly, so the Spanish 'piggie' ponies (the mold redo made them look like piglets) are the weirdest.

:blink:

2 hours ago, kais said:

All except one factory had the same molds. Technically the Spanish factory had the same mold, too, but it got damaged and someone there repaired it....weirdly, so the Spanish 'piggie' ponies (the mold redo made them look like piglets) are the weirdest.

The most common variations though are in dye color. Every country got to choose its coloring based on what their people liked. So in Greece, the ponies were a lot brighter. They were muted in France. Across South Africa they mixed and matched the body and head molds (aesthetics??). In Argentina the colors were....not what we in the US would consider coordinating, but hey, it worked for them!

And then there's the symbols, which every country seemed to think was a 'hey, let's get creative' moment...

This is probably the coolest thing I've learned all week, and I thought that blue corn juice was crazy. 

1 minute ago, kais said:

I’ll assume by ‘crazy’ you mean ‘delicious. 

:lol:

I'll have to take your word on it, as I've never had it! But if I ever get the chance to drink it, know that I shall give a toast to your name, even if the wind is the only one listening. My family is a foodie family. We never say no to trying something new.

(Okay, that is a lie, Mom and I wouldn't try the horse salami in Budapest. My sister said it tasted like greasy pepperoni and I bawled, despite being a sophomore in high school. But I love haggis)

10 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

This was my childhood room in 2012, when I was a sophomore in high school.

That reminds me of my spouse's childhood bedroom, except instead of horses, it was Star Wars lego. A lot of it is still in his childhood room because our house is very small and needed A LOT OF WORK when we bought it. 

36 minutes ago, shatteredsmooth said:

That reminds me of my spouse's childhood bedroom, except instead of horses, it was Star Wars lego. A lot of it is still in his childhood room because our house is very small and needed A LOT OF WORK when we bought it. 

I immediately like your spouse because 1) Star Wars and 2) Legos. 

What's nice about small houses is that you have less to clean!