kais

Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

762 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, lizbusby said:

Well, due to everyone's favorite virus, they just closed the schools in our part of Washington state. I will probably not have time to read people's stuff for a while as I now have to homeschool 4 kids. Anyone else affected? 

I'm a substitute teacher and the schools are preparing to extend spring break on a case-by-case basis. The local college is already extending their spring break by three days and is clearing out one of the dorms to use as a quarantine zone.

Today while I had yard duty, I was watching these kids play tag. Except they weren't playing tag, they were playing Coronavirus. "Tag, you're it! You have the coronavirus!!! Ha ha ha!"

We also had to have a talk about them stealing the hand sanitizer.

Kids are special.

If the schools get shut down, that means no subbing for me, which means, hey, lots of writing time but no income. Oof. 

@lizbusby I was homeschooled 2nd-8th grade, and as a credentialed teacher, I have a lot of lesson plans and resources if you need any. Just shoot me a DM. I'm not familiar with Washington's state standards, but they can't be that different from California's. 

Oh, I've got all the resources prepared. My kids have always been above the curve so I've always prepared for homeschooling in case the school wasn't adequately challenging. So I just updated a few of the things we do during the summer. The problem is the time suck.

8 hours ago, lizbusby said:

Well, due to everyone's favorite virus, they just closed the schools in our part of Washington state. I will probably not have time to read people's stuff for a while as I now have to homeschool 4 kids. Anyone else affected? 

Ooft, good luck, and completely understand!

My son-in-law was going to be flying back to Montana for his grandfather's memorial, but the flight ban (although not applying to the UK), has resulted in the event being postponed. Also, my mother-in-law was due to flying the Scotland for a spell, but had already cancelled on advice of GP in view of her age and medical history.

My university just closed for all classes that CAN be done online. Mine can't so still teaching! Well, still teaching as long as the primary schools stay open. If they close, like @lizbusby, I'll be with my kiddo so not a lot going on other than trying to salvage the house from a kid who really needs more social interaction than just a parent or two.

Yuck. Stay safe everyone. I have a couple cons coming up in March and I'm guessing at this point they may well be rescheduled. My day job so far hasn't made any firm ruling, but I'm going to try to work from home at least one day a week. More, if possible.

My schedule just got virus-ed, too. At least I get union-mandated overtime? 

Hey folks, sorry I'm so tardy with my critiques and my submission. We went onto home working today, so I hope to get on top of things, although also in the process of trying to sell Mother's flat, and just waiting for the day my daughter is told not to come to work (she's in hospitality).

Stay safe, everyone. Take care and stay strong. Let's all sing the Thunder song from Ted, replacing the word 'thunder' with 'COVID', obviously.

17 hours ago, Robinski said:

Hey folks, sorry I'm so tardy with my critiques 

You have my sympathies, as I'm way behind as well. I'm currently housesitting for a family who decided to not cancel their trip to Hawaii. Thanks to the shelter in place going down in California, and a bunch of other things, I've been trying to figure out if I'll be continuing housesitting longer than planned.

Any tips for cheering up a smart, old golden retriever missing his family? I can't take him out to hang out with my friends' dog anymore. He's used to being with an entire classroom of kids all day and he's becoming a wee bit depressed despite our long daily walks. I've never owned a dog and I feel bad for him. I relate too, as I'm missing my own family.

Picture of Steve-O the cat and Duncan the dog for anyone who needs some cheering up.

IMG_20200316_164125_530.jpg

13 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

Steve-O the cat

:lol: 

Aw, poor Duncan!! I've never been a dog owner, but I imagine lots of love is the best medicine?

We took a five mile walk this morning and he gets LOTS of cuddles. I'm hoping enough love and activity will distract him for a few more days.

@Robinski, Steve-O is named after the actual person from a particular series of movies/TV shows. Unlike the real Steve-O, this cat has six toes on each foot and isn't prone to wacky stunts. 

14 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

Steve-O is named after the actual person from a particular series

I presumed that. Made me laugh.

This is just an FYI, in case anyone is interested in the other group that I am a member of, but the Glasgow Science Fiction Writers Circle has put out a charity anthology for which all proceeds (in other words pretty much everything) goes to three charities, two in Scotland and also Medicine Sans Frontiers. I missed the boat on contributing because I had not been on there for a few weeks what with work, and things going haywire, etc. I feel suitably rotten about that, so trying to poke some traffic in that direction. No pressure at all whatsoever though :) 

Take case everyone!

http://flotationdevicebook.co.uk