Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

30 minutes ago, lizbusby said:

Well, due to everyone's favorite virus, they just closed the schools in our part of Washington state. I will probably not have time to read people's stuff for a while as I now have to homeschool 4 kids. Anyone else affected? 

I'm a substitute teacher and the schools are preparing to extend spring break on a case-by-case basis. The local college is already extending their spring break by three days and is clearing out one of the dorms to use as a quarantine zone.

Today while I had yard duty, I was watching these kids play tag. Except they weren't playing tag, they were playing Coronavirus. "Tag, you're it! You have the coronavirus!!! Ha ha ha!"

We also had to have a talk about them stealing the hand sanitizer.

Kids are special.

If the schools get shut down, that means no subbing for me, which means, hey, lots of writing time but no income. Oof. 

@lizbusby I was homeschooled 2nd-8th grade, and as a credentialed teacher, I have a lot of lesson plans and resources if you need any. Just shoot me a DM. I'm not familiar with Washington's state standards, but they can't be that different from California's. 

Oh, I've got all the resources prepared. My kids have always been above the curve so I've always prepared for homeschooling in case the school wasn't adequately challenging. So I just updated a few of the things we do during the summer. The problem is the time suck.

8 hours ago, lizbusby said:

Well, due to everyone's favorite virus, they just closed the schools in our part of Washington state. I will probably not have time to read people's stuff for a while as I now have to homeschool 4 kids. Anyone else affected? 

Ooft, good luck, and completely understand!

My son-in-law was going to be flying back to Montana for his grandfather's memorial, but the flight ban (although not applying to the UK), has resulted in the event being postponed. Also, my mother-in-law was due to flying the Scotland for a spell, but had already cancelled on advice of GP in view of her age and medical history.

My university just closed for all classes that CAN be done online. Mine can't so still teaching! Well, still teaching as long as the primary schools stay open. If they close, like @lizbusby, I'll be with my kiddo so not a lot going on other than trying to salvage the house from a kid who really needs more social interaction than just a parent or two.

Yuck. Stay safe everyone. I have a couple cons coming up in March and I'm guessing at this point they may well be rescheduled. My day job so far hasn't made any firm ruling, but I'm going to try to work from home at least one day a week. More, if possible.

Hey folks, sorry I'm so tardy with my critiques and my submission. We went onto home working today, so I hope to get on top of things, although also in the process of trying to sell Mother's flat, and just waiting for the day my daughter is told not to come to work (she's in hospitality).

Stay safe, everyone. Take care and stay strong. Let's all sing the Thunder song from Ted, replacing the word 'thunder' with 'COVID', obviously.

17 hours ago, Robinski said:

Hey folks, sorry I'm so tardy with my critiques 

You have my sympathies, as I'm way behind as well. I'm currently housesitting for a family who decided to not cancel their trip to Hawaii. Thanks to the shelter in place going down in California, and a bunch of other things, I've been trying to figure out if I'll be continuing housesitting longer than planned.

Any tips for cheering up a smart, old golden retriever missing his family? I can't take him out to hang out with my friends' dog anymore. He's used to being with an entire classroom of kids all day and he's becoming a wee bit depressed despite our long daily walks. I've never owned a dog and I feel bad for him. I relate too, as I'm missing my own family.

Picture of Steve-O the cat and Duncan the dog for anyone who needs some cheering up.

IMG_20200316_164125_530.jpg

We took a five mile walk this morning and he gets LOTS of cuddles. I'm hoping enough love and activity will distract him for a few more days.

@Robinski, Steve-O is named after the actual person from a particular series of movies/TV shows. Unlike the real Steve-O, this cat has six toes on each foot and isn't prone to wacky stunts. 

This is just an FYI, in case anyone is interested in the other group that I am a member of, but the Glasgow Science Fiction Writers Circle has put out a charity anthology for which all proceeds (in other words pretty much everything) goes to three charities, two in Scotland and also Medicine Sans Frontiers. I missed the boat on contributing because I had not been on there for a few weeks what with work, and things going haywire, etc. I feel suitably rotten about that, so trying to poke some traffic in that direction. No pressure at all whatsoever though :) 

Take case everyone!

http://flotationdevicebook.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I've really been trying to learn the publishing industry and how it works, but it is a little overwhelming. Due to this, I have created a Google Doc with organized references to anything involving publishing and writing. It currently covers: The Big Five, Notable Imprints, Other Publishing Companies, Organizations, Conventions, Awards, Magazines and Other News Sources, Podcasts and Other Resources, Contests, and Acronyms. 

I'm going to continually update it as I learn more. I thought it might be useful to others, so I am going to post a link here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y7fORDdp-Txszy0il4SQI1PosOlLaVNQNGq49FjASkQ/edit?usp=sharing 

If you can think of anything I should add, please let me know!

Edited by Snakenaps
Updated what it covers

Wow. That's great. As you say, it's a massive subject.

A section on markets would be particularly useful as you move forward, although, it's probably rather a fruitless task, as there are resources already in that vein, for example Submission Grinder: https://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com

Also, there are small presses that others will be able to tell you more about than I can.

So, so, so much to cover before you even consider expanding it to cover UK entries under similar headings.

Well done, This will be a useful resource for many on here, I am sure :) 

35 minutes ago, Robinski said:

Wow. That's great. As you say, it's a massive subject.

A section on markets would be particularly useful as you move forward, although, it's probably rather a fruitless task, as there are resources already in that vein, for example Submission Grinder: https://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com

Also, there are small presses that others will be able to tell you more about than I can.

So, so, so much to cover before you even consider expanding it to cover UK entries under similar headings.

Well done, This will be a useful resource for many on here, I am sure :) 

Tomorrow I am definitely going to add in "Market Resources," with The Grinder being the first addition. That way I am not tracking the industry myself, but can keep a collection of who is. 

I didn't even consider foreign markets...

In all honesty, this came from me reading Publishers Weekly's newsletters and always forgetting who is a part of the Big Five. I thought I'd make myself a cheat sheet of sorts, of all the things I have heard mentioned. This may be been created out of a fear of looking ignorant about the basics of the industry, which I do not want to happen during the World Fantasy Convention in October. 

Also, I'm a teacher. I believe in educating myself as much as possible, and giving others access to that same information if possible. 

Far be it from me to send anyone in the direction of social media, but... In terms of developing knowledge of the industry, one of the things I find really quite helpful--aside from WE, which was really my introduction to 'industry issues', and going to my first con in August '19, is Twitter. Following writers, and lit agents and editors really does expand ones horizons a fare bit if you find the right ones. I find Anne Tibbets really good to follow. She is no nonsense, and really good at explaining (in short posts) why she didn't pick something up.

7 hours ago, Robinski said:

Far be it from me to send anyone in the direction of social media, but... In terms of developing knowledge of the industry, one of the things I find really quite helpful--aside from WE, which was really my introduction to 'industry issues', and going to my first con in August '19, is Twitter. Following writers, and lit agents and editors really does expand ones horizons a fare bit if you find the right ones. I find Anne Tibbets really good to follow. She is no nonsense, and really good at explaining (in short posts) why she didn't pick something up.

do have a Twitter. Looks like it is time to put it to use!

12 hours ago, Robinski said:

is Twitter. Following writers, and lit agents and editors really does expand ones horizons a fare bit if you find the right ones

I'll second this. You make good connections on Twitter, and can learn a lot about the industry

As far as the spreadsheet goes, @Snakenaps, I wonder if you aren't overthinking it? It doesn't really matter if you know who the big five are or not. You can't get to them without an agent, generally. An agent spreadsheet would be the best use of time, and maybe a small/mid sized press spreadsheet then too, if you don't want to go the agent route. 

I'd say keep it small and digestible. 

1 minute ago, kais said:

I'll second this. You make good connections on Twitter, and can learn a lot about the industry

As far as the spreadsheet goes, @Snakenaps, I wonder if you aren't overthinking it? It doesn't really matter if you know who the big five are or not. You can't get to them without an agent, generally. An agent spreadsheet would be the best use of time, and maybe a small/mid sized press spreadsheet then too, if you don't want to go the agent route. 

I'd say keep it small and digestible. 

Overthinking is what I do best. I literally created a website to keep track of my worldbuilding. It's...both handy, and a definite problem. I thank you for catching me, because I will definitely make a mountain out of a molehill if not slowed. Sometimes I can self regulate, sometimes I need reminders. 

I actually already have an agent spreadsheet started, so I can figure out who I want to begin querying in (hopefully) November. I also may have created a spreadsheet for when I begin querying, on who I have sent stuff to, when, if they replied, and whether it was a rejection or not. Won't lie, I'm trying to turn rejections into a game of Just How Many Will I Get, since I know that there will be a lot incoming. I don't want to get discouraged. No one gets anywhere if they quit. 

I need to learn how to use Twitter correctly. It seems like such an overwhelming amount of information. 

9 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

actually already have an agent spreadsheet started, so I can figure out who I want to begin querying in (hopefully) November.

I'm agented, so let me know if you want to chat about queries, who is good, ratios you should be looking for in responses, etc.

Just now, kais said:

I'm agented, so let me know if you want to chat about queries, who is good, ratios you should be looking for in responses, etc.

I would love that. I'm so new to everything, and I want to do this right. It might take me years to get published, but that doesn't mean I have to start off on the wrong foot. I might be young, but I take writing very seriously. Any advise is worth its weight in gold to me. 

8 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

would love that. I'm so new to everything, and I want to do this right. It might take me years to get published, but that doesn't mean I have to start off on the wrong foot. I might be young, but I take writing very seriously. Any advise is worth its weight in gold to me.

@kais is brimful of good advice. Listening to their sage words is a good strategy!

From what I have seen there are numerous different ways to 'do it right'. I jumped into endorsing your doc because that it exactly the sort of thing I do, and I think you can glean very interesting stuff from that, but as Kais reminds us, it's good to focus on what's valuable now.

Have you listened to this week's Writing Excuses podcast? Wouldn't you know it, it's on the subject to querying!! It's more about how to approach that psychologically than about the mechanics of it, but there are some interesting nuggets, like how Brandon basically avoided querying because he didn't like it. The only non-form rejection he got (of many) was from Joshua Bilmes, who is his agent. Now of course, if Brandon writes out a grocery list, it gets published :lol:  (to paraphrase Mary-Robinette).

11 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

I need to learn how to use Twitter correctly.

Yeah, I find it quite tricking. you tend to stop seeing some folks' tweets if they don't post much, or you don't respond to them much. It does take some managing, and deliberate searching out of things, I think. Some authors and agents will do AMAs from time to time, and it can be really good just reading the Qs and As, even without participating. But you should participate, as it will raise your profile a bit. Also good to follows associations. I'd say include some UK ones too. We are 'divided by a comment language', after all ;)  Joking aside though, it's a readily available market, and a really well established and 'rich' one two, I think, when you look at the heritage of UK SFF. I believe there is no geographic barrier to entering work in competitions run by the British Fantasy Society, the British SF Association, etc. and there are a goodly number of publishers of all scales in the UK, publications and platforms to market to.

Oooh, I love talking about publishing. I bet there is source material on YouTube too, talks by publishers, agents and editors. It just occurred to me as something I should check out. One of the best, absolutely invaluable, aspects of going to WorldCon for me, was going to numerous panels on publishing, including what agents are looking for, talks on contract terms, experience of agents, etc. etc. etc. It was just fascinating. One thing that WE stress every time they talk about publishing is picking the right publisher, agent or editor to approach. Doing the research to know about them as people before approaching them, to not target them, and to ALWAYS treat them as people. I mean, why wouldn't you? but I guess some writers maybe don't see it that way.

I could go on all day.

@Silk, I wonder if we should have a Business of Writing (or Publishing) thread? Or do we just keep all this stuff in Lounge?

8 hours ago, Robinski said:

@Silk, I wonder if we should have a Business of Writing (or Publishing) thread? Or do we just keep all this stuff in Lounge?

I also agree. It would be nice to have a place where myself and others can go back and look for resources. 

@Robinski I'm still catching up on Writing Excuses. I'm at the beginning of season six right now. I'm dusting off my Twitter and have begun following several agents like Janet Reid. I'm also going to continue with the publishing reference booklet I've started, as I find it easier to reference than a collection of bookmarks on my computer that have me wondering, "What was that again?" I'm incredibly forgetful, which is why I end up being so organized. 

I honestly find the publishing industry fascinating, which is why I'm so eager to learn. I get ahead of myself sometimes, but it is so much fun and kinda scary. Like a rollercoaster.