kais

Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

1,114 posts in this topic

Jealous! I would also love to go but I'll likely be in Toronto in August 2020.

@Robinski, @kais, and @Silk, I guess I'll have to have a little ReCon all by myself then! I'm sure there will be lots of pictures. My wife is busy putting together a travel package for the week before, which looks Amazing...

On 11/20/2019 at 5:27 AM, Mandamon said:

My wife is busy putting together a travel package for the week before, which looks Amazing...

I bet. Still super jealous. I'd love to see where you guys go. I'm guessing you're starting in Auckland and working down to Wellington? Make sure you hit Roturua!

5 hours ago, Silk said:

I'm guessing you're starting in Auckland and working down to Wellington? Make sure you hit Roturua!

We're actually planning on doing some of the south island too. Roturua is on the list!

I just made porg pie. Feeling very smug. 

It was supposed to be a Death Star crust but... alas.

IMG_4305.jpeg

IMG_4306.jpeg

On 11/21/2019 at 11:25 AM, Mandamon said:

We're actually planning on doing some of the south island too. Roturua is on the list!

Ooh, very nice. I expect a full report of everywhere you're going!

58 minutes ago, kais said:

I just made porg pie. Feeling very smug. 

PORG PIE OMG

Eh, Porg Pie. Um, don't you skin (pluck?) them first?

18 hours ago, Robinski said:

Eh, Porg Pie. Um, don't you skin (pluck?) them first?

Well, if you wanna be posh about it...

On 11/24/2019 at 2:01 PM, Robinski said:

Um, don't you skin (pluck?) them first?

The nutrients are all in the feathers!

5 hours ago, kais said:

The nutrients are all in the feathers!

Ah, of course they are.

Happy 10-year anniversary of RE!

Woop, woop. Happy ten years RE. I can only muster six (.5), and what a whirlwind that's been :) 

1 hour ago, Silk said:

FYI: Aqueduct Press is now open for submissions, and if anyone can see how long they're actually open for, your eyes are better than mine. Also not sure off the top of my head if they're a pro market, but hey.

They're one of the mid-sized small presses, with a pretty decent rap. I get review copies of their books a lot, and they seem to have some decent distribution.

Just sent out another test email. Hopefully it actually, you know, works this time. 

3 hours ago, Silk said:

Just sent out another test email. Hopefully it actually, you know, works this time

Email received, but it was in my spam folder again. That's probably my weird email provider, though. I need to poke at its whitelist function some more...

Yes, received. In spam folder also.

Received, and not in the spam folder.

Received and not in spam 

@kais had their pie time earlier, now it's time for my pie time! My fatigue issues are going to make this a two- or three-week endeavor, but I got the first batch (of likely three) made today. I feel like I've run a marathon and I hate it, but the pies are looking good at least. 

Solid cylinder of marble as a rolling pin? Yes please.    Not pictured: the requisite MST3K marathon   They're supposed to be used on top of the top crust, but that takes work, y'all 

IMG_20191215_140018.thumb.jpg.514fa66888a8f3d17d127443265251f9.jpg  The surfer is a regular cookie cutter

7 hours ago, industrialistDragon said:

I feel like I've run a marathon and I hate it

Bad Dragon, this is not how you pace yourself. I don't really need to go to work tomorrow, do I? (Second batch done. 1 or 1.5 more remaining... but not tonight. )

IMG_20191215_210903.thumb.jpg.ff9d9d386c636cdc9697378ed9c4bedb.jpg

Those look fantastic. And now I want pie.

38 minutes ago, Silk said:

Those look fantastic. And now I want pie.

Jars go out after pies. ;) (and I have to reassess my box collection for everything anyway.) Probably after xmas, hopefully before newyear.  

They look terrific. Yum.

I apologize to take everyone away from the subject of holiday cooking, but I'd like to direct your attention to what is definitely an overlooked resource on the Internet, and particularly useful to a writing group based around Sci-Fi & Fantasy such as Reading Excuses. (Granted, we invite writers from every topic, but I wouldn't be wrong to say that SF&F is our focus.)

I am referring to World Building Stack Exchange. If you're familiar with the Stack Exchange model, great, if not; it's basically a question-answer website where people interested in a particular subject gather to both ask question and get answers. The original Stack Exchange (Stack Overflow) is programming based, but there are literally dozens of unique Stack Exchanges based on a lot of subjects and hobbies, including World Building. From the help center:

Worldbuilding Stack Exchange is a site for designers, writers, artists, gamers and enthusiasts to get help creating imaginary worlds.

World building includes geography, culture and creatures for the world, not to mention magic and planetary physics, in short, everything from the physics underlying your reality to the entire universe you want to build.

Basically, if you help or a second opinion on any facet of your world, feel free to drop down there and ask your question. Signing up for a profile is quick and easy, and there's no reputation requirement for asking or answering questions. One of my friends pointed it out to me, and it's great. I've used it to ask a few questions to flesh out some of my worlds, and you'd be surprised at the vast amount of knowledge brought to bear by the site's various members. In addition, there's a large amount of backlogged and tagged questions for easy reading if your issue is a common one, and there's almost always an interesting question or three getting answered, so it's a neat place for any writer to hang out on and read up on interesting topics or looking for inspiration. If any of you have technical questions for your world, or want something to be fleshed out, it's as good as a place of any to ask it. Also, given that I've a decently high reputation there, if any of you do ask a question and don't get any good answers, I'd be fine with tossing a small bounty on it if you PM me with the details. (Please don't think that's out of generosity, it's literally to assuage my conscious because I have a horrible on/off critiquing habit on this site.)

Edited by Ookla the Partitioner