kais

Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

662 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, shatteredsmooth said:

Do you find that being on a panel draws more people to your table? Would you table at the same con two years in a row even if you were bringing mostly the same books? 

I have generally found that if the panel is related to your books, being on the panel helps a lot. So like, when I do queer themed panels, sales skyrocket. If it's just science world building, I see no results. 

I would not table at a con twice in a row with no new books. You don't make much at all. And if you didn't earn back cost the first time, I'd scrap the con entirely. Find a bigger one, or wait until you have a few more books. 

I do very well at cons, generally, but there is one in particular I know I will lose money at. I go because I like it, and my friends go, and we have a good time regardless. If that is the reason you want to attend the con, do it! But if you're going to make money, just scrap it. Not worth your time.

Pretty much what @kais said. If the goal is to sell, don't vend at a con proven to lose you money.

Since you're going to be there anyway for a panel, there are some things you could look into. Does the convention have a less-expensive vending area? I've seen some conventions have as many as 3 different tiers of artist/merchant tables for sale, with different table sizes and arrangements in each tier. You might have to put up with a seating lottery or other restrictions, but it might be worth it if the price is right.  Is there an official (or well-used unofficial) chat channel for con attendees? Artists with smaller set-ups (or more money issues) will advertise for table shares or sublets (depending on your con rules). It's not as good as sharing with friends, but random splits can work out and do save money. Is there an art show or charity auction? Donating a book or two, or putting together a small display of your work might be a way to increase your visibility for a relatively nominal expense. 

Or, I mean, you could just go and enjoy the convention. Not everything has to be about that hustle, despite what capitalism wants us to believe. 

It's November 1st and I'm not doing Nano for the first time in... 7 years(?), I feel so liberated :) 

I should add though that it's served me well having written W&S (Pts. 1 & 2), TMM, TCC, WH and TMB in that time (and re-written TMM).

Good old Nano, but time for me to move on. Although, I just had an idea... (No, no. Not doing that :unsure: ).

Edited by Robinski

I finally had some time to work on my doll kit today. I should probably not have done as much in one sitting as I did, but it was hard to stop once I got going. ^^; 

Rather than do the smart thing and turn on a video tutorial to follow, I continued my DS9 100% rewatch and just used my vinyl girls as a rough guide. Instructions? who needs 'em! (Me. I do. *ahem!*) The hip sockets were the easiest to fit together, though the screws were the toughest to install. The rest of the screws behaved, but I think I stripped just about every screw I put in. The tolerances were so tight I couldn't hand-turn any of them and had to use my electric screwdriver (which doesn't come with mini driver heads). Even scraping out the hole and liberally applying grease, getting the upper elbow post into the shoulder assembly was nearly impossible. I have no idea how people managed it without scraping and I'm super glad I drilled the air pressure holes one tutorial mentioned. and of course, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to make my dolls more weird, so I picked up the limited clear shell. I really like how the dark frame looks inside it! This was probably a good four or five hours...

IMG_20191029_105902.thumb.jpg.633b70bc8a383e2c24868fc269dbbddd.jpg   IMG_20191029_113354.thumb.jpg.d5838df37e1339f79cbd6f62b5b4bb54.jpg   IMG_20191101_122621.thumb.jpg.c288fe2104d8aa192bc07ca15a501cb9.jpg   IMG_20191101_131838.thumb.jpg.912038b82cc51ed3c71b616a04cf2efa.jpg  IMG_20191101_141205.thumb.jpg.9f8649f546dfb36d94bea50de9a161cf.jpg  IMG_20191101_142249.thumb.jpg.bd8a84b9e1c1d0e48204182414022b91.jpg   IMG_20191101_150856.thumb.jpg.b0202e635b617dda5c2a79fa5d6adcaf.jpg  IMG_20191101_151158.thumb.jpg.ad8bb3dc0de780ecfbdd348fd117dcb9.jpg

Air pressure holes, cool!

6 hours ago, Robinski said:

Air pressure holes, cool!

I second this!

Also, that is a lot of googly eyes. That clear shell looks cool.

5 minutes ago, Mandamon said:

Also, that is a lot of googly eyes

Costume fun fact: googly eyes make amazing rivets and fake stud earrings for oversized masks and other things like that and take spray paint and opaque markers really well! They're waiting to be spray painted for a day that isn't doggone snowing... 

On 11/1/2019 at 1:33 AM, Robinski said:

Although, I just had an idea... (No, no. Not doing that :unsure: ).

:lol:

Meanwhile, it's solidly November 2nd over here, and I'm still tinkering with these notes and deciding whether I want to do it... :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, Silk said:

:lol:

Meanwhile, it's solidly November 2nd over here, and I'm still tinkering with these notes and deciding whether I want to do it... :rolleyes:

Do it ;)

I am doing NaNoWriMo this year, but instead of starting a new story I decided to try and finish the one I'm already working on. Got 3800 words done so far, and having a blast with it.

On 11/3/2019 at 9:49 AM, Asmodemon said:

Do it ;)

I am doing NaNoWriMo this year, but instead of starting a new story I decided to try and finish the one I'm already working on. Got 3800 words done so far, and having a blast with it.

Yeah, the one time I actually did NaNoWriMo I worked on a story that was already in progress. Totally worth it and I ended up having tons of fun.

We'll see. I have a LOT of work to be done before I could actually start drafting, and all those songs that I should be writing instead are calling my name... and looking very annoyed.

But hey, the last time I did NaNo I did 40k words of it in the last week, so, you know, anything's possible right?

Also who doesn't want to be the person writing an album and a novel at the same time?

Edited by Silk

On 3-11-2019 at 7:13 PM, Silk said:

But hey, the last time I did NaNo I did 40k words of it in the last week, so, you know, anything's possible right?

It is. One year I had to do close to 20K in the last day and I actually managed it. That was a grueling day though, 

47 minutes ago, Asmodemon said:

It is. One year I had to do close to 20K in the last day and I actually managed it. That was a grueling day though, 

That's actually pretty much how I finished NaNo the year I did it, yeah. Something like 24k, and it was pretty much literally a midnight-to-midnight thing. The only thing that made it even possible was by that point, I had a really solid outline.

The fact that I was about ten years younger at the time also helped. :rolleyes:

Edited by Silk