Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

9 hours ago, industrialistDragon said:

Everything is mostly cleaned and I finger-fitted the parts into what I think is the right order.

For some reason these pictures make me think of General Grievous.

Edited by Mandamon

12 hours ago, Mandamon said:

For some reason these pictures make me think of General Grievous.

I can see what you mean!

Interested to see how some of these parts fit together. 

I should catch up with my Falcon updates; I've got some pix in the bag.

Project 75192: Update 19 - Bags No.15, Part 1 - "Capping Off"

These little units have the appearance of hatches, but I'm not so well versed in the minutiae of Millennium Falcom operation that I can remember what their function actually is, but they certainly were satisfying to built and attach.

IMG_0359b1.thumb.JPG.a8201de0979889400da3617d35517f08.JPG  IMG_0360b2.thumb.JPG.ce26e383e225d3a4fef12f67349f224e.JPG  IMG_0362b3.thumb.JPG.694a998c4d7e3d383fbab0d47a502363.JPG  IMG_0363b4.thumb.JPG.c4def495e9619d18e111647fa9d16602.JPG

IMG_0364b5.thumb.JPG.8451069ecf0ad5dc187cbd8850529cad.JPG  IMG_0367b6.thumb.JPG.12d7d28642a22ea9ec33d00853b3f4a2.JPG  IMG_0368b7.thumb.JPG.446de1b6d913eb9976ed17cd57afc3da.JPG  IMG_0373b8.thumb.JPG.b0082f01df1aa731eb9c794844c3b603.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Project 75192: Update 20 - Bags No.15, Part 2 - "Winging It"

More wing coverage as there are still gaps to be covered. This one comes in two sections (4,5,6) that handily slide together (7) to form the whole (8). With a sticker for added battle damage (Oooo). This then just lies in the relevant slot (with no positive connection (9). the cut-out goes around the black circular base (9,12) which I think is the mount for the dish (I'm not looking ahead). Then a small panel is constructed (10) and placed in the remaining gap (11), and you can hardly see the join (12)!

Two more stages to go. I've completed Stage 16 (3 bags), so only the last four bags to actually build. Then what am I going to do? Writing, you say? Yeah, suppose so.

IMG_0376c1.thumb.JPG.b977229a8bb57be83a5eb562a1ef3e50.JPG  IMG_0378c2.thumb.JPG.d6cf6b13e0091ca55a29532b75ab4db7.JPG  IMG_0379c3.thumb.JPG.7e03ee743add13d088401616743cc36e.JPG  IMG_0380c4.thumb.JPG.76b39128d79d2814845a134c552d78a1.JPG

IMG_0382c5.thumb.JPG.7735fdaa16ee73cfff161e0fa953b873.JPG  IMG_0383c6.thumb.JPG.a319afc93b3c5dc3a3eaa29df206b49d.JPG  IMG_0384c7.thumb.JPG.2f72cdee7750d0e2e60ac60f47008b27.JPG  IMG_0385c8.thumb.JPG.bb2d3347750df77b74d6540b136802c6.JPG

IMG_0386c9.thumb.JPG.a5603c2f45a322d60774ce8b7bbfcaa3.JPG  IMG_0389c10.thumb.JPG.5f444bb83105e22d0e06b672a14ea681.JPG  IMG_0392c11.thumb.JPG.e3f607fa79faf8da2092d5ae9a4c9962.JPG  IMG_0394c12.thumb.JPG.9f70ca17df64992d2986b2273fe01aa6.JPG

20 hours ago, Robinski said:

Then what am I going to do? Writing, you say? Yeah, suppose so.

Oh, the horror!

Speaking of which, I've been focusing on getting words down for Seeds book 3, and did a quick calculation yesterday. Turns out I've been writing about 1200 words a day since 10/07, so almost my own little NaNo if I keep it up for another couple weeks!

1 hour ago, Mandamon said:

Oh, the horror!

Speaking of which, I've been focusing on getting words down for Seeds book 3, and did a quick calculation yesterday. Turns out I've been writing about 1200 words a day since 10/07, so almost my own little NaNo if I keep it up for another couple weeks!

That's cool. You're rattling into it, by the sounds of things. I'm definitely not doing Nano this year. I've done my stint and I'm just too busy editing all the stuff I've written, so that's got to be the preferred outcome, I feel :) 

I'm just about finished The House of Shattered Wings on audiobook, then Seeds is up next.

2 hours ago, Mandamon said:

Turns out I've been writing about 1200 words a day since 10/07, so almost my own little NaNo if I keep it up for another couple weeks!

That's amazing!

Sorry I've been MIA, everyone. But back from NY now. Going to catch up on crits and then beta reader edits! SO MANY THINGS. Also just got copy edits back on the dandelion short for the anthology, which comes out early next year, and my next nonfiction book just got through layout. I think 2020 will be very busy!

1 hour ago, kais said:

Sorry I've been MIA, everyone. But back from NY now. Going to catch up on crits and then beta reader edits! SO MANY THINGS. Also just got copy edits back on the dandelion short for the anthology, which comes out early next year, and my next nonfiction book just got through layout. I think 2020 will be very busy!

That's cool. Another step or two closer to being a famous writer! thumbs-up.jpg.f7706e1f53af4d60a1cce60344ad29c9.jpg

3 hours ago, Mandamon said:

I'll have to pick your brain for performance critiques afterward...

You know it. Have we yet found anything that I'm not willing to spout off about after consuming it? (Correct answer is 'No.') :lol: 

5 hours ago, kais said:

Also just got copy edits back on the dandelion short for the anthology, which comes out early next year, and my next nonfiction book just got through layout. I think 2020 will be very busy!

Yay! Looking forward to it.

3 hours ago, Robinski said:

You know it. Have we yet found anything that I'm not willing to spout off about after consuming it? (Correct answer is 'No.') :lol:

I figured ;-)

On 10/25/2019 at 6:54 AM, Robinski said:

I'm definitely not doing Nano this year.

Oof, yeah. Can't believe it's already almost November. Funny thing, I was actually playing around with a "new" (old, but revamped) idea for a novel and the timing means I could do NaNo I suppose, but it's SF so outside my usual fantasy wheelhouse, and research-heavy. Plus I still need to write an album...

On 10/25/2019 at 8:28 AM, kais said:

Also just got copy edits back on the dandelion short for the anthology, which comes out early next year, and my next nonfiction book just got through layout.

Hooray! On the layouts anyway. Maybe you're less happy about the copy edits. :P

3 hours ago, industrialistDragon said:

Pshaw! It doesn't have to be accurate, it just has to sound like it ought to be accurate within the logic of the story. 

lol, fair enough, but in this case I suspect that reasonably well-researched setting will be at least part of the appeal.

Anyway, the research aspect isn't a reason not to do the project, it's just maybe a reason to not get fussed about writing 50k words on it in November.

The fact that I barely have a plot, have no characters yet and it's October 26th may also be colouring my opinion there. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Silk said:

The fact that I barely have a plot, have no characters yet and it's October 26th may also be colouring my opinion there. :rolleyes:

Bah, it's never stopped me before :lol: 

(Although maybe it should have, once or twice :unsure: )

You should go for it. It would be an excuse bot to write the album. Not that I'm suggesting you need or want an excuse :ph34r: 

Edited by Robinski

Lol. I've been writing this present novel long enough now that they have been out and updated the Street View of the area. This is awesome, because there is now much more coverage of the remote and peripheral areas (although 'they' have not aligned it properly with the aerial mapping, which is a tad confusing). Anyway, now I can see places in the frozen north that I was unable to see in Draft #1! Woop, woop!! Including, the Ice Road... :o

5db54caf0009d_ScreenShot2019-10-27at07_51_41.thumb.png.a91f8170dd29500399494bbb5323a530.png 

9 hours ago, Robinski said:

Not that I'm suggesting you need or want an excuse :ph34r: 

I mean, it's still not written, so apparently I don't need one, indeed :rolleyes:

Anyway, we'll see. I've been telling myself I would let myself go back to writing fiction once I was far enough along on an album to start production, but apparently I write at the pace of a glacier in an ice age, so maybe I should just do something else for a while. :P

9 hours ago, Robinski said:

Woop, woop!! Including, the Ice Road...

Yeah, that'll happen...

I am doing NaNoWriMo, and it is going to be chaos and grammatical anarchy because there isn't time for full stops and standard spelling when I have so much to write and so little time. There will be red lines all over my word doc.  :lol:

OK, but seriously, I keep having all these false starts for my Evanstar Chronicles 3 and I know NaNo is really the only way I'm going to make progress on this thing. 

On 10/27/2019 at 3:53 AM, Robinski said:

Including, the Ice Road

That is awesome, but I'm glad I don't live there. Granted, in another month or two, the lake will be frozen and I'll spend three or four months feeling like I'm living in some frozen wasteland. 

2 hours ago, industrialistDragon said:
2 hours ago, Silk said:

Well, I'm still not convinced I can do anything in time for NaNoWriMo, but I just downloaded six articles on extraterrestrial geophysics anyway. JUST IN CASE

Join me in nano-scale NaNo. ;) 45 words in a month! 1.5 words a day! 

nano NaNo is better than no NaNo!! 

So, I have a question for those of you who do cons. Do you find that being on a panel draws more people to your table? Would you table at the same con two years in a row even if you were bringing mostly the same books? 

I'm asking because I was just accepted to panel at a con I tabled at last year. I initially wasn't going to table there again because last year I lost money. The tables themselves aren't super expensive ($70), but then add the con membership for me and whoever is helping, and parking, and it triples. However, if I'm going to be a program participant, I get a free membership. I have to pay for parking whether I get a table or not.

The a table and membership for my spouse would come $120. Last year, at this con, my net sales were about $128.

I'm trying to decide if it is worth it. I've published short stories in few new anthologies since then, but the sequel to my novel probably won't be out yet. It's scheduled for Feb. but I don't have edits yet, so I'm thinking it might get delayed. Last year, I sold more copies of anthologies and zines than I did of my novel. I'm thinking it might be worth it...it would be if I had someone to split a table with, but I don't really know other authors IRL well enough to do that. 

3 hours ago, shatteredsmooth said:

That is awesome, but I'm glad I don't live there. Granted, in another month or two, the lake will be frozen and I'll spend three or four months feeling like I'm living in some frozen wasteland.

It's so cool just tracking along it in Street View.

3 hours ago, shatteredsmooth said:

I am doing NaNoWriMo

Well done. Go for it.

Sorry I can't advise on the Con thing, but if you've got someone to cover your table while you panel, participating seems like a clear win, even before you consider the benefits to general profile.

8 hours ago, shatteredsmooth said:

nano NaNo is better than no NaNo!!

Sounds like something Mork would say...

8 hours ago, shatteredsmooth said:

So, I have a question for those of you who do cons. Do you find that being on a panel draws more people to your table? Would you table at the same con two years in a row even if you were bringing mostly the same books? 

I haven't really found that being on a panel helps book sales at all. There's a strange dissociation between people sitting in a chair thinking "This person knows what they're talking about" and people actually buying your books. I'd also be a bit wary of going to the same con two years in a row with the same books, especially if you didn't make table this year. I've done six cons this year, and none of them were very good. I'm blaming the year (general societal apathy) as I did have a book come out in April, but that's one reason why I want to get Seeds 2 and 3 out before I do many more cons. I've seen people will snap up a series, or at least commit to the first book more often if they know there are others already out.

I'd also be a bit wary of going to the same con two years in a row with the same books, especially if you didn't make table this year.

Good to know. Thank you!

I've done six cons this year, and none of them were very good. I'm blaming the year (general societal apathy) as I did have a book come out in April, but that's one reason why I want to get Seeds 2 and 3 out before I do many more cons. I've seen people will snap up a series, or at least commit to the first book more often if they know there are others already out.

I did three cons and handful of smaller events like author expos and craft fairs. I didn't do very good at any of them. At the last one I did, I think it had something to with placement because I was between two visual arts with very catchy art, and an author with books in the same genre as me, who was not surrounded by visual art work, did very well. 

My spouse keeps talking about bringing art work to some of the comic cons next year (not the one I'm paneling at because those are more literary), and I'm really hoping he actually does, not just to draw more people to the table but also because he's super talented when it comes to drawing and painting, but never really does anything with his work.