Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

Hey so, not a submission exactly, so I'm not posting in the submissions thread, but IF I can get my stuff together I may ask a small favour of whomever is interested this weekend/early this week.

I'm considering applying for something which would require me to submit a recording of an original song for assessment. (It's going to be like a phone recording, because that's the only way I can do "recent" at this point, so nothing glamourous.) There's two pieces I'm considering, but I can only submit one, and would be curious to know how folks react to said songs before I choose one to submit.

So the favour boils down to "listen to these two things, tell me if there's one you like better." Detailed critiques neither necessary nor expected. If nothing else I won't be able to make meaningful changes with the time I have left.

• 3 weeks later...

OMG, this is the most awesome and hilarious thing EVER. I just set up my Mac to vocalise text and it is now reading the first three chapters of my novel (TMM) to me! Suddenly, my android character is my narrator :lol: 

I forget if I asked this before...

I've seen mostly adult stories on this forum, and a few that were YA. Would it be acceptable to send chapters of a middle-grade story?

I haven't actually settled on my next book length WIP, but one of the contenders is middle grade.

Not being able to submit won't stop me from writing it if it's the story that I get most pulled into. I'll just go into it knowing I'll need to look elsewhere for my first round of feedback. 

5 minutes ago, industrialistDragon said:

Well, life kicked me in the teeth but good the last couple weeks, but I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. I'll be playing catchup until the next millennium, probably, but at least I'm trying? Anyway, not dead yet and [Monty Python voice] I'm getting better!

The real question is, can you dance/sing/do the highland fling?

55 minutes ago, industrialistDragon said:

I'll be playing catchup until the next millennium, probably, but at least I'm trying?

Don't go back and read my last few subs. They were rough and I ended up doing some major rewriting after getting feedback.

57 minutes ago, industrialistDragon said:

I'm getting better!

Yay! 

I'm sure it's been suggested before, but why don't we all use Google Docs? Being able to comment directly on the piece would be super helpful, also seeing other people's comments and commenting on those. Just seems like it would streamline things a bit and be helpful. 

3 hours ago, hawkedup said:

I'm sure it's been suggested before, but why don't we all use Google Docs? Being able to comment directly on the piece would be super helpful, also seeing other people's comments and commenting on those. Just seems like it would streamline things a bit and be helpful. 

I haven't been in the group long enough to say if it has been suggested before, but I'd rather not use google docs. When I'm critiquing a piece, I really don't want to see anyone else's comments until I have finished making my own, that way I can be more objective and know I'm not being influenced by the other comments. The way it is set up now, we have a choice about whether or not to read first or look at the comments first. In google docs it would be too much work to not see them. 

38 minutes ago, shatteredsmooth said:

When I'm critiquing a piece, I really don't want to see anyone else's comments until I have finished making my own, that way I can be more objective and know I'm not being influenced by the other comments.

Same.

I'm the same way. 

I'm looking at it now. There used to be a way to hide any comments that were not your own but I'm digging and digging (and Googleing) and can't find that option anymore. Not sure why they would take that option away, but you guys are right. Without that option, it doesn't work.