Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

17 hours ago, Severian4Scadrial said:

So can I just say I love this forum already? I've been getting so much in-depth feedback on my first submission -- especially my problems writing a world filled with horrible bigots -- it's kind of crazy.

We love that you love it! Newbies tend to get scared off when we're not 100% IT'S THE BEST THING EVER. We just want to help and have an awesome community of people who love writing. We're so glad you're here!

3 hours ago, shatteredsmooth said:

Maybe it's time I read it. 

Can confirm excellence. 

21 hours ago, Severian4Scadrial said:

So can I just say I love this forum already? I've been getting so much in-depth feedback on my first submission -- especially my problems writing a world filled with horrible bigots -- it's kind of crazy. 

I'm in the middle of a frantic worldbuilding session which has presently turned to two characters from rival but oddly similar cultures having a really gawdy fashion show-down. One's quite possibly the most powerful woman in the Sporavian League, and the other's this gruff warrior who's slaughtered his way through just about every conflict in the past twenty years; the ambassadors on both sides are face-palming furiously. 

This is a good day. 

Glad to hear it! We do like being helpful.

12 hours ago, Mandamon said:

Awesome! (For authenticity, not for the anxiety). I wanted to make sure I got that part accurate.

The anxiety seemed pretty accurate, but the way Sam described medication made me think "your doctor prescribed you the wrong meds and now you think they're all bad."

The mental block from Rilan reminded me of how alcohol effects me and my anxiety...

32 minutes ago, shatteredsmooth said:

The anxiety seemed pretty accurate, but the way Sam described medication made me think "your doctor prescribed you the wrong meds and now you think they're all bad."

The mental block from Rilan reminded me of how alcohol effects me and my anxiety...

Cool. I'm glad it has some good real-life similarities.

• 5 weeks later...

Sad news about scifi/fantasy author Vonda McIntyre: https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/vondanmcintyre

Vonda McIntyre wrote Dreamsnake, which won the 1979 Hugo, the 1978 Nebula, the 1979 Locus awards, and which I cannot recommend highly enough. It's outstanding. Her most recent novel is Moon and Sun, which will apparently be a movie here soon and which also won a Nebula award. It's historical fantasy and also amazing. She also has a space adventure/first-contact series and has done some official Star Trek and Star Wars books. 

Here's her website: http://www.vondanmcintyre.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Proud to announce that I am now a member of the Glasgow Science Fiction Writers Circle, illustrious members of which include Neil Williamson, Cameron Moffat (first novel recently came out from Angry Robot) and 'absentee member' Amal El-Mohtar. Went to my first meeting yesterday and it was awesome. In-person critique of 'poor' Brian's 4,700 word short story was just fascinating, and he had to sit there and listen (and take notes) on 9 critiques before getting a chance to rebut. Everyone was so invested and enthusiastic, but did not give him an easy ride. They had me the minute someone pointed out there were typos of 'its' versus 'it's' :lol: 

17 minutes ago, Robinski said:

and he had to sit there and listen (and take notes) on 9 critiques before getting a chance to rebut

This sounds amazing. I have an in-person writing group but it is more industry support than critique. Yours sounds truly excellent.

19 minutes ago, kais said:

This sounds amazing. I have an in-person writing group but it is more industry support than critique. Yours sounds truly excellent.

Yeah, right up until I'm the one sitting at the table surrounded by a 'U' shape of faces :unsure: 

On 4/10/2019 at 2:28 PM, Robinski said:

Proud to announce that I am now a member of the Glasgow Science Fiction Writers Circle, illustrious members of which include Neil Williamson, Cameron Moffat (first novel recently came out from Angry Robot) and 'absentee member' Amal El-Mohtar. Went to my first meeting yesterday and it was awesome. In-person critique of 'poor' Brian's 4,700 word short story was just fascinating, and he had to sit there and listen (and take notes) on 9 critiques before getting a chance to rebut. Everyone was so invested and enthusiastic, but did not give him an easy ride. They had me the minute someone pointed out there were typos of 'its' versus 'it's' :lol: 

Congrats, Robinski! Enjoy.

On 4/10/2019 at 3:06 PM, Robinski said:

Yeah, right up until I'm the one sitting at the table surrounded by a 'U' shape of faces :unsure: 

Or... try?

Hey, I'm playing in a showcase of local songwriters on Tuesday! There was an article about it in the paper and everything. Am I a real musician yet?

6 hours ago, Silk said:

Congrats, Robinski! Enjoy. - Thank you :) 

Or... try? - Oh yes, I'll be up there after I get the feel of the group.

Hey, I'm playing in a showcase of local songwriters on Tuesday! There was an article about it in the paper and everything. Am I a real musician yet? - Yes!!! Of course. It's like writing, right? If you write, you're a writer. If you music, you're a musician. End of.

Interesting slice of journalism there, suggesting that the ladies were not 'to the front' in the first place!!

P.S. Maybe you have or maybe you will one day come across Emma Kade in your travels. She and my daughter became friends and hung out a lot when Ash was in Canada for a year. Dunno, suspect maybe not exactly in the same wheelhouse, musically, but still.

Exactly like being a writer! Trying to denote the point at which one becomes a "real" whatever is slightly arbitrary and mostly ridiculous. :)

10 hours ago, Robinski said:

Interesting slice of journalism there, suggesting that the ladies were not 'to the front' in the first place!!

P.S. Maybe you have or maybe you will one day come across Emma Kade in your travels. She and my daughter became friends and hung out a lot when Ash was in Canada for a year. Dunno, suspect maybe not exactly in the same wheelhouse, musically, but still.

There was another article that cropped up locally where Megan, the organizer, talked about putting together a showcase for local singer-songwriters and realizing that she was the only woman performing in a showcase that she herself had organized. Most of the folks who follow the local music scene could probably name some male local artists, but the women who are part of the scene don't even always know who each other are. So yeah, I'd say it's fair to say that women aren't at the forefront of the local music scene unless somebody's deliberately putting us there.

I hadn't heard of Emma Kade, but we're not actually all that far off musically, from what I can tell! Definitely some differences; she seems to be a little more pop-inspired than I am, but we seem to be in the same ballpark.

2 hours ago, Silk said:

I hadn't heard of Emma Kade, but we're not actually all that far off musically, from what I can tell! Definitely some differences; she seems to be a little more pop-inspired than I am, but we seem to be in the same ballpark.

Cool :) 

Suggestions wanted!!

Heya, folks. So, I need a fairly straight up, short boy's name for the second Q_&_M story. I started with Ben, but I actually need that for something else, and can't change the other thing. I'm using Sam as a placeholder, but I'm not entirely happy with that (possible because of Facets!!).

Dan? - Ach, association with WE is strong in that one, although it might be strangely apposite in a twisted way (of course!);

John? - Nope, I've got a Johnny in the story now.

Any suggestions will be thoroughly well considered, and much appreciated :) 

5 hours ago, Robinski said:

I'm using Sam as a placeholder, but I'm not entirely happy with that (possible because of Facets!!).

Lol. I think Dan would actually find using him in a story funny, especially if he gets brutally murdered ;-)

Also: Tom, Henry, Will, Fred?

7 hours ago, Robinski said:

So, I need a fairly straight up, short boy's name for the second Q_&_M story.

Joe, Zac/k, Art, Roy, Butch, Scott, Rob, Bob, Bert, Mike, Kev/in, Carl, Pat, Kim, Bruce...? 

Edit: Dennis, Steve, Randy, Roscoe, Brian, Al, Ed...

Edit 2: Zeke, Joel, Cody, Ted, Brent, Matt, Doug, Jeff, Luke...

Edited by industrialistDragon

17 hours ago, Mandamon said:

Tom, Will

I like Tom

17 hours ago, industrialistDragon said:

Kev/in, Carl

I like Kevin, but it makes me think about 'We Need To Talk About Kevin', and since the character is potentially psychopathic, maybe too close. I like Carl. That speaks of a certain unhingedness to me. Thank you, so many good suggestions!!

1 hour ago, kais said:

Nick, Theo

Ooh, I like these too.

Thanks so much @industrialistDragon, @kais and @Mandamon - very helpful.

18 hours ago, Robinski said:

I like Kevin, but it makes me think about 'We Need To Talk About Kevin', and since the character is potentially psychopathic, maybe too close. I like Carl. That speaks of a certain unhingedness to me. Thank you, so many good suggestions!!

There is a serial killer named Carl in one of my temporarily shelved novels. It's a good name for a psychopath. I might have actually spelt it with a K though. It's been at least a year since I looked at that book.

• 2 weeks later...

I am absolutely chuffed to bits to say that I have just finished the first complete draft of the second Q & M novel (finally!). At 125,000 words it's a rather eye-watering ~40% longer than the first book (at 89,000 words). This was not the plan!! I rather hope I can get back to about 110,000 in the edit. Still, #feelingsatisfied :D 

2 hours ago, Robinski said:

I am absolutely chuffed to bits to say that I have just finished the first complete draft of the second Q & M novel (finally!).

Yay! I expect we'll see this in the submissions soon?