Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

I'm brainstorming hard on this RECon (REcon?) thing. What if we pushed it two years out? Would that give everyone time to save? Where would be the best 'central' location, since we have members flung throughout Europe and the Americas? Brainstorm, people! 

10 hours ago, kais said:

Brainstorm, people!

Personally, having made two 'unscheduled' trips to Canada in the last two years, I'm looking to not cross the pond again in the next few years. There it is, my two-penneth.

Having said this, while I would always big-up the UK, and it may be easier than mainland Europe, travel-wise(?), I'm up for a trip to Europe in some form.

10 hours ago, kais said:

Brainstorm, people! 

I mean, we could just start small with a Discord channel/regular Skype call/Google Hangout or whatever. It took 3 years for my guildies to put together an in-person meetup, and we chatted, like, daily for years beforehand and we still only had about a third of our regular members show up. Another option would be to fold it into another convention, like Worldcon or something. That would at least make it easier to get hotel room discounts and such. 

2 hours ago, industrialistDragon said:

Another option would be to fold it into another convention, like Worldcon or something.

I'm always a fan of WorldCon. 2018 will be in San Jose, California. 2019 will be in Dublin. Easy access for @Robinski, but less for the North America folks.

45 minutes ago, Silk said:

That's not a bad way to start out. I haven't been to a Worldcon yet... Does that mean I haven't accidentally started a new con after all? ;)

Plenty of small and niche fandoms roll their convention into larger ones. iirc, the Dragonriders of Pern convention used to be a programming track in Dragon*Con called Weyrfest. Might still be, but the last time I was at Dragon*Con it was at least 10 years ago so I can't verify. If it happens, you can totes claim Founder privileges for REcon. ;D 

Dublin would be fabulous. I have my doubts about California, personally. We (the good lady and I) had intentions of going on the WRX2017 cruise and ending up at WorldCon in Finland, but I just ran out of time - it's our 25th Anniversary this year, so it wouldn't have been the most appropriate celebration of that, me spending all day with my writing chums!! :D 

6 hours ago, Silk said:

Does that mean I haven't accidentally started a new con after all?

We can still call it REcon wherever it is. It would just be REcon at WorldCon, which seems kind of appropriate in itself.

In other news, I feel like I just 'crushed' the Bechdel Test with the latest chapter of TCC. Others will be the judge, of course. 2,883 words with two female characters dealing with some weighty matters. A man appears for like half a page before disappearing again. I know it needs work, but I just <3 character development!!

Edited by Robinski

4 hours ago, Hobbit said:

Because that's where I studied abroad!

Really? Cool! I studied abroad in Limerick!

So, are we debating WorldCon versus Dublin? Was there something going on in Dublin, or is it just cool?

In writing related news--remember that flash fiction piece I posted for crit in the short fiction thread? It got accepted into the anthology! 

1 hour ago, kais said:

remember that flash fiction piece I posted for crit in the short fiction thread?

At my age, I can't remember what I had for lunch - or if I ate lunch...

1 hour ago, kais said:

It got accepted into the anthology!

Yay!! Go you.

4 hours ago, Mandamon said:

WorldCon 2018 is in Santa Fe. WorldCon 2019 is in Dublin.

Ahh, I see. So it's a 2018 versus 2019. This forum needs a poll option. Let's do it the hard way. Copy paste with an x for your preference.

___ WorldCon 2018 San Jose, California

___ WorldCon 2019 Dublin

___ Both, cause why not?

___ WorldCon 2018 San Jose, California

___ WorldCon 2019 Dublin

_X_ Both, cause why not?

Considering that not everybody may be able to go to one or the other, and that the folks in this crowd are reasonably likely to be interested in going to a WorldCon anway, I am very much in the "why not both" crowd?

I'm not actually sure yet which, if either (or both) I'd be able to go to. I suspect that I could probably make either work okay, but I think I will also have to see where the chips fall financially after my big trip to Australia later this year.

In other news, I'm back from Toronto--ACCSFF was great--and survived doing a show on my first day back yesterday! Thank goodness I took today and tomorrow off...

Minutia of publishing update-- slogging through second round editor edits on ASD. I forgot how many things need fixing in early edits. Send whiskey. 

In other news, I maybe had enamel pins made of everyone's favorite ship...

IMG_0023.JPG