kais

Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

452 posts in this topic

Worth noting that the "Welcome to Reading Excuses" guidelines do address this (this line is kind of a holdover from the group's very early days, but it was a deliberate decision at the time):

This is a group comprised largely of unpublished writers, and largely of science fiction and fantasy writers. Writers of any genre are welcome to join, but if you're writing outside of SFF you may find that we're not the audience you're looking for.

I'm in favour of the "all genres." One, because that way we're not inadvertently excluding genres with which there's a lot of SFF crossover (say, horror or paranormal romance) but also, I am personally a big proponent of critiquing across genres. As an undergraduate I spent a lot of team in creative writing classes where I was one of the few SFF writers, and seeing the variety of works across different genres was a real joy, as well as a good learning experience.

That being said, aeromancer's also quite right. Since we're hosted on a Sanderson fan forum, the bulk of writers we're going to get are inevitably going to be SFF.

On 11/16/2018 at 9:23 AM, Silk said:

'm in favour of the "all genres." One, because that way we're not inadvertently excluding genres with which there's a lot of SFF crossover (say, horror or paranormal romance) but also, I am personally a big proponent of critiquing across genres. As an undergraduate I spent a lot of team in creative writing classes where I was one of the few SFF writers, and seeing the variety of works across different genres was a real joy, as well as a good learning experience.

I just read through the thread for this. I'm open to critiquing any genre because in face to face groups and courses, I did learn a lot from critiquing across genre. Sometimes I got annoying when people complimented my characters and told me it would be better if I got rid of speculative elements and just wrote contemporary, but that's more what happens when you're the only fantasy writer in the room -- not something I'm worried about here.