Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

Worth noting that the "Welcome to Reading Excuses" guidelines do address this (this line is kind of a holdover from the group's very early days, but it was a deliberate decision at the time):

This is a group comprised largely of unpublished writers, and largely of science fiction and fantasy writers. Writers of any genre are welcome to join, but if you're writing outside of SFF you may find that we're not the audience you're looking for.

I'm in favour of the "all genres." One, because that way we're not inadvertently excluding genres with which there's a lot of SFF crossover (say, horror or paranormal romance) but also, I am personally a big proponent of critiquing across genres. As an undergraduate I spent a lot of team in creative writing classes where I was one of the few SFF writers, and seeing the variety of works across different genres was a real joy, as well as a good learning experience.

That being said, aeromancer's also quite right. Since we're hosted on a Sanderson fan forum, the bulk of writers we're going to get are inevitably going to be SFF.

On 11/16/2018 at 9:23 AM, Silk said:

'm in favour of the "all genres." One, because that way we're not inadvertently excluding genres with which there's a lot of SFF crossover (say, horror or paranormal romance) but also, I am personally a big proponent of critiquing across genres. As an undergraduate I spent a lot of team in creative writing classes where I was one of the few SFF writers, and seeing the variety of works across different genres was a real joy, as well as a good learning experience.

I just read through the thread for this. I'm open to critiquing any genre because in face to face groups and courses, I did learn a lot from critiquing across genre. Sometimes I got annoying when people complimented my characters and told me it would be better if I got rid of speculative elements and just wrote contemporary, but that's more what happens when you're the only fantasy writer in the room -- not something I'm worried about here. 

• 1 month later...

Hey folks, hope everyone had a really great Christmas / [insert alternative festival of choice]!

I must apologise for my absence of late. I've been selling my share in the business I've worked for since 1987 (and owned for the last 10 years), and it was been a mad crazy month, with no time for writing. Now, seeing as a I don't have a job anymore(!!), hopefully I'll have a bit more time to contribute, starting with my backlog :) 

Edited by Robinski

On 29/12/2018 at 4:12 AM, kais said:

Are you retired now, or simply a man of leisure??

Ah-ha! I am a man of shadows. I am everything and I am nothing. I move  in the dark spaces between worlds. I see, but am not seen. In other words... I'm a consultant.

On 12/28/2018 at 1:19 PM, Robinski said:

hopefully I'll have a bit more time to contribute, starting with my backlog :) 

I'll be glad to read your stories again! 

If by backlog, you mean reading other people's stories, please don't read my "Life Minus Me" submissions. I've done some major rewriting since I sent them. 

12 hours ago, shatteredsmooth said:

please don't read my "Life Minus Me" submissions. I've done some major rewriting since I sent them

Thanks! There will be submissions. Not in the neat future though, I think. I would be please to read LMM again if you put up the revised version :) 

• 2 weeks later...

This is kind of a public service announcement, but also kind of selfish. I noticed we have quite a few new members, and I have terrible name-personality internal recognition software. So, we have an old thread for that! It's here! If you want to introduce yourselves, or read up on the introductions of old members, that's the way to do it. 

(And the only update to my profile is that my profile picture is no longer Kane.)

That said, I also think we might want to start a specialization thread of some sorts in addition to our introduction thread. In other words, aside from writers, we have some very good resources on this forum as well. Hard science fiction, specifically physics and inorganic matter would be my specialty. If anyone wants some advice on worldbuilding with those elements, I'd be happy to help.

Edited by aeromancer

So heyyyyyy turns out I am eligible for a Campbell award (through the Hugo nomination ballot) this year. Any of you who are voting, I'd love if you would consider J.S. Fields as one of your entries. CAN YOU IMAGINE!?!?

On 1/11/2019 at 5:30 PM, kais said:

So heyyyyyy turns out I am eligible for a Campbell award (through the Hugo nomination ballot) this year. Any of you who are voting, I'd love if you would consider J.S. Fields as one of your entries. CAN YOU IMAGINE!?!?

Yessssss. Will do.

On 1/9/2019 at 11:28 AM, aeromancer said:

This is kind of a public service announcement, but also kind of selfish. I noticed we have quite a few new members, and I have terrible name-personality internal recognition software. So, we have an old thread for that! It's here! If you want to introduce yourselves, or read up on the introductions of old members, that's the way to do it. 

(And the only update to my profile is that my profile picture is no longer Kane.)

That said, I also think we might want to start a specialization thread of some sorts in addition to our introduction thread. In other words, aside from writers, we have some very good resources on this forum as well. Hard science fiction, specifically physics and inorganic matter would be my specialty. If anyone wants some advice on worldbuilding with those elements, I'd be happy to help.

I like this idea. Feel free to start a thread. I may not pin it--we're accumulating quite a few pinned threads as it is, which sort of defeats the purpose--but there's a "resources/links section" somewhere in the guidelines that I'm overdue to update, I could include it there.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:30 PM, kais said:

Oooooh. Good to know. I'm stoked that I can nominate this year!

And now, for the real reason I came here, this important announcement:

Writing is hard. GAH.

I came on here to decide which story to read tonight, because I am way way behind on crits. Instead, I spent at least twenty minutes writing and deleting my post for the new specialization thread. The thread is a fantastic idea, and I am looking forward to seeing what other people post. 

I will catch up on those crits before the week is over. I will.

Edited by shatteredsmooth

Someday I need to write a story inspired by my house...about whoever decided to use trolly break pads and rail switchers as rebar in part of the foundation and put studs about two to three feet apart with no consistent spacing.  How it somehow was still standing 110 years after it's haphazard  construction...

Kids sneak into boarded up, empty lake house (inspired by the condition mine was in before my spouse and I bought it). They find a secret room filled with 1990s toys that come to life at midnight. 

Xena and Gabrielle action figures ride damaged My Little Pony into battle against zombie Barbies, but there is a dangerous enemy lurking outside. The kids have to unite the toys and the house's ghost against the cyanobacteria monster rising out the lake with its army of milfoil. 

Edited by shatteredsmooth

1 hour ago, shatteredsmooth said:

Kids sneak into boarded up, empty lake house (inspired by the condition mine was in before my spouse and I bought it). They find a secret room filled with 1990s toys that come to life at midnight. 

Xena and Gabrielle action figures ride damaged My Little Pony into battle against zombie Barbies, but there is a dangerous enemy lurking outside. The kids have to unite the toys and the house's ghost against the cyanobacteria monster rising out the lake with its army of milfoil. 

Yes, please... oh, wait, this is the plot to Toy Story 4, isn't it? :lol: 

So can I just say I love this forum already? I've been getting so much in-depth feedback on my first submission -- especially my problems writing a world filled with horrible bigots -- it's kind of crazy. 

I'm in the middle of a frantic worldbuilding session which has presently turned to two characters from rival but oddly similar cultures having a really gawdy fashion show-down. One's quite possibly the most powerful woman in the Sporavian League, and the other's this gruff warrior who's slaughtered his way through just about every conflict in the past twenty years; the ambassadors on both sides are face-palming furiously. 

This is a good day.