Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

On 7/25/2018 at 1:03 PM, Silk said:

Personally, I’m wondering if we can get some sort of “unofficial official” event going at Worldcon. A meet-and-greet? A side panel in a custodial closet?

I've been thinking about this, and I thought it might be fun to pitch a panel about (and this is NOT the title, just the idea), being challenged in critique groups.

I think we have a lot of valuable information worth sharing, especially noting the WorldCon standard demographic. RE gets shaken up a bit more now that there are some more diverse voices, and that challenges people to learn more about the world. So a panel about the values of a diverse critique group, and having internal reflection, and how it's not enough to write good stories but write good stories that don't harm marginalized communities, could be awesome. 

3 hours ago, kais said:

I've been thinking about this, and I thought it might be fun to pitch a panel about (and this is NOT the title, just the idea), being challenged in critique groups.

I think we have a lot of valuable information worth sharing, especially noting the WorldCon standard demographic. RE gets shaken up a bit more now that there are some more diverse voices, and that challenges people to learn more about the world. So a panel about the values of a diverse critique group, and having internal reflection, and how it's not enough to write good stories but write good stories that don't harm marginalized communities, could be awesome. 

Awesome idea. I've taken this discussion over to the WC2019 thread >>>>>>>>

11 hours ago, kais said:

I would, too, but somehow I doubt anyone wants plates of fungus mailed to them...

It could have a competition with the lake algae...too see who can creep me out the most?

Thankfully, this year the lake has native filamentous (?) algae and not the toxic blue-green algae (cyanobacteria, which is technically not even algae). 

But wait, can that fungus thing from Third Don rot fiberglass? Because I wouldn't mind them eating some of the boats on my lake, particularly the ones with loud speakers and fireworks. :lol:

13 hours ago, kais said:

I’d been thinking along these lines too! I’ll visit the worldcon thread when I have a chance.

If I win, you can mail me a plate of fungus just so I can say someone did.

3 hours ago, Silk said:

If I win, you can mail me a plate of fungus just so I can say someone did.

16 hours ago, aeromancer said:

I would.

Alright, I stand corrected. Guess I'll offer fungus as a prize!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm constantly puzzled by how little crossover there is between thus esteemed group (that's you lot), and the Writing Excuses thread. Not only that, but there is a whole other world over on Creator's Corner, and again there seems to be very little crossover between the two/three(?). I went over there and critiques the first couple of scenes of Nath's play, because he asked nicely. I think one or two others from RE were linked? Anyway, I made my comments and I had some pretty significant issues, but I was rather surprised by some of the comments on the thread by others, and came to the ultimate conclusion that maybe it's just as well... :unsure: 

Bottom line. You guys are great :) 

On 8/10/2018 at 11:33 AM, Robinski said:

I'm constantly puzzled by how little crossover there is between thus esteemed group (that's you lot)

Thanks for clarifying! I've never been accused of being "esteemed" before. Even by proximity. ;)

There used to be a LOT more crossover between us and the Writing Excuses "community," so to speak (can't remember now if there was an actual dedicated board for it that far back), since our forum literally arose out some of us chattering and making friends in the comments section of the WE podcasts. Some of those members we lost when the forum moved from the more generalized Time Waster's Guide forum to the 17th Shard Sanderson fan forum; others have just generally moved on. A few, like Chaos, are still members of 17th Shard but no longer participating in RE itself. Me, I migrated to 17S specifically because RE was moving there, and just never got into the habit of exploring the rest of the forum. It's really just a time thing for me.

As for the Creators' Corner, I haven't spent much (read: any) time there so I could be speaking completely out of turn, but: my impression has always been that that forum is much more of a for-fun thing, whereas we're more professionally oriented. I hope it's obvious that I don't mean that in a negative way at all; it's just that the priorities over there seem to be more on the fun of making and sharing things, whereas this group more interested in saleability and craft.

Edited by Silk
fixing bad grammar. words are hard.

On 8/10/2018 at 11:33 AM, Robinski said:

Anyway, I made my comments and I had some pretty significant issues, but I was rather surprised by some of the comments on the thread by others, and came to the ultimate conclusion that maybe it's just as well..

As @Silk said, I think the groups want very different things. Here, we're publishing oriented and we've taken a strong line for inclusion and exploring our biases. The other forums seem more like back-pat places, which is also just fine. People go where they are comfortable and for what they want to do.

Plus, we're awesome here. 

Howdy folks, Things finally calmed down around here. Good news is that I have found some good time to write. Bad news I am waking up an hour early to do it. I'll be able read some subs here this week and finally put up some comments again. I do have a question for you though:

What terms are there for accents? I have heard lilt and burr, used for Irish and Scottish respectively, but I can't remember many common descriptors for other accents. Maybe I am not well enough read to have come across it. I thought I would run it by you all.

24 minutes ago, Jorville said:

What terms are there for accents? I have heard lilt and burr, used for Irish and Scottish respectively, but I can't remember many common descriptors for other accents. Maybe I am not well enough read to have come across it. I thought I would run it by you all.

Patois (often refers to low class); cant; brogue (again, perhaps particularly suited for the Gaelic languages); dialect (perhaps more to do with the actual language rather than the accent); inflection (probably more to do with the delivery or style of speaking than the accent).

1 hour ago, Jorville said:

What terms are there for accents?

nasal, flat, sharp, smooth, soft, fast, slow, drawl, rounded, musical, singsong, elongated, brusque, homey, country, urban, thick, thin, back-woods, clipped, muddy, slurred, clear, clean, precise, droll, throat-clearing, choppy, trilled, lilting, breathy, forceful, angry... 

14 hours ago, Jorville said:

Thanks @Robinski and @industrialistDragon 

I was looking for more specific words for specific accents but my wording was someone vague. I have never heard patois is that a more British thing?

Absolutely the best thing you can do is look on Wiki under 'patois'. Much better explanation than I can give. I clicked over there just now and was reminded of the term 'pidgin', which is one that we missed. I always thought of 'pidgin' as an English thing but 'patois' comes from French; so sayeth Wiki.

On 8/15/2018 at 11:16 PM, Robinski said:

Absolutely the best thing you can do is look on Wiki under 'patois'. Much better explanation than I can give. I clicked over there just now and was reminded of the term 'pidgin', which is one that we missed. I always thought of 'pidgin' as an English thing but 'patois' comes from French; so sayeth Wiki.

"Pidgin" refers more to dialect than accent, I believe.

8 hours ago, industrialistDragon said:

Happy 300th post to me! It's not that big of a milestone to some people, but I've usually resumed full-time lurking well before now. So, thanks for being a generally awesome forum everyone! 

Hooray!

13 hours ago, industrialistDragon said:

Happy 300th post to me! It's not that big of a milestone to some people, but I've usually resumed full-time lurking well before now. So, thanks for being a generally awesome forum everyone!

Some people make it easy to be awesome right back ;) Congratulations, and jubilations.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:11 AM, industrialistDragon said:

HOORAY! 

• 3 weeks later...

I was taking a break from writing this morning and doing some wood work -- attempting to clean up / preserve the saw mill boards my spouse and I pulled off of our house when doing to exterior renovations this summer because I want to make a table with them -- and I kept thinking that the main character in @kais' WIP would tell me I was doing everything wrong. :lol: