Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

4 hours ago, kais said:

The books go out to librarians around the country. They read and assess. The best part about being a finalist is that it gets the book exposure to libraries, which is awesome!

That is freakin' fantastic!

Edited by Robinski

To those planning on meeting up at our REcon in Dublin 2019, my wife is starting to look at sightseeing and tours around the same time, and can potentially get group rates (as a travel agent) if we want to join forces. Not sure if we would tour before or after the con.

We can take the discussion to email/DM for details, but I wanted to see who was definitely interested in going. I know @kais and @Robinski are. Who else for REcon 2019??

Also, if you haven't registered yet, prices go up April 3rd! The con will be August 15-19, 2019.

https://dublin2019.com/

@Mandamon you can count me interested, tentatively so; seems to be a lot up in the air for me right now. I was thinking of trying to find a cycling tour and apparently my dad and his fiancée may or may not be going to Europe that year.

Plus I still need to figure out if I'm, y'know, actually going. XD

Edited by Silk

Also up to help with planning, for REcon2019, since I used to live in Ireland! Definitely some places worth visiting more than others. Also, it's damnation and cool, so bring appropriate clothes!

It's a pretty small country, all things considered, so we definitely shouldn't constrain ourselves to just around Dublin. Co. Claire and Co. Galway are amazing. I'll end up going to Limerick and Waterford on my own, because those used to be my haunts, but Claire and Galway are great for tourists. Bunratty Castle is always fun to take people to. I think the Blarney Stone is skippable, but that might be because of how often I went there, drunk, for shenanigans. 

I got invited by one of my cool author friends to do editing! Excited as heck, but it also means that I'm busy again. @Mandamon it's going to be a week minimum before I get to the society doc, so sorry. 

Been thinking about trying to do a video game piece after seeing Ready Player One. The idea would be to juxtapose the character archetypes irl and in the game. Farm boy in game is mentor irl, etc. I'm very familiar with the types of people who play games, so it might help me with my character creation issues. 

1 hour ago, mrwizard70 said:

@Mandamon it's going to be a week minimum before I get to the society doc, so sorry. 

@mrwizard70 no problem. I'm getting some beta feedback now, so if you want to just wait 2-3 weeks, I can probably send you the next draft instead.

1 hour ago, mrwizard70 said:

The idea would be to juxtapose the character archetypes irl and in the game. Farm boy in game is mentor irl, etc. I'm very familiar with the types of people who play games, so it might help me with my character creation issues.

Could be interesting. LitRPG is becoming a more popular genre!

4 hours ago, Mandamon said:

@mrwizard70 no problem. I'm getting some beta feedback now, so if you want to just wait 2-3 weeks, I can probably send you the next draft instead.

Fair enough. I'll do that. 

4 hours ago, Mandamon said:

Could be interesting. LitRPG is becoming a more popular genre!

I'm very interested in the applications of games outside RPG's actually. 

Eternal war like planetside 2 would make for some really interesting commentary on human nature, but that might be getting ahead of myself, and also possibly stepping on toes even if I changed the name since it's the only one like it. 

10 hours ago, mrwizard70 said:

Eternal war like planetside 2 would make for some really interesting commentary on human nature, but that might be getting ahead of myself, and also possibly stepping on toes even if I changed the name since it's the only one like it. 

Interesting. I hadn't heard of Planetside before, but you could totally do it. I think the theme is common enough so that if you changed the names around, you'd be alright. There are enough other FPS that have similarities.

• 2 weeks later...

The kickstarter for my two recent novellas is up and almost 50% funded on the first day! Check out the new cover--I'm very pleased...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spacewizard/mystery-magic-and-adventure-two-dissolutionverse-n

Please spread the link around, if you know someone who might be interested!

9 hours ago, Robinski said:

h, sh1t!!!! Quick, I need to write a novella in two weeks :huh::blink::unsure: 

Lol--I had the same knee-jerk reaction before I told myself that I'd just finished two novellas, and I'm not planning to submit those...

Edited by Mandamon

Apologies for the profanity, I will write out a hundred times 'This is not a toilet, and I am not my character.' It just blew my mind. I thought I was excited about the Angry Robot open door, but Tor?! wowsa. Perhaps it is serendipity that I have just reached the end of Part 1 of TCC, and I have some outline ideas in the form of those other cases that Q and M were considering, although I might go completely new. I have a cunning plan...

• 2 weeks later...