Scriptorian

So, who thinks #3 is the Parshendi stormform?

My other guess is thunderclast based on the 'skeletal' imagery. Which made me realise it's a THUNDERClast ----definitely sound storm related, though we haven't *seen* any evidence of this yet so far as I am aware. Edited by Delightful

"that wall of destruction"

I definitely think that is referring to the stormwall of a highstorm.  The figures moving inside are Parshendi in stormform controlling it.  They are being illuminated by the lightening in the storm.  

I've tried 3 times already.

Once each day when a glimpse failed to materialize at the appointed time.

edit: and I do have emails in my history from tor in 2011, so it worked at one point...

Checked Spam-filter directory (or whatever it is called in English) ?

For those who are not getting the glimpses:

The discussion posts on the Glimpses thread on Tor have had others mention they have not been getting the glimpses.

Suggestions: 

101. Katharine
 Please email [email protected] with any details you can provide about the problem, including when you signed up. We can manually add the email addresses of people who've contacted us, but some people who haven't received their emails are already listed as successfully registered. In those cases, we suggest checking your spam folders, bulk folders, and various tabs (Gmail users may find the emails going into the "social" or "promotions" tabs in their inbox, for example).

Another possibility is that some users may have previously unsubscribed from all Tor.com or Macmillan emails in the past, in which case you should contact the webmaster address with a request to override the unsubscribe. In either case, we'll figure out what's going on and get you added to the list!

Of fires that burned and yet they were gone. Of heat he could feel when others felt not. Of screams his own that nobody heard. Of torture sublime, for life it meant.

This one is easy. Tal thinking with himself that are good be alive and out of damnation =)

Edited by Natans

Sound like a death-quote to me. Or maybe from Taln's POV? Or some other Herald? 

Could be Szeth. Szeth follows his master's orders so he will not cease to exist and so that he will exist in agony ("torture sublime, for life it meant"). Szeth hears screams ("of screams his own that nobody heard").

Could also be Taln or another Herald, or maybe an Unmade, or a death-rattle...

Edited by Moogle

Of fires that burned and yet they were gone. Of heat he could feel when others felt not. Of screams his own that nobody heard. Of torture sublime, for life it meant.

This one is easy. Tal thinking with himself that are good be alive and out of damnation =)

I agree with this one. Seems like our sacrificial Herald having a thought.

Could be Szeth. Szeth follows his master's orders so he will not cease to exist and so that he will exist in agony ("torture sublime, for life it meant"). Szeth hears screams ("of screams his own that nobody heard").

I guess. But the diction sounds a little over-formal for Szeth to me. "torture sublime, for life it meant" sounds like a sentiment Szeth would agree with, but I don't feel like he would use that phrasing to express it. It sounds more like the style of the death rattles to me, or maybe Taln, because we don't really know what his internal monologue sounds like yet.

Moogle, I like the idea of it  being Szeth - I have thought in the past that Szeth's Oath and Stone Shamanism is some warped belief of becoming a Herald, or at least joining the Heralds in Damnation.

Now that we have an idea about his sword I am more inclined to believe this.

I guess. But the diction sounds a little over-formal for Szeth to me. "torture sublime, for life it meant" sounds like a sentiment Szeth would agree with, but I don't feel like he would use that phrasing to express it. It sounds more like the style of the death rattles to me, or maybe Taln, because we don't really know what his internal monologue sounds like yet.

'Torture sublime' makes it sound like the person likes the torture (sadism?). I imagine Szeth will come to like his station in life and become a little bit insane after all the stuff he's been through. I highly doubt Taln would have a thought like that. I think it would be a good death-rattle or epigraph.

Or perhaps it is Szeth just being rather eloquent. The quote seems like the second half of a thought. What's the first part? What is it 'of'?

Also: Szeth regularly speaks with an elevated vocabulary. He's a scholar. Throughout TWoK he mentions that he has been trying to speak in a less refined fashion. He may have given up on that.

Edited by Moogle

This has the ring of an epigraph from the start of a chapter.

Of fires that burned and yet they were gone.

Of heat he could feel when others felt not.

Of screams his own that nobody heard.

Of torture sublime, for life it meant.

I definitely think this is from Taln from his time in damnation. The first three lines could be about him suffering alone in damnation because the others betrayed the oathpact.  

The last line could be that he gladly endures the torture because it means life, not for him, but for everyone else.

Edited by Duskshard

Huh. I guess Taln makes a lot of sense, but this sounds like an epigraph to me. It sounds like a (piece of a) poem.

@Duskshard, you posted more or less my exact thoughts within less than 5 seconds of my own post. We must now become blood brothers.

Edited by Argent

'Torture sublime' makes it sound like the person likes the torture (sadism?). I imagine Szeth will come to like his station in life and become a little bit insane after all the stuff he's been through. I highly doubt Taln would have a thought like that. I think it would be a good death-rattle or epigraph.

Or perhaps it is Szeth just being rather eloquent. The quote seems like the second half of a thought. What's the first part? What is it 'of'?

Also: Szeth regularly speaks with an elevated vocabulary. He's a scholar. Throughout TWoK he mentions that he has been trying to speak in a less refined fashion. He may have given up on that.

I imagine Taln would be a little off, too, after being abandoned by his friends to 4500 years of torture. I read the "torture sublime" bit as a sort of coping mechanism, trying to downplay how awful the torture was by focusing on its purpose: "for life it meant." Although, that's not really very journey before destination, now, is it? Did the Heralds follow the Ideals? It seems like they should, but I don't know...

Edit: spelling

Edited by Terra of Scadrial