Scriptorian

I am not sure that this message is in glyphs.

Since glyphs are words with the first one we get 

Sixty-two days, the glyphs read. Death follows. (or Broken Follows)

compared with 

"Thirty-eight days," Renarin read. "The end of all nations."

If this were glyph words I would expect 

"Thirty-eight days," Renarin read.  "All Nations End"  or just "Nations End" 

Friends, I get the feeling we might be the subject of a psychology experiment here..."How much theorizing can we get these fans to do with the least possible information?"

Also, here is the context, if anyone is curious:

"Well, I think that is a good stopping point," Renarin said, closing the book of bedtime stories.

"But I'm not even tired yet," Adolin whined.

"I already read you 25, which is 10 more than we agreed upon! You can hear more tomorrow night. Goodnight, Adolin."

"Oh, alright. Goodnight, Renarin. Don't forget to leave a chip!"

"Of course," Renarin whispered, leaving a sapphire chip on the nightstand.

(My apologies to any Adolin fans out there...)

Everyone in the room looked at him and Adolin said " You can read!!"

"Yes, I can brother"

"But only women or Ardents are supposed to act in such way"

Renarim, tensed up, he always tensed up when someone maked this kind of comment. He was tired. SO very tired of lying to everyone, to be known was a weak man, and bring shame to his house. When he aren't none of that.

Renarim looked at his brother. in some way Adolin always are a little bit slow, even after so many years he didn't noticed.

"Brother..." he began "You are are only half-right, I'm not an Ardent but still I'm supposed to know how to read"

=)

In homage to the new topic(crazy but i liked) about Renarim gender  =)

Edited by Natans

There is a speculation that the Broken one is referred to Jezrien rather than Odium. So either it can be inferred that death follows or can it also mean that the broken one follows/ Jezrien? Can Jezrien or his conscience at least be a baddie? There is also another speculation that all the Heralds are a corrupted state of their attributes! So is Jezrien corrupted leader/protector ?

She felt and heard the storm approach. The ground shook, the air roared. Bits of leaves swept across her in a chill gust, like scouts before an oncoming army that charged behind, the howling wind its battle cry.

Shallan POV? No matter whose, what is she doing out in a highstorm? Unless it's Syl... That could be great.

We're supposed to assume that the Parshendi have summoned a highstorm here, I think.

I WILL NOT FALL FOR YOUR TRICKS PETER AHLSTROM!

Shallan is clearly just about to use the entire energy of a highstorm to Soulcast Roshar into a marshmallow so that the Voidbringers (who are made of stone and thus are heavy) will sink in. This is the conclusion to the novel, where Shallan singlehandedly saves Roshar from the Desolation.

Edit: Or Jasnah! The plan is so clever it's probably Jasnah's.

Edited by Moogle

She felt and heard the storm approach. The ground shook, the air roared. Bits of leaves swept across her in a chill gust, like scouts before an oncoming army that charged behind, the howling wind its battle cry.

The words sound very much like Eshonai to me, are there any trees/leaves in the Shattered Plains? I don't have my book in front of me, and can't seem to recall ever reading there being any. Could it be that on her journey to make it to the Shattered plains Shallan had to endure high storm with little protection?

I definitely don't think that there are leaves and whatnot on the plains, but who knows how far a Highstorm carries it's 'victims' before depositing them. The PoV likely needs to be someone familiar with war - however - due to the symbolism used.  

Here are the female viewpoint characters that we know of:

Shallan

Jasnah

Eshonai

Rysn

Navani

Lift

If you can think of any more, speak up.

Personally, I think Shallan is unlikely because of the military simile, as has been pointed out. Eshonai is more likely, though Jasnah is a good candidate too.

Rysn... Do we know how much of her interlude we've seen? I think it's very unlikely.

EDIT: Added Navani.

EDIT 2: Added Lift. (Though she's not really in the running. As far as I know, we've seen her entire excerpt.) Danlan is possible, but I don't know of any evidence that she will be a viewpoint character.

Edited by Limelleth

Falcon1823 said:

I originally thought Eshonai as well, but I think if it's her it might have said "battle song" instead of "battle cry"...so my best guess is... Jasnah, but who knows. Gave me chills though.

While I'm not completely sold on this line of reasoning, it is a strike against Eshonai. These teases are driving me crazy!  ^_^

Edit: What about Navani? She had a small viewpoint section, and she has been around war. The leaves are a bit of a mystery though.

Edited by a smart guy

Geranid from the interludes is another female POV, but I doubt it is her unless she is studying the effect highstorms have on spren locked in by measurement...

My bet is for Eshonai. She gets more than one interlude chapter in wor, right?

Edited by Mysty

Geranid from the interludes is another female POV, but I doubt it is her unless she is studying the effect highstorms have on spren locked in by measurement...

My bet is for Eshonai. She gets more than one interlude chapter in wor, right?

I was only listing POV characters from WoR, which we have no indication that Geranid will be in.

I don't think this takes place on the shattered plains. Good catch about the leaves, Kobain! Yes, Sadeas has lumber resources, but his Princedom(?) is in the NW corner of Alethkar, which I think is why it is so expensive. Given the north=warm, south=cold aspect of Roshar (based on the Frostlands and the Reshi Sea), and the fact that lumber is scarce, and that said scarce resource seems to exist in northern/warmer areas, I think it is unlikely that there are trees stormward/east of the shattered plains (in New Natanan). 

Wild speculation: This is from the POV of a Shin, experiencing his first highstorm. The storms are now much stronger because of the impending desolation, and can now cross the mountains into Shinovar. He uses the martial description because soldiers and battle cries are the most foreign and horrifying things he can imagine, thus the only thing appropriate to describe such an event.

My first thought is that this is Eshonai,  It could be Shallan - After she has arrived and been at the Shattered plains,  but I tend to agree that she would not use the scouts simile, even if after spending time on the plains, where she may have picked up terms like battle cry ...

And we can not rule out the Shattered Plains because of leaves.

Syl routinely mimics windblown leaves. "As Kaladin worked, a flurry of small white leaves blew under the wagon and formed into Syl’s figure."

Chapter 6 (Kaladin): 

""No,” she said, smacking the slave she’d been regarding as he shied away from her. “One and a quarter. They can help cut timber for us in the northern forests….”

"The lighteyed woman assigned most of the slaves to forest duty."

Chapter 15 (Dalinar)

"You told him you were increasing what you charge him for wood?”
Sadeas controlled the only large forest in the region. “Doubling it,” Sadeas said.

Chapter 18 (Dalinar) 
"The grey sky grew clotted with dust and leaves blown ahead of the stormwall and the air grew dense with humid anticipation."

[EDIT] Chapter 13 (Kaladin)

The trees Sadeas harvested were concentrated in a forest to the north of the warcamps, but a few strays grew on this plain."

Edited by FollowYourMuse