Scriptorian

As was pointed out, the verb here is interesting. My first assumption is that this is a new glyphs-in-stone, counting down towards the end of our 62 days. Renarin could very legitimately be glyph literate.

But maybe the 38 and the 62 day countdowns don't line up--that would smack of prophecy more than a simple deadline, giving us instead of a sequence of events.

I'm assuming that this is not in, say, the last chapter. It could be, but for the purposes of this argument, it's not. Keep that in mind.

That said, if the 38 days is for the same deadline as the 62, that's 24 days between the beginning chapters and somewhere in the middle. That's not much of a timeline to go with. Regardless, we know that the minimum time over this book is around 30. However, I think we can assume that we will actually get to the deadline. That is (unfortunately) uncertain too, but I think we won't have quite that big of a cliffhanger. So that's around 70 days, rather similar to WoK. I doubt that we will actually get much past that deadline, though. So we have a rough amount of time for WoR. I don't know how that helps, but it's one more piece of information.

Remember, this is based mostly on assumptions. Be very careful when using it.

Edited by Limelleth

First time poster on here, long time lurker.  I have enjoyed quite a few of Brandon's series so far.  One thing that sticks out to me about the "countdown" is that it's never really that straightforward.  I think it's a countdown to Dalinar creating the Radiants, or announcing them publicly or something along those lines.  Which is the beginning of the end, so technically the doomsday clock applies to the countdown still.  I just don't think when the clock strikes zero Voidbringers are going to sprouting up everywhere.  I think it's more Radiant-centric.

This one doesn't give us much, but it certainly makes it seem like the countdown is to the Desolation.  That seems really really sudden.  I almost feel like the book is going to end at the start of the desolation, but I have trouble seeing three books of desolation...  Maybe Dalinar has what's going to happen wrong.

I was wondering in the back of my mind if it was a warning about something else - for example the assassin in white. This does seem to confirm that the countdown is for the beginning of the final desolation.

Szeth could arrive anytime at all, even in chapter 13.

I'm now in the camp that thinks that Cultivation herself is the entity behind countdown messages in stone, and that it is in fact referring to the Desolation.

With 62 days, death follows, it could have been read as a warning, or a threat. Some people had all kinds of interesting ideas of who/how wrote the glyph. Dalinar might have been possessed by Odium or a Voidbringer, or perhaps it was Dalinar's spren, or even Szeth could have perhaps written it.

With this latest "Countdown" message, I think it's safe to assume that it's more of a warning, by someone that can see the future and is trying to reach out and help (Cultivation). We know seeing the future is not of Honor, and I don't see Odium trying to warn Roshar that the desolation is coming, it would be to his benefit for them to not be prepared for it. I also don't think Dalinar will attract a Cultivation spren since to me, he is associated a lot more with Honor, than any attribute of Cultivation. So is Cultivation writing the message herself (in stone) or is she perhaps possessing one of the Kholins, perhaps Renarin himself. If it is a spren, then i don't think it would be Dalinar's spren, but perhaps Renarins, which we know he has one.

Edited by kobain

I think the fact that the verb "read" is used in context with Renarin is the most interesting part of the message. However, Dalinar and Kaladin can also read, though only glyphs. Renarin is most likely only reading glyphs. I bet there will be several writings on the wall like this. Talk about only getting a taste. It's as though I have been promised cake and I just got a sample of the frosting. Very yummy, but not satisfying.

To move past the "read" word choice (which is awesome! and I really hope Renarin can secretly read), "the end of all nations" is also intriguing. I wonder if this relates to Mr. T and his plan to bring down the current structure before building anew. Considering his elimination of key leaders, the end of all nations as currently defined definitely seems to be one of his goals.

What do you think is more likely? Sentences well chosen to be taken out of context, or clear spoilers where you can figure out exactly what's going on? ;)

If it helps you decide: I approved each one.

Would you consider yourself more or less sadistic than Catbert?

What do you think is more likely? Sentences well chosen to be taken out of context, or clear spoilers where you can figure out exactly what's going on? ;)

If it helps you decide: I approved each one.

You want us to understand that we don't really want the whole book spoiled before it is even released? 

Spoilsport!  How can we whine if we know it's done for our own enjoyment?

Peter review:

Pros:

• Accuracy
  • Slight information gain

Cons:

• Ambiguity
  • Slight information gain (no major spoilers)