This Game in a nutshell

Spoiler

I confess that my 5 year old daughter has gotten me hooked on My Little Pony. The show is really entertaining. So anyway, when @Metacognition announced the Cosmetic Role contest during AG3 and announced that the winners would get to pick a few non-Sanderson related games, it got me thinking that we really needed to have a good My Little Pony game. So I suggested it, and @Madagascar gave it the official stamp of approval, and here we are. 

This is meant to be a lighthearted and fun game, in line with the feel of the show. If you know absolutely nothing about My Little Ponies, that's okay. No previous knowledge of My Little Pony is required, we'll fill in the gaps where needed. 

My Little Pony in a nutshell

Spoiler

This is for those of you who know nothing about My Little Pony.

If you want the boring introduction, click here

If you want a much better introduction, go watch a few episodes. You can find them on Netflix, or this site seems to have them without a bunch of annoying ads. The Episodes I specifically recommend watching for this game are, in order:

1. Season 1, Episode 1: Friendship is Magic Part 1
  2. Season 1, Episode 2: Friendship is Magic Part 2
  3. Season 2, Episode 25: A Canterlot Wedding Part 1
  4. Season 2, Episode 26: A Canterlot Wedding Part 2

You can thank me later. ;)

Rules

Game Basics

Spoiler

Cycles last 48 hours

Day and Night cycles are rolled into one, meaning that there will be a lynch each cycle, and eliminator attack each cycle, and etc, all happening at the same time. 

Pretty standard game, with a village team and an eliminator team. 

Factions

Spoiler

Changelings (Eliminators): Despicable shape-shifters that feed off of love and affection. Each cycle they can collectively kidnap (eliminate) one pony. They win once they have kidnapped everypony holding an Element of Harmony.

latest?cb=20160930021131
Citizens of Ponyville (Villagers): All the regular ponies that inhabit Ponyville. They win once they have caught (lynched) all of the Changelings.

Unknown-1.jpeg.bc9071d3e145fe1f9231c5e58171bbb6.jpeg

Pony Types

Spoiler

There are three different types of pony that players can be, and each one comes with a special ability that can be used throughout the entire game. Obviously, these abilities are publicly known.

Earth Pony: You may not have a magical horn or fancy wings, but as an Earth pony you know the value of hard work and are made of tougher stuff than other ponies. The total number of votes cast against you each cycle is reduced by 1, to a minimum of 0.

Unicorn: You have the ability to use magic. Typically this is merely a convenience, letting you do things like levitate small objects or perform tasks too intricate to do by hoof, but you’ve found another use for your magical abilities, like teleporting private notes to your friends. Once per cycle, you can start a single PM group. The PM group may include any number of ponies you wish, and it lasts until the end of the cycle, at which point you can start a new PM group for the next cycle.

Pegasus: You were born to fly. Literally. You are a pony with wings. This lets you do cool things like soaring through the air, walking on clouds, and influencing the weather. Oh, and you can also swoop in, cast a vote, and fly outta there before anypony can catch a glimpse of you. Each cycle you can choose to submit your vote secretly by sending it in a PM to the GM. If you do, your name will not be revealed in the writeup as voting for that pony. You may choose to vote in the thread normally. If you cast a public vote in the thread and a secret vote in a PM to the GM, the public vote takes precedence.

Creating your Pony Character

Spoiler

When signing up to join this game, you must decide upon four things:

1) Your pony’s Name

2) Your pony’s Type (Earth Pony, Unicorn, or Pegasus. Each has a special ability associated with it. See below)

3) Your Cutie Mark, an image on your flank that reflects your name and/or your Cosmetic Role

4) a Cosmetic Role, typically associated with your Cutie Mark.

Don’t worry, if you don’t fill in any of the above the Cutie Mark Crusaders will happily step in and help fill in the blanks for you. ;)

cutie_mark_crusaders___groupshot_1_by_nowego-d4r6od8.png.3fd5509535467d57a4cbd75f24ff7c33.png

Cosmetic Role Challenge

Spoiler

I really enjoyed the Cosmetic Role Contest in AG3, so I’m adding one of my own here. Whoever does the best at fulfilling their Cosmetic Role (players will vote at the end of the game) will get a special treat. After the game is finished, I will personally draw and color the winner’s pony during an epic moment from the game. Good luck, and have fun with it! ;)

Unknown.jpeg.c368f206bc9e09ec7dee2ed03d1738d4.jpeg

A few Examples:

Spoiler

Name: Rarity

Type: Unicorn

Cutie Mark: Blue Diamonds

CR: Fashionista - You love following the latest fashions. In each post, you must describe the outfit you are wearing, and you may not wear the same outfit twice.

Name: Applejack

Type: Earth Pony

Cutie Mark: Red apples

CR: Southern Accent - Y’all find yerself speakin’ in a southern accent in every post, and sure as pigs love wallowin’ in mud, y’all just love throwin’ in country sayin’s every chance ya get.

Name: Rainbow Dash

Type: Pegasus

Cutie Mark: Rainbow-colored lightning bolt

CR: Awesome - You are awesome, and you enjoy making sure everypony knows it. In every post you must tell everypony how awesome you are, or even better, demonstrate it by doing something awesome!

Special Powers

Spoiler

In addition to everypony’s public abilities, there are 6 elements of Harmony in Equestria: Loyalty, Honesty, Generosity, Laughter, Kindness, and Magic, and each one of these comes with a special power. NOTE: At the start of the game, each of these powers is randomly given to one and only one pony, and can only be given to Village Ponies (Being a Changeling is its own special power, although Changelings are able to temporarily gain the Element of Generosity. See below).

Loyalty.png.9fffa6ba7f0f7b34a323cd88d5192abe.png

Loyalty - You are incredible loyal, and would do anything to help a friend in need. Each cycle you can target one pony:  that pony is protected from the kidnap this cycle, BUT if the changelings kidnap you, the pony you protected is kidnapped too. You cannot target yourself, you can target the same pony multiple cycles in a row.

Honesty.png.82042ea4fdfe6668e47f0780b229374f.png

Honesty - You always tell the truth, and have developed a knack for being able to tell if other ponies are telling the truth as well. Each cycle you may select one pony to investigate and determine whether or not they're telling the truth. At the end of the cycle you will be told the target pony’s role and alignment. However, if the GM ever catches you telling a lie (in the thread or in a PM) you lose your power for the rest of the current cycle. Everypony will be told that you lost your power for the cycle, but your identity and the lie you were caught in will not be revealed.

Generosity.png.8a0369d6b664559e535f40ffccb5582a.png

Generosity - You selflessly give anything and everything you have to help out other ponies, even if it is to your own detriment. If nopony else is lynched (whether by a tie vote or no-votes), you selflessly volunteer as tribute offer yourself up as a sacrifice and you are lynched. Additionally, you may give this power away to another pony by PMing the GM. At the end of the cycle in which you do you will lose this power and the recipient pony will gain it. The pony will not be told who gave them the Element of Generosity. If a changeling is given the Element of Generosity, they will automatically give the element to a random pony during the next cycle. The Changeling will not be told who the new recipient is.

Update: (Inactivity filter) if the pony holding the Element of Generosity does not post anything for 3 consecutive cycles, the Element will automatically get passed to a random pony.

Laughter.png.1676719406a020ebdcfa754e13313d5b.png

Laughter - You are so good at telling jokes that you can get somepony laughing uncontrollably for the rest of the day. Each cycle you may target one pony and the next cycle that pony cannot be voted for (it will be announced publicly who was targeted). You can target yourself, but you cannot target the same pony twice in row.

Kindness.png.e03ef68ae944b4cdf938a11a0481c177.png

Kindness - Your random acts of kindness have touched everypony in Ponyville, and in return nopony would ever do something to harm you. If you are lynched, you are not eliminated. Instead, you remain in the game, but you cannot cast votes and you lose your public ability. You may continue to post in the thread and reply to PMs that other unicorns start with you.

Magic.png.b57bec6f553476f4d8e1761cabfb5058.png

Magic - Just as the Element of Magic appears when the other Elements are brought together, it also binds the other Elements together and unlocks their full potential. The first time the Changelings target you the kidnap fails. Any kidnap attempt after that will be treated as normal, and you can still be lynched like any other pony.  Once you are eliminated, all other ponies holding an Element of Harmony lose their power. (Ponies retain their public abilities). 

Order of Actions:

Spoiler

1. Lynch & Changeling Kidnap
    1. Loyalty protection
    2. Magic protection
  2. Generosity pass
  3. All other end of cycle stuff.

EDIT:
Signups will end and the game will begin at:

blu_1495854000.png

Quick Links:

Edited by Alvron

FAQ

Spoiler

Q: If the pony with the Element of Kindness is lynched, does it trigger the Element of Generosity self-sacrifice ability?

A: No.

Q: If the pony holding the Element of Kindness is lynched, do the Changelings still need to kidnap her in order to win?

A: Yes.

Q: If a kidnap attempt fails, will the writeup reveal whether it was the element of Loyalty or Magic that prevented it?

A: No, Loyalty and Magic protections will be indistinguishable in the writeups.

Q: If the pony with the Element of Loyalty protects the pony with the Element of Magic, and the latter is targeted by the Changeling kidnap, which power triggers first?

A: Loyalty triggers before Magic. So in this scenario, the Magic-pony would be saved from the Kidnap by the Loyalty-pony, and would still retain the powers granted by the Element of Magic.

Q: If the Kindness pony is lynched, and then later the Magic pony is eliminated, does the Kindness pony die?

A: No: The Kindness pony remains in the game, but with no special powers. So she is now a regular pony and can vote and use her public power again like normal.  

Q: If the Pony with the Element of Magic is eliminated and all the other ponies lose their powers, doesn't that mean the Changelings automatically win?

A: No, even though the ponies holding Elements of Harmony lose their powers, they are still holding the Elements. The Changelings must still find and eliminate them.

Q: If the Loyalty Pony protects the Magic Pony, and the Loyalty Pony is kidnapped, what happens to the Magic Pony?

A: It counts as a kidnap attempt on the Magic Pony as well, as per normal. So if it was the first attempt the Magic Pony survives. If it was the second attempt then the Magic Pony is eliminated and all other ponies with Elements lose their powers. 

Q: Are PMs limited to only Unicorns?

A: No, anypony may be included in PMs. Only Unicorns can create them though. 

Edited by Herowannabe

Player List

Earth Ponies

1. Defecate Mac (m)@Darkness Ascendant
  2. Schitzo (m) @Jondesu
  3. Razor Shard  (m) @Bridge Boy
  4. Hidden Antler (m)@A Joe in the Bush
  5. Ironpies (m)@Hemalurgic_Headshot
  6. Moneybags (m) @Paranoid King
  7. Jeeves (m) @randuir

Unicorns

1. Straw (m) @Straw
  2. Dusted Rose (f) @Crimsn-Wolf
  3. Bracken (m) @The Flash
  4. Twilight Blossom (f)@DroughtBringer
  5. Seeing Eye (f) @Seonid
  6. Cherry Blossom (f) @Quiver
  7. Weaver (f) @Frozen Mint

Pegasi

1. Prism (f) @BrightnessRadiant
  2. Weirdo (m) @Ornstein
  3. Curiosity (m) @Jedal
  4. Crescent Thunder (m)@Ecthelion III
  5. Silver Wolf (m) @Conatus
  6. Twilight Star (f) @Alvron

Edited by Herowannabe

MLP!!!!!!!!! My respect for you is eternal Hero! :lol:

I am so signing up!!

Details to come!

(Since I'm already a mlp fan..I had already turned myself into a pony in my mind lol ;)...will be revealed soon!)

Edit: okay I got it figured out lol

Name: Prism

Cutie Mark: Painter's Palette with Paintbrush

Cosmetic Role: I want to make the world a more colorful place! In each post I will incorporate the name of a color. For example: This game will take away your blues:P

Mind if i alter my CR a bit...Prism will still be talking about colors ALL the time but she will also be painting pictures of what happens from time to time. (Not literally, but describing what she's painting lol)

Edited by BrightnessRadiant

Eeeeyup

Here I am

Name: Defecate Mac

Cutiemark: A rotten apple core with a worm coiled around it

CR: Speaks in a Missouri Ozarks-like accent and has a passionate hate for apples. When he does speak he is quite articulate, and after a series of events in his life has finally understood that sometimes its better to talk less and listen more.

Edited by Darkness Ascendant

Hero, you're insane. I do mean that in the nicest possible way, of course.  I know nothing of MLP really, but sure, I'll join.

Name: Schitzo

Type: Earth

Cutie Mark: Stethoscope

Cosmetic Role: Hypochondriac. Will constantly be inventing illnesses he believes he has contracted or may contract from others around him, and will mention those in every post.

I'm not really into MLP as much as some of you bronies, but I can't pass up a fun game like this! (Also QF23 just ended so I'm still riding on the high from that one. Go El!)

Name: Razor Shard

Cutie Mark: A black silhouette of a sword with the blade broken off

Cosmetic Role: Not only was Razor Shard the first pony to invent the sword, (an actual weapon) he has also figured out how to use one by strapping it to a harness on his foreleg. Sadly his father was murdered by the same weapon he created, before it was stolen by the murderer. He now works as a blacksmith and keeps his secret hidden while watching for any hints of other ponies with bladed weapons...

Acts kindly but has a core of cold steel in him that emerges when he thinks about his father's death and his awaiting vengeance. Most of his posts will have hidden agendas related to finding the killer.

Has brown eyes, a dark brown coat, and a black mane and tail.

P.S. GM. If you could add something related to the killer in the game, possibly an NPC or something, that he could look for, that would be really cool. Or if one of the eliminators wouldn't mind taking upon them the role of the murderer, that would help with RPing and possibly give you an advantage.

Edited by Bridge Boy
Fixed typo

*Sigh* I hate MLP. But I like SE too much to not play.

Name: Weirdo

"Cutie Mark"<_<: A Jelly bean and Pickle Sandwich

Cosmetic Role: In every Post He will either Eat a Sandwich Or Play the Accordion. 

Sign me up before i regret this.

Name: Hidden Antler

Type: Earth

Cutie Mark: Quiver and Antlers

Cosmetic Role: Hidden Antler works as a Travel guide, and a fletcher. In each Post, he will tell you of another place you can visit, or make another batch of bows and arrows.

591dc64f7231f_HiddenAntler.png.3360815f9e54c8a420897ba211f56736.png

Really Excited for this game Herowannabe. I'm quite excited to see all the bronies coming out of the woodwork. Speaking of which @Quiver you have time for a game?

2 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Hero, you're insane. I do mean that in the nicest possible way, of course.  I know nothing of MLP really, but sure, I'll join.

I never claimed otherwise. ;)

4 hours ago, Seonid said:

Darn it, Hero! I love MLP, but I don't want to be playing this game at the same time as I'm GMing. I'll take a link to the spec doc, if you don't mind.

Come on, you know you want to. I tried to keep this game fairly rules-light so it shouldn't take THAT much effort to play. And maybe if you're lucky (?) you'll get killed off soon and can focus on your LG. Or if worse comes to worse just delay your LG, or make the signup period obscenely long. ;)

2 hours ago, Bridge Boy said:

P.S. GM. If you could add something related to the killer in the game, possibly an NPC or something, that he could look for, that would be really cool. Or if one of the eliminators wouldn't mind taking upon them the role of the murderer, that would help with RPing and possibly give you an advantage.

I think I can work something out there for you. I should note that in keeping with the feel of the TV show I'm not planning on there being anything as gruesome as murders, bloody wounds, violent deaths, and etc (instead, the Eliminators "kidnap" ponies and the lynch victims will be imprisoned and put into a coma-like state. You'll see), but I've got an idea that will work for what you want. 

2 hours ago, Ornstein said:

*Sigh* I hate MLP. But I like SE too much to not play.

Name: Weirdo

"Cutie Mark"<_<: A Jelly bean and Pickle Sandwich

Cosmetic Role: In every Post He will either Eat a Sandwich Or Play the Accordion. 

Sign me up before i regret this.

You say you hate it, but you have no idea how close your character comes to an actual pony that appears in one episode of the show. 

154?cb=20140508203403

19 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

Here's a link to a pony creator. Below is an example pony I made.

ponyWithBackground.png

Oh, that reminds me. "Alicorn" is not a valid choice when creating your pony type, sorry. :P

Thanks for the link @Arraenae. So are you signing up as well?

I think I can work something out there for you. I should note that in keeping with the feel of the TV show I'm not planning on there being anything as gruesome as murders, bloody wounds, violent deaths, and etc (instead, the Eliminators "kidnap" ponies and the lynch victims will be imprisoned and put into a coma-like state. You'll see), but I've got an idea that will work for what you want.

Fine then. <_< I can make it work. It's a stun baton then. Non-lethal and all. Just hurts a lot.

And it wouldn't be violent anyway. Just quick decapitation. Not violent at all.

Thanks though, it means a lot to have a GM willing to improvise on the fly for stuff like that.

1 minute ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

What if I want to sign up as a Red and Black Alicorn with no cutie mark and a troubled past? =P

I'd let you get away without having a cutie mark as long as your Cosmetic Role takes it into account. However, I still have to say no Alicorns, sorry. You could be a Pegasus with a fake horn though (or a Unicorn with fake wings)! :P

1 minute ago, Bridge Boy said:

Fine then. <_< I can make it work. It's a stun baton then. Non-lethal and all. Just hurts a lot.

And it wouldn't be violent anyway. Just quick decapitation. Not violent at all.

Thanks though, it means a lot to have a GM willing to improvise on the fly for stuff like that.

Oh the sword is fine, I was just going to go with something other than a violent murder for your father. ;) I figure a mysterious disappearance (along with the sword) under suspicious circumstances will do the trick. 

2 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

Hero, I'm not sure I want to join yet. It depends on how long this MR is going to take, since my internet access cuts off June 1 or 2.

That does make it tough. :( Cycles are 48 hours so I expect the game will last at least 2 weeks, perhaps longer, depending on how many people sign up. And since it starts on May 27th... :(

Oh the sword is fine, I was just going to go with something other than a violent murder for your father. ;) I figure a mysterious disappearance (along with the sword) under suspicious circumstances will do the trick. 

So I can have the sword... I just can't kill anyone with it? That works for me! A mysterious father disappearance could work as well, now I'm just searching for the "kidnapper" as well as for any news of my father, so a possible other RP option. You're awesome man!

Just now, Herowannabe said:

That does make it tough. :( Cycles are 48 hours so I expect the game will last at least 2 weeks, perhaps longer, depending on how many people sign up. And since it starts on May 27th... :(

Alright, I won't sign up then.

Between now and June 1, I'll be drawing other people's ponies. Please PM me if you want your pony drawn. Descriptions (what the pony looks like, their personality, their history, their cutie mark, etc) would be very helpful.