Harmony's Bands [Era 2]

sprtstr14

I believe the first place the Bands of Mourning are mentioned is towards the back part of Shadows of Self. Wax is about to meet up with Tensoon in the caverns. He is walking through a museum and mentions them. What I was interested in though is he also mentions Harmony's Bands.

"Most were part of the museum, and contained plaques with quotes from the Originators, written in metal. Others contained depictions of the rebuilding of the world, or other relics such as a replica of both Harmony's Bands and the Bands of Mourning."

Are Harmony's Bands something special along the same lines as the Bands of Mourning? It's in the same line as the first mention as the Bands of mourning, so I thought they might have some importance. They could also just be Sazed's braces from Era 1 though. I didn't think Sazed's braces were that special compared to any other feruchemy braces. Anyone heard of anything about these or is it just assumed they aren't significant?

Edited by sprtstr14

We know that Sazed's Rings survived. Not sure 10 Rings would be called "Harmony's Bands" as opposed to .. well.. you know: "Harmony's Rings" but oh well.

Brandon also said that his Rings may show up in later books.

Brandon Sanderson

Speaking of relic-like items, Sazed's rings survived as well. We might see those again.

They probably aren't particularly important as all of the information in Sazed's Coppermind's were transcribed into the "Words of Founding". Also just prior to ascending Sazed dumped the lump sum of his Coppermind's into his mind so even if they survived the Catacendre they would have been empty.

I suspect his Rings and Bands are nothing more than regular Metalminds and their true worth would be historical.

Edited by The Sovereign

not to mention that when the knowledge is retrieved from a coppermind it leaves it (until it is filled back again)

and at the final moments we know that Sazed-sama tapped them and drew the knowledge into his "constantly expanding mind " so it is more than likely that they are completely empty

just plain ol' bracers

You need to keep in mind in Era 2 they would consider anything from the original crew to be holy. If they found a new belt or a shoe that used to belong to them they would probably build a temple. I assumed that Harmony's Bands meant Sazed's metalminds, even empty they would be a huge religious deal. But when taking that WoB into consideration you never know if they could be more significant, especially considering the unanswered questions Secret History and BoM left us about a certain character.

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

It would wouldn't it though Saze would not let it go so far I think.

Sazed seems to be pretty dedicated to free will and allowing the choices of people to matter. He's asked people not to worship him, but he's forbidden nothing. 

He didn't want knowledge of Hemalurgy to carry forward, but he didn't stop Spook from writing his little book. 

I think Sazed is going to let people do what they choose to do and nudge things here and there. 

He's been intervening recently - but recently the issues have been caused by off world interference!

He doesn't really seem interested in intervening in the coming civil war. And he wasn't really involved in BoM, which mainly involved two groups of Scadrians fighting over technology created by another Scadrian. In fact, outside of SoS, he doesn't really intervene.

He did try to get Wax home, but seems to have left things alone once Paalm decided to marry Wax and stay in the roughs. (There is no evidence indicating that Harmony had Lessie be shot; only that Lessie thought he did. If anyone was involved, my guess is the Survivor. It fits him better.)

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2017 at 0:16 PM, The One Who Connects said:

Not sure 10 Rings would be called "Harmony's Bands" as opposed to .. well.. you know: "Harmony's Rings" but oh well.

I'm fairly sure that I'm right in my prior assumption. HoA Chapter 82:

The copperminds, now empty, dropped with his rings to the pile of blue corpses beside the bodies of Vin, Elend, and Ruin's nameless body. Sazed opened his eyes as large as the world itself, drawing in power that latticed all of creation.

His Copperminds fell next to his Rings. His Rings are on the record as having survived, as were Elend and Vin's bodies. That would mean that his Copperminds should have survived too. I'm willing to call Copperminds "bands" of a sort(armbands), so that should explain it pretty well.

Sazed had all sorts of "jewelry" serving as his metalminds. Rings, bracelets, several earrings, eyeglasses, etc.  Despite that, they were still referred to as the "Bands of Harmony" in Era 2 Scadrial.  ("Replicas of the Bands of Mourning and the Bands of Harmony" are on display in the network of caves Harmony made from the supply caverns and the Pits of Hathsin, as seen in SoS) 

• Chaos locked this topic