Im on wheel of time book 6....(is it worth it to get to book 12?)

metaldragon

I am not too familiar with French Fantasy and Fantasy translations in general, but I found it amusing that they use very old and archaic vocabulary to describe clothes, weaponry, buildings etc. It made for a very authentic atmosphere - even if I had to look up every other word.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My feelings, which are solely my own & not at all meant to disrespect those of others:

I got through books 1-4 OK, was frustrated during book 5, & had to force myself through the grinding agony that was book 6, at which point I hated all the characters so much that I wanted them all to die. The only one I really liked was Hopper - Brandon inscribed my copy of AMoL with a Hopper reference. :)

So I abandoned the attempt after book 6 & headed straight for Leigh Butler's online synopses (supplemented by the online WoT Encyclopedia) for all the rest up until Brandon's books.

I made up intentionally wrong pronunciations of the characters' names, & saying them in my head as I read gave me some fiendish pleasure - especially "Edge-weenie," who was one of my least favorites.

I don't feel bad about using this process, since the only reason I started reading WoT at all was because I wanted to read everything that BS writes.

What I would not do is just jump in with book 12, or jump straight from the early books to book 12 - if you don't read the interim books, I recommend at least reading through the synopses. Otherwise you'll be totally lost in The Gathering Storm ... without an umbrella, as it were. ;)

Edited by old aggie