Kelsier and Marsh's Noble House?

orangesrhyme

So, we have the Noble Houses of many of the main characters in the series. Vin was a Tekiel, Breeze was a Ladrian, Elend, well... But what of Kell and Marsh? We know they were born to a high nobleman and his resourceful mistress, and that after being discovered, they'd probably ditch their father's name... But still, do we know what their names would be? Or is that being kept as a juicy secret for the end of Era 2?

House Tekiel has claimed Vin as one of their own and tried to use that to their advantage in Era 2. Given the fame that The Survivor still has, I have no doubt that whichever house he belonged to(if it still existed) would be all over that, and/or try getting in good favor with the Survivorist Church.

Since we don't see that happening, and there isn't a mention of his Noble Blood in the Church, I don't think anyone except for The Survivor and Ironeyes know their noble parentage anymore. Thus I believe that Brandon is holding that secret from both us and Scadrial at large.

One of the Western ones most likely, due to the blond hair.

Kell and Marsh weren't exactly discovered - Kell thinks about how they had a choice between noble or Skaa. Which is very, very interesting, as it requires their father to have died right after their mother... I think Brandon is hiding a lot here...

There is a WoB related to this from Reddit. Thanks @Pagerunner! With that said, it doesn't really answer the question all that much.

Question: Is there any noble house in Elendel that plays up their relationship to Kelsier and Marsh?

Answer:They tend to leave Kelsier/Marsh alone and focus on the other crew members. Getting authority from Kelsier is kind of presumed, a little like the Catholic church using Peter as its line of authority, rather than Christ--because the Christ part is assumed.

Edited by The Sovereign

It wouldn't surprise me if it was secretly that jerk, Gemmel (the guy who trained Kell), and that Gemmel used to be lot more sane before well...things went down and they killed his (unbeknownst to him) skaa mistress causing him to snap. Probably not though, but it is a more reasonable suggestion than Hoid, Ruin, or Rashek. Just because a guy (Gemmel,) claims to be a half-skaa doesn't mean that he's telling to the truth, and Gemmel is old enough for this to be a possiblity...

1 hour ago, Kandra-in-disguise said:

It wouldn't surprise me if it was secretly that jerk, Gemmel (the guy who trained Kell), and that Gemmel used to be lot more sane before well...things went down and they killed his (unbeknownst to him) skaa mistress causing him to snap. Probably not though, but it is a more reasonable suggestion than Hoid, Ruin, or Rashek. Just because a guy (Gemmel,) claims to be a half-skaa doesn't mean that he's telling to the truth, and Gemmel is old enough for this to be a possiblity...

That would be possible, but unlikely. For one Kelsier would have recognized him, and in the best case dug his heels in, in the worst case probably killed him. For another, when teaching Vin, Kelsier says he has only seen 2 skaa mistborns, (including him, but not including Vin), which would leave a 3rd unaccounted for if Gemmel was a noble instead of a skaa.

• 1 year later...

I have a pet theory that Kelsier's father kills his mother (after discovering that she was Skaa) leading Kel to kill his father. There's no real textual evidence for it, but for me provides a good basis for why Kel hates Nobles so much despite being raised as one. Also provides a situation where no one alive would know they're half Skaa except for Kel & Marsh, giving the option to continue the lie

• Chaos locked this topic