Is Trell a Shard?

TheDoomsday

Title.

Is he a shard? I haven't heard of other gods besides Adonalsium, and the Coppermind says nothing on the topic. I don't know what his intent would be. I have this random feeling that he's some kind of manifestation of Odium, and if he isn't a shard he could be a Splinter or Sliver of Odium.

Thoughts?

The metal that Paalm used is from a Shard we knew in 2015 (which is all we know now, excluding Ambition). That's a strong implication that Trell is a Shard we know of (although there are some other schools of thought, like Trell being a powerful worldhopper using pieces of Dominion he brought from Sel.)

The best case I see right now isn't actually Odium, but Autonomy. Compare these quotes:

Q: Can you give me any information about Trell?

A: Trell has been many things over the eons...

Source.

Bavadin has several male personas, and has often appeared as male for one purpose or another, so it's not that much of an issue. She has more female personas, but some of the male ones are quite popular.

This won't be relevant for a long while, but as a service to the community, let me say this: try not to get too hung up on gender, race, or even human appearance where Bavadin is concerned. There are some peoples who worship entire pantheons where every member is actually her.

Source.

That, combined with Khriss's revelation in Arcanum Unbounded that Autonomy interferes worlds other than Taldain, seems to point very strongly to Autonomy being behind Trell.

7 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

The metal that Paalm used is from a Shard we knew in 2015 (which is all we know now, excluding Ambition). That's a strong implication that Trell is a Shard we know of (although there are some other schools of thought, like Trell being a powerful worldhopper using pieces of Dominion he brought from Sel.)

The best case I see right now isn't actually Odium, but Autonomy. Compare these quotes:

Source.

Source.

That, combined with Khriss's revelation in Arcanum Unbounded that Autonomy interferes worlds other than Taldain, seems to point very strongly to Autonomy being behind Trell.

That actually makes a lot of sense... I don't know much of Autonomy, having not read White Sand (I don't really like graphic novels), but those quotes seem to point it towards Autonomy. I had another look at the Coppermind and there was a mention of Gods before Adonalsium, maybe that has something to do with it.

PS: here's hoping Brandon releases a novel version of White Sand sometime in the future, I loved the extract of the 1999 novel in Arcanum Unbounded.

3 minutes ago, TheDoomsday said:

That actually makes a lot of sense... I don't know much of Autonomy, having not read White Sand (I don't really like graphic novels), but those quotes seem to point it towards Autonomy. I had another look at the Coppermind and there was a mention of Gods before Adonalsium, maybe that has something to do with it.

PS: here's hoping Brandon releases a novel version of White Sand sometime in the future, I loved the extract of the 1999 novel in Arcanum Unbounded.

If you sign up for his newsletter, you will get a link to download the entire unpublished manuscript. (Check to make sure it doesn't get sent to your spam folder; for some reason, that happens a lot.)

• Chaos locked this topic