Would you rather be a mistborn, a surgebinder or a full shardbearer?

Zmaray

I personally would not hesitate to become a full shardbearer, the shardplate granting all the physical abilities allomancy would and the shardblade being able to destroy anything in my path.

Edited by Gladius Deus

Far more in the way of a Mistborn (although a full Feruchemist would be cooler.) It gives you cool powers that are not just physical, I mean soothing and rioting alone could sell me on it above the other two.

It'd make my like so much easier.

6 minutes ago, Gladius Deus said:

I personally would not hesitate to become a full shardbearer, the shardplate granting all the physical abilities allomancy would and the shardblade being able to destroy anything in my path.

Shardbearer doesn't have enhanced senses and you can't poop on your own :D

But i would be a surgebinder, preferably skybreaker or windrunner

42 minutes ago, King Cole said:

But i would be a surgebinder, preferably skybreaker or windrunner

I agree. What I think is kind of funny is how Mistborn and surgebinders are similar. Mistborn rely on metals for their powers, and - mostly referencing Kelsier and Vin - their main sources of Pushing and Pulling are boxings. Without the metal they can't do anything, and without the coins handy, they have to rely on whatever metal might be in their area. Surgebinders rely on stormlight for their power (unless your Lift) and Stormlight is most easily accessible from the spheres, which is the Rosharan currency. If they run out of spheres, then they could possible pull some from a highstorm, which is what Vin did, straight from the mists.

I really like the idea of being able to "fly" through the sky, walk on walls, etc. But being an Edgedancer sounds pretty amazing too, to slide on anything. And if was like Lift, I could eat all the food I wanted without worrying about calories.

3 minutes ago, ryshadium90 said:

I agree. What I think is kind of funny is how Mistborn and surgebinders are similar. Mistborn rely on metals for their powers, and - mostly referencing Kelsier and Vin - their main sources of Pushing and Pulling are boxings. Without the metal they can't do anything, and without the coins handy, they have to rely on whatever metal might be in their area. Surgebinders rely on stormlight for their power (unless your Lift) and Stormlight is most easily accessible from the spheres, which is the Rosharan currency. If they run out of spheres, then they could possible pull some from a highstorm, which is what Vin did, straight from the mists.

I really like the idea of being able to "fly" through the sky, walk on walls, etc. But being an Edgedancer sounds pretty amazing too, to slide on anything. And if was like Lift, I could eat all the food I wanted without worrying about calories.

That's what I love about Brandon Sanderson, People don't have an undefinable amount of power but is rather based on their reserves and based on their ingenuity in using those reserves

Just now, King Cole said:

That's what I love about Brandon Sanderson, People don't have an undefinable amount of power but is rather based on their reserves and based on their ingenuity in using those reserves

Yep. I not really sure where, but he said that one of his three rules of writing was to make sure there were very distinct stumbling blocks to the powers, as it makes the climaxes/conflicts more real, which both forces the writer to be more creative and solve things in a more human way, and the readers completely astounded that the characters/author could do it. 

35 minutes ago, ryshadium90 said:

Stormlight is most easily accessible from the spheres, which is the Rosharan currency.

I'm assuming coins are the currency of Scadrial, so would be as accessible to mistborn as spheres are to surgebinders.

Definitely mistborn. You would have access to more powers, especially when you factor in the god-metal alloys, and wouldn't have the limitations from being a surge binder. 

With a full shard bearer, while shard plate might be useful, I can't really think of any real everyday use for a shard blade. 

38 minutes ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

Definitely mistborn. You would have access to more powers, especially when you factor in the god-metal alloys, and wouldn't have the limitations from being a surge binder. 

With a full shard bearer, while shard plate might be useful, I can't really think of any real everyday use for a shard blade. 

True, but if you become a Shardbearer, you get a spren friend. And as for the uses of a shardblade...https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/cf/4d/d4/cf4dd4f850fe2ef9392961a8e7081235.jpg Well, that's if you can get the blade to not cut everything it comes into contact with.

9 minutes ago, ryshadium90 said:

True, but if you become a Shardbearer, you get a spren friend. And as for the uses of a shardblade...https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/cf/4d/d4/cf4dd4f850fe2ef9392961a8e7081235.jpg Well, that's if you can get the blade to not cut everything it comes into contact with.

I assumed that a full shard bearer would have dead shards, since there was a separate option for surge binder.

Depends on how easily accessible Stormlight is. Because then... then I see you being some sort of Superman with the Windrunner powers. Flying, simulated superstrength with lashing, instahealing and near immortality. Only if you metabolize it like Lift does.

Otherwise I would take Mistborn for sure. It's far more versatile and accessibly, because I live near a city where there is an incredibly high amount of metal nearby. Rioting and Soothing are useful, and unlike Surgebinding, you are not bound by any oaths. You don't have to be a good guy. You can be Batman. Depending on what level of Mistborn you are, you could be a real powerhouse. (Is anyone else thinking a Dishonored type thing going on?)

I'd probably choose Mistborn. Mainly because I don't know what the other two do, a son I haven't read Stormlight yet (been meaning to though, and I have the books-just not the time). Also, being a full Allomancer would be awesome. Imagine being able to use atium and a time bubble (cadmium or bendalloy) at the same time.

Wait...do we have a WoB about what would happen in this case?

Upvote for you, since you spawned such an awesome question. And here, have a cookie!

1 hour ago, Jedal said:

Otherwise I would take Mistborn for sure. It's far more versatile and accessibly,

and unlike Surgebinding, you are not bound by any oaths. You don't have to be a good guy.

But we don't even know what the other orders of the KR can do. There may be speculations, but one of the orders might have that same versatility. And who ever said that Szeth was a good guy?

If there's atium, no contest

QUESTION

Which of your characters do you think would win in a fight?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Uh … at what stage in their career?

QUESTION

Not the Slivers.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Okay, so they don't count, the Shards of Adonalsium don't count … does Kelsier have atium?

QUESTION

Yes.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Then … a Mistborn burning atium is really hard to beat in any other way.

QUESTION

So you think that Kelsier would beat Vin?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Oh, Kelsier would beat Vin if he had atium and she didn't. If they both did? Vin has more raw talent, Kelsier has more experience. So if you can pick Vin after she has more experience she will give him a fair fight, otherwise, not.

If not, probably still mistborn anyway 

BRANDON SANDERSON

First question: It's always hard to answer these questions, since there are so many factors. Do the combatants start at a distance? If so, Marsh/Zane have a huge advantage; they have the ability to fling coins.

Does Szeth have metal on him? Szeth's Shardblade would be mostly immune to Pushing and Pulling, as it's an Invested object. But he'd still have trouble getting to them if he had a clasp on his shoes, for example. He doesn't carry a lot of metal, but he might have some.

Overall, I'd say that a full-blown Mistborn would be tougher than Szeth in most cases.

And even without those WoBs, mistborn coz of sheer versatility. 

I'm assuming basically unlimited access to stormlight/metals. If limited, for sure mistborn coz you can take metals with you and get more far more easily that stormlight. Full shardbearer is inconsequential compared to either

37 minutes ago, ryshadium90 said:

But we don't even know what the other orders of the KR can do. There may be speculations, but one of the orders might have that same versatility. And who ever said that Szeth was a good guy?

I'm talking about in modern life. As a Mistborn in the city, you would be infinitely more powerful than a Surgebinder, unless they also had infinite stormlight. Mistborn can control the metal around them, literally cut the Surgebinder to shreds infinite times if they have enough metal ingested. Soothe him to the point where he's numb to everything, or Riot him to the point where he goes insane. Use atium to literally beat him before he can even move. Stop time, start it again, rip all the metal particles from within his body. Fly, and spear him with metal. Infinite reserves equals an inability to lose. The ethical component is unimportant in a fight. Even with a shardblade Radiants can still die.

32 minutes ago, Jedal said:

Even with a shardblade Radiants can still die.

So can Mistborn.

If a Mistborn were in a city with infinite reserves, than the Surgebinder would as well have infinite Stormlight. Take Kaladin for example. One of the great things about the Radiants is that they are not just given powers and become oh so powerful, but they had qualities before hand that already boosted their powers forward. Vin, as Mistborn, I still love her to death, only knew things that a street urchin would know, such as to survive, same as Kelsier. Perhaps that is what sets the two series apart. That powers on Scadrial choose those who have more the talent of mind/will, while on Roshar, Knights Radiant are chosen because they have a certain characteristic that completely sets them apart from the rest: Shallan's art, Kaladin's spearmanship. Okay, that doesn't make sense in words, but it sure made in sense in my head.

Anyway, back to Kaladin, for the Rioting/Soothing, I almost feel like that wouldn't work on a KR. In Kaladin's darkest times, he almost to succumbed to a lot of the pressure that had built up around him, but Syl was always there to help pull him out of it. The spren itself can take the guise of many things. A spear in Kaladin's case, a sword in others, or even a fork. They can even take on a sense of a shield. When Kaladin was in the highstorm, he had visions of Syl standing over him protecting him from deathspren. As for the ripping metal out his body, the only person known to do that was the Lord Ruler and he was both Mistborn and Feruchemist, unless you count Vin when she was in all her "misty" glory at the end of the third book, but then that wouldn't be under fair leveled circumstances. Kaladin specifically can fly, and can change a direction as easily as a Mistborn and also has the advantage of making himself lighter which is only a Feruchemist ability. And using Steelpushing or Ironpulling? Kaladin could just as easily do what he did with the Parshendi and preform a Reverse Lashing. 

But I'm gonna give you an upvote for all you've said: you've really made me fight for this side and even more respect Mistborn.

13 minutes ago, ryshadium90 said:

Anyway, back to Kaladin, for the Rioting/Soothing, I almost feel like that wouldn't work on a KR. In Kaladin's darkest times, he almost to succumbed to a lot of the pressure that had built up around him, but Syl was always there to help pull him out of it. The spren itself can take the guise of many things. A spear in Kaladin's case, a sword in others, or even a fork. They can even take on a sense of a shield. When Kaladin was in the highstorm, he had visions of Syl standing over him protecting him from deathspren. As for the ripping metal out his body, the only person known to do that was the Lord Ruler and he was both Mistborn and Feruchemist, unless you count Vin when she was in all her "misty" glory at the end of the third book, but then that wouldn't be under fair leveled circumstances. Kaladin specifically can fly, and can change a direction as easily as a Mistborn and also has the advantage of making himself lighter which is only a Feruchemist ability. And using Steelpushing or Ironpulling? Kaladin could just as easily do what he did with the Parshendi and preform a Reverse Lashing. 

I will fight you until the ends of the earth. Also, enjoy an upvote. There's no concrete evidence that Kaladin would be able to withstand infinite Soothing. He's someone who naturally suffers from depression, but this isn't the same thing. It's not feeling bad, it's not feeling at all. He just...wouldn't. He'd feel perfect calm, be totally unmotivated, drop his guard...

This plus the temporal metals make Mistborn pretty difficult to beat. He loses concentration for a second... That second is extended infinitely... Infinite preparation, and boom, no more Kal!

13 minutes ago, Jedal said:

He's someone who naturally suffers from depression, but this isn't the same thing. It's not feeling bad, it's not feeling at all. He just...wouldn't. He'd feel perfect calm, be totally unmotivated, drop his guard...

This plus the temporal metals make Mistborn pretty difficult to beat. He loses concentration for a second... That second is extended infinitely... Infinite preparation, and boom, no more Kal!

But since it's Kaladin, wouldn't that not feeling be a good thing for him? Not having to worry about any of the ten thousand worries of his brain? But he wouldn't be unmotivated because he's already lost Syl once which was like losing a part of himself. That kind of experience would guard you against the mental metals. Vin has been able to withstand powerful soothings. Albeit, Kliss and Straff weren't but, personally, I think it's because they were already so tunnel visioned that they only had one main emotion to wipe out. And if we're talking about KRs in general, if said KR was of an order like Jasnah with the surge of transportation, one could easily go to Shadesmar and then back. Hard to catch a hopping knight.

37 minutes ago, ryshadium90 said:

But since it's Kaladin, wouldn't that not feeling be a good thing for him? Not having to worry about any of the ten thousand worries of his brain? But he wouldn't be unmotivated because he's already lost Syl once which was like losing a part of himself. That kind of experience would guard you against the mental metals. Vin has been able to withstand powerful soothings. Albeit, Kliss and Straff weren't but, personally, I think it's because they were already so tunnel visioned that they only had one main emotion to wipe out. And if we're talking about KRs in general, if said KR was of an order like Jasnah with the surge of transportation, one could easily go to Shadesmar and then back. Hard to catch a hopping knight.

Vin has the benefit of copper, which can help her out if she can't ignore it. Besides, if they were to use Durlanium, the metal would likely move with enough force and speed to ignore a majority of the Reverse Lashing effect. In the case of a knight with transportation, we don't know how quickly they can hop between dimensions. The only time we've physically seen someone use this power was with Jasnah at the end, and it did not look particularly zippy.

12 hours ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

I assumed that a full shard bearer would have dead shards, since there was a separate option for surge binder.

You are completely right! (Plus as far as I know we still don't know how Radiants get their shardplate??? I've seen theories about it being a manifestation of their spiritweb in the physical realm or something but...does anyone know for sure? Besides Brandon (and Hoid, probably?!))

6 hours ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

Besides, if they were to use Durlanium, the metal would likely move with enough force and speed to ignore a majority of the Reverse Lashing effect.

(Not to be mean but I think it's duralumin.)

And to answer the question, Mistborn. If a full feruchemist or a fullborn is not an option then Mistborn, certainly.

11 hours ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

Besides, if they were to use Durlanium, the metal would likely move with enough force and speed to ignore a majority of the Reverse Lashing effect. 

That depends on how many Lashings there are on the object. There doesn't have to be only one.