Possible Random Theory on the ever elusive HOID

Buschy

I have finally read through the entirety of the COSMERE and like most other people, I am stuck on HOID.  We know that Adonalsium was the original holder/vessel for the 16 shards.  How the individuals splintered Adonalsium seems to be a huge mystery.  Is it even possible that HOID was somehow created by Adonalsium or his vessel (which his memory is gone for some reason) in some form or fashion to look out for humanity and try to bring balance to the shards when the were taken up?  The reason behind this thought is because HOID never wants to hurt anyone and he loves a great story and asks the deepest of questions.  He his collecting investiture for what reason?  Doing that just to take on Odium makes no sense.  One would assume that the other shards could take him on as a team if need be but for one reason or another, the other shards don't or aren't inclined to.  And what is the purpose of the world hoppers?  They are tracking down information and HOID for some reason but that is all I know.  We know HOID is important.  So my guess to the reasoning is above.  Please let me know what you think.

Hoid was born (in the natural method I believe, not directly made by a Shard) before Adonalsium was Shattered. He was there when it happened, and was even offered a Shard by Leras(I think) So I would say probably not to your question.

20 minutes ago, Buschy said:

He his collecting investiture for what reason?  Doing that just to take on Odium makes no sense.

We currently have no real clues to his motivations and goals. We know he's collecting Investiture, but we can only guess why. He has a Fortune-esque power that lets him know where and when he needs to be, though not always why he needs to be there, so his decision to not run from Odium is definitely important in some way.

One would assume that the other shards could take him on as a team if need be but for one reason or another, the other shards don't or aren't inclined to.

Odium is afraid of Harmony for the exact reason. However, Odium is not above working with other Shards either as long as he gives the orders, so even Harmony could have his work cut out for him.

The biggest issue is that the Shards would have to physically rip themselves away from the planets they are Invested in, separating them from a portion of their power(along with probable mental repercussions) in order to team up with any speed. Up till Honor trapped him, that's something Odium was very careful to avoid happening to himself so he wouldn't be weakened.

And what is the purpose of the world hoppers?  They are tracking down information and HOID for some reason but that is all I know. 

The Worldhoppers in the Purelake Interlude chapter are members of the in-world Seventeenth Shard, a group that is tracking Hoid for unknown reasons, and has a policy on non-intervention(at least, the fellow in charge of them does)

All that said, Welcome to the Shard, and congrats on your first theory!

Edited by The One Who Connects
1,200 Posts :)

Just now, Oversleep said:

Source?

My source is a half-remembered comment by someone in another Hoid topic. I'll search through them for it (Not likes there's too many) and edit it in.

Editing in an @Name will still notify someone right? (I'm under the impression it doesn't since the post is already posted, but we'll see.)

Q: Hoid was once offered a Shard, but he refused it, right?
A: Yes.
Q: Was it right after the Shattering?
A: Yes. It was during the events. I wouldn't necessarily say "right after", it was during this process. I would say this is a RAFO before I finish writing at that time. (Not sure if I understood the last sentence right, but I think that's what he said)
Q: And who took this Shard instead?
A: That's a RAFO.

Source.

12 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Thanks. I combed through theoryland at the end of February/beginning of March so that explains it.

By the way, is there a way to see only WoBs that were added to Theoryland after certain date? That way I could update my Hoid WoB database easily.

While HOID is of natural birth, it doesn't mean that Adonalsium had no involvement and direction in this.  While I am not a religious person, It could follow the precepts of Christianity to a certain degree.  i.e. Jesus.  (I am taking into account certain accounts from history with the bible and more specifically, the Jefferson Bible)  Jesus did god's work and never claimed to be the son of God but was part of him all along type of thing.

I don't think my theory is likely but there isn't anything that prohibits it with what we know now.

5 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Thanks. I combed through theoryland at the end of February/beginning of March so that explains it.

By the way, is there a way to see only WoBs that were added to Theoryland after certain date? That way I could update my Hoid WoB database easily.

Not in Theoryland yet, unfortunately. I'm sure it's on their to-do list; nothing since the end of the Arcanum Unbounded tour has been put in. (That's the four Europe signings, a Provo signing, a BYU event, and two cons, Boksone and Ad Astra [although we're still waiting on recordings of the latter]. And, of course, the Reddit AMA that's still getting pinged every once in a while.)

Theoryland is an aggregator. If you're aggregating on your own (like I do), my best suggestion is to stay atop the Events and Signings forum and add stuff to your database as things get reported. If you just want to check every so often for what new stuff has been added to Theoryland, there's no way to apply date filters to Theoryland. You could check what new interviews have come up since your last visit, but you wouldn't be able to combine that with tags.

• Chaos locked this topic