Jedal

Heralds and the Oathpact

7 posts in this topic

So, I was discussing with several people on the Cosmere Discord, and I came up with a question about the Oathpact. I wanted to ask the wise members of the Shard what they thought.

 

Do you consider Heralds to be an integral part of the Oathpact? Or is it more based upon the Honorblades? Is it both?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that the Heralds are an integral part.

Relevant WoB:

QUESTION ()

How many parties were there to the original Oathpact?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The Heralds and Honor. They thought that by walking away from their oaths, that it would break the Oathpact. They're going to find out that it's not quite as broken as they had previously thought (meaning the Heralds).

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in my opinion, the honorblades are more a tool to be used in Desolations than an integral part of the oathpact. The heralds' surgebindings are fueled directly by honor through their blades, which likely has a large soul-expanding effect on them, helping in the fight. I do think that the oathpact relies on heralds being present, possibly as a sort of hostage situation, but I don't think it relies on those specific heralds, but rather any 10 willing persons.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that the Honorblades are only tools given to the Heralds to fulfill their role. I think the oathpact was between Honor, and the ten Heralds, and that each blade was given to them both to grant them powers, and to be a symbol of their oath. 

I believe that when they walked away from the blades and betrayed their oaths, they failed to undo the oathpact. If they die, they return to Braize. Their still functionally immortal. The part of the pact that requires their presence is still functional, they are simply failing to uphold their end of things and everyone else is going to pay for it.

I think that the Heralds can't simply step away from the oathpact. Their bonds with Honor and each other, are sustaining it. Unless they find a way to transfer that bond to another they are perpetually trapped by the oath they've chosen to deny. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jedal said:

So, I was discussing with several people on the Cosmere Discord, and I came up with a question about the Oathpact. I wanted to ask the wise members of the Shard what they thought.

 

Do you consider Heralds to be an integral part of the Oathpact? Or is it more based upon the Honorblades? Is it both?

It's very clearly tied to the Heralds and the their was still one who remained bound by the Oathpact Talenel Elin

Quote

The burdens of nine become mine. Why must I carry the madness of them all? Oh, Almighty, release me. 

 
Light grows so distant. The storm never stops. I am broken, and all around me have died. I weep for the end of all things. He has won. Oh, he has beaten us.
 

These are Taln's messages through Death Rattles, and the oathpact continued until he broke, which allowed the void spren to return I believe.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

It's very clearly tied to the Heralds and the their was still one who remained bound by the Oathpact Talenel Elin

Quote

But the idea is that they broke the oath by laying down their weapons and walking away, while Taln was dead. Was the act of dropping the Honorblades enough, or was their another component?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jedal said:

But the idea is that they broke the oath by laying down their weapons and walking away, while Taln was dead. Was the act of dropping the Honorblades enough, or was their another component?

Upvote! They broke the oath by abandoning Taln and not going back to braise, not abandoning their weapons.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.