10 hours ago, randuir said:

Droughtbringer, stop saying things I'd been planning on saying!

On that matter, what's up with this marrying everyone is talking about. I can't find anything about it in the rules.

Anyway, there is one point of advice I'd like to share with regards to the vote manipulation powers. I've often seen the advice given to use those powers on an inconsequential vote C1 or C2. However, I'd recommend not announcing yourself that way, and instead only using the power when you believe its needed. It is my experience that for the elims, knowing how many vote manip powers are out there is the first step to knowing who they are, and knowing who they are is the first step to getting them killed, or manipulating them to vote the way you want.

@Bridge Boy. Could you tell me how exactly your faction indicator in the GM PM was spelled, as well as the colour? Maybe it's just me, but I get suspicious when someone tries to say "Don't worry, I'm a villager" as his first post in the game.

Anyway, I might try to RP a bit later, but I haven't read Alcatraz yet, so we'll see how that goes.

No copy/pasting from the GM PM is allowed. Please don't go against the spirit of that rule.

4 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Putting this in blue because it represent my out of game opinion, unrelated to my role/alignment for this game, but I feel that asking someone to refer specific information from their GM PM like this is on the edges of breaking the spirit of the game. We could ask the same thing of everyone, trying to find someone who slips up by not posting the exact phrasing that is used in someone else's GM PM but that doesn't sound particularly fun to me. @Bridge Boy I for one would not hold it against you in the slightest if you chose to simply say "in an effort to keep to the spirit of the games, I chose not to reveal that information."  

That being said, I also have no problem with anybody suspecting or lynching Bridgeboy based on what he has posted so far or what he chooses to post in the future. It IS rather suspicious behavior. ;)

Herb noticed the shocked look on the face of the girl sitting quietly in the corner with a laptop on her lap. "Ah, I see you have been mislead by librarian propaganda, my dear. You see, while the librarians make a habit of stealing the bones of my cousin dinosaurs, inflating them to outrageous proportions, and then burying them in the ground as a means of misdirection and spreading false knowledge, in the case of my noble species they have chosen to do just the opposite. They shrink the bones of Micropachycephalosaurs to tiny sizes and try to make us out as being a small, unthreatening species. I can assure you that we are quite threatening and dangerous, and I am actually on the smaller side for one of my species. In short, the reputation that the Librarians have given to other dinosaurs as being large, vicious meat-eating machines? Well we Micropachycephalosaurs actually deserve that reputation."

Herb licked his lips and turned to Orlok, still gripped in his claws.

Herb blinked, looking between Jack and Orlok. Orlok was certainly squirming about and trying his best to participate in the conversation below, but he hadn't actually acknowledged that he was about to be eaten. There was none of the normal screaming and flailing that usually accompanied such an event.

"Right-o, sorry about that chap!" Herb said, setting Orlok gently on the ground. 

Herb looked around for someone else to eat. His gaze fell on Shem Smedry (Seonid), quietly working in a corner by himself. He looked quite tasty.

Please read Hero's BlueText.

56 minutes ago, _Stick_ said:

--Okay, got a little time to post--

So the villagers most probably wont marry this cycle, right? Because we don't want to risk marrying an elim. So whoever does marry this cycle, I'd be pretty confident of their elim...ness. As evil Smedrys would want to share their abilities with their teammates as soon as possible.

@A Joe in the Bush how will marriages be announced? Like will it name the players or just a general announcement stating that a marriage took place? I probably missed it in the rules. Though I suspect it's the latter -specifying the players' name would make this easy :-P 

Am I correct in assuming there are 4 elims? Also, I didn't know they have a one-time use conversion power until I reread the rules just now >> 

Marriages will be hard to miss, and identites of players will be announced.

Okay, important things first (RE: Hero and Joe rightfully disagreeing with my request of Bridgeboy earlier):

A bunch of people where angry with Rand, and he couldn’t exactly fault them. Sure, he hadn’t actually broken any rules, but he’d definitely gone against their intent, which was almost as bad. So now he could either hope they’d all just forget about it, and that they didn’t decide to kick him out of town, or he could apologize. Rand didn’t want to get kicked out.

“Hey everyone.” He was pretty sure he could hear some crickets chirping in the background. Awkward. “I’d just like to say I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have been following the squirrel around to try and fin where it kept its mail. Sure, the rules about not reading others mail probably don’t really apply to animals, but it was wrong anyway. I promise not to break the rules, or the spirit of the rules again.”

“So, you know, please don’t kick me out of town? There are strange places and adventure and ruined cities full of treasure out there, and I’d much rather stay safely here.” He hoped that had done the trick.

So, now that I've RP'd a public apology my tuition shouldn't increase this cycle, right?

I've done a quick reread of Bridge boy's posts, but I still can't really figure out how a villager could have made the mistake he did. It would have required him to not just accidentally put in the name of the elim faction, but he also made clear that he had to look up the name of the village faction somewhere, which means that the name of the elim faction was somehow far more clear in his mind than the name of the village faction, which just seems really odd if he'd been told he was a villager. So I won't be moving my vote of him. Apologies to him if he proves to be a villager after all.

Also, @A Joe in the Bush, is it mentioned when a conversion happens?

This is probably my last post of the cycle, so assuming that conversion is mentioned, here are some thoughts.The first reason for a conversion would be to recruit a certain Smedry talent. This would probably happen later in the game, as the elims will probably need some time to figure this out (unless they get lucky).

The second reason would be if they want to recruit a certain person/ non rules-based talent to their team(For example, Seonid's talent for late-game analysis). In that case I'd expect the conversion to happen pretty early.

So in conclusion, if they convert this cycle or the next, we should probably keep an eye on the more high-profile and/or experienced players, while if it happens later, you should maybe take a another look at that guy who claimed to be a bad dancer, or who was really ugly, or the guy that constantly trips over his own shoes (or any of the other talents).

2 hours ago, Seonid said:

why would eliminators be much more likely to marry than villagers?

I said that's more likely to happen this cycle. Because we wouldnt want to marry an elim and give them useful powers

edit: wait this isnt very clear is it. What I'm trying to say is that Smedry villagers arent likely to marry this cycle

Edited by _Stick_
clarification of my point

At this point, the only way Bridge Boy is not getting the only lynch is if multiple Smedries coordinate...and that is highly unlikely unless they are Hushlanders.  Hence, I will close off that possibility by voting for Bridge Boy.

I find it rather suspicious that Orlok, who had already accrued a vote, would stand up for Bridge Boy's--the leading candidate's--suspicious behavior.

This likely isn't going to change anything, but just putting it out there.

Edit: Magestar

Edited by Ecthelion III

Okay so i scanned the thread and i can't find anything really that suspicious other than bridge boy's posts...hmmm..it could have been a mistake but it could have been an Elim making a mistake..i can't decide

So is it better for us to wait to get married? to be honest i feel like the people without talents would want to get married asap so they can actually contribute more to the game...and the people with talents would want to wait to be cautious...hmmm contradiction

Just now, BrightnessRadiant said:

Okay so i scanned the thread and i can't find anything really that suspicious other than bridge boy's posts...hmmm..it could have been a mistake but it could have been an Elim making a mistake..i can't decide

So is it better for us to wait to get married? to be honest i feel like the people without talents would want to get married asap so they can actually contribute more to the game...and the people with talents would want to wait to be cautious...hmmm contradiction

Not all contribution is done through special roles.

2 hours ago, randuir said:

Okay, important things first (RE: Hero and Joe rightfully disagreeing with my request of Bridgeboy earlier):

A bunch of people where angry with Rand, and he couldn’t exactly fault them. Sure, he hadn’t actually broken any rules, but he’d definitely gone against their intent, which was almost as bad. So now he could either hope they’d all just forget about it, and that they didn’t decide to kick him out of town, or he could apologize. Rand didn’t want to get kicked out.

“Hey everyone.” He was pretty sure he could hear some crickets chirping in the background. Awkward. “I’d just like to say I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have been following the squirrel around to try and fin where it kept its mail. Sure, the rules about not reading others mail probably don’t really apply to animals, but it was wrong anyway. I promise not to break the rules, or the spirit of the rules again.”

“So, you know, please don’t kick me out of town? There are strange places and adventure and ruined cities full of treasure out there, and I’d much rather stay safely here.” He hoped that had done the trick.

So, now that I've RP'd a public apology my tuition shouldn't increase this cycle, right?

I've done a quick reread of Bridge boy's posts, but I still can't really figure out how a villager could have made the mistake he did. It would have required him to not just accidentally put in the name of the elim faction, but he also made clear that he had to look up the name of the village faction somewhere, which means that the name of the elim faction was somehow far more clear in his mind than the name of the village faction, which just seems really odd if he'd been told he was a villager. So I won't be moving my vote of him. Apologies to him if he proves to be a villager after all.

Also, @A Joe in the Bush, is it mentioned when a conversion happens?

Transgression forgiven. =P

I will not say "A Player was Converted" But Sabanta will mention that she and a friend finally managed to defect, so read the writeups. Hints will be peppered throughout.

2 hours ago, Yitzi2 said:

By the way, @A Joe in the Bush, can future cycles include the countdown timer for that cycle?

Apologies, i meant to, but time got away from me. They all will from now on. Also, the rules post contains timers for the first three cycles.

Cycle 2: Wow, that was Suspiciously Fast.

Wow, So much happened guys. First off, I got called on to officiate a wedding! It was so Beautiful! Who new Detective Deuce was so good with Words! I was lucky enough to be around when he proposed to Celia, and man, it made my heart start to flutter. He said,

Celica, hey baby, hey. I know this might sound a little crazy but hear me out. I've seen a lotta dollar dames come and go, and you've got the kind of eyes with bad news written on them like an Oculator of '29. But you and me, we got gold on the soles of our feet, baby- and all the angels in heaven decided to take a piss at the same time. Listen, I did a lot of gutter crawling back in teachie- and it's not getting any easier any time soon. Do you mind if I smoke? So yeah, that's why I put all my chips inside and out- no questions asked. Put your feet up a little, young lady- there's a man outside with typewriters in his pockets, he's blue but I'm not sure if he's jaded. Anyway, so listen up- this seven card gig is a hands down shake your knees and exit on your left kind of sideshow, but people like me don't cut another man's cards unless his jibs aren't inside the moon vehicle at all times. You got that? So here's the catch, I gotta runner down the shortcut to pipe city- but people like me don't go outdoors without an umbrella unless it's three days until christmas, know what I mean? Now I'm here on a concrete slab of wood floating down the margarita river, and I ain't got a shoebox to make it up the downstairs. So... What I'm trying to say is... Will you marry me, Celica?"

And she said,

I've come to a decision Deuce. I must follow my heart! And my heart is telling me to say yes! You're the only detective for me.

Isn’t that adorable? I hope I find someone half as nice as him.

Their wedding was a huge affair. Crystin knights, My cousins, Librarians, Astronauts and even a dinosaur were there. The biggest party I’ve been to in years! And absolutely perfect for striking up conversations with possible Hushlanders :ph34r: Unfortunately, i didn’t find one. But i found someone just as good! One of the people i talked to was actually in recruitment talks. They mentioned bringing me along, and i said yes, so i was brought to an actual agent, and they cleared me! I’m a Hushlander Agent now!

But everything went down from there. Poor Squirrelmort, you know, the wizard? He got swept up in all the emotions of the wedding, and proposed to the girl of his dreams. But she said no! :( He was so heartbroken that he started crying right then and there, and hurried away from her. The girl also cried, but couldn’t quite explain why to the people who tried to comfort her. She got out just enough of the story to make them angry though, so they tracked down the poor squirrel, and shot him with a comastick!

They all scattered before King Dartmoor arrived unfortunately. He can yell really loud when he wants to. Apparently Squirrelmort was a Close confident of his, and one of my cousins? (Can squirrels and Humans even be relatives?) Poor squirrely.

So, King Dartmoor talked to the Crystin Knights, and the Council tried to hunt down whoever put the squirrel into a coma. They went through a lot of suspect, while i just followed them around. At one point they thought they found their man, when they met a person who was chucking books at someone’s head (They were ‘testing for librarians’ apparently.) But they moved on when they realized that Thomas the Occulator was no where to be found. Obviously, he’d fled the party after Squirrelmort got put into a Coma!

So they kicked down his door, grabbed him before he could throw on a pair of glasses, and dragged him to their Crystal Spire, to be held as a Prisoner of War until the End of the war, or the world, whichever came last.

Weirdest wedding I’ve ever been to. But hey, surely there won’t be any weirder ones. Right?

Unodus and Lopen have gotten Married!
Sart was Detained! He was a Freeworlder!
Bridge Boy was Lynched! He was a Freeworlder Smedy with a Talent for Looking Ugly!

Votes:
Bridge Boy(3): Lopen, Yitzi, Randuir, Magestar
_Stick_(1): Seonid
Seonid(1): Herowannabe
Lopen(1): Bridge boy
Orlok(2): Ecthellion III, Ugly 1
Yitzi(1): Cluny the Scourge

Cycle ends in:

bla_1494633600.png

Bachelors, Bachelorettes, and Dinosaurs:

1. Magestar   (Ratsegam the Bold) A man who was Tagged
  2. Seonid   (Shem Smedry) The master of the Archives.
  3. Cloudjumper   (Fodder) A hard to distinguish man
  4. Ecthelion III   (Aaron) A very contradictory man
  5. Yitzi2   (Jack) A Videogame Engineer
  6. Ornstein   (Pavelock) A Physiologist who trains locks.
  7. Herowannabe   (Herbert) a Micropachycephalosaurus (type of dinosaur) scholar who delights in regaling people with obscure trivia, usually about his own species.
  8. DroughtBringer   (Master Namer Smedry) A Smedry with a talent for not being around when needed.
  9. BrightnessRadiant   (Jemma) A Completely not Evil Bibliophile
  10. Randuir   (Rand) Not the Chosen One of an Ancient world ending Prophesy.
  11. OrlokTsubodai   (Orlok) An average citizen who does his best to ignore politics.
  12. Queensteph   (Alex) A Girl who despises, and is despised by, Librarians
  13. _stick_   (Stick) A Mokia native.
  14. Elbereth   (Ella) A cute, innocent little girl)
  15. Cluny the Scourge   (Cluny) A collector of books and Lard
  16. Jedal   (Jedal)  a Guy with good tastes.

Couples, Platonic Life partners and what else have you:

1. The MightyLopen   (Celia) A Girl swept off her feet.
  2. Unodus   (Agent Deuce) A detective, skilled at Sweeping girls off their feet.

Dead/Detained/In Coma’s

1. Sart   (Thomas) Killed by Knights C1: Freworlder
  2. Bridge Boy   (Squirrelmort) Lynced C1: Freeworlder Smedry: Looking Ugly
Edited by Alvron

22 minutes ago, Yitzi2 said:

Discussion: Should we ask Freeworlder librarians (if there are any, there probably are) to post a librarian list?  (Or does librarian-ism need to be actively scanned?)

Although this could be really useful, it could also lead to a lot of mistrust placed upon our revealed Freeworlder Librarians, them coming forward essentially is like saying "Hey look at me, I have a decent chance of being an elim!" And that could be scary, so I feel like it would be best if they don't step forward, but we should have everyone say something, and try to do what the village, as a whole, wants, not just me. 

In the second half of last cycle @Cluny the Scourge said something that I don't agree with;

Yitzi2

He has a suspicious activity level, posting a lot but not contributing TOO much.

And I don't entirely agree with this logic, At this point in the cylce Yitzi2 has actually done quite a bit, he called out Bridge's weirdness, posted a lot of RP, tried to get people to post (Orlok, namely), 
Whereas Cluny did...one thing. He talked about Yitzi2. When Yitzi2 responded he never responded back. I find that very small amount of contribution more suspicious than anything Yitzi did last cycle, so,  Cluny

Also, guys, don't forget to send out a PM, I would suggest to send one out earlier rather than later as sometimes life can get in the way, and you can forget...which is something that would never happen to someone like me...right? 

I had planned to start a PM this morning, after more people had posted, and due to school was not able to sign in and start one. I would suggest starting PMs earlier, while you are thinking about it, compared to later. Don't be like me. I am not a good person to play follow the leader with :P 

34 minutes ago, DroughtBringer said:

Although this could be really useful, it could also lead to a lot of mistrust placed upon our revealed Freeworlder Librarians, them coming forward essentially is like saying "Hey look at me, I have a decent chance of being an elim!" And that could be scary, so I feel like it would be best if they don't step forward, but we should have everyone say something, and try to do what the village, as a whole, wants, not just me.

Don't forget, though, if the Freeworlders win, everybody on that team wins, even the ones who were already lynched or killed.  So unless they're also knights or Smedries, the increased suspicion on them is far less harmful than the increased suspicion on the Hushlander Librarians is beneficial.

(Of course, we should still remember that any given Librarian is more likely than not to be a Freeworlder, but only by a factor of 150%, as opposed to 750% for non-Librarians.)

My singular purpose in this life is to get married before I die. <3 I suppose I must enter the dating scene first, however. As a very contradictory man, I feel it is my duty to inform the GM that I will go completely against what he has warned and I shall trust people, even those who don't appear trustworthy.

I know, I know, entering a library isn't exactly the most trustworthy thing to do these days, even for me. But hey, it's for a good cause! I slide into a chair next to Jemma, who appears to be absorbed in a book and deep in thought. Quite charming, if you ask me. "How are you doing today?" @BrightnessRadiant

@Ecthelion III Jemma looked up from her book, annoyed to have been interrupted again. She turned to see who had addressed her, ready and willing to dismiss them as suddenly as they had come. "I'm fine, but if you don't mind...", she stopped as she saw a very good looking man smiling back at her. She blushed, and looked away, trying to regain her composure. A small smile tugged at her lips, and she turned back to try again. "I'm sorry if I sounded rude. It's just that I've already been interrupted so many times while trying to read this novel, and you just happened to be the unlucky last straw." 

"Now that you're interrupted anyway, may I ask which novel?  I know it's not one from these shelves, as those are all dry books about computers.  Still, if you'd like to make use of this space to read, I don't particularly mind."

Despite her initial annoyance, I see the smallest hint of a smile on Jemma's lips. I smile back warmly, and she blushes, her lips again--

Focus, Aaron! Why are you looking at her lips? You're supposed to be trying to decide whom out of the 18 we should kill.

Isn't that a depressing thought...

It appears that there's one Bad At Math person who didn't place a vote last cycle. I think we'd better look through the players who were on [and likely posted at least once] but didn't vote. I noticed Cloudjumper on recently; I'm not sure if he was on around rollover or not, but I think he's a possible candidate for being Bad At Math. (Not that that says anything about alignment.) I'm fairly certain the extra vote on Orlok came from Bridge Boy, as there's no reason he wouldn't use his power in that way. That accounts for the vote addition and subtraction.

As far as the Librarians roles, I think it's more informative to look at the likely/ideal player distribution of Librarians and non-Librarians. There are likely 4 Hushlanders, so with a 1 in 2 chance, we can expect 2 Hushlander Librarians. There are likely 16 Freeworlders, so with a 1 in 6 chance, we can expect 2.7 (round up to 3) Freeworlder Librarians. You read that right: there are likely more Freeworlder Librarians than Hushlander Librarians, so it's actually more probable that a given Librarian is a Freeworlder than a Hushlander. So in my opinion, it's best to just ignore the Librarian roles. As for who to kill... yes, who to kill... erm....

I blink, and Jemma is looking at me expectantly. Crap. I must have looked like such a fool drifting off into space like that. "No, I understand. If this is a bad time, I can come back later. Maybe 7 PM?"

Smooth, Aaron, real smooth. You blank out for a few moments thinking about murder and now you ask someone that kind of question......

1 minute ago, Ecthelion III said:

There are likely 16 Freeworlders, so with a 1 in 6 chance, we can expect 2.7 (round up to 3) Freeworlder Librarians. You read that right: there are likely more Freeworlder Librarians than Hushlander Librarians, so it's actually more probable that a given Librarian is a Freeworlder than a Hushlander. So in my opinion, it's best to just ignore the Librarian roles.

Doesn't really follow.  There are likely more Freeworlder librarians than Hushlander ones, and any given Librarian is more likely to be a Freeworlder.  However, the Freeworlders currently outnumber the Hushlanders 4.5 to 1; if there are in fact 3 Freeworlder Librarians and 2 Hushlander ones, then Freeworlder non-librarians outnumber Hushlander ones 7.5 to 1, which is significantly better odds.

Which means it's vastly more important to know if someone is a non-Librarian than a Librarian. If we find out someone is a Librarian, they're not any more likely to be a Hushlander, but if we find out someone is a non-Librarian, it's extremely likely that they're a Freeworlder. Unfortunately, it's more imperative to find the bad guys, not the good guys.

(Color for purely discussion posts)

Edited by Ecthelion III