Mistborn...Problem? Or impatient.

Xero stormz

I am a huge fan of a lot Brandon Sanderson has done mainly the stormlight archive. Being such a fan of his work I HAD to pick up Mistborn but for some reason I am having a lot harder time getting invested in the story than others. I may just be impatient but it seems like there is a lot of "politics". The premise sounded very interesting but idk. Anyone else have this problem early on in the story? 

Edited by Xero stormz

Stormlight Archive has a good amount of politics as well, though it does start with a big action sequence. Mistborn takes a little while to set the stage rather than throwing you right into things but then it picks up once Vin (and thus the reader) is sufficiently informed of what's going on to be able to follow the plot.

I just reread Mistborn, and the pace of the book seems perfect to me. Much of the politics helps you understand what's happening, and I don't really find it that boring in Mistborn. I'm also blown away my the amount of foreshadowing going on that you wouldn't be able to pick out unless you've already read the trilogy. There are a few "more exciting" bits scattered throughout, but the story doesn't only revolve around that. It's more about Vin learning about friendship, the skaa's hope. It might help if you listened to the audiobook, as it's more passive and lets you do other things at the same time, also, you don't accidentally skip chapters when the action picks up. Not sure where you are in it, but if it's early on, you'll get into it very soon. As a standalone, it's my second favourite Sanderson book.

It took me about the first half of Mistborn to really get sucked in, which I talk about at length in my own thread (which has spoilers).  To paraphrase, while the world and characters are quite compelling, you really have to spend some time with them and get to know them before that likeability starts coming through.  Once you hit about the halfway point, specifically a scene involving some Inquisitors, you should be all-in.

2 hours ago, Xero stormz said:

I am a huge fan of a lot Brandon Sanderson has done mainly the stormlight archive. Being such a fan of his work I HAD to pick up Mistborn but for some reason I am having a lot harder time getting invested in the story than others. I may just be impatient but it seems like there is a lot of "politics". The premise sounded very interesting but idk. Anyone else have this problem early on in the story? 

As others have said, the initial cost of Mistborn is a bit high; i.e. things move slowly at first. The pace of the final book really picks up towards the middle and then, of course, at the end during the "Brandon Avalanche". Book 2 and 3 are even slower, in my opinion, but the final pay out is easily worth it. Without trying to get your expectations too high, the ending of the trilogy is incredible and made this series one of my top fantasy series. I hope you stick with it!

Mistborn and Stormlight Archive have very different scopes and a very different approach to story telling. It isn't rare one would appeal to a few given readers, but not the other. I personally do not have a strong investment into Mistborn, but I absolutely love Stormlight. Mistborn, I find too short, too focus onto the Cosmere (Gods/Shards/resurrection) and not digging deep enough into characters. As a result, I find the Mistborn characters much less interesting to follow and while I love the Wild West approach of the second trilogy, I am not a huge fan of some of the concepts it introduces.

I would however suggest you keep on reading as the first trilogy does have a very good ending, but it is OK if you don't like it as much as Stormlight.

• Chaos locked this topic