Lightning

Failed Hot Dog Story

8 posts in this topic

I must be a Sanderfan, because I really liked the short story.  That night I had a fun dream, where my mind filled in an end to the story.  It really captured my imagination.  I can understand why Brandon said it wasn't very good-- but it drew me in.

Here is a possible endings I thought up that would be fun twists.

The girl is really a hologram.  The company can't find any real people to interact with Petr.

Thoughts?

He will finally get his hotdog, but when something takes his attention for a moment, the girl decides to have a bite.... and then another. 

He gets back and the entire thing is gone. 

He chokes on the hot dog, and the miliworts (was that the word) for hot dogs skyrockets.

Milimorts, seems to be based on the latin word "Mortis" meaning death so i would guess 1 mort means almost certain death (being shot in the head = 1 mort).

I guess the story could have continued with Petr corrupting the girl to also try "suicidal" things and the story ends with them trying the most dangerous activity anyone has done in centuries: going on an actual date in the outside world

A few weeks ago I had a conversation with a guy where I argued that we are too concerned with safety even when the potential harm is minimal. My argument was that the bother of following uncomfortable safety practices could end up outweighting the potential safety risk. As I read that story, I feels it showcases my point perfectly. I want to get that guy to read it and say "THAT's what I want to avoid!"

10 hours ago, Samaldin said:

Milimorts, seems to be based on the latin word "Mortis" meaning death so i would guess 1 mort means almost certain death (being shot in the head = 1 mort).

Can't be 1 mort = certain death. being outside earned about one tenth of mort per hour. I don't see ten hours spent outside to be fatal. No, I figure one mort is more or less the chance of death by chocking on your hot dog.

Millimorts could be an application of the micromort which is a one-in-a-million chance of death.

What Weiry said. (Which, when scaled up, does turn out to be 1 mort = certain death, if my American brain did the metrics correctly.)

On a side note, the Wikipedia article on micromorts is really messed up. "one can consider the amount of money one would have to pay a person to accept a one-in-a-million chance of death...people claim a high number but when inferred from their day-to-day actions ... a typical value is around $50 (in 2009)".

One way this funny story could end if that he eats the hot dog and finds that he hates the taste of it.