Captains Domon

Entertainment Reviews(and Debate)

167 posts in this topic

Personal opinion regarding the Oscars: Infinity War should have gotten a Best Picture nod. It is that good. I am happy for Black Panther though.

Also, Mortal Engines should have gotten a special effects nod.

On 1/26/2019 at 8:14 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

Also, Mortal Engines should have gotten a special effects nod.

Yes! For CG Shrike alone!

Ok, so I know that this is really late, but there is something that I just really need to vent about.

Why on earth did they reveal that Hulk was in the movie and would fight Thor in the trailer for Thor: Ragnarok?!?!? In the movie they were building up to it and kept Hulk out of sight until the very last moment, making it seem like it was supposed to be a big and shocking reveal. So why the heck did they put it in the trailer?! No one knew where Hulk was until the trailer came out! It could have been this huge surprise! But they spoiled it in the trailer!!!

Edited by Lunamor

15 hours ago, Lunamor said:

Ok, so I know that this is really late, but there is something that I just really need to vent about.

Why on earth did they reveal that Hulk was in the movie and would fight Thor in the trailer?!?!? In the movie they were building up to it and kept Hulk out of sight until the very last moment, making it seem like it was supposed to be a big and shocking reveal. So why the heck did they put it in the trailer?! No one knew where Hulk was until the trailer came out! It could have been this huge surprise! But they spoiled it in the trailer!!!

Yeah, this is what finally pushed me to stop watching trailers, at least for Marvel movies.  Not because Marvel movies are particularly bad about spoilers (this being a frustrating exception), but if I'm going to see them anyways, I may as well not watch the trailer.  

I'm not sure it'll work, in practice, as any big reveals will probably get spoiled by memes, or titles of reddit posts, or off-hand mentions in threads like this; but I'm not feeling a great loss in my life by not participating in the huge trailer hype cycle, anyway. 

17 hours ago, Lunamor said:

Why on earth did they reveal that Hulk was in the movie and would fight Thor in the trailer?!?!? In the movie they were building up to it and kept Hulk out of sight until the very last moment, making it seem like it was supposed to be a big and shocking reveal. So why the heck did they put it in the trailer?! No one knew where Hulk was until the trailer came out! It could have been this huge surprise! But they spoiled it in the trailer!!!

Are you talking about Thor:Ragnarok?

Just now, Snipexe said:

Oh, sorry! I should probably add what movie I am talking about. And yes, I am.

Edited by Lunamor

21 minutes ago, Snipexe said:

More like Bore: Ragnarok, am I right?

Just now, Dr. Dapper said:

More like Bore: Ragnarok, am I right?

No

It's a refrence to the YouTube channel CallMeKevin.

Glass is the newest film by M. Night Shyamalan and is nearly twenty years in the making. This is a movie that I have been looking forward to for a long time. I think Unbreakable is one of the best films ever, and Split was awesome, albeit a bit disturbing.

The third entry in this trilogy combines both casts of the films, except for Robin Wright, because she's way too expensive these days (or she just said no). To see Bruce Willis return is great and is made even better because he is actually acting. Samuel L. Jackson doesn't much except sit there for the first hour or so, but once the plot kicks into gear, he's awesome. And of course, James McAvoy just blows it through the roof as "The Horde". In Glass, he plays 21 of his 24 personalities and adds enough to set them apart as different characters.

Spencer Treat Clark and Charlayne Woodard return from Unbreakable, and Anya Taylor-Joy returns from Split. They all give great performances, but especially Spencer Treat Clark. His arc in the movie is really good.

Do not believe the Rotten Tomatoes percentage for this movie. I encourage everyone to decide for themselves. I really enjoyed the movie, until an event in the third act. After that, it sort of fell apart for me. But overall, I highly recommend you see this movie because it is really good until what happens.

SPOILERS:

Spoiler

As soon as it became apparent that David Dunn was going to die by drowning in a pothole, I kind of checked out. Going into the movie, I knew that both villains were going to die. So I wasn't surprised by their deaths. However, the "police officer" begins to drown David, and then David touches Dr. Staple and discovers the truth about Shyamalan's version of the League of Shadows. I just couldn't buy it.

The third act of Glass feels like the end of a different movie. I would have preferred if Mr. Glass and the Horde attacked that building. After that, David finds out about the organization, and another movie could've focused on his battle to reveal them. Then he dies, and the secret is revealed. That would've been fine. But killing off the one we are supposed to be rooting for does not help the movie. David was just getting started, and then goes out like a wimp. I was disappointed, almost angry with that.

But I still recommend it.

In Ragnarok, Thor fighting Hulk was known ages before the movie came out. Marvel even showed the Hulks armor at a con. So I don’t think the trailer spoiled anything. The reason for why the movie keeps it a secret is basically so that Thor can be surprised.

9 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

In Ragnarok, Thor fighting Hulk was known ages before the movie came out. Marvel even showed the Hulks armor at a con. So I don’t think the trailer spoiled anything. The reason for why the movie keeps it a secret is basically so that Thor can be surprised.

Oh, I didn’t know that they had revealed it before the trailer. But still. They shouldn’t have revealed it at all in the first place, as it would have worked really well as a big surprise.

On 30/01/2019 at 5:32 AM, Captains Domon said:

Do not believe the Rotten Tomatoes percentage for this movie. I encourage everyone to decide for themselves.

I had the same issue with Rotten Tomatoes.  Reading actual reviews of the reviewers I like, it is nowhere like the rating rotten tomatoes give the movie.

Edited by Wax

Some Brandon characters described by anime themes:

Kelsier:

Battlecry by Nujabes from Samurai Champloo

Szeth-son-son-Vallano:

Debilman no Uta by kensuke ushio from Devilman Crybaby

Stephen Leeds/Legion:

A Cruel Angel's Thesis by Yoko Takahashi from Neon Genesis Evangelion

Wayne:

Tank! by Yoko Kanno from Cowboy Bebop

Waxillium Ladrian:

Rain by Yoko Kanno from Cowboy Bebop

Vivenna:

Styx Helix by Myth & Roid from Re:Zero

Bridge Four:

Guren no Yumiya by Linked Horizon from Attack on Titan

Vasher and Nightblood:

the WORLD by Nightmare from Death Note

Hoid:

Space Lion by Yoko Kanno from Cowboy Bebop

I can recommend Instant Family if you are into inoffensive comedies that everyone can watch.... 

Things that Made Me Happy About the Oscars:

Spike Lee winning his first competitive Oscar and Samuel L. Jackson's enthusiasm in announcing and awarding him.

Olivia Colman's acceptance speech for winning Best Actress.

Rami Malek's win and acceptance speech.

Guillermo del Toro presenting Best Director to his close friend, Alfonso Cuaron.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse winning Best Animated Feature.

First Man winning Best Visual Effects.

Mirai being nominated for Best Animated Feature.

No cringy host this year. Thank all things holy.

Things that Made Me Angry (or Cringe) About the Oscars:

Bohemian Rhapsody winning all the Editing awards.

The fact that Mission: Impossible-Fallout was not nominated for anything.

Maya Rudolph, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler presenting Best Supporting Actress.

Black Panther winning Best Original Score.

The Favourite only won 1 Oscar out of the ten nominations it received.

Won't You Be My Neighbor? was snubbed by the Academy for Best Documentary.

Black Panther winning 3 Oscars.

Bohemian Rhapsody led the ceremony with 4 Oscars. (What??)

Serena Williams presenting A Star Is Born.

On 5/22/2017 at 0:13 PM, maxal said:

pretty much Jean-Claude Van Dam entire filmography.

A little defence against my boi Jean-Claude, I do like Hard Target and Timecop, but yeah the rest of his movies are pretty unbearable.