Entertainment Reviews(and Debate)

You know, the typical thing here on this topic is that I start something but never finish it.

Oh, well.

But, this next thing, I will do, and I will be dedicated to, because Studio Ghibli has made some of my favorite films of all time. I will review every single one. Every film. Let's start. So I'm going to do this in the order of the Ghibli Theory (see signature), but it doesn't really matter, if you want to see that, go ahead. So we start with Princess Mononoke! (Which I've already reviewed once, but who cares?) I will also be giving a letter grading.

When I first watched Princess Mononoke I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. I don't know what was up. Something about the film felt.....off. I tried to see differently, but it wasn't working. Something wasn't clicking. A month later, I watched it again. This time, it finally clicked.

It made me realize Princess Mononoke is a masterpiece. Everything in it is. The art, the animation. The characters, the score. It all fits. This film is a "second round". This means you should watch it twice to fully understand it. You have one of the best protagonists ever in the form of Ashitaka, who desires to lift the curse that ails him, and wishes for the forest and the humans to live in peace. But obstacles continue to bar his path and stop him, but he moves forward. San and Lady Eboshi are opposites of each other, yet the same. San protects the forest, while Eboshi seeks to expand and build. They are both violent and unforgiving, but are only trying to protect the things they have cared for.

The animation is amazing in this film, and even today, some new films and other Ghibli films don't even come close to the same intensity as Princess Mononoke. Somebody had to draw that corrupted being in the beginning! Somebody did that! And it looks amazing! The backgrounds and the settings are vibrant, giving us a beautiful film to look at. The score is magnificent. Joe Hisaishi is a genius and a master.

If you haven't seen this film, do it right now. Right now.

Hayao Miyazaki, this is your crown jewel. I'm going to give Princess Mononoke an A+.

Alright, the next one is The Tale of the Princess Kaguya. This film was directed by Isao Takahata, who is the other main guy at Ghibli. He has less films than Miyazaki, but his films always pack an emotional punch. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is no different. I love this film.

This tale shows us a wood cutter, who finds a tiny girl in a bamboo shoot. He and his wife decide to raise the girl as their own. She grows rapidly to adulthood, and becomes a beautiful woman. The bamboo cutter decides to present her as a princess. This film wisely never deviates away from the titular character, Kaguya. There are times where it could have spiraled away, but thankfully, it stayed on the person that I connected with. She's a character we can root for, and as we learn about her past, we feel a sense of isolation that surrounds her. The other great character in this film is the bamboo cutter, her adopted father. He wants to raise her as a princess, and make her a perfect person, but realizes you can never stop time, nor stop the real world.

The animation in this movie is spectacular. The particular art style they use emulates the art in that time period. It is beautiful. The score is great, and I think it's the only Takahata film scored by Hisaishi. That being said, there are problems with the movie. I found it slightly difficult to follow, but that's really just me. I also think it's too long. If they shaved off some scenes here and there, the film would be better. I also never emotionally connected with Kaguya's love interest, who only shows up, like, three times in the film. But overall, I loved watching this film, and I had a great experience.

I'm going to give The Tale of the Princess Kaguya an A-.

Porco Rosso is yet another film by Hayao Miyazaki, and it's a great one. It focuses on a man named Marco, who has been cursed with the face of a pig. He flies through the Mediterranean Sea taking down pirates, and when a new American pilot comes around, things get tense.

I feel that Porco Rosso is more whimsical than most Ghibli films, but balances out nicely with some great action and adventure. This film could have been super campy and cheesy and dumb, but Miyazaki proves his craft once again by making us really connect with the characters. Porco is a tired man, sick of having to deal with idiots like the American, Curtis. Curtis is so easy to hate, because he's super flashy and arrogant. It gets him nowhere, but he himself doesn't think that. The other standout is Fio Piccolo, a young girl who accompanies Porco halfway through the film to make sure his plane is in proper working order. She has a great atmosphere of enthusiasm and bounce that it clashes hilariously with Porco's personality, leading to some great scenes.

The animation is slightly different. You can tell they are trying some new techniques, but it works for the most part. The score, of course, is awesome, once again composed by Joe Hisaishi. Are there problems with this film? Yes. But there not huge. I feel that there's less character development than there could have been. Gina, Porco's love interest, is not a major player in this film, and she gets shifted to the side for the most part. There are a couple of great scenes with her, but I felt like there could have been more. But this film is very light-hearted, very fun, and an overall blast to watch.

I'm going to give Porco Rosso a B+.

Alright, I'm doing another one today, because I doubt I will remember to do it tomorrow.

The Wind Rises is directed by Hayao Miyazaki, and is sort of his tribute to aviation and flight. Miyazaki has always been a fan of aviation, and it is present in many of his films. But I really connected with The Wind Rises. This film is a biopic of Jiro Horikoshi, a real-life aeronautical engineer who designed airplanes for Japan. The film fictionalizing many things, but it brings its own message to the table.

Jiro is a great protagonist. You really connect with him as he works to create his dream. I really like him, because he reminds me of myself in a way. His dedication to his work is amazing. The only thing stronger is the bond between him and the love of his life, Naroko. Their chemistry is electrifying, and she is a joy to see as she supports her husband. But she is also dying of tuberculosis, which puts a somber atmosphere into the mix. Another great character is Kurokawa, Jiro's boss. He's hilarious and loud, yet understanding. He was definitely a highlight. I really loved the dream sequences as well. Here, Jiro talks with his idol, Caproni, an Italian engineer. These scenes are beautifully animated, and give us poignancy as the story progresses.

The animation is great. Every scene is detailed with care and love. (That's in part to it being Miyazaki's last film, until he decided to come out of retirement for the fiftieth time) The score by, of course, Joe Hisaishi, is very different, but wonderfully composed and timed with the film. There are very few problems with the film. In fact, I only had two. I think Naroko does not get as much screen time as she deserved, but that's a nitpick. The other is a character named Castorp, a German. I found that he ruined the pacing. He doesn't fit in at all with the mood, and he ruins the moment sometime.

Needless to say, The Wind Rises is one of my favorite Ghibli films, and I give it an A.

Grave of the Fireflies is the first film in Studio Ghibli to be directed by Isao Takahata, and also the first film to be grounded in reality, meaning that it has no fantasy or wonder. But do not let that dissuade you from watching this film, because this one is so good. Roger Ebert put this film on his "Great Movies" list. That's really no surprise, but then again, Princess Mononoke was not on it, so, :ph34r:.

Grave of the Fireflies tells the story of Seita and Setsuko, brother and sister, whose mother is killed during the fire bombings of Tokyo. For a while, they live with an aunt who is pretty haughty and rude to them, and after a few months, they leave and live in a cave. What I like about this film is that it is not afraid to throw a punch at you, and has deep emotional weight. But that is also one of its downfalls. This film is a tearjerker, and has many sad moments. It has a few tender and sweet ones, but is really morbid. The best scene in the film shows Setsuko burying fireflies. Seita asks what she is doing, and she replies, "I'm putting them in a grave, just like Mother." Then Seita cries, because he did not know that Setsuko knew, and he wasn't planning on telling her.

I will not spoil the ending. I urge you all to watch it for yourselves. The score is soft and quiet, never building up. Its subtleness adds to the drama. The animation is great, and has a color scheme centered around a sunset orange. Fireflies, of course, are a theme in the story, and a really good metaphor. One of the misconceptions about this film is that it is an anti-war film. Takahata has denied this, and I agree with him. On the surface, it may seem that way, but it really just shows the hardships of life during that time period. It's kind of like Schindler's List, though less somber, because there are light-hearted moments in this film.

I was both pleased and shocked with the weight of this film, and I really appreciate its history. I'm going to give Grave of the Fireflies an A-.

From Up on Poppy Hill is directed by Hayao Miyazaki's son, Goro. It is an immense improvement from his other film, Tales of Earthsea, which is really the only bad movie in Ghibli's repertoire. But this film is a joy to watch.

A girl named Umi is attending high school and meets a boy named Shun. Shun is a huge daredevil in comparison to Umi, who's pretty much a pansy. They have a common interest in the clubhouse, which is scheduled to be demolished. They are determined to stop this from happening and clean up the place. While they do this, they also begin to develop feelings for each other. But the mystery begins when they discover they might be brother and sister! (Gross.)

I don't really have much to say about this film. It's very grounded in reality, and has a cheerful tone throughout. The animation is also really cute, and the score matches it perfectly. However, I recommend you watch this twice, because the mystery can be a little difficult to understand first viewing. But it's a good film.

I'm going to give From Up on Poppy Hill a B+.

Only Yesterday is another film by Isao Takahata, and released in the early '90's. However, Disney was very reluctant to release it in English, because Only Yesterday focuses on the life of a young woman and what she experiences as she grows up. Because of elements mentioned, Disney did not release it. But finally, in 2016, they did! It was awesome. I watched this film recently, and all the stuff about womanhood and such, it's no big thing to me, I don't really care.

Only Yesterday presents a young woman named Taeko, whose family lives in the city, but adores the countryside, and even has an adopted family there. She begins to debate whether or not she should take a job in the city or farm in the hills. As a result, she begins to vividly recall events that happened to her in the fifth grade. All the happy moments, embarrassments, and tragedies. (Hence the womanhood stuff) The film has a great way of portraying her memory. Whenever it is a scene from her past, the room and surroundings are always less defined. It's a great animation technique.

The animation in this film feels grainy on purpose, especially when it is a memory. The score is very quiet, fitting the mood of the film. There was one character in this that I did not like. I thought she was too abrupt and ruined pacing. But, fortunately, she's a side character.

While Only Yesterday is a lesser known film, it has a great message and a stunning way of portraying it. I'm going to give Only Yesterday an A.

Some Studio Ghibli films benefit more when you watch them when you're younger. If you watch them when you're older, you find it harder to like, but still difficult to dislike. My Neighbor Totoro is one of these. This film was directed by Hayao Miyazaki, and is one of the first films for Studio Ghibli.

Two sisters, Satsuki and Mei, and their father, Tatsuo move to an old house in the countryside of Japan, in order to be closer to their mother, who is recovering from some illness. As the girls adjust to their new home, they travel through the forest, where they meet Totoro, a forest spirit. The film follows them as they discover the wonders of nature with the golden-hearted Totoro. This is a very sweet film, and it is meant for children. And even though it is meant for children, I still find things I enjoy with this film. It is truly timeless.

The score is equally fantastical, matching the film's whimsy tone and sweet nature. The animation is riveting to watch, especially in scenes with Totoro. The guy is so huggable and awesome. There is one scene that caught me off guard, however, and it ruined the experience somewhat for me. In this particular scene, the girls are taking a bath. With their dad. :blink:.................It is awkward as heck. But nevertheless, the film is great.

My Neighbor Totoro is a classic animated film you should show your kids, and it's a great adventure. I'm going to give My Neighbor Totoro an A.

So, it turns out the day that I wrote my review for My Neighbor Totoro, Isao Takahata passed away. For this reason, I am skipping Ocean Waves and reviewing Pom Poko next. (I'll do Ocean Waves later.)

Pom Poko is a film directed by the late and great Isao Takahata. This film is a bit weird for me. It focuses on raccoons (or tanuki, which ever you prefer) who have the power to shape-shift. A certain clan lives in the Tama Hills, which is being torn down to use the land for developing. This film is about the desperate battle to fight back and drive the humans away before it's too late. Some raccoons want to wipe the humans out. Others want to hide. But most just want to live in peace.

This film has great characters, and is very enjoyable to watch. Some of the antics can get silly at times, especially when they practice shape-shifting. It also has a lot of narration. The beginning of the film is a huge dump of exposition. It bogs the film down as a consequence, and it takes a while to get going. Some of the concepts and some of the shape-shifting sequences also are hard to follow, and some of the animation choices are queer.

But the animation is a strength. Something in all of Takahata's films is that there is always a sequence where they "play" with the animation. Grave of the Fireflies focuses on detail. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya and My Neighbors the Yamadas are animated in a unique style. Only Yesterday has the faded memory flashbacks. And Pom Poko has the whimsical shape-shifting sequences. This film is a great romp from beginning to end. The music matches the tone perfectly.

It's not Takahata's best film, and it is a bit weird. Nevertheless, I loved watching Pom Poko and I'm going to give it a B.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, quick Ready Player One movie review. I haven't read the book though, so that might affect it. 

So, the visuals were great. Everything in the OASIS looked very realistic. I liked how the stack's looked as well. The main problem with the movie was that the puzzle's were ridiculously easy. There was no way it took five years to figure out the first puzzle. There was a whole lot less 80's culture in it compared to the book according to a friend. This is all blown away by how cool the Iron Giant looked though. Not really, but it was super cool. That's all. Not super in depth, just a couple problems I saw with the movie.

Okay, okay, I'm back. Ocean Waves is an oddball. I didn't even know it existed until GKids released here. It's not directed by a regular Ghibli guy either. It was created so that the younger crew could work on animation, and was released in Japan as a television film. Is it obvious? A little. The animation is undoubtedly smoother than other TV films, but this one has other issues.

The film has three main characters. In fact, the whole film is based on a love triangle. Two boys, Taku and Yutaka, are best friends and both fall in love with Rikako, a new girl. The problem is that the film never gives you the opportunity to root for these characters. They are always moody and Rikako sometimes is extremely angry. They all hit each other sometime in the film, which makes it very hard to sympathize with anyone since they're slapping each other. The other problem is that the film doesn't flesh out Yutaka. It takes its time to develop Taku and Rikako as characters, but just shoehorns Yutaka into the mix. It's very disappointing.

However, the story and the moral is solid. I did enjoy watching the film and I recommend seeing it. This is the only Ghibli film without an English dub, which does make a difference. I also really liked the musical score. It created a feeling of nostalgia and bounce.

Ocean Waves is strange, but I did like. I will give it a B-.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not watch Whisper of the Heart all the way through yet. (Which is why I have not posted on Studio Ghibli.) But to entertain everyone, here's a ranking of all the MCU films!

19. Thor: The Dark World

I really hate this film, because of Malekith. What's your deal, man?  Best Performance: Tom Hiddleston(He makes the film watchable)

18. Iron Man 2

Do I have to say anything?  Best Performance: Sam Rockwell(He's the only one having fun here)

17. Iron Man 3

Shane Black made a Shane Black film, not an MCU film. People either think it's terrible, or really good. Me? I think it sucks.  Best Performance: Ben Kingsley(Despite what they did, he really pulls it off)

16. Avengers: Age of Ultron

Seriously, I could talk for an hour about why I despise this one. So disappointing.  Best Performance: Jeremy Renner(Great job, man. Maybe Marvel will actually give you a solo film)

15. Thor

From here, I enjoy all these films, but we have to start somewhere. Sorry, Thor.  Best Performance: Clark Gregg(Coulson really shines here)

14. Doctor Strange

Some people may not agree with this, because a lot of people have put it in their top 5, so I will say this: It is a competent film. If I went into detail, we'd be here all day.  Best Performance: Benedict Wong(I literally love every scene with him)

13. The Incredible Hulk

I think this film is underrated. It is way better than people give it credit for. Marvel, don't ignore this film. It happened, please acknowledge it.  Best Performance: William Hurt(He plays General Ross down to a tee. It's awesome)

12. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

I really like the small scope of this film, and the focus on family is great.  Best Performance: Michael Rooker(He just whistled, then knocked it out of the park)

11. Captain America: Civil War

The only reason this is not in my top 10 is because if you think about Zemo's plan, it makes no sense.  Best Performance: Robert Downey Jr.(He is really putting dedication into his role here)

10. Captain America: The First Avenger

I really like this film. If I had to pick a favorite origin film, it might be this one.  Best Performance: Hayley Atwell(By far the best Marvel girl, besides the Wasp)

9. Ant-Man

This film is hilarious. I love it.  Best Performance: Michael Pena(Steals every scene he's in)

8. The Avengers

It's not the best film, but I love the chemistry of the characters.  Best Performance: Mark Ruffalo(Just try to imagine if Edward Norton had stayed)

7. Spider-Man: Homecoming

I was really impressed how it wasn't another origin story. It's not the best Spider-Man film though. You could probably guess what that one is.  Best Performance: Michael Keaton(One of the best villains of the MCU, though Jacob Batalon nearly stole this film as Ned)

6. Guardians of the Galaxy

An amazing film that could really stand alone as a science-fiction film, but works within the MCU nonetheless.  Best Performance: Bradley Cooper(Even though he didn't do motion capture for Rocket, that's some awesome voice work)

5. Iron Man

Even though I consider Captain America: The First Avenger a better origin story, Iron Man really comes in at full steam. It is amazing, especially when you look back.  Best Performance: Shaun Toub(He made Yinsen very likable, and his death tragic)

4. Avengers: Infinity War

One of the best things about this film is the way they juggled all the characters. For the most part.  Best Performance: Josh Brolin(By far)

3. Thor: Ragnarok

I love this film. Seriously, that's all I can say.  Best Performance: I had a really hard time with this one, because a lot of the performances are great. Finally I made a decision. It's not one person. It's the entire cast. Every character in this film has great moments.

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Captain America is a great example of how to do a superhero trilogy. And this film is very gripping.  Best Performance: Frank Grillo(Steals scenes with his riveting intensity)

1. Black Panther

What makes Black Panther the best are the characters. Not a single one feels out of place. Chadwick Boseman is morally compelling as T'Challa, Letitia Wright created a legend as Shuri, and Andy Serkis is just having fun being there. The character arcs are amazing, and that makes it my favorite.  Best Performance: Michael B. Jordan(Anybody named Michael in the MCU does a good job, but Jordan doesn't just do a great job. He raised the bar. He might be better than Heath Ledger as a villain, and that's saying something. I said might. I need to watch Black Panther again before deciding)

• 4 weeks later...

The thing about reviews is that you get caught up with life. Then, you eventually need to rewatch a couple of films before you start. This happened to me. I'm back, and today, I'm reviewing more Studio Ghibli, but it is not on the Theory. In fact, it is the only one not on the theory. Tales from Earthsea. Wow. What to start with.

Tales from Earthsea is the directorial debut of Hayao Miyazaki's son, Goro. Unfortunately, this happened to become what is now what I consider the worst film. This film is based on the incredible fantasy novels by Ursula K. Le Guin. I really loved these novels for the imagery and the deep thoughts they provoked. I already was aware of the reputation of this film before I watched it, and boy, I came out even more disappointed than I thought. Not only is Tales from Earthsea a poor adaptation, it is very difficult to believe this is a Ghibli film.

The film's protagonist, Arren, is not a good character. He does some things in the film (like kill his father) and they never fully explain why. The animation pales in comparison to other Ghibli films. The only likable character in the film is Ged, but saying that is a stretch. It's a jumbled mess, like they were given the novels and were told, "Make it a movie. In three months." I found myself surprised at how lazy the movie seemed.

There are positive things about the film I can say. The story they manage to pull out of it is slightly intriguing. The English Dub has great performances from Timothy Dalton(the best James Bond) and Willem Dafoe(yes, he's in this movie). There are some animation sequences that are great, like the dragons.

Half of the film is exposition. It takes too much time talking about past events instead of fleshing out these characters. If you deviate from the novel by a wide margin, you're expected to make it an interesting story. Some films do it well. (Ready Player One) Others like Tales from Earthsea do not. I'm going to give it a C-.

On 27/04/2017 at 1:21 PM, Captains Domon said:

One thing that I did like, however, was Sherlock and Watson facing off against each other. No matter what anybody says, they did that on purpose. They totally did.

Hahaha I thought the exact same thing. Also your review is spot on mate. But I did quiet enjoy the that's what Bilbo Baggins hates part. It was a part of the book I always remembered for some reason and loved it on screen. 

Last night, I saw one of 2018's best films. A Quiet Place.

This film is directed by Jim Halpert. (a.k.a John Krasinski) Which is a little weird to think about. It stars him, his wife Emily Blunt, and two amazing child actors. It follows a family in the aftermath of some kind of world event, in which monsters highly sensitive to sound have invaded. This sets up one of the best thrillers that I have ever seen since Rear Window. (If you haven't seen that, do so.)

There is no describing how much I liked this. The musical score is high-strung, the cinematography is great, and the concept is just wow. Krasinski has a full understanding of what he wants in this story and uses it to its full potential. We can see the dedication put into this, in every aspect of the movie. It's awesome.

I think the best part of this film is the performances, and the chemistry created. John Krasinski brings a somber, yet determined form in his character. You can really feel the love he has for his children. Emily Blunt.....I can't even start. She does things here that astound me. She blew me away. Millicent Simmonds plays their deaf daughter. What is great here is that she is actually deaf. This brings more authenticity to the role. She actually taught sign language to the rest of the cast. And Noah Jupe plays their younger son. He was great in Wonder, he's great here.

The message of A Quiet Place is not about the suspense, it's about love and family. This film has a tender moral, and a powerful way of showing it. That's what really punches it in for me. I highly recommend it to everyone.

• 1 month later...

Being busy with summer does not give opportunities to be able to review things, but occasionally, it does let you. I finally got to see Whisper of the Heart and now I will review it.

Whisper of the Heart is directed by Yoshifumi Kondo, his first and only feature. He sadly passed away after finishing the film. Miyazaki and Takahata saw Kondo as a future leader of Ghibli, and had he lived, he probably would have been. Whisper of the Heart shows us the small dramas of teenage life, in an alarmingly realistic way. Shizuku is an aspiring author, and wants to be successful. She meets Seiji, who also wants to follow his dreams and become a violin maker. They fall in love and the film transforms into a story of perseverance. This film also introduces us to one of Ghibli's best characters, Baron Humbert von Gikkingen, a statue with a soul.

Kondo takes his time to tell his story, and for this reason, Whisper of the Heart can be a bit difficult to get through on a first viewing. Some people I have talked to have spoken negatively about this film, because of the slow pacing. In fact, most people that I've talked to that love this film are girls. (Hey, I'm not trying to stereotype, it's just an observation) But Whisper of the Heart has an endearing quality that makes it special, even though I don't think it is Ghibli's best. I'm going to give it a B+.

• 4 months later...

Being off the grid can be refreshing, but I have to admit that I missed this. Hey, guys, welcome back....

I've been watching a ton more anime since I was last here, and I've developed an appreciation for it. I think the main reason that I didn't watch much anime except Ghibli was because of the fanbase surrounding anime. Not all of the fans are super weird or kinky, but the stuff I've seen really did not give a good impression. However, that did change when I watched two particular shows, A Certain Magical Index and Cowboy Bebop.

These shows fascinated me and I will be doing in-depth reviews of both of them. (There will be multiple for Index because there are multiple seasons and a spin-off show as well)

See you soon!

A quick thought on Incredibles 2.

So when I heard there was going to be a sequel to The Incredibles, I was pumped. It was like before Toy Story 3 came out. People would joke about it, but never thought it would come out. Then Pixar announced it and everyone just lost it. It was much the same situation for Incredibles 2. And now that I have seen it, I must say that I was disappointed.

Let me say this. Incredibles 2 was not a terrible movie. It was really good. But there are several elements in the narrative that prevent it from reaching the level that the first one has attained.

First and foremost is, of course, the villain, Screenslaver, who ends up being the lady that the movie doesn't say is the villain, but you can obviously tell that it's her. I have yet to meet someone who was actually shocked when they revealed her as the villain. I think this is the fault of the script. It gives too many hints within her dialogue that she is hiding something. Subtlety should be key here, but it isn't utilized. The first Screenslaver looks awesome. His costume is great. But he barely appears in the movie, which wastes the anticipation of Elastigirl confronting him. The fight between Screenslaver and Helen should have been way longer, and would have ended sooner if Helen had just stretched to grab him instead of running.

Secondly is the focus of the movie. The Incredibles does a great job of focusing on Bob's plight, but still involves the family as a whole. Incredibles 2 struggles to decide whether to focus on Helen, or Bob taking care of the kids. It should have focused more on Helen honestly, because there are sides of her character that were left unexplored in the first one, and sadly, they still aren't. While Bob's plotline in the film is entertaining, it steals away from the investment that we should be feeling for Helen, which is practically non-existent. The balance between the plotlines is ultimately skewed, and damages the connection we feel for Helen.

Lastly is the tone. The Incredibles feels large, but personal, because we understand where each character stands and what they want. Incredibles 2 does not feel as serious as the first, and I largely blame this on the other supers. Not Frozone. He's awesome. But the others, like Voyd, Reflux, Brick. Introducing all these other superheroes were very unnecessary to the overall story. They distract us from the main focus of the film, and make it feel silly. I would have just introduced Voyd. She would have been enough. But the rest honestly just distort the tone.

Those are my thoughts. If they make Incredibles 3, they should focus on Dash, because he is the character with the least nuance in the Parr family. I think even Jack-Jack got more screen time. Even Violet gets more development, even though she has less screen time than Dash and Jack-Jack! But I digress. Cowboy Bebop coming soon.

I think it's time we blow this thing. Get everybody and the stuff together. Ok, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

Cowboy Bebop is one of the greatest things I have ever seen. For those who aren't knowledgeable about anime, the premise is quite simple. A group of bounty hunters wander the solar system in the year 2071, looking for possible bounties on a ship they call the Bebop. But the end result is a whopper, hitting you from all sides with all kinds of emotions. And it is great.

While the show has four main characters, there really is only one main protagonist. That is Spike Spiegel, who is a great character. He is modeled after many different people, including Bruce Lee. You can compare a lot of people to Spike, such as Star-Lord. But the thing that makes him so intriguing is his past, which is slowly revealed to us through beautifully animated flashbacks done in noir style. You receive more and more information about him, and the character in the present becomes more entertaining. He is also very laid back, and has a lack of sympathy for others. Sometimes he comes off as insensitive, but it's always played for comedy.

The other three are great characters as well. Even though the main focus is Spike, the others should not be ignored. The first is Jet Black, who actually is in charge. While Spike is the main focus, Jet takes care of the ship, cooks, finds new bounties and trims his bonsai. He's basically the mom. But he's also an ex-cop with a metal arm and a short temper. We do get to see more of Jet as the series plays out, and all great series develop all their characters.

Then there is Faye Valentine, a no-nonsense, gambling con artist. She has a great dynamic with Spike and Jet. The scenes in which she clashes with them are among the best. She is very cynical on the outside, but the show has a way of peeling off the layers and revealing what she really is. Faye's story arc is very powerful in that it teaches us to look back and find ourselves. But this turns out to be quite difficult for Faye.

Lastly, there's Edward. Her full name is Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV. (She made it up herself.) She represents the goofy side of the show. There never really is a scene where she is actually serious. (Except once, but that's a spoiler.) While she is goofy, she never bogs down the ride. She is never annoying. In fact, Ed nearly is adorable. While Edward is meant to be taken lightly, her intelligence is quite sharp, because she's a computer hacker. Then there's Ein, a Welsh Corgi with near-human intelligence. He's usually just there, but the show does give him moments to shine.

All of these characters (except Ein) represent the overall themes of Cowboy Bebop, which is loneliness and the difficulty of escaping the past. It's very sobering to think about, because the show is usually a lot of fun. However, it is a very thoughtful way of doing so.

Another thing I must mention is the music, composed by Yoko Kanno. This woman is a genius. I never thought jazz would fit into the space genre, or any genre besides.....I don't know, jazz, but it really works here. If you click the link above, you can get a small taste of this great music.

There are no bad episodes of Cowboy Bebop, but there are some that feel less important, or feel like fluff, especially in the last half of the series. The first half has some of my favorite episodes, and while the second half is good, it does dwindle slightly. Some of my favorite episodes include:

• Ballad of Fallen Angels
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Gateway Shuffle
  • Black Dog Serenade
  • Pierrot le Fou

If you have not seen Cowboy Bebop, please do. It is worth your time, and if you aren't an anime person, it still is a great way to get into it. I highly suggest the English dub, which is actually better than the original Japanese. While the original is good, the English dub really captures the essence of who and what the characters are.

Go watch Cowboy Bebop. If you don't, well, you're gonna carry that weight.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still working on my reviews for A Certain Magical Index. To stew everyone over before they come, here's my opinion on the acclaimed anime Neon Genesis Evangelion. (Warning: SPOILERS)

Neon Genesis Evangelion is notable for being a deconstruction of the mecha genre, and for its Christian imagery. Also, as a plus, it has incredible three-dimensional characters. My favorite aspect of this show is that while the mechas, or Evas, are a big part of the story and the action, the main focus is on the characters. In particular is the main protagonist, Shinji Ikari. Shinji is a straight-up coward, which at some points, really bothered me. I would sometimes growl in frustration at his reluctance to fight, or his generally wimpy manner when trying to reconnect with people, particularly his father, Gendo. (Gendo, by the way, is one of the worst dads ever.) Shinji's arc comes to a head at the series finale. (Which we will talk about momentarily.)

I also really liked how the show developed every character, even the side ones that we don't really care about. Some characters, like Shinji's classmates, just disappear near the end, but their arcs are pretty much completed before then. My favorite side characters included Rei Ayanami, Asuka Langley Sohryu and Gendo Ikari.

The animation is really good for a nineties anime. Besides Cowboy Bebop, this probably has the best animation from the nineties era of anime. The music is alright, but the opening theme is iconic. A Cruel Angel's Thesis is one of the best. Go listen to it.

Alright, the ending. Oh boy, the ending. There are two endings to the show. One is the series finale, and one is the film The End of Evangelion. The series finale opts to focus on Shinji as a character. It breaks down his psyche and really pounds him down. But it comes to an emotional peak, and ends his character in a very satisfying way. However, this finale does not answer any of our questions. It doesn't reveal what SEELE's motives are, or what exactly Rei is, or Asuka's fate. This made fans of the show extremely angry. Hideaki Anno, the creator, received death threats. And so The End of Evangelion was made. This is the actual conclusion to the series, physically showing what happens, while the series finale is the emotional end.

The End of Evangelion is both satisfying and confusing. It answers a lot of questions, such as SEELE's motives, Rei, and why the heck Eva-01 is super important. It also gives a great revelation of why Gendo was a terrible father to Shinji. Also, it has one of the best action sequences of Evangelion, that being Asuka beating the trash out of the new Eva models with Eva-02. However, the actual conclusion did not satisfy me as much as the series finale. I really like the emotional end to Shinji's character, but The End of Evangelion left me empty inside. It answers the questions, but fails to be emotionally satisfying.

Despite the controversial ending, I highly recommend this show. If you read this entirely and haven't seen it, then I apologize. I just dropped some major spoilers. But watch anyways. It's worth it. (Mostly)

Aquaman is the newest movie in the DC Universe, and it is by far my favorite DC movie. I had a blast with this movie. It has great action and amazing visual effects, the best in any DC movie so far. I'm actually really mad at the Academy Awards right now, because they put Black Panther on the shortlist for Best Visual Effects but not Aquaman! Which is a sin.

Jason Momoa is awesome as Aquaman. He enjoys every moment on the camera. My man Willem Dafoe is in the movie too, though he is subject to the movie's only bad effects, that being de-aging his face. (Why'd they do that??) The script has some issues, it really hams up the cheesiness, but that is exactly what they're going for. This movie is going to really cheesy to some people, but just know that it's the filmmakers' intention.

There's also a romance between the two leads that feels so forced, that I just laughed whenever they brought it up.

Aquaman may not be the best DC film, but it is definitely my favorite one. Go watch it. It's worth it.

Spoilers below

Glass

A rather disappointing film that attempts to say something interesting about the comic industry but fails to say anything new. It felt as if none of the characters had much of an arc, which made the whole film feel pointless. Though the portrayal of people with DID is... not the best (and potentially harmful) McAvoy is undoubtedly entertaining. However Hedwig was utilised too much for my taste. The use of colour was quite good though, an under utilised aspect within the industry. Some of the dialogue was a little goofy at times. Also SPOILERS at the end of the film has a reveal that uses one of my least favourite tropes: the faceless organisation.

Aquaman
My goodness this movie was lllooooonnnnnngggg. It was certainly entertaining but the story was a little hollow. Mamoa is a delight to watch as he truly inhabits the role of Aquaman. Honestly, the film's plot draws comparison to the Lion King or Black Panther, just with extra padding and none of the thematic complexity. (It was certainly awesome to see a Chasmfiend on the big screen however). In spite of its colourful visuals, I never really felt any connection to Atlantis as a place. We never actually SEE any ordinary Atlanteans.

TANGENT:

Spoiler

Also Mera should have become queen of Atlantis. She was the bride of Ocean Master so obviously she and the daughter of a foreign king, she is undoubtedly more politically savvy than Arthur Curry. Curry would probably be better off in an advisory capacity. 

This isn't really a criticism of the film so much as it is a direction I wish the story had taken.

I don't wish to be overly negative about the film because it is certainly a fun ride, but in terms of story and character there's nothing all that innovate here. It's the equivalent of a large can of soft drink; sweet, no nutritional value and becomes a flat after a while. Still the second best DCEU film, though that's due to execution more than ambition.

Spider verse

A delight to watch. A cg animated film that dares to do something artistic and stylised with its animation! The characters were fun and the story moved a long at a good pace. It may be considered the 'best' in that is handles character, plot and theme better than any other Spiderman film except with how the villain is defeated. This film explores (explores, not deconstructs thankfully) who Spiderman is in a way we haven't seen since Spiderman 2. Spidernoir needs five spinoff movies. 

Threads (1984)

A horrifying look at what would happen if a nuclear war erupted and the effects it would have on ordinary people. This may be the most terrifying and disturbing film I have ever seen. This film is less of a story and more of an experience. I stumbled out of the house afterwards and gazed at the sky for a moment, just to remind myself that the sky could be blue and not just a void of ash and smoke. If you are going to watch this film, bring a teddy, I certainly wish I had.

The Good Place season 3

This show continues to be both entertaining and never loses sight of telling a good story and developing its characters. An excellent cosmic horror comedy. Though I hope it ends by season 5 at the latest, I'd hate for the show to go stale.

Daredevil season 3

I'll be honest, for me this is the Wilson Fisk show. I skipped season 2. Fortunately this season is more of a followup to season 1 so I still enjoyed it immensely. The fight choreography is excellent, I enjoyed the characters (new and old) and their plotlines. Fisk is the true highlight however, especially in the second half of the season when he's given more to do.

Doctor Who

So... I started Doctor Who. Eccleston was magnificent as the Doctor and I'm halfway through Tennant and he is FABULOUS. The quality between episodes is a little wonky at times, ranging from excellent (The Empty Child 2 parter, the girl in the Fireplace) to wonky and dull (Aliens of London, New Earth). But overall I really like the show.

Summer Camp Island

A delightful little animated show. The characters are very likable, there is a great sense of wonder and the art and colour pallete are delightful.

My Top 10 films of 2018:

Honorable Mentions: Bohemian Rhapsody, Isle of Dogs, Roma, The Other Side of the Wind

10. Green Book

9. Paddington 2

8. Avengers: Infinity War

7. The Favourite

6. Aquaman

5. Won't You Be My Neighbor?

4. Creed II

3. First Man

2. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

1. Mission: Impossible-Fallout

Oh, I love top tens. My top ten movies of 2018:

10. Crimes of Grindelwald

I kinda liked this pretty much, even though it had issues. Dumbledore was brilliant.

9. Ant-Man and the Wasp

I loved this at first, but it has kinda dropped a little because I saw it three times in quick succession. Still a hilarious movie.

8. Black Panther

A great movie, with a phenomenal villain and a complex story. Third act could be better though.

7.Deadpool 2

The first DP is average at best in my opinion, but this one is better. A stronger story, stronger characters, funnier and better action. Really enjoyed it.

6. Aquaman

I could see myself moving this to 8 after a rewatch, but I place it here now based on some really cool action, likeable characters, an interesting villain, worldbuilding and pure fun. Aquaman is exactly what it wants to be, which is great.

5. Solo: A Star Wars Story

When I first saw it, I thought it was good but not great, but my opinion has really changed. It is a fun space adventure in the vein of the originals, while still being its own thing. Sure, it plays safe, but it is still a great movie. Beckett, Nest and Dryden were really cool as well, and the relationship between Han and Q’ira was interesting.

4.  Ready Player One

This was really fun as well, with a cool message about gaming industry and nerd culture in general. Some of the action scenes were spectacular, and I really liked Art3mis. Mark Rylance gave a great performance as well.

3. Mortal Engines

The movie no one saw for some reason. I loved this. I loved the worldbuilding, I loved the visuals, I found the story engaging, and the relationship between Hester and Shrike is one of my favorite character relationships in a long time. The opening chase scene might be the best chase scene I have seen ever, in anything, and Hugo Weavings performance was very good.

2. Mission Impossible: Fallout

A brilliant action movie, from start to finish. Great performances from everyone (Henry Cavill was the standout) and epic stuntwork. The bathroom fight is nuts. And it also features a glorious moustache. 

1. Avengers: Infinity War

It couldn’t really be anything else. This movie really plays with the usual storytelling formulas of superhero movies, it twists it around in great ways, and delivers a stupid good ending, that impacted tons and tons of people. It is incredibly well-made in every way, and manages to be very funny, and very serious, at the same time. A lot of the moments and lines in this movie will be iconic. It also ties stuff together surprisingly well, and delivers a great villain in Thanos. 

Alright, so the Academy announced the Oscar nominations... let's just say I'm a little annoyed. This post will be going through the major categories and some of the other film ones, like Best Documentary. Another post shall cover my thoughts on the production ones. But first, let's get started with Best Picture!

Best Picture:

Black Panther, BlacKkKlansman, Bohemian Rhapsody, The Favourite, Green Book, Roma, A Star Is Born, and Vice

First off, I must question why Black Panther was nominated. I know that it was a massive hit everywhere, audience and critics, but....there are some major storytelling flaws, and some of the CGI is terrible. I'm not trying to sound racist, but the main reason Black Panther was such a huge hit was because of the African-American cast. I mean, Crazy Rich Asians was the first mainstream film to have a prominent Asian-American cast, but did it get recognized? No. Black Panther is a good movie, but is it that good? Eeeehhh, not really. I still really like it, but it has some flaws that I cannot forgive.

I have to applaud the Academy this year, because they actually have films this year that everyone went and saw, films that were successful both critically and commercially. This includes the aforementioned Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book. I hope that this lets the Academy realize not everybody likes arthouse films.

Should Have Been Nominated:

If Beale Street Could Talk

Will Win:

Roma or A Star Is Born

Should Win:

The Favourite

Best Director:

Spike Lee for BlacKkKlansman, Pawel Pawlikowski for Cold War, Yorgos Lanthimos for The Favourite, Alfonso Cuaron for Roma and Adam McKay for Vice

I don't really have any problems here, though there are some directors missing when people thought they would surely get a nod.

Damien Chazelle for First Man, Peter Farrelly for Green Book and Bradley Cooper for A Star Is Born

Will Win:

Alfonso Cuaron for Roma

Should Win:

Spike Lee for BlacKkKlansman

Best Actor:

Christian Bale for Vice, Bradley Cooper for A Star Is Born, Willem Dafoe for At Eternity's Gate, Rami Malek for Bohemian Rhapsody and Viggo Mortensen for Green Book

This is one of the categories where I honestly don't who will win. I would be fine with anyone winning in this one.

Ethan Hawke for First Reformed, Robert Redford for The Old Man & the Gun and Nicolas Cage for Mandy

Will Win:

Rami Malek for Bohemian Rhapsody or Viggo Mortensen for Green Book

Should Win:

Willem Dafoe for At Eternity's Gate

Best Actress:

Yalitza Aparicio for Roma, Glenn Close for The Wife, Olivia Colman for The Favourite, Lady Gaga for A Star Is Born, and Melissa McCarthy for Can You Ever Forgive Me?

I think everyone thought Lady Gaga was going to win all across the board, but then Glenn Close snuck up at the Golden Globes and snatched it away. So now, I'm kind of wondering who will win this.

Toni Collette for Hereditary

Will Win:

Glenn Close for The Wife or Lady Gaga for A Star Is Born

Should Win:

Olivia Colman for The Favourite or Melissa McCarthy for Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Best Supporting Actor:

Mahershala Ali for Green Book, Adam Driver for BlacKkKlansman, Sam Elliott for A Star Is Born, Richard E. Grant for Can You Ever Forgive Me? and Sam Rockwell for Vice

Nothing to say here.

Timothee Chalamet for Beautiful Boy, Steve Carell for Vice and Michael B. Jordan for Black Panther

Will Win:

Mahershala Ali for Green Book

Should Win:

Sam Elliott for A Star Is Born or Richard E. Grant for Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Best Supporting Actress:

Amy Adams for Vice, Marina de Tavira for Roma, Regina King for If Beale Street Could Talk, Emma Stone for The Favourite and Rachel Weisz for The Favourite

Having two actresses from The Favourite is an unfair advantage, but they should have found a way to put them together and give them one reward for their performances, because neither one works without the other.

Cynthia Erivo for Bad Times at the El Royale

Will Win:

Regina King for If Beale Street Could Talk

Should Win:

Regina King for If Beale Street Could Talk

I'm going to skip over the screenplay awards, but I am really happy that The Ballad of Buster Scruggs got nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay. It's a really fun movie, and it's on Netflix. Go check it out.

Best Animated Feature Film:

Incredibles 2, Isle of Dogs, Mirai, Ralph Breaks the Internet and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Hopefully, you all know what's going to win, and I totally agree with it. (Hopefully, the Academy doesn't screw up) However, I'm really glad that the Academy and the Globes nominated Mirai, directed by Mamoru Hosoda, one of the best directors working in anime today. This gives me hope that the Academy will acknowledge great anime films besides Studio Ghibli, because there are a lot of films that could have been recognized that weren't. Mirai does not have the chance of winning this year, but hopefully anime will have its chance to make a mark in the Academy.

The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl

Will Win:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Should Win:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Best Foreign Language Film:

Capernaum (Lebanon), Cold War (Poland), Never Look Away (Germany), Roma (Mexico) and Shoplifters (Japan)

If Roma wins Best Picture, they should give this award to a different film. But if not, Roma will probably win this one.

Burning (South Korea)

Will Win:

Roma (Mexico)

Should Win:

Cold War (Poland) or Never Look Away (Germany)

Best Documentary-Feature:

Free Solo, Hale County This Morning, Minding the Gap, Of Fathers and Sons and RBG

Okay, I'm really mad about this, because the Academy snubbed the biggest documentary of the year, and the only one that people bothered to go see, and to top it off, was FREAKING AMAZING. This is why the Oscars annoy me so much.

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Will Win:

Free Solo

Should Win:

RBG or Minding the Gap

That's it for now. Production awards will be coming soon.