5 hours ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

I'll be getting a tuition reduction out of Mage, because if he's already been to the Horns, why not again?;)

But seriously, don't take this seriously. This is C1, in which we have very little information, except what often misleading scraps we glean from the slightest fluctuation in grammar.

Are you implying that your reasons for voting on Mage are primarily information gathering? Voting literally gives us 0 information. The best sources of information is our investigative roles, not lynching.

Also, as has already been mentioned, you don't really need the tuition reduction.

I know you've changed your vote, but both posts didn't seem to go into it that much. If you have the time, I would invite you to reconsider, given how few other people have voted.

There's only an hour left in the cycle. Sigh... Not much chance of stopping all these votes, even if they'll have a net negative effect...

And at this point, spreading out the votes probably mitigates the negative effects of the existing votes.

I'm considering casting a vote, despite promising that I wouldn't... Ugh.

No, I think enough votes have already been cast that you don't need one from me. I refuse to participate in this.

3 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

I wonder what the food is like here…

-----------------------

@Burnt Spaghetti

Was this a pun?? :P:P

32 minutes ago, little wilson said:

Not entirely true. Most of the fields you're referring to, like Alchemy and Physicking, only give you skills based on how many times you've been elevated in that specific field. If you're an El'the, but you've only been elevated once in Alchemy, sure, you can make bonetar, but don't expect it to have the risks associated with a third elevation. It has the first upgrade risks because you've only been in Alchemy for a short period of time. The vast majority of the fields are like that: the more you dedicate yourself to that field, the more powerful you get. If you spread out, you'll have more options available to you, but the power will be lacking. There will be far more risks associated with those abilities because you only have a cursory knowledge of the subject.

I may only be a Cealdish Commoner, but if you want to get the tuition reduction, I'm staying at the Golden Pony, so I can take two votes and not have to worry about the Masters. Just don't do more than two.

I PMed our GMs about this before the game started.

If you elevate once in alchemy, to E'lir, and then once in mathematics, to Re'lar...

You only get one alchemy ability, but it is the Re'lar tier version of that ability. (you also get Re'lar level insanity bonus for alchemy)

I'm not saying point-splitting is necessarily better or worse than investing all in one field. Personally, I'll be investing all in one field. But some people may want to consider point splitting.

Anyways... I was planning on writing a quick RP at the end, but I seem to be running out of time. End post.

wilson I forgot that I had two votes, so. and @Drake Marshall I interpreted Hemalurgic's vote on Mage to be solely for the tuition reduction/up the vote tally. I think what he was referring to in the info part was that he was just voting for Mage at random /because/ there is no suspicious information to actually cast a real complaint D1.@Hemalurgic_Headshot could you better clarify your reasoning for your vote? 

54 minutes ago, little wilson said:

I may only be a Cealdish Commoner, but if you want to get the tuition reduction, I'm staying at the Golden Pony, so I can take two votes and not have to worry about the Masters. Just don't do more than two.

little wilson

thank you for your sacrifice

24 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

If you elevate once in alchemy, to E'lir, and then once in mathematics, to Re'lar...

You only get one alchemy ability, but it is the Re'lar tier version of that ability. (you also get Re'lar level insanity bonus for alchemy)

I'm not saying point-splitting is necessarily better or worse than investing all in one field. Personally, I'll be investing all in one field. But some people may want to consider point splitting.

El asked me specifically about that yesterday, so I would clarify with them again because I think that might be different now. :)

Vote tally:

Stick(1): Paranoid King

DA(1): Paranoid King

Magestar(1): Alvron

Paranoid King(1): Alvron

Alvron(1): Magestar

Queensteph(2): Sart, Wilson

HH(1): DA

Ornstein(1): HH

Burnt spaghetti(1): Queensteph

Arinian(1): Randuir

Randuir(1): Straw

Brightness Radiant(1): BurntSpaghetti

Wilson (1): Stink

Cluny(1): Eolhondras

(I Ninja'd Stink's vote on wilson.) @little wilson I was trying to even things out since not everyone has voted and there's only a few minutes left, I'll just put my second vote on someone if no one else adds a vote before the turn is over. I wasn't even thinking about the tuitions.

Edited by queensteph
added wilson's vote

10 hours ago, randuir said:

Let's see. if you post both cycles, send PM's both cycles and vote both cycles that's already a 2.5 talent reduction, If I'm not wrong. Spend half a  cycle in Imre and try for talent pipes, and that's down another talent. Impress a master in the other turn (I suppose that means 'get elevated', right?) and you're down another talent. If you then just post 11 pieces of decent RP, you're done. It would take some planning and preparation, but it can be pulled off.

Oh, I'm not saying it's impossible. Just hard. The lowest anyone ever got last game was 2.6, which was actually me, C1. I didn't try for talent pipes or complain (which is odd, though makes sense given my past self), and only RPed 10 times (which was a lot). So it's totally possible. Just difficult enough that no one's managed thus far. 

9 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

For the second one does it cost EP as well to study @Elbereth? Or does it just cost the full term action thing.

I believe that if you have EP in the field and are choosing the action, it costs EP as it usually would. If you're picking a random field in which you don't have EP, then it doesn't cost anything but the action slots.

2 hours ago, randuir said:

We should also take into account that some of the people currently being voted on could be staying at the golden pony, which reduces their amount of votes by 1 for the purposes of DP (and so with 1 vote, they won't get considered at all)(this is correct, right, @Elbereth? I couldn't figure out anything else the 'secret vote' could be referring to). The people that could currently be staying there are: Stick, DA, PK, HH and Ornstein and Arinian. There is a minimum of 4 people that could get the master's 40 DP divided among them. At 10 DP each, that would give them all a 50% chance of lashings, while if they where to get more than 10, they'll start facing a risk of expulsion. Since the chance of everyone retracting their votes is quite small at this point, I'd urge everyone to make sure to vote instead. I'd recommend making sure all the nobles have 1 vote first, then the yllish commoners, then make sure the alturans have 2 votes each (as they can stay at the golden pony). After that, either vote on the caeldish or add second votes to yllish commoners, as they too can start at the golden pony (I know I did).

It reduces 1 DP from your total, yes. Before the Masters add DP. Given that each vote is only .5 DP, you can actually have two votes before you're considered. 

1 hour ago, Straw said:

Joe, just make graphs about stuff in this game! ChartGo is great for making graphs!

BTW: Are we allowed to talk with others during the 12 hour rollover?

No. 

39 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

15 minutes ago, little wilson said:

El talked me specifically about that yesterday, so I would clarify with them again because I think that might be different now. :)

Wilson is correct. (You can usually assume she is. :P She made this game.) And I am correct. :P If you look at several fields - take Alchemy, for instance. You'll see that each item can be made by only a certain tier. So, Plum Bobs can only be made by Re'lars. At the same time, there are first level through master level upgrades for each ability. These level upgrades are not E'lir-Re'lar-etc, but how many times you have been elevated in that field. So if you're elevated twice in Linguistics and then once in Alchemy, you can make Bone Tar but you only have the first level upgrade for it. But if you're upgraded in Alchemy 3 times, you can make bone-tar with the third level upgrade. Does that make sense? 

Locke Alveron smiled. He was finally at the university, soon to discover the secrets of the arcane arts. Such power - the ability to change things. Locke had plans, of course. He didn't really believe this nonsense about Skindancers, and fully intended to work out why such a deception was being propagated. Locke sighed. We wasn't going to let it get in the way of his ambition, though. He had a continent to subdue. People frequently called him insane, with unhealthy levels of ambition, and a disregard for pathetic ideals like democracy.... Although they were probably right, on a number of those counts.

That didn't really matter, though. With the power Locke planned to obtain, the beliefs of the populace could safely be ignored, as was entirely right and proper. To allow the people influence, decision making... There lay the road to ruin. Locke would see Vint prosper, and ensure security for the populace. 

Eventually... Lessons to attend, first...

Wilson - with Steph's withdrawal, I think this is safe?

Also! I forgot to mention it in the post above. Impressing a Master does not mean being elevated. It just means putting EP into a field. 

Just now, little wilson said:

Or higher. You have to be at least a Re'lar to make that.

Yes. Sorry. Should've been clearer. 

LG33: Term 1, Month 2 - Nothing

Ryth sat, alone, in the room at his inn, thinking about the Chancellor’s speech again. It had been weeks, but he thought about it a lot still. The meaning of life…

There had to be a meaning. So why couldn’t Ryth find it? He was bright, a student of the University, with access to the greatest collection of books in the world. Every ancient philosopher was there. But their answers… nothing made sense, nothing was applicable. Friendship, love, happiness, were foreign concepts. Existing for its own sake held no appeal. What value, therefore, was there in life? 

None.

So, when the Skindancers found him, he was easy to crack. All it took was a few words, and he was even willing to go insane. After all, he didn’t have to think about the meaning of life anymore. Insanity was far easier to bear. 

Noremac stood before the Horns, looking distractedly at Chancellor Varda. “I don’t know, Chancellor? I was just walking along when suddenly the banana caught flame and my cloak nearly caught fire too and… you know the rest.”

The Chancellor nodded and sighed. “You may go. Thank you.”

As he left, she said, “Bring in Queensteph and Stick together. No point in giving them the same punishment separately.”

The two came in sheepishly and waited for judgement.

“You two have been rather unwise,” Varda commented, frowning in exasperation at them. They hadn’t technically broken the rules, but they’d been fair idiots in not doing so. “You are heretofore charged with Reckless Use of Sympathy, and are to receive ten lashes at noon tomorrow. We represent the height of learning, here. Students must be dignified and respectful of their peers, and careful with the arts they have learned. You were not.”

“But-” Queensteph began.

“Our decision is final. You are lucky that it is not more.”

“Yes, Chancellor,” they said in unison, then looked at each other and burst out laughing. 

Varda sighed. Kids these days.

Silverblade has gone insane! 
Hemalurgic Headshot was brought on the Horns, but charges were dropped!
Queensteph and Stick were both brought on the Horns and charged with Reckless Use of Sympathy!

Term 1, Month 2 has begun. You have 36 hours to send in all actions (sabotages, Imre, lodging, impressing). 

blu_1493748000.png

Player List
1. Queensteph - Vintish Noblewoman 
2. Randuir (Telar Pike) - Yllish Commoner
3. Hemalurgic Headshot (Noremac Quwester) - Aturan Nobleman 
4. Aonar (Aodhan Breacadh) - Edema Ruh
5. Wilson (Sloan Walker) -  Cealdish Commoner
6. Straw (Medicus Novis) - Yllish Commoner
7. Paranoid King (William Opuscule) - Yllish Commoner
8. Ornstein (John Springer) - Aturan Nobleman
9. Jondesu (Vell) - Yllish Commoner
10. Drake Marshall (Greyson) - Cealdish Commoner
11. Assassin in Burgundy (Jurdaan Longfell) -  Yllish Commoner
12. Burnt Spaghetti (Dele Fajro) - Vintish Noblewoman
13. Orlok (Locke Alveron) - Cealdish Commoner
14. Magestar (Magestar) - Vintish Nobleman
15. Alvron (Stryker Nox) - Cealdish Commoner
16. Arinian (Darian) - Aturan Nobleman
17. Stick (Stick) - Aturan NobleStick
18. Darkness Ascendant (Balthazar Myrrh) - Yllish Commoner
19. Cluny the Scourge (Cluny) - Aturan Nobleman
20. Silverblade (Ryth) - Cealdish Commoner Insane
21. Amanuensis (Esuan) - Yllish Commoner
22. BrightnessRadiant (Amelia) - Aturan Noblewoman
23. Eolhondras (Eolah) - Yllish Commoner
24. STINK - Yllish Commoner
25. Hael (Glavion) - Edema Ruh
26. Sart (Titud) - Edema Ruh
27. Joe (Chalks) - Yllish Commoner

Edited by Elbereth

Interesting...

I suppose the voting last cycle is your own business, seeing as I neither cast nor received a vote last cycle. But perhaps my position makes more sense now... You weren't about to eliminate the risks of RNG putting some people on the horns.

As for voting this cycle... I suppose voting on a genuine suspicion this turn is a good idea. Voter participation isn't quite so critical in this game, where lynches don't reveal alignment, but actual discussion about suspicions might prove enlightening. I wouldn't vote for no reason though. Try to find a real suspicion to vote on this cycle, even if its a very weak one. We still have a chance at learning information from a lynch, if we treat it like a real lynch.

I'm wondering if we have much to talk about honestly... If my read of this game is correct, it seems like the major staple of information is supposed to be abilities (well, and whatever you can speculate / extrapolate from people's general behavior, their "gut read" as it were). I'm not sure that we have very much information to work with yet (but I do recommend discussing whatever you can, 'cause that gives us more information).

I guess the next step forward is... Everyone work on advancing in fields and becoming financially secure. That's probably one of the most important things a villager can do to help village right now.

I'll try and cut my tuition with lots of RP... In the morning. Goodnight everyone.

Edited by Drake Marshall

24 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

I suppose the voting last cycle is your own business, seeing as I neither cast nor received a vote last cycle. But perhaps my position makes more sense now... You weren't about to eliminate the risks of RNG putting some people on the horns.

Actually, bringing more people up would have reduced the risk of RNG getting someone into trouble (if you're splitting 40 points randomly over 10 people, the risk of anyone getting 5 or more is less than if you're splitting over 8). I was actually somewhat suspicious of the way you brought that up last turn, but I doubt you'd have attracted attention to it again if it was an elim ploy to seem active but abstain from voting.

I'm staying at the golden pony for at least the rest of this turn, so if an Edema Ruh does not have a suspicion to vote on, I can take 1 vote without suffering consequences. This offer does not extend past the Edema (or caeldish commoners).

I'll put RP up in a bit.

Edit: Also, @Elbereth, the four elevation ranks are E'lir>Re'lar>el'the> master. However, can you get more than 4 elevations (for example, 2 elevations in 1 field, and 3 in another)?

Edit2: also, since the masters got the lists of EP from the end of last turn, and make a decision this turn, does it only affect last turns EP? Say I've put 2 EP in a field, and put 5 more this turn, and I also get elevated in that field this turn, will I have 5 EP left in that field, or 2?

Edited by randuir

Um owie. why the heck are students being lashed on campus????????? i need a #safespace https://youtu.be/77sS5IuR0Gs :P

Request Tag : reckless? more like reckYES  

It stinks but I mean it's better then being expelled/conduct unbecoming. So thanks guys for putting in votes last cycle.

(even if you were all mostly doing it to lower tuition) :ph34r:

I agree that I don't think we shouldn't cast random votes this time, but isn't that normal for D2?

We just did randoms on D1 to lower tuitions/even the DP.

I can't PM anyone for this turn(since my actions are blocked from my reckless behavior), but if anyone wants to start a PM with me feel free and I'll reply next cycle (maybe ;)).

@Elbereth Can a player with their actions on hold still go to Imre? I wasn't quite sure what counts as an 'action'.

Edited by queensteph
added video link

Hmph

i should've voted on someone after all >>

10 minutes ago, queensteph said:

@Elbereth Can a player with their actions on hold still go to Imre? I wasn't quite sure what counts as an 'action'.

Yeah, I'm not sure if voting counts as an action