OMG I typed so much and it all disappeared after I hit 'view new post'...looks at HH accusingly

13 hours ago, Paranoid King said:

Game related discussion, hmm? Well then.

I would recommend that people not get offended if someone votes on them D1.

• Nobody has any real suspicions by this point, but voting reduces tuition, so it's good for the person voting.
  • The more people are voted on, the more spread out the votes are. Therefore, it's good for the people who were previously voted on.
  • On that note, Stick. You're looking rather brown today. An inborn disease? Or are you a skindancer who didn't look in the mirror this morning?

Gasp. How dare you? Do you have any idea how rich I am? I AM OFFEND. An offended Noblestick.

Jk :P But as rand said, you don't seem to be in need of much money - you're a Ylish Commoner. Unless you're staying at Anker's and want to change that since you're super paranoid (ha) about your actions failing? Actions, like, say, Sabotage?

This isn't much, I'm aware. But, hey, it's D1. I'm not voting yet though because I'm too rich to do that. I'll see who others vote on, and consider all options

edit: ninja'd by like, two people. Thank Heavens I didn't hit view new posts this time

Edited by _Stick_

16 minutes ago, randuir said:

HH, you're a noble. You don't need those 5 jots from the tuition reduction. If you, for some reason, decide you do need it, might I suggest voting on someone else that hasn't got any votes instead (and preferable a noble), so that the chances of anyone being taken on the horns decreases?

As your current action will only serve to harm the village, at no great gain to yourself. Unless you're a skindancer, of course.

Oh, sorry. I didn't see that Mage had already procured a vote. Must've missed that when I was skimming through the thread.

A Noble, you say? Ornstein per chance?

For calculation tuition: (all money is in drabs)

1,000 - (Post once in thread: 100) - (Good discussion: 5x) - (Good RP: 50x) - (Impress a master: 100) - (File a complaint: 50) - (Send messages: 50) - (Sell an item: 5) - (Purchase from Apothecary: 50-100) - (Placing request on Black Market: 50-200) - (Try for Talent Pipes: 100) - (Fufill Black Market contract: 50) + (>74% of communication in messages: 100) + (>85% of communication in messages: 100) + (>90% of communication in messages: 100) + (>95% of communication in messages: 100) +  (Complaints against you: 10x) + (Brought on the Horns: 200) - (Not RPing a public apology: 200) + (Re'lar: 100) + (El'the: 200) + (If Master: Don't post in thread: 300) + (If Master: Don't elevate a student: 100) + (If Master: Don't use any actions for the term: 400) + (If Vintish Nobleman: 33% of tuition) - (If Master: 25% of tuition) - (If ability: Decreased tuition: 10% of tuition) = Final Tuition 

Edited by Straw

Balthazar Myrrh. Now that’s a name you don’t hear often, probably due to the fact he isn’t seen around much. He’s your aver-no he isn't. What you think you might know about him, discount it right now, because it’s probably something he wants you to think. Don’t tell anyone I’m telling you this, but he’s a Skindancer. Trust me. I know these things.

Helps that I am him.

Oi, What the hell are you trying to do going about sabotagin me? This here Institution thing is good for us. I mean, if we want to someday rule the world, we gots to get an education amirite?

To be sure, to be sure, to be sure.

Balthazar clutched his forehead and hissed at a random person walking past him, odd looks all around. He scribbled this down as he walked down through the fields of the Institution narrating what was happening around him. Term had started and he still wasn’t sure what he wanted to study. One thing he wanted to make sure. I am not a Myrmidon, he wrote. Yes, keep that in mind folks. I am not a Myrmidon. Not an ant person. Not a follower. Not oily at all. Just Myrrh, Balthazar Myrrh.

And he really needed to get to his lodging and settle in.

“Artificers...we need some of those, hm, who wants to be one I wonder, they could set up a roaring trade...insanity all around...Naming, Alchemy, interesting...Physicking, useful all around is everything, Sympathy, Archives...mhm yes, maybe...Rhetoric and Logic, like we need logic in our lives ha….manipulation and persuasion...politics, politics, politics...Arithmetics, passive uses...ahh Linguistics...a fun, fun world”

He walked down the pathway to the Golden Pony, passing students of fair noble stock and some of those Yllish Commoners and rabble, didn’t help that he was a Commoner himself, despite considering himself well above and beyond their station. He recognised a few faces...these people, he had read about them somewhere, seen photos of them. Interesting, could be related to all the whispers there were about, of shadows and siblings, of skindancers and skullduggery. But no, he had to focus on his studies.

That’s right boy, learn what you need. Rise up.

He shook his head and scribbled down some more stuff, nearly bumping into one of the other students  (anyone can respond)

Once Dele was satisfied her coughs were done, she neatened her papers and books and looked around. As she began to walk off, another student walked by her, almost colliding into her. Watch it you fool. she muttered under her breath. She smiled somewhat pleasantly instead at him however. “Ahh, Balthazar...Myrrh?” She said, her eye twitching as she fumbled with the pronunciation of his last name. She clicked her fingers to the syllables of his name as she did so to help her focus on the words. Her research involved knowing about who the other students around her would be, and she recognised his face from one of her many notations. She wondered about this name though, and flipped through her notes to find her page on him. As she did so, she vaguely noted him asking after her own name. “Dele Farjo.” Her voice was quiet and distracted. Where was that page….  Her fingers tapped the back of her notebook furiously as she searched. Aha. There. Balthazar Myrrh… mhm…. Ok...yep...interesting. Huh? What's this? There was a note in that file with a sticky note on it saying to give it to him if she ran into him. Hm. Okay. i likely should have memorised its contents. Ah well. She shoved it at him. “Anyway, here”.  She flicked back to the page she’d originally been on, and  noted the time, so hurried off before he could respond.

He scowled at her, and she smiled, “Ahh, Balthazar...Myrrh?”, her eye twitched as she said his last name, he furiously wrote down what she did. She appeared to click her fingers with every syllable, adding a sort of..rhythm to her words.

Has a problem with my name does she…

“That would be me, yes, I think, Sure, why not?”, he scribbled down what he had just said, narrating these very words as he spoke to her stiffly, keeping his eyes on her carefully as he wrote without looking, “Who would be inquiring as to what my identity should be?”

“Dele Farjo,” she said quietly, looking around furtively, her perfectly filed fingernails now thrumming her notebook as she spoke...perhaps not in time to her words, but to her heartbeat. And for good reason, her name wasn’t always on the best of tongues.

Aah one of the upstuck rich kids…

“Anyway, here,” she said quickly, thrusting a piece of paper into his hands, he looked down and raised an eyebrow at it, and as he looked up to question her. She was gone. He wrote down the sudden occurrence, putting away the note for later and entered the plush but minimal establishment. He would be staying here for the duration of his studies here, better get used to the conditions here. Wouldn’t hear his parent’s voices for a long time. Good thing too, he narrated to his little notebook. He was going through these quite quickly, perhaps he ought to get a stack of fresh ones. He’d be writing fair bit during his stay after all.

I wonder what the food is like here…

-----------------------

@Burnt Spaghetti

@Ornstein@Amanuensis, @A Joe in the Bush, @Silverblade5, @Eolhondras, none of you have posted in the thread yet. Also, with the exception of Ornstein, none of you are Nobles, so it would be in your interest to be active. Also remember that EP doesn't carry over between turns.

There are currently 9 people with votes on them. This means that they'll on average get 5 DP from the masters. Guess what? That's enough to get them all brought up on the horns. As I think it's somewhat unlikely all these votes will get retracted, if we don't want a bunch of people taking a bad hit in the first turn there should be more votes spread around. On that front, Arinian. I'm voting on you because you are among the players that would be least affected by a 2 talent increase in your tuition.

We should also take into account that some of the people currently being voted on could be staying at the golden pony, which reduces their amount of votes by 1 for the purposes of DP (and so with 1 vote, they won't get considered at all)(this is correct, right, @Elbereth? I couldn't figure out anything else the 'secret vote' could be referring to). The people that could currently be staying there are: Stick, DA, PK, HH and Ornstein and Arinian. There is a minimum of 4 people that could get the master's 40 DP divided among them. At 10 DP each, that would give them all a 50% chance of lashings, while if they where to get more than 10, they'll start facing a risk of expulsion. Since the chance of everyone retracting their votes is quite small at this point, I'd urge everyone to make sure to vote instead. I'd recommend making sure all the nobles have 1 vote first, then the yllish commoners, then make sure the alturans have 2 votes each (as they can stay at the golden pony). After that, either vote on the caeldish or add second votes to yllish commoners, as they too can start at the golden pony (I know I did).

Vote tally:

Stick(1): Paranoid King

DA(1): Paranoid King

Magestar(1): Alvron

Paranoid King(1): Alvron

Alvron(1): Magestar

Queensteph(1): Sart

HH(1): DA

Ornstein(1): HH

Burnt spaghetti(1): Queensteph

Arinian(1): Randuir

Edited by randuir

Medicus decided to write a note.

Dear People,

Currently, you're being a tad bit boring! How about spicing it up with a bit of drama? You! Balthazar Myrrh! I'm your father! Dele Farjo! You killed my father! Prepare to die! There, much better. I might as well complain about Randuir because I get a reduction to tuition for complaining about people. I don't know why I get rewarded for whining but it works out in my favor!

From, Medicus

Edited by Straw
Spelling

4 hours ago, randuir said:

As I understand it after Wilson's clarification, the masters wile each distribute 5 DP among those that have votes on them. NPC masters will do this randomly, player masters can pick. So if only 1 person gets voted on, the masters will together unload 40 DP on that person, enough to expel them twice over. If there are two people being voted on the expected value is that both get 20DP (still enough for expulsion). The more people get votes, the more this gets diluted. but if only a couple of votes go out for tuition reduction or poking people, these few unlucky individuals are going to be in a lot of trouble. At the moment, 6 people have votes (Magestar, Alvron, PK, stick, DA and Queensteph) which means each will get about 6-7 DP, which lands each of them on the Horns, with the accompanying serious tuition increase.

In other words, if you are just voting randomly to decrease your tuition, but not everyone is doing the same, you're seriously hampering the power of some villagers(possibly an elim, but those chances with random votes are about 20% or less), as they lose either money, EP or both, and can get role-blocked due to lashings.

Yeah, I realized this by the end of my post. :P  I probably should have included that.  I will take my vote off of Alv if he takes his vote off of me.  @Alvron.   But I'd rather risk distributing the damage then I would having it all get dumped on me.  

Thanks for the analysis of these things, Rand.  It's increasing my understanding of the game. :P 

Cluny, I guess because you're a noble with no other vote on you. No other reasoning there.

Still finding my feet in this expanse of a game and am generally quite a reactive player anyway. It almost feels like I'm playing an solo RPG rather than team elimination. I'm interested to know about how much the PM restrictions limited PM use in the previous iteration of this game? What was the communication distribution like?

50 minutes ago, randuir said:

@Ornstein@Amanuensis, @A Joe in the Bush, @Silverblade5, @Eolhondras, none of you have posted in the thread yet. Also, with the exception of Ornstein, none of you are Nobles, so it would be in your interest to be active. Also remember that EP doesn't carry over between turns

It's hard to really find something to post about, other than to just randomly vote for people to get a tuition reduction. I'm waiting, and watching for now. And will post again once i Figure out what I can post about.

1 hour ago, queensteph said:

BurntSpaghetti bless u orlok and straw (sorry burnt)

Dont worry bout it :) i can afford it if i get the tuition penalty. Rather me than someone who cant.  (As long as its not too often heh :P

I dont need the tuition reduction, but should i just vote on someone anyways to help the dp spread or are there enough options as it is for now?

11 minutes ago, Burnt Spaghetti said:

Dont worry bout it :) i can afford it if i get the tuition penalty. Rather me than someone who cant.  (As long as its not too often heh :P

I dont need the tuition reduction, but should i just vote on someone anyways to help the dp spread or are there enough options as it is for now?

I'd say we need more votes at the moment. I believe there are 10 people up for DP atm, provided the Golden pony doesn't block any of them, which means some people might still get in trouble. Depending on how many people are staying at the pony, it could get worse for those who aren't.

Edited by randuir

10 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

You are quite right about only needing 1 point. In addition, if you invest in multiple fields, you can get high tier abilities in all of your fields by advancing only once in each of them. This makes splitting your points in multiple fields potentially rather powerful.

Not entirely true. Most of the fields you're referring to, like Alchemy and Physicking, only give you skills based on how many times you've been elevated in that specific field. If you're an El'the, but you've only been elevated once in Alchemy, sure, you can make bonetar, but don't expect it to have the risks associated with a third elevation. It has the first upgrade risks because you've only been in Alchemy for a short period of time. The vast majority of the fields are like that: the more you dedicate yourself to that field, the more powerful you get. If you spread out, you'll have more options available to you, but the power will be lacking. There will be far more risks associated with those abilities because you only have a cursory knowledge of the subject.

I may only be a Cealdish Commoner, but if you want to get the tuition reduction, I'm staying at the Golden Pony, so I can take two votes and not have to worry about the Masters. Just don't do more than two.

Telar Pike was sitting under a tree on the university ground, reading a book and feeling tired. His first month at the university had been busy, with a lot of new experiences. It was raining now, but he couldn’t force himself to remain inside, and the tree was keeping him dry while he studied. He was currently working through a treatise about the use of language in petitions to the Aturan court, and how specific word choices could increase the chances of a request being granted. Dry stuff, mostly, but not uninteresting. At least it didn’t contain pictures and vivid descriptions of the sores, boils and rashes that where characteristic of the Caeldan flu.

Telar sighed, then got up. He needed to go and get some food, as studying on an empty stomach didn’t work. He started walking back to the inn after packing his book away securely. He saw other people hurrying around, trying to get out of the rain, but the rain didn’t bother him. As he walked, he thought back on the events at the start of the month. In the first week or so, a lot of people were talking about those ‘Skindancers’, but as time went on that conversation topic seemed to disappear, and what he assumed was the usual gossip had returned. Telar had been happy to hear that, as in the first week he'd actually started to get worried. However, since no one talked about the creatures anymore, Telar assumed they where just some made-up phenomenon, or if they weren't, that the threat had passed.

Im voting for Silverblade(I know that vote should be in red. But right now i have horrible internet connection, so i just hope that gms will count my vote)(I wasted more then 30 minutes to post that cause my internet dropped couple times, and i doubt that it will get better so thats all from me on this turn):wacko: sorry.