To my future self,

I write as a record to you, that you may look back, comfortable in your palaces, secure in your power, and recall the journey that brought you to your strength and majesty.

It has been an interesting month, at the University. It has become apparent that my fellow students, and the masters, are not immediately recognising my inherent superiority and right to rule, and so I have had to begin doing this the hard way. 

There are a number of associations at the university, on a breadth of incredibly esoteric subjects. Why anyone was remotely interested in discussing trivialities and menial topics like music and dance, I will never understand, but I suppose it does occupy the masses. I have elected to join societies on governance, economics, and philosophy, and have offered myself up as secretary of the first. Where better to coalesce a body of single minded and easily moulded acolytes than a University, impressionable and rebellious as students are, and indeed what better way to control these bodies than through controlling their membership?

I have begun sowing the seeds of revolution amongst my fellow lodgers here at the Golden Pony. They profess disinterest, and often make their excuses mid-conversation. I understand, though, that they seek only solitude, in which to appreciate the beauty of my ideas, and know that they will join me, as believers in my wisdom before too long.

With great admiration, and the warmest regards,

Locke Alveron, in our second month at the University.

Thoughts on the game to come, but I've been focusing on trying to get over my fear of writing RP.

Amelia sat in the library, going over the myriad of notes she had gathered on the other students over the past month. It seemed like so long ago since the first mention of skindancers at the school. Everyone seemed to have moved on, simply dismissing the announcement as a tale to scare the new students. That, or they just didn't want to talk about it because they were really afraid, and suspicious of their fellow students. Kind of like me, Amelia thought. She knew the skindancers were real though. Corrin had personally told her the stories. They were probably just waiting to strike until the students had eased into a comfortable feeling of safety. She wouldn't be the one to let her guard down.

"Did you here about Ryth?"

"No. What happened?"

"They say he went completely nutso. Had to be taken to the crockery."

"What?! Really?"

"Yeah, but honestly he never seemed that stable to begin with. I heard that he..."

Amelia's ears perked up. Several students at a nearby table were whispering. She hadn't been listening intentionally, but had overheard part of their conversation. Had they just said something about Ryth....going insane? It seemed to early in the school year for someone to crack from dangerous studies. This was it. The skindancers were making their move, and she had better be ready.

Busy today. My sis is visiting today...so I won't be as active until later this evening.

Okay, so the voting didn't go so well. That was why I hadn't wanted to vote on the first turn. But I suppose it could've been worse.

@Paranoid King I won't berate you for starting the voting, considering you've had a good dose of that already. :P I didn't agree with the idea of voting on the first turn, but I'm not gonna say that you are definitely an Elim just because of that. It's not like we didn't learn anything from the first vote. It just wasn't ideal. 

I was disappointed by having some of my EP taken away, but that's life I suppose. :P I am also staying at the golden pony this turn if any of the Edema or Cealdish need a vote for tuition reduction. I would prefer that you not vote on me just for that, but that you would try to place a vote on someone you find suspicious. However, if you really can't find anyone suspicious, or just don't have time to catch up on the thread before the end of the cycle...feel free to place your vote on me. (of course if you think I'm suspicious, then you should vote for me too, right? :lol:)

I think we probably should start voting on every turn now that we have a lot more posts to analyze in the thread. Please just place your votes carefully. We don't want good students getting expelled by careless votes. 

I'll be back on later, once I've had a chance to analyze everyone's posts and see if there is anything real suspicious yet. ;) Probably post more RP too.

Telar was heading home from a psychology course when he heard his name. The wind was blowing some pieces of a conversation from further down the street over to him. He strained to hear more. "...Pike's been quite helpful to that new student..." "... Wonder if he's hiding something...trying to get in people's good graces..." "...Skindancer?"

Telar couldn't believe what he was hearing. Someone was thinking he might be a skindancer because he'd been trying to be helpful? That was just... no, not unbelievable. He remembered the introductory speech of the master physicker for the basic psychology course. 'The human mind might seem complex and mysterious, but through proper study the cause of every stray thought and surprising act can be determined. In the field of psychology, you'll learn about this to help those troubled by problems of the mind.'

Telar quickly leafed through his book on psychology. He was pretty sure he had read about something that could cause these students to suspect him. There, on page 568. "Hunger-induced paranoia". Now if he could just get them to eat a good meal, he'd be sure they'd stop worrying about him.

...On second thought, maybe telling them that they needed to eat more would be counter-productive. Telar sighed and walked on towards the inn. He just hoped this wouldn't turn into trouble for him.

Anyway, don't worry about me having gotten at tuition raise because of my activity in PM's. I'd somehow managed to post even more in the thread (no Lopen, I'm sure you counted correctly, no need to double-check).

53 minutes ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

I was disappointed by having some of my EP taken away, but that's life I suppose. :P I am also staying at the golden pony this turn if any of the Edema or Cealdish need a vote for tuition reduction. I would prefer that you not vote on me just for that, but that you would try to place a vote on someone you find suspicious. However, if you really can't find anyone suspicious, or just don't have time to catch up on the thread before the end of the cycle...feel free to place your vote on me. (of course if you think I'm suspicious, then you should vote for me too, right? :lol:)

Wait, how come you lost EP if you where staying at the Pony? You only had 1 vote last turn, if I'm not mistaken, which the pony would have cancelled out. You are aware that lodgings are per term, not per turn, right? If you indicated you wanted to switch to the pony, that'll go in next turn, not this one.

Also, @Amanuensis, it's a shame to see you bowing out of the game, but as usual RL stuff comes first.

Edited by randuir

1 minute ago, randuir said:

Wait, how come you lost EP if you where staying at the Pony? You only had 1 vote last turn, if I'm not mistaken, which the pony would have cancelled out. You are aware that lodgings are per term, not per turn, right? If you indicated you wanted to switch to the pony, that'll go in next turn, not this one.

Staying at the Pony cancels out DP (given by masters,) not votes (given by students,) IIRC. So if someone gets 1 vote, and as a result gets 3 DP from the masters, the Pony would cancel out one of those DP, not the vote.

3 minutes ago, randuir said:

Wait, how come you lost EP if you where staying at the Pony? You only had 1 vote last turn, if I'm not mistaken, which the pony would have cancelled out. You are aware that lodgings are per term, not per turn, right? If you indicated you wanted to switch to the pony, that'll go in next cturn, not this one.

Oh snap you're right! I'm not at the pony right now but will be next cycle! @randuir you're a life saver :blink:

So I suppose my post about voting on me freely will apply next cycle y'all! :P

2 minutes ago, Paranoid King said:

Staying at the Pony cancels out DP (given by masters,) not votes (given by students,) IIRC. So if someone gets 1 vote, and as a result gets 3 DP from the masters, the Pony would cancel out one of those DP, not the vote.

Actually, I asked Elbereth about this last turn, and she said this:

It reduces 1 DP from your total, yes. Before the Masters add DP. Given that each vote is only .5 DP, you can actually have two votes before you're considered.

Cluny ate a banana. He immediately hid the peel, because being seen with a banana was very suspicious around here. He ought to go get another banana from [Spoiler Alert], but he was busy. He needed to get moving again. He sighed. Work work work, nothing but work. At least some of the masters seemed to like him. He, of course did not like them. Arcanists. He spat bitterly, Arcanists, abominations, skindancers, abominations, and me. How did I get into this? At least arithmetic seemed promising. Archives too, they both seemed to have more to do with you and less to do with mystical powers, not like naming. A horrible, horrible abomination. Most of his people were suspicious of the arcanists, but he hated them, hated them, ever since that incident with the rat...

Noremac gazed out the window of his Meteorology class. The clouds were especially puffy today, bright patches of cumulus. The professor... Gilldey? droned on and on about humidity and barometric pressure as he rapped a stick on the board. Noremac turned again to the sky. The sun was nice and warm on his face. Nice and warm...

Shwappp!

Noremac jolted awake at the sound of Professor Gilldey's stick smacking his desk. The class snickered as Noremac's face reddened. The professor did not look pleased. Now Noremac stood at the front of the class as he recited to everyone exactly what clouds were present in the sky today, the approximate wind speed, and the temperature. Professor Gilldey stood in the back, glancing out the window occasionally to check if Noremac was correct. He was only two degrees off on the temperature, and did not give the direction of the breeze, but Professor deemed it worthy, so he escaped with his life.

Luckily.

4 hours ago, Paranoid King said:

Incorrect, as Randuir clarified. The rules are somewhat unclear - it's probably from an older variation on them. The Golden Pony subtracts 1 DP, before the Masters get the chance to lay out their DP. 

4 hours ago, randuir said:

Actually, I asked Elbereth about this last turn, and she said this:

Please don't copy-paste anything directly from your GM PM. It's fine in this case, but as a general practice it's not okay. 

Please don't forget to submit lodging orders. A lot of people haven't yet. Many will die if they don't. Though, hey, I don't have a problem with that...

Just now, Elbereth said:

Please don't forget to submit lodging orders. A lot of people haven't yet. Many will die if they don't. Though, hey, I don't have a problem with that...

I say let em die.  Serves them right. :P 

Hmm, I might have to create a grave robber role for one of my games.

Dele was pleased with herself. She'd returned to her room to finish reading a book she'd picked up during the day after a long day of note taking and general research. For once, this book was not study related. It was but a novel. A book to read that wasnt for intellectual gain. And it was a long one too! She likely wouldn't sleep till it was done, as was her way. After this book, she had a pile of historical records for her to flick through. And then after that, she would work on her analysis of the students. She'd started assigning percentages to each student, however there were still too many neutrals for ther liking. And the percentages that deviated from the 50% barely did so. But it was a start. But for now, she had a book to read!

--

Ah lodging orders and the mercs on the street. Brings back memories heh... seriously, in lg18, they were more deadly than the poor skindancers. By far. >>  

Heh. Alv, you totally should. That could be quite fun :P

11 minutes ago, Burnt Spaghetti said:

Ah lodging orders and the mercs on the street. Brings back memories heh... seriously, in lg18, they were more deadly than the poor skindancers. By far. >>  

Truer words were never spoken. In one cycle, they killed like 6 people. And that was after I saw that the RNG wanted them to kill a bunch so I waited another day and then rerolled. >>

Okay, so I've re-read through the thread for the whole game, and it's a lot to try and remember.

Mostly it was clarifying of rules, advice on placing EP, arguing about a D1 vote, and then on turn 2 it has mostly been I told you so about the voting being a bad idea. 

Personally, I think we should start the discussion about how and who to vote on this turn. So far, only Wilson has a vote on her because she's safe at the golden pony for now. We need to talk about who we suspect, even if it's just a little. Discussion is the best way to get everyone's thoughts on what has happened so far. 

I've tried to analyze the thread for anything along these lines, but I haven't found much. So far all I've got are bad feelings about PK, HH, and Mage(Mage is probably evil after all ;)).

@Paranoid King I know I said that I wouldn't suspect you of being evil just because you started the voting, but reading back through your posts I got the feeling that you didn't care too much about what would happen to the people who got voted on. Everyone was repeatedly stating good arguments in the thread about why we shouldn't vote on that turn, yet you never removed your votes, or even appeared to consider trying to see their point of view. When turn 2 began you said that you had seen those posts, and considered removing your votes, but that their were already too many other votes to stop it at that point. That could be true, but I still don't like how you said others would probably have voted anyways if you hadn't. It would have been a good idea to at least try to get a no vote going. These are all just theories, and I kinda feel like you weren't trying to make anything negative happen. I just thought I should voice my thoughts on anything I thought suspicious(however minuscule).

@Hemalurgic_Headshot you said not to take the first turn too seriously, and then voted on someone without giving any reason other than tuition reduction, which you didn't really need because you're a noble. Why do you think we shouldn't have taken the first turn seriously?

For my suspicions on Magestar...I kinda just have a weird feeling about him...so don't take this one too seriously for now.

Does anyone else have any suspicions? Do you think we should vote on people on this turn? If we can freeze people's actions who we suspect of being skindancers wouldn't that be ideal instead of letting them send another person to the crockery this round? That is what happened to Silver, right? I assume it is since that was what happened in the right up, but could that have been merely for story purposes? There isn't any regular way to go insane yet, is there?

Anyhoo, I guess that's all for now....RP in a bit. :)

Edited by BrightnessRadiant

6 hours ago, randuir said:

Telar quickly leafed through his book on psychology. He was pretty sure he had read about something that could cause these students to suspect him. There, on page 568. "Hunger-induced paranoia". Now if he could just get them to eat a good meal, he'd be sure they'd stop worrying about him.

...On second thought, maybe telling them that they needed to eat more would be counter-productive. Telar sighed and walked on towards the inn. He just hoped this wouldn't turn into trouble for him.

Asking me to eat food??? You must be trying to poison us!!! AAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

But seriously. I'm certainly not saying I suspect you for being helpful. All I'm saying is that I know you are clever enough to come across as very helpful and still be an eliminator. Which means as of now I neither particularly suspect you nor particularly trust you.

In regard to other suspicions. PK seems to be gathering some attention.

I trust PK actually. They put themselves on the line to advocate a pretty risky D1 action, and I don't think that would be worth it for a skindancer. I disagreed with PK advocating that everyone vote, but I don't suspect them.

If I had to say I suspect someone... Hmmm... I didn't particularly like the way HH was so ready to throw around votes on people without solid reasoning. Also, the first vote he cast was on someone who already had a vote, which could be an honest mistake, but could be viewed in a different light...

Hmm... I might put a complaint on HH. I wouldn't mind roleblocking someone that I nominally suspect. HH, I'm sorry about that, because my suspicions on you aren't very strong.

But I do believe that we need to start voting based on real suspicions, instead of just voting on people who lodge in the golden pony to get tuition reductions. I realize that by casting this one vote, I am precipitating more votes being sent around. I want that to happen. I'm not against a high amount of voting, but I want it to be based on suspicions, not tuition.

Anyways... Time to continue RP, since I finally have some time for it.

The argument outside the fishery seemed to be getting louder. Greyson stole a peak out the window. A small crowd seemed to be angry at... William, if his recollection was accurate.

Greyson felt a little sorry for him. Sure, Greyson himself had disagreed with the student, but he didn't really think William was likely to be a skindancer. He didn't honestly expect anyone to be a skindancer.

Skindancers... Next they'll be saying one of the chandrian was attending the University in disguise. (That little remark was for you Aman :D)

And anyway, if William and some other students all reported each other, that was their own business. Greyson reported noone and got reported by noone, and that was fine by him.

Mostly, he was just annoyed at the argument. He needed to advance at the University, and that meant paying attention in all his classes. Especially a class in the arcane arts, like this one. He intended to become a full arcanist, and after all it took to get to the university he wasn't going to turn back. He didn't have time for distractions like that argument.

Greyson directed his attention back to the front of the class. The master artificer was just getting done explaining the basic idea of how a sympathy lamp works. As the class concluded, the students were reminded to keep learning the runes of sygaldry.

Greyson absentmindedly hummed the mnemonic the masters had given them to learn the basic runes. It was said Kvothe the Bloodless created it. Whether or not this was true, the masters seemed to think it would help students.

"Ule and doch are both for binding
Reh for seeking, Kel for finding

Gea key, Teh lock
Pesin water, Resin rock..."

The students filed out of the fishery. Greyson wondered what class he would have next...

He realized it was a physicking class, all the way at the other end of the university. He would be late if he didn't run. Greyson grabbed his bag and bolted for the door.

I think I know what made Ryth crack... I bet the course schedule says it all.

He was gasping for air as he barreled across the University, and around a corner... And straight into another student.

Greyson lost his balance and went down, hard. The side of his head struck the stone and there was a very slight ringing in his ears, along with a splitting pain. A steady stream of cursing in Siaru escaped his lips.

Anyone want to get run into? :P

Edited by Drake Marshall

Alas it seems as though I will have to drop out of this game. It also seems like I won't be able to play SE for the foreseeable future, 3 years at the minimum. 

Well.

It's a shame really, I used to just play to burn time, but lately I've actually attempted to get into the whole analysis thing and craps, slowly sure, but I was getting there. And now I don't get to play for the next three years hmph. 

Well, it's been a fun run you guys, been a blast playing with y'all, hope that I get to do this again sometime (Just hope nothing has changed too much >>)
This isn't a suicide note :P I'll pop in every now and again, this isn't a goodbye. Nor is it a contingency message.

I know that my other notes have sounded like suicide notes and crap...and some of you have been concerned about me.
But seriously, don't worry about me.

I'll pull through, with or without you all. I always do.

I'm not being cocky or anything, I guess this is my Kaladin moment, I've been strung up for the Stormfather's judgement heh. I never had an Honor Chasm moment thank god, but trust me. I'll be back. I'll open my eyes after the storm.

I always do.  

1 hour ago, Drake Marshall said:

But I do believe that we need to start voting based on real suspicions, instead of just voting on people who lodge in the golden pony to get tuition reductions. I realize that by casting this one vote, I am precipitating more votes being sent around. I want that to happen. I'm not against a high amount of voting, but I want it to be based on suspicions, not tuition.

I disagree here. Not saying I have any suspicion of you because of it, and actually I agree with basically everything in your first post this cycle. That being that basically the only method for the village gaining information is through abilities (other than thread analysis), and that we shouldn't vote for no reason. I just don't see where real suspicions at this point can come from.

I would argue that we essentially have the equivalent of 3 D1 lynches in this game, given that the first time anyone will have access to information from abilities will be turn 4. Day 1 lynches usually give very little information at the best of times, and that's when they actually give any. Our options when putting people on the horns include nothing happening, forcibly reducing someone's tuition by 5 jots, role blocking people who likely wont even have roles yet and delaying their leaning for 1-3 turns, or expelling someone, likely before they have had the chance of learning an ability (how bored would you be after that!!!). 2/4 are detrimental the village, the other 2/4 are inconsequential. The only way the village wins is if we fluke a skindancer expulsion, or somehow role block every singe skindancer.

If I were a skindancer, the best possible outcome for the first couple of cycles would be send someone insane every turn, and to have someone(s) that have not been elevated expelled every turn, because you'd be removing potential tools of investigation before they had a chance to exist.

I'm not against everyone voting for the sake of financial security. I'm Yllish, so not in the worst position, but I can understand others wanting the reduction pretty badly. However as randuir said about PK earlier, leaving it till 12 hours left in the cycle probably isn't enough time for people to come up with real suspicions, and enough of them that we're not staring down the barrel of an expulsion. I'm of the opinion we should be restricting votes to people that are in the Golden Pony, or everyone votes. And since yours is the only vote on someone who is not confirmed to be in the Golden Pony, I would like to see you remove it on HH's behalf.

3 hours ago, Elbereth said:

Please don't copy-paste anything directly from your GM PM. It's fine in this case, but as a general practice it's not okay. 

That was actually from last cycle's thread :P. I'm well aware I'm not supposed to quote my GM PM.

I agree with Eolhondras on voting, btw, but if Drake won't retract I do have two minor suspicions I can vote on. @Alvron, since you absolutely need the tuition reduction, you can also vote on me, as I'm staying at the pony. I'd appreciate it if you did that instead if Drake does retract his vote.

Edit: Also, @Darkness Ascendant, good luck with whatever you're going through.

Edited by randuir

Just now, randuir said:

I agree with Eolhondras on voting, btw, but if Drake won't retract I do have two minor suspicions I can vote on. @Alvron, since you absolutely need the tuition reduction, you can also vote on me, as I'm staying at the pony. I'd appreciate it if you did that instead if Drake does retract his vote.

Sadly I can't promise that as I'm about to log off for the rest of cycle.  Rollover really sucks for me this game as it's right when I finish work and we're not meant to use our phones/tablets while working.

@BrightnessRadiant, think C1 like a puzzle piece. You can't judge what the picture is by just one piece. Only after you have gathered multiple pieces and put them together can you truly understand the picture. C1 should not be taken seriously on its own.

Its a pity that DA is leaving us. Best of luck, mate.

Well, because I haven't been able to flip through the thread very much, school only leaves me with a few hours to be active, I don't have a major suspicion. I could always complain on Drake, as retaliation, but what would that do? 

Mage is in the back of my mind, as a possibility, but I'm not sure yet.

5 hours ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

For my suspicions on Magestar...I kinda just have a weird feeling about him...so don't take this one too seriously for now.

Lol.  Not a game goes by without someone getting a weird feeling about me.  Don't worry, it's perfectly normal, however, side effects may include soul consuming paranoia, intense feelings of doubt, and unfounded accusations. :P 

As far as expelling people goes... I'm a little concerned about it, actually.  Since we neither seem to be able to get everyone to vote nor everyone to abstain, we're stuck in a bit of a precarious position.  I'm considering voting on some random people, simply in order to spread the DP around.  I don't want to see people randomly getting offed just because some people need tuition reductions.

If we could restrict votes to people in the Golden Pony, that would be great, actually.  Do we know what happens in the case of a no vote?  I feel like it's probably nothing, but I'm unsure.

30 minutes ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Mage is in the back of my mind, as a possibility, but I'm not sure yet.

Lovely.  -sigh-  If someone could tell me what exactly I'm doing that incites suspicions like this, that would be great. :P